← The Creation Museum: Prepare to believe

The Creation Museum: Prepare to believe - Comments

faouloki's Avatar Comment 1 by faouloki

It looks impressive, if only it had been built to teach something worthwhile. Such a waste of money and talent.

Tue, 15 May 2007 07:48:00 UTC | #38253

edge100's Avatar Comment 3 by edge100

"Prepare to leave your brain at the door..."

Tue, 15 May 2007 07:48:00 UTC | #38255

Robert Maynard's Avatar Comment 2 by Robert Maynard

...where are the primitive feathers on that raptor?

Oh, right.

Tue, 15 May 2007 07:48:00 UTC | #38254

adocarbog's Avatar Comment 4 by adocarbog

I hope they'll have Jesus fighting T-Rex for the souls of Neanderthals or something else that might be interesting for the non-brainwashed.

Tue, 15 May 2007 07:51:00 UTC | #38256

Bayle's Avatar Comment 5 by Bayle

"After that, we'll take guests on a journey through a visual presentation of the history of the world, based on the "7 C's of History": Creation, Corruption, Catastrophe, Confusion, Christ, Cross, Consummation. Throughout this family-friendly experience, guests will learn how to answer the attacks on the Bible's authority in geology, biology, anthropology, cosmology, etc., and they will discover how science actually confirms biblical history."

Great, immunize more people against rationality. If only there was a way to shut this place down. I'm SO sick of religion subverting reason. My mom, a fundamentalist Christian, is approaching menopause age also has hypothyroidism. She was told by her doctor to take calcium supplements, and I warned her to look for calicum citrate, not calcium carbonate, explaining that her body would absorb barely half if she took calcium carbonate. Later, she found that "calcium citrate is made in a lab! If I had known that I would've stuck with the shells" (which is what calcium carbonate pills are made from). "Are you insane?" I asked her, and she replied "I just don't trust science. Science is killing us!" She told me outright a few days later that most scientists are evil. I'm not lying or exaggerating. And now she's taking inadequate calcium supplements. Oh well, she can thank Jesus and her pastor for her osteoporosis.

Tue, 15 May 2007 07:58:00 UTC | #38259

Martin's Avatar Comment 6 by Martin

There's a lot of "evidence" and "truth" for sale in their webshop ... (guess not)

Tue, 15 May 2007 08:00:00 UTC | #38260

ModernMan's Avatar Comment 7 by ModernMan

The opening of this museum is excellent news for the rest of the civilised world. After all, if Americans insist on making sure that their children are taught religious dogma instead of science, there is a potentially huge economic advantage for us.

We'll be laughing all the way to the patent office!

Tue, 15 May 2007 08:11:00 UTC | #38266

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 8 by Eventhorizon

I couldnt help but notice that they open on Sundays. I'm now off to find the biggest stones I can carry!!

Tue, 15 May 2007 08:20:00 UTC | #38275

Fire1974's Avatar Comment 10 by Fire1974

Bayle: As long as were telling personal stories.

I come from a fundamentalist Christian family as well. My younger sister recently found herself with a drug problem (methamphetamine). As was obvious to me, her fundie upbringing did little to sway her from drug abuse. My mothers solution, "send her to a Christian rehab center where she will learn to let Jesus solve all her problems." Basically, replacing one false reality for another. There is not one trained, social worker or clinical psychologist at this place. Only "recovered" Christians.

Since this rehab was less than half the cost of a real place, (not to mention right up my parents delusional alley) I could do little to convince them to send her elswhere.

For the time being, I guess I'd rather have my sister surrounded by fundies than using drugs.

Tue, 15 May 2007 08:22:00 UTC | #38278

flashbaby's Avatar Comment 9 by flashbaby

I believe it will make a loss of at least $3.5M dollars a year by their own figures, so this is good news as it will divert money from elsewhere. They will be preaching to the choir in any event so this so called museum is not too much to worry about.

Tue, 15 May 2007 08:22:00 UTC | #38277

doodinthemood's Avatar Comment 11 by doodinthemood

How did the guy from answers in genesis get the money to do this?

Tue, 15 May 2007 08:25:00 UTC | #38279

booth's Avatar Comment 12 by booth

Oh how I would love to live in America just to visit it. I can see how that would be a whole day of laughs.

Tue, 15 May 2007 08:34:00 UTC | #38284

debaser71's Avatar Comment 13 by debaser71

Over at some museums there are creationist tours where people can go through the museum and get a tour about the bible and whatnot. Maybe some folk do something similar but to talk about science on the tour through the creationist museum.

Tue, 15 May 2007 08:47:00 UTC | #38288

plexer's Avatar Comment 14 by plexer

I'm about a 2 day trip away. I really want to go, but I don't want to pay. I'm in a real predicament.

and doodinthemood,

I remember reading that they got it mostly from private donations and the answers in genesis organization. The project cost $27 million. You think they could have helped the children in Africa with that kind of cash.

Tue, 15 May 2007 08:50:00 UTC | #38291

Tony B.'s Avatar Comment 15 by Tony B.

This is beyond offensive. I saw a recent news feature on this "museum" and it actually has raptors frollocking with human children. This is poisoning the minds of children. They interviewed parents on the report I saw and their glee at this spectacle made me want to puke. It is a perversion of science. Just obscene. I hope it gets hit by a meteor and burns to the ground. With no-one inside, of course.

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:01:00 UTC | #38294

Katherine's Avatar Comment 16 by Katherine

This Museum is one of the best adverts for atheism I have ever seen!

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:03:00 UTC | #38296

flyingscot's Avatar Comment 17 by flyingscot

Surely they have put this fallacious entertainment in the wrong location.
It belongs in the Magic Kingdom with all the other fairy tales.

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:05:00 UTC | #38297

Henri Bergson's Avatar Comment 18 by Henri Bergson

There should be a continual protest outside this offence to the human intellect.

It should be organised, otherwise children may not even realise it is controversial.

Or destroy it... (in a legal way)

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:12:00 UTC | #38300

Tony B.'s Avatar Comment 19 by Tony B.

I'm with Henri Bergson. 1000%

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:19:00 UTC | #38302

nrvous's Avatar Comment 20 by nrvous

Exhibit A (from the Creation Museum website)
Hours of operation (ET)
Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Exhibit B: (from Deuteronomy 5:12)
Observe the sabbath day and keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you.

Um....

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:28:00 UTC | #38305

Aaron SF's Avatar Comment 21 by Aaron SF

OH MY FRIGGIN somthin!!!! Why does the U.S.A Have to be so LAME!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

Raptors frolicking with children??? Forget the time scale how about the fact that preditors aren't kid friendly!!! AAAAAGH!!!

*Cries* this is so bad... so bad.

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:38:00 UTC | #38306

dinoboy's Avatar Comment 22 by dinoboy

I wanna go! I wanna go!

Many museums offer "professional courtesy" discounts for other museum employees...

I wonder if my Field Museum of Natural History badge will get me in for cheaper - hmm, or maybe I'll have to pay more. :)

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:40:00 UTC | #38308

Arcane Viper's Avatar Comment 23 by Arcane Viper

check this out:
tell me this doesn't make you mad to see that this fake science is being taught to children.

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:45:00 UTC | #38311

CruciFiction's Avatar Comment 24 by CruciFiction

PROTEST RALLY PLANNED

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:45:00 UTC | #38312

Tony B.'s Avatar Comment 25 by Tony B.

I guess the good reverend Falwell won't be making it to the grand opening. Oh, well. He's in a better place now.

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:48:00 UTC | #38314

agki's Avatar Comment 26 by agki

Did you notice they are open on Sunday? And get a load of the admission charge!

Hours
Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday* 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
*Memorial Day to Labor Day Only
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve/Day, New Year — Eve/Day

Admission
Adult (13-59 yrs) $19.95
Senior (60 yrs & up) $14.95
Children (5-12 yrs) $9.95
Children (under 5 yrs) Free
Planetarium with admission, $5

Tue, 15 May 2007 09:53:00 UTC | #38316

paulcaira's Avatar Comment 27 by paulcaira

I really, really hope that those people saying that it will be good publicity for atheism and turn (the god squad in) the US into a laughing stock are right.
An alternative scenario: Hollywood gets hold of this. It goes big time. It become bigger than Disney

.... and civilisaton as we know it collapses.

Tue, 15 May 2007 10:03:00 UTC | #38320

slummingangel's Avatar Comment 28 by slummingangel

why can't i protest want to so bad but there's 3,000 odd miles between me and there is there petitions i can sign online

Tue, 15 May 2007 10:06:00 UTC | #38322

Greg23's Avatar Comment 29 by Greg23

Jerry Falwell just died.

Dare I say, the world has become a little bit better place?

Tue, 15 May 2007 10:07:00 UTC | #38323

Bizarro Dawkins's Avatar Comment 30 by Bizarro Dawkins

"How did the guy from answers in genesis get the money to do this?"

Hehe, a few hundred of that came from me ;-)

Tue, 15 May 2007 10:09:00 UTC | #38325