← Atheist offers to send letters post-Rapture

Atheist offers to send letters post-Rapture - Comments

Carter Maxwell's Avatar Comment 1 by Carter Maxwell

I haven't figured out why he gets hate mail on this. Obviously, he is being facetious, which is probably irritating to true believers, but if the rapture really comes, then he'll be stuck providing a service under who-knows-what kind of conditions. Maybe the people sending hate mail feel he is exploiting the fools who believe in this rapture stuff, but $4.99 isn't exactly going to force a gullible grandma into giving up her meds.

Wed, 09 May 2007 07:00:00 UTC | #36160

rokort's Avatar Comment 2 by rokort

So this guy offers comfort for the loved ones left behind -to my humble opinion a good thing- and gets hate-mail by folks normaly advocating that God equals love..................?

Religious belief is dangerous. Q.E.D.

Wed, 09 May 2007 07:05:00 UTC | #36161

Tobbe's Avatar Comment 3 by Tobbe

Brilliant. I wish I'd come up with that. I'll bet he's making a lot of money too. The beauty of it all is that you can't prosecute him on fraud charges without offending religious people who believe in this crap.

Wed, 09 May 2007 07:12:00 UTC | #36165

Keinen_Gott's Avatar Comment 4 by Keinen_Gott

Funny, I cant believe people bought into it though. People have been claiming the end is near for thousands of years.

Wed, 09 May 2007 07:19:00 UTC | #36170

maton100's Avatar Comment 5 by maton100

I'll be opening a Rapture delivery enforcement organization that acts as an insurance agency to protect these Christians from consumer fraud. After all, how will the ascended actually *know* the postman has delivered the message to their loved ones?

Wed, 09 May 2007 07:20:00 UTC | #36171

Dax's Avatar Comment 6 by Dax

Oh man, I wish I cam up with this... does he want to franchise his Mail Business?

Wed, 09 May 2007 07:31:00 UTC | #36177

Luthien's Avatar Comment 7 by Luthien

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:09:00 UTC | #36188

The Buxter's Avatar Comment 8 by The Buxter

Great idea... As mentioned, especially the part that you can't convict this man of fraud unless you deny the rapture, is great!

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:12:00 UTC | #36189

wagnerpe's Avatar Comment 9 by wagnerpe

Has anyone ever seen the God Who Wasn't There? The director interviews a guy who has a website just like this one for people who want to send rapture letters. How is this guy's website any different? So, basically Christians can't trust an atheist to do it. Ergo, he deserves hate mail. Is my logic off? I also wonder who this Christian guy in the film is trusting to send the rapture letters after he gets whisked up to heaven. There must be an atheist working behind the scenes. Oh, no.

Doesn't the fact that Christians are responding with such hate basically show that they feel threatened by what this guy is doing?. If they're so sure they're going up to heaven, why do they care if an atheist is the one to deliver their last words to the nonbelievers? Who better than an atheist to deliver letters after all the believers get whisked up to heaven? After all, we're the only ones that are going to be left.

I think what it comes down to is that Christians can't STAND the fact that atheists like us have the courage to point out the utter inanity of some of their beliefs and actions, especially when we turn a profit while doing it.

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:13:00 UTC | #36190

I'mNotAlone's Avatar Comment 10 by I'mNotAlone

Whoever thought that a website devoted to aetheism could give me so much enjoyment!
When I read TGD I kept laughing out loud. It confused the hell out of my wife who thought I was reading some dry, dusty tome. Now I read the forums and get some much amusement out of some of the entries - of which this is the latest!
According to popular folklore here in Britain, America (and a few other countries) doesnt understand sarcasm. Mr Witter has just driven a coach and horses through that idea!! Wonderful!

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:14:00 UTC | #36191

Bremas's Avatar Comment 11 by Bremas

Luthien

My laughter started slow and then just kept building as I thought about the fact that someone actually went through the trouble of getting a website to do this.

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:17:00 UTC | #36192

Agent Orange's Avatar Comment 12 by Agent Orange

My first article submission!

I will save you all the references to cherries and things popping and all that stuff.

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:18:00 UTC | #36194

John Phillips's Avatar Comment 13 by John Phillips

I wonder if he needs an UK branch :)

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:24:00 UTC | #36196

jonecc's Avatar Comment 14 by jonecc

John Phillips:

I've just emailed to ask him.

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:41:00 UTC | #36199

whupper's Avatar Comment 15 by whupper

"I get about 80% hate mail," Witter acknowledged.

Like the first post from Carter Maxwell, I also don't understand why he gets hate mail.

Another fine example of the vaunted Christian "tolerance".

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:51:00 UTC | #36206

John Phillips's Avatar Comment 16 by John Phillips

jonecc: Well if he does, I can give him a very, very long list of people who are guaranteed to be around after the rature :)

Wed, 09 May 2007 08:58:00 UTC | #36207

AgentofEvolution's Avatar Comment 17 by AgentofEvolution

Rational Response Squad takes on Christians on ABC

This deserves its own post.

Wed, 09 May 2007 09:06:00 UTC | #36208

exegesis_saves's Avatar Comment 18 by exegesis_saves

These guys had better not steal my idea for Rapture Insurance.

Wed, 09 May 2007 09:23:00 UTC | #36214

don malvado's Avatar Comment 19 by don malvado

Damn! You came up with that before me!

Wed, 09 May 2007 09:51:00 UTC | #36224

chadcross's Avatar Comment 20 by chadcross

Brilliant idea.

Wed, 09 May 2007 09:57:00 UTC | #36225

bruce's Avatar Comment 21 by bruce

I think another good idea would be a post-rapture pet sitting service. Unless I'm wrong, I don't think our furry friends are going to heaven with us, so somebody has to feed and water them.

Wed, 09 May 2007 10:11:00 UTC | #36229

Aaron SF's Avatar Comment 22 by Aaron SF

"Damn! You came up with that before me!

Wouldn't that be great, you'd have idiots send you money every month and you'd never have to do anything but provide comforting re-assurances."

Why does this sound sooo familiar?...

Wed, 09 May 2007 10:12:00 UTC | #36230

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 23 by kaiserkriss

This fellow has the right idea. Make some real cash on the fallacious beliefs of the believers. This is no worse than McDonalds providing junk food to junk food addicts.

Or for that matter the Churches selling their "junk", be it holly water, blessed statues, blessed Korans etc. for profit at bible shops and their like. He has just taken the next step.

Rapture Insurance sounds brilliant. Let the fundies put their money where their belief is.

Wed, 09 May 2007 10:25:00 UTC | #36237

FoundLink's Avatar Comment 24 by FoundLink

That was the best laugh I have had since I was a kid. A 24yr old kid came up with this? Brilliant, simple, but brilliant! You can't help, but hit your forehead with the heel of your palm and exalt," Why didn't I think of this?!". Have to go and wipe the tears from laughter off my face....

Wed, 09 May 2007 10:33:00 UTC | #36242

IJM's Avatar Comment 25 by IJM

This is brilliant full credit to the guy. I love the pet sitting idea too.

I will be in Monaco in a few days and am thinking of leaving flyers on the yachts there regarding, 'Post Rapture Care of the Boats of the Faithful.' Obviously this would be quite an undertaking as they are rather large and I can't do it by myself; anyone feel like a summer job?

Wed, 09 May 2007 11:04:00 UTC | #36248

Vadjong's Avatar Comment 26 by Vadjong

After this rapture thingie gets rid of all the repressed tight-asses, let's turn the now(/then) vacant Vatican into an adult amusement park (St. Peter's would make a great nightclub). We no longer have to hide the fact that we're sinful to the core, so LET'S PARTY like there's no tomorrow.
Order your (reasonably prized) tickets now.

Wed, 09 May 2007 11:18:00 UTC | #36257

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 27 by Cook@Tahiti

What about a Post-Rapture Legal Service?

Need your wills executed when you ascend? Just $666 up front.

Wed, 09 May 2007 11:34:00 UTC | #36262

Phaderus's Avatar Comment 28 by Phaderus

I like the subject, by I have a major problem with the article itself. I also noticed this in the press release about the debate between the RRS and Cameron:

Why are atheists always labeled as "self-described" in news articles?

Are they implying that we aren't really atheists, but are just pretending to stir up trouble, or do they think that we are just deluded? Or do we need to prove we are atheists by some other means than just saying it?

The only other time I see this added to someones description is when they are a total nut job, like a "self-described prophet", or "self-described psychic". I plan to start complaining to the writers when ever I see this condescending term attached to an atheist.

Wed, 09 May 2007 12:00:00 UTC | #36270

James Carroll's Avatar Comment 29 by James Carroll

Awesome idea. I should start my own branch of it where I live.

Wed, 09 May 2007 12:28:00 UTC | #36275

WeeWullie's Avatar Comment 30 by WeeWullie

So all believers get whisked off at the time of Rapture? And all non-believers get left behind? Without the believers?

Roll on Rapture!!!