← Majority of Republicans Doubt Theory of Evolution

Majority of Republicans Doubt Theory of Evolution - Comments

John P's Avatar Comment 1 by John P

[EDIT]Jumped back to close tags

Can you say Indoctrination?

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:18:00 UTC | #46557

Fezik's Avatar Comment 2 by Fezik

"The theory of evolution as an explanation for the origin and development of life has been controversial for centuries, and, in particular, since the 1859 publication of Charles Darwin's famous The Origin of Species."

How could the theory of evolution have been controversial before it came to be, exactly?

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:52:00 UTC | #46563

The Spaghetti Monster's Avatar Comment 3 by The Spaghetti Monster

What does evolution have to do with how man came to exist on earth?

Furthermore, is there no doubt associated with evolution…? If not, why has the theory not been declared a law by the scientific community? Now before you get all gunchy on me… I do know the theory and the assumptions it makes. Evolution is our best explanation for diverse life on this planet… Yeah, so what?

It does not address initial cause and offers no explanation of such. Again, to write a headline that claims republicans (in an obvious attempt to marginalize them) have doubt in evolution is flat out stupid. I say, who the hell doesn't have 'any' doubt regarding the theory.

Choose your words more carefully….. Lest you be labeled a bona fide moron.

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:59:00 UTC | #46564

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 4 by helen sotiriadis

everybody who's weary of having to again explain what the word 'theory' means in science, just raise your hands.

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:14:00 UTC | #46568

GodlessHeathen's Avatar Comment 5 by GodlessHeathen

Closing HTML tags.

Yeah, I'm rather tired of explaining how the word "theory" is used in science, too. Tired of people thinking evolution somehow includes the origin of life (it's origin of species in the title, folks. Please!)

Also tired of the same old non-arguments that are trotted out every time.

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:40:00 UTC | #46572

Major Bloodnok's Avatar Comment 6 by Major Bloodnok

Don't forget "tired of explaining that 'Law' doesn't just mean 'a better Theory', but is a completely different concept".

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:58:00 UTC | #46575

Fire1974's Avatar Comment 7 by Fire1974

Hand Raised.
There is an excellent correlation between lack of understanding the theory of evolution and doubting it. All the 'reasons' for doubting come from a perspective of ignorance. The believers relish in their ignorance because it allows them the posibility of faith. The two are inseparable. Hence, when one doesn't understand how heredity came to be on this planet, they assume 'God did it' and their faith allows them to have confidence in this because that's what the 'virtue' of faith is. You get to assume something as a result of your ignorance on the topic and think youself wise and Pascalistically prudent for doing so.

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:00:00 UTC | #46577

jonecc's Avatar Comment 8 by jonecc

The poll indicates that a majority of Republican voters don't just doubt the theory of evolution in a philosophical, theoretical kind of a way, but actively assert a belief in Biblical creation. Have we marginalised them, as The Spaghetti Monster suggests, or have they marginalised themselves?

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:02:00 UTC | #46578

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 9 by DavidMcC

Only 14% of Americans accept unguided evolution as the process by which humanity came to exist. Very sad.
__________

Fezik, the concept of evolution existed before Darwin published his famous book. I suspect that he just made it more controversial, by taking it to its logical conclusion.

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:05:00 UTC | #46579

jonecc's Avatar Comment 10 by jonecc

Also, a "bona fide" moron would be someone who acted moronically in good faith. Not someone who believed without evidence to a high standard, but someone who was trustworthy - the phrase is Classical Latin, and predates Christianity. I'm not sure what Spag Bol meant, but I don't think it was that.

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:06:00 UTC | #46580

CJ22's Avatar Comment 11 by CJ22

It seems to me that highly republican, highly religious people are essentially 'Un-American', in a non-pejorative sense, given the fact that the nation was founded on 'liberal democratic' principles. Republicans aren't liberals, and right-wing christians aren't democratic. You'd best keep an eye on them buggers.

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:20:00 UTC | #46582

konquererz's Avatar Comment 12 by konquererz

I just raised both hands for those of you who couldn't see me.

I say, who the hell doesn't have 'any' doubt regarding the theory.

Um, anyone who really studies it, or pays attention in school, or simply reads a well presented book. Yeah, pretty much all of the intellectual community is lacking 'any' doubt about the theory.

Choose your words more carefully….. Lest you be labeled a bona fide moron.

Word

But what does this article tell us? It is yet more evidence for evolution! Republicans are very obviously the last link in the evolutionary chain that led to current intelligent human beings! LOL No offense to republicans on the board, you know that chit was funny!

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:32:00 UTC | #46595

Logicel's Avatar Comment 13 by Logicel

Spagettio's wrote: What does evolution have to do with how man came to exist on earth?
_______

The neutered one can chow down on these answers:

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:22:00 UTC | #46605

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 14 by Ivan The Not So Bad

If only they would take up the challenge.......

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:26:00 UTC | #46644

ignored_ethos2's Avatar Comment 15 by ignored_ethos2

"If anyone pulls the "evolution is only a theory" argument on me, I always ask them if they would like to go and test the "theory of gravity" by stepping off a tall building."

I have had the occasion of having this argument and I can tell you that you would not get very far before the theist states that it should be the "law of gravity". I know, I know but apparently many theists don't.

And in saying so, they inadvertently make a great argument for more effective science education programs in America. However, at this point, what's an honest atheist supposed to do?

I hate to admit it but I really don't argue with creationists/xians or much of anyone anymore.

Once upon a time, perhaps, but I am just about fed up with repeating myself.

I'm thinking of making flashcards and custom t-shirts to make it easier.

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:26:00 UTC | #46690

flobear's Avatar Comment 16 by flobear

I'm 84% sure that this article is definitely interesting and 78% sure that it's definitely not.

Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:45:00 UTC | #46978

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 17 by phasmagigas

so 19% of americans dont believe in evolution because they believe in jesus christ, hmmm, I wonder if the questioners give out hostess cake bars to those who give that answer, its quite likely that they really like those too.

Fri, 15 Jun 2007 05:21:00 UTC | #47114

Keinen_Gott's Avatar Comment 18 by Keinen_Gott

I am tired of reading reports like this! I am an American and it makes me sad to hear how uneducated my country is.

Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:44:00 UTC | #47687