← CNN Request for 'I-Reports' on religion

CNN Request for 'I-Reports' on religion - Comments

drive1's Avatar Comment 1 by drive1

Can you fix the link, please (remove the %3C/blockquote%3E at the end). Ta.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:18:00 UTC | #61591

ICONIC FREEDOM's Avatar Comment 2 by ICONIC FREEDOM

My support always for these requests; my post was the following:

Greetings,

I don't need to live by faith since I live by the foundations of compassion, responsibility and accountability toward mankind and seek the natural sciences for exploration, inspiration and awe.

I need no superstition, such as god is, which indulges in bigotry, racism and the denial of science, for such precepts do not live within except through the indoctrination of religion itself, which relegates reason to fantasy and logic to fanaticism.

"Faith is believing in something when COMMON SENSE tells you not to" - Maureen O'Hara, Miracle On 34th Street.

Cheers,
Greg Wirth
New York, NY

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:31:00 UTC | #61597

Unknown's Avatar Comment 3 by Unknown

People need to learn to read.

"Are you one of the millions of people who live by faith? Do you believe religion is under attack in modern society? Have the lines blurred too much or not enough between religion and politics?"

I think it says enough about the commenter reading skills.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:41:00 UTC | #61600

Deoradh's Avatar Comment 4 by Deoradh

Done, I posted the following

"Religion is not so much under attack. It's, when faced with reason, asked to prove itself by giving evidence it has nothing to fight with. Except sticking it's fingers in its ears and yelling "I believe"

Religion is used as a tool by cynical politicians who don't believe in god to get the gullible to vote for them. Statistically there has to be more than one atheist in Congress.

When you compare the beliefs of the religious with the facts, religion is small, pathetic, restricting. The more you learn about nature, science, history, art, philosophy, mythology and the cosmos, the more inspiring life is.

We are all made of Stardust, set your mind free"

Are the any more current surveys or polls out there. Larry King 71% on a roll

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:46:00 UTC | #61602

ICONIC FREEDOM's Avatar Comment 6 by ICONIC FREEDOM

Unknown, is your statement about the posts we've made or the manner in which the website at CNN posed the question?

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:56:00 UTC | #61606

Alex Malecki's Avatar Comment 5 by Alex Malecki

I wrote:

Religion is certainly under attack in modern society, and this is fortunate for all humankind living now, and those who will live in the future. Science and reason are corrosive entities that wash away the human impulse to believe in the cosmic significance of our species. In reality, every being that has ever walked this planet has been but a chemical reaction inside a grain of salt in the vast cosmic ocean. How wonderful it is to have such a tool as science to deflate our ego inflated misconceptions.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:56:00 UTC | #61605

Blueboy5's Avatar Comment 7 by Blueboy5

I wrote:

People of faith have wrapped themselves in a safety blanket because they are afraid of reality. I feel sorry for anyone who's too afraid to face the truth. They have created elaborate myths and alternate realities where their faith is something good, all in an effort to make their cowardice honourable.

To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens, "the wall between church and state needs to be reinforced and built higher". A failure to do this and the United States is in real danger of becoming some kind of 'fear-based' theocracy rather than the democracy that 'faced any challenge' and defeated fascism and communism. I suppose if the majority of Americans are cowards and embrace faith and fear (something I seriously doubt), then they can wrap themselves in their superstitious ignorance but shouldn't be too surprised when they end up a foot note right along with Afghanistan and Iran as failed religious states.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:58:00 UTC | #61608

ClemIsMe's Avatar Comment 8 by ClemIsMe

I find no hope in faith. Just the opposite, really. I find faith allows people to make decisions based on something other than solid, hard earned evidence or rational consideration. I think this leads to negative consequences, as often as not, that many times could have been avoided if reason was valued more than lust and fear.

I am in the camp of Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and Dennet. If this means I am attacking faith, then I am. Through conversation, however, and that's an important point. Should a time ever come that anyone in my country is threatened with punitive actions for their faith, I will be the first to shout, and will not hesitate to fight. My fellow Americans are guaranteed the right to faith even as I am guaranteed the right to a lack of faith. Attacking someone's intellectual position is perfectly acceptable and should be encouraged, but in the end our minds are our own. I will not stand beside any atheist - or theist - who would take that fundamental right away.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:06:00 UTC | #61610

RHMC's Avatar Comment 9 by RHMC

I just posted: "Religion casts a dark shadow. Time to shed some light on bronze-age myth.

My world view does not contain supernaturalism nor mysticism."

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:08:00 UTC | #61612

monoape's Avatar Comment 10 by monoape

I have faith that the bright light of science and rational thought will expose religion and superstitious belief for what they are: Bronze Age nonsense that has perpetuated ignorance and indoctrinated generation after generation of children with utter nonsense.

Religion and irrational belief is certainly under attack: almost three hundred years after The Age of Enlightenment, when the suffocating stupidity of religion was first pushed away, we now need to push again. The legions of the gods are killing each other all around the planet ... because their god is the 'One True God (tm)'. Religious leaders are condemning thousands to death because their god doesn't like condoms. Religious spokesmen tell us that devastating floods are caused not by (the overwhelming evidence for) global warming but by gays and 'sinful' people.

The wording of this 'ireport' on a major news carrier shows how the USA is in danger of slipping back in to the Dark Ages of unquestioning religious, superstitious ignorance.

May the gods, goblins and leprechauns save us all before it's too late.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:24:00 UTC | #61620

masrock2ndaccount's Avatar Comment 11 by masrock2ndaccount

my contribution:

I have no desire or need for faith in my life. Faith is just believing what someone else has told you without any evidence. Religion should be under attack from every quarter as it promotes closed mindedness and bigotry, fear and hatred. It holds back progress by clinging to ideas first thought up in the iron age by people ignorant of the world. Yes the line between religion and politics has blurred dreadfully in a way that alarms the world. Finally, I never worship anything, I prefer to use my brain to think for myself, discovery of knowledge is a far more useful use of my time.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:27:00 UTC | #61623

impious's Avatar Comment 12 by impious

I think we should also write to CNN about how morality is innate in us and does not come from the so called holy books? In mainstream media, one of the most annoying and frustrating questions asked is "Where do the atheists get their morals from?", implying that one can not have morals without belief in a god.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:35:00 UTC | #61625

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 13 by Cook@Tahiti

Two words: Grow up

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:35:00 UTC | #61626

cassdenata's Avatar Comment 14 by cassdenata

My contribution

I am one of the millions of people who doesn't live by faith. I am one of the millions of people that knows that there are some things I have control over to improve my life and those around me but other things are left to blind chance and are nobodies fault for not praying enough or being devout enough. I am one of those people who has acknowledged that since there is no afterlife, this beautiful existence is our only chance to truly savor this thing called life. I am one of the billions who has realized that dogma of any kind must be held up to the light of reason and that moral and lifestyle choices are our own to make, not handed down by a big brother in the sky. I am one of the billions of people who choose to be good to our fellow human beings, creatures and the earth on its own merits, without fear of hellfire and eternal damnation.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:03:00 UTC | #61628

nogodude's Avatar Comment 15 by nogodude

Here's my post to CNN, just tryin to do my part.

"Are you one of the millions of people who live by faith?" Absolutely NOT! Religion/Faith is nothing more than myth, wishful thinking for those who have not taken the time to think for themselves. This planet will be much better off when people finally evolve out of this and religion is put on the shelf with all other myths and fanasy where it belongs. I never gave it a lot of thought until the Repubs and Bush took over. That was when I realised just how destructive a force power and religion can be. It is truly the most destructive force ever known. It's too bad that so many people have been indoctrinated/brainwashed into this BS from early childhood. That is really the only way to get people to believe in the absurd.
thanks,
No god here

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:06:00 UTC | #61630

kylelw's Avatar Comment 16 by kylelw

My post to CNN:

Religious faith is under attack, as it should be in a MODERN society. Religion is a left-over concept from humanity's infancy. A humanity that has outgrown its need for such unenlightened, superstitious stories about the nature of our world. We learn so many things about how our world works every day through science and reason, things that crush religion's mythological explanations for our world.

When it comes down to a head-to-head comparison of what will help humanity survive to see the next century, praying won't stop global climate change, science will. Praying hasn't and won't ever cure a single disease, but science has and will continue to. Burying our heads in the sand and praying to a mythological deity won't save us from the serious challenges this world faces, but the work of rational, thinking men will, as it always has. Religion and the religious are under attack in the modern world because they try to deny reality, to EVERYONE'S peril.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:06:00 UTC | #61631

sane1's Avatar Comment 17 by sane1

My Post:

No, I do not live by faith, I do not live by magic, I do not live by the "Secret" , and I do not live by anything supernatural. I do live by reason and evidence, and what science can tell me about the world. Faith is corrosive, and anti-truth. The debiltating dynamics of belief start with the foolishness of religion, but do not end there.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:15:00 UTC | #61637

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 18 by Agrajag

For what it's worth, I sent the following:

I am the grandson and nephew of two Presbyterian clergymen. I spent five years in a church choir and hung out with a church group all through high school. At no time in my life did I ever actually believe in any god or other supernatural entity, except Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. At this stage in my life, I consider myself a firm non-believer, or atheist. The encroachment of religion on politics and other peoples' personal lives is something I find worrisome. The "wall of separation" seems somewhat threatened these days.
For the record, so you have some idea of what sort of person would believe these things:
I am a 57-year-old white male. I am married (25 years yesterday) with two well-adjusted, successful, considerate children. I possess a doctoral degree in dentistry with a specialty certificate. I am on the faculty of a public university. I am concerned for the welfare of other people and for the protection of the environment.

Steve

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:19:00 UTC | #61639

3ddm's Avatar Comment 19 by 3ddm

I don't often find the time to post anything, but this one got my hackles up, I posted the following.

Faith is simply non-thinking - I prefer to think. I prefer evidence over dogma and one would expect nothing less of a news agency. It is sad and a little pathetic that you should even feel the necessity to pose such questions. Why not try enlightening your viewers to the wonders of the real universe rather than pandering to their fears and primitive superstitions.
Religion belittles the human intellect and I reject it.

I feel a little better now :)

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:20:00 UTC | #61640

sane1's Avatar Comment 20 by sane1

Steve: Nice job!

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:26:00 UTC | #61643

benjamin.mpls's Avatar Comment 21 by benjamin.mpls

Here's what I wrote:

I am one of the millions of people who do not live by faith. I see faith as a bankrupt virtue used only to shield oneself from reality and honest criticism. If faith is the acceptance of metaphysical assertions with no basis in testable reality, then we could use a lot less faith in society.

Faith is not necessary to live a moral, selfless and fulfilling life. Faith is necessary to convince otherwise good people of evil things. If you can convince someone that it is a virtue to accept vague notions with no evidence to back it up, then you can convince them to believe the most foolish and wicked things. Religion: case and point.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:27:00 UTC | #61644

Bob Russell's Avatar Comment 22 by Bob Russell

This is my I-report to CNN:

"I do not believe in ignorant, blind faith. I believe in reason, evidence and strive to do no harm to others. I do not believe in ghosts, goblins, gods, prime movers, spirits - holy or otherwise, creators, priests, nuns, preachers, imams any other such rubbish. I feel nothing but pity for the deluded faithful and only contempt for the charletans and necromancers who fleece them of their money and give them false hope."

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:56:00 UTC | #61649

Christian Tellefsen's Avatar Comment 23 by Christian Tellefsen

I wrote the following:

I'm an atheist.

I have no faith, but I have beliefs. I believe that this is the only life I have, making it all so much more precious. There will be no rewards or punishments after I'm dead, no more time, and no making up for any wrongs I may have done. I can only try to make this one life a good life, and try to be good to other people I meet along the way.

I have no faith, but I have hope. I hope that the human race can discard the iron age superstitions of its intellectual and spiritual infancy and enter an age of reason and understanding. Perhaps people will see the beauty of life, of the world and of the cosmos as it really is. Maybe we will stop hating and killing and exterminating each other for believing in the wrong dogmas and myths.

I have no faith, there is nothing out there to have faith in, but there is more to understand and enjoy and live for than any one of us has time for.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:03:00 UTC | #61651

BAEOZ's Avatar Comment 24 by BAEOZ

My 2 cents:

I do not live by faith. Faith is belief without evidence, and is thus dishonest. I do not have faith that a god punished all people for the mistake of one woman, and that he later incarnated himself so that he could feign death to take away the punishment he inflicted, so long as we surrender reason and freedom to this god. This is because there is no evidence to support this horror story. I do not have faith in any god for the same reason. When people of faith present evidence and reason instead of metaphysic and emotion, I may change that stance. Until then it is imperative that faith is kept in the private sphere, and that reason guide the ship of state. Sadly, faith is a treacherous master and many under its yoke are trying to force people who don't share their faith into following their faith driven morality and lifestyle. This is a grave danger for all lovers of freedom.

Meh, I can't write, but I think they get the idea.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:07:00 UTC | #61654

ksskidude's Avatar Comment 25 by ksskidude

My submission

I am an atheist, I have no faith at all. I do not believe in magic, fairies, fairy tales, elves, unicorn's, Zeus, Thor or Athena. I can not prove that any of these things or god's exist or don't exist, but I can make an educated guess.
Science and reason and logic have provided enough evidence for me to come to the conclusion that there is no god, just like there is no Santa Claus. If one does thier dudiligence and still decides to believe, so be it. Just please don't legislate it. There is no proof, thus the need for faith.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:15:00 UTC | #61658

akitagod's Avatar Comment 26 by akitagod

Sure, why not? Here's mine:

I do not subscribe to any kind of faith based on superstition or spiritual plane. I think that the universe is a wholly natural environment, and that everything in it has a natural explanation and function. If religion is "under attack", I think it is only because the human species is entering a new era, where our understanding of the world, and our technological advances have caused us to view the universe from a new perspective. The current blurring of religion and politics, is in part, a fearful reaction by people who wish to keep faith in a position of power. On the other hand, its not much different now than it has been for centuries.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:28:00 UTC | #61661

Fire1974's Avatar Comment 27 by Fire1974

This is the least we can do. I posted but sent it to quickly without saving it. You all don't need to read it anyway, 'they' do. I hope everyone here posts, even Darwin2 and Wee Flea and the like. Although, I doubt they'll have anything interesting to say to their own ilk.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:41:00 UTC | #61664

Yorker's Avatar Comment 28 by Yorker

I too wrote a CNN comment but see no need to repeat it here.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:48:00 UTC | #61666

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 29 by phil rimmer

Maybe I just spoiled my ballot paper, I don't know.

I got this view of them churning through our responses saying, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Atheist. Atheist. Anabaptist. Christadelphian..."

So I wrote-

"Private Faith. Public cynicism. I am measured by my deeds not my beliefs. Public discourse, the workings of society, can proceed only on the common substrate of rational, cynical debate. Only this way are all included on an equal footing.

The details of my Faith should not be a matter for anyone but me. People (especially the media) lazily use a person's faith as a litmus test of their moral character. This is crass in the extreme. Keep out of it."

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:01:00 UTC | #61671

cassdenata's Avatar Comment 30 by cassdenata

Oh crap. I just got a voicemail from CNN about my submission, only about an hour after I sent it in. I included a picture of me doing research in a wetland and described how I find the natural world so amazing, that religions don't even compare. I'm not sure I'm ready to come out to a wide-scale audience as an atheist.

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:07:00 UTC | #61673