← Bad Faith Awards: Vote for the winner now

Bad Faith Awards: Vote for the winner now - Comments

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 1 by Cartomancer

Chuck Norris. I hate the bearded gurning Bruce Lee knock off...

No! Wait! I wanna change to Ratzinger!

No! the odious Phelps Cult!

No! the Bishop of Carlisle!

Oh, there are just too many of them to choose from. Maybe I'll just follow Father Ted's advice and leave a pad and pencil out all night in the hope that god writes down who I should vote for.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 15:53:00 UTC | #90073

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 2 by Dr Benway

"Bad faith" to me means insincere "cake-and-eat-it-too-ishness."

Due to apparent sincerity, I would leave off Dawkins, Westboro Baptist Church, and the Pope. Many others I can't judge.

D'Souza fits the bill, but I'd hate to give him the satisfaction of so much attention.

Difficult choice. Hmm.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 15:55:00 UTC | #90075

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 3 by Cook@Tahiti

What about the Sudanese or Saudi courts?

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 15:56:00 UTC | #90076

Eamonn Shute's Avatar Comment 4 by Eamonn Shute

What, no moslems?

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 15:58:00 UTC | #90079

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 5 by Dr Benway

Chuck Norris! Why?

1. The atttention cannot further enlarge his maximized ego.

2. The juxtaposition of cartoon-like head-crackin' violence and the messiah who taught "love thy enemies" surely involves some ol'-school Sartre-certified bad faith.

Where is "Rage Boy" on this list?

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:02:00 UTC | #90081

Tanglewood's Avatar Comment 6 by Tanglewood

Yeah, turns out they just want to give someone an award, not get themselves blown into a million itty-bitty pieces.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:04:00 UTC | #90083

Stephen Maxwell's Avatar Comment 7 by Stephen Maxwell

Wow!

Spoilt for choice. As a Scot, I get particularly pissed off with the Keith O'Brien comment (which I never knew he made). But in the grand scheme of things Archbishop Francisco Chimoio surely takes the biscuit.

What's the chances of Chuck Norris becoming President?
Who takes the Church of England seriously these days?
Not even Christians want to associate themselves with Westboro Baptist Church.

But I have a scary feeling that people from Mozambique might actually listen to what this guy says about condoms.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:57:00 UTC | #90110

Pilot22A's Avatar Comment 8 by Pilot22A

We need more Chuck Norris's. These guys are so wacko that their actions even make the Bible-Thumping crowd cringe.

Saturate (if that's possible) the entire Web with Xian Nimrods like him, and let them do our job for us, showing just how idiotic religion is.

ps to the Chuckster - I'm about a gazillion years old but you might want to think twice about betting you will ever be able to tattoo "In god we trust" on my forehead. I'll bet you couldn't do it without losing any eyeball or two.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:59:00 UTC | #90113

Ty_Webb's Avatar Comment 9 by Ty_Webb

I actually think that most of those people actually further our cause. The Westboro lot are so shockingly awful that they are a great example of what religion can do.

As to the person who will cause the most people to die, I'd give that to Chimoio. Lies like that make me wish that there was a hell.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:02:00 UTC | #90115

Foth's Avatar Comment 10 by Foth

Haha... D'Souza in the lead.

He's my favorite.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:03:00 UTC | #90116

Storeo's Avatar Comment 11 by Storeo

I'm quite fond of the Phelps, whenever they debate a moderate religious individual on the credence of the moderates beliefs, the moderate gets absolutely destroyed due to the fact that the Phelps actually take that book seriously. Of course they're absolute lunatics, but its handy to have them around. D'Souza on the other hand...

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:21:00 UTC | #90127

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 12 by Cook@Tahiti

Alistair McGrath gets my vote for the "Biggest Waste of Time" award.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:24:00 UTC | #90128

Kell's Avatar Comment 13 by Kell

Alister McGrath gets my vote for the "Biggest Waste of Time" award

Alistair McGrath gets the award for "Faith That Is, Indeed, Grateful For The Opportunity To Enter Such A Dialogue That Benefits The Furtherance Of Debate, While Engaging Fully With The Welcome Questions Raised By This Award And *THUNK* zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....."

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:44:00 UTC | #90136

NormanDoering's Avatar Comment 14 by NormanDoering

Why isn't George Bush on the list?

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:47:00 UTC | #90137

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 15 by Dr Benway

Ok, you have my permission for D'Souza to win, provided he ties with something truly awful, like the Phelps crowd.

"Pastor Fred Phelps and Dinesh D'Souza together share this year's head-smackin' "he said whaa?" Bad Faith award!

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:56:00 UTC | #90142

gyokusai's Avatar Comment 16 by gyokusai

I'm pretty much used to thinking in terms of who could inflict the greatest possible damage and when and how---and although General Sir Richard Dannatt is a strong contender in this regard for reasons I don't want to go into, Archbishop Francisco Chimoio tops the list in the most ghastly way.

(Of course, the papal ban on condoms is helping millions along to their afterlife anyway, even w/o Chimoio ... but we should really exclude Pope Benedict XVI here so others have a chance, and give him an evilness life achievement award or something instead.)

^_^J.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 18:04:00 UTC | #90146

JackR's Avatar Comment 17 by JackR

Out of that list, D'Souza. Ben Stein should have been there too, though.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 18:25:00 UTC | #90148

Lord of the Morning's Avatar Comment 18 by Lord of the Morning

Wow i didn't know Ben Stein was off his rocker. didn't know about Chuck Norris either. Truly a sad day.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 18:48:00 UTC | #90150

John Pritzlaff's Avatar Comment 19 by John Pritzlaff

Archbishop Chimoio's case is the most serious, and the most dishonest. I mean, he tells these people that condoms will give them AIDS, but he's causing them to get AIDS by telling them not to wear condoms! But then again D'Souza has been the most prolific as of late, in America. I actually like that Dawkins is on this list, because there's something so freethinker-ish about allowing such a heretical nomination. Norris just plain pisses me off, because he's so annoying and there's actually a good chance some people might listen to him on the basis of his fame and supposed coolness (even though his his coolness was something of a parody-fad). But ultimately, I guess I've got to go with the Pope, for his prevalence, punctuated by his retarded new encyclical, and the fact that he's the leader of guys like the aforementioned Archbishop Chimoio.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:19:00 UTC | #90154

dragonfirematrix's Avatar Comment 20 by dragonfirematrix

Okay, okay, this is tough.

I am comfortable with taking one out of the list, but that leaves nine others who should be make the winner's circle.

Can I pick nine winners?

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:21:00 UTC | #90157

cowalker's Avatar Comment 21 by cowalker

In the second encyclical of his papacy, Benedict urges Christians to put their hope for the future in God and not in technology, wealth or political ideologies which can often be deluding.

Atheism could be regarded by some as a "type of moralism", particularly in the 19th and 20th centuries, to protest against the injustices of the world and world history, he said.

Reciting arguments made by atheists, he said: "A world marked by so much injustice, innocent suffering, and cynicism of power cannot be the work of a good God. A God with responsibility for such a world would not be a just God, much less a good God."

History has proven wrong ideologies such as Marxism which say humans had to establish social justice because God did not exist, the Pope wrote.

I voted for Pope Rat as the most dangerous enemy of reason. He claims Christianity is not an ideology. He claims atheism "could be" a type of moralism. He states the arguments of atheists but doesn't bother to refute them. All that history has proven is that humans practicing versions of Marxism in the Soviet Union, China and Cuba did not succeed in establishing social justice. That proves nothing about whether humans need to establish social justice because there is no God. He might as well say that history has proven wrong the belief that national organizations should aid disaster victims, because FEMA, under the direction of a former employee of the International Arabian Horse Association, failed to help Katrina victims in 2005. Just give up and pray, right?

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:00:00 UTC | #90163

MaxWeiss's Avatar Comment 22 by MaxWeiss

NNNoooooooooo.... not Chuck Norris. I would be upset if his tears didn't cure both cancer and AIDS.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:07:00 UTC | #90166

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 23 by prettygoodformonkeys

The "Enemy of Reason" winner has to be D'Souza. They are all deluded in their own way, and have individual issues with reason, but he is the most energetic in searching out ALL forms of reason and doing his utmost to twist them into unrecognizable shapes. He has no pet; he attacks all reason.

First prize should be an "Enema of Reason": an emulsion of the complete works of R.J. Ingersoll and, let's say, beet juice, administered to the unadulterated strains of "Imagine", by J. Lennon.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:30:00 UTC | #90167

Ian's Avatar Comment 24 by Ian

How about the people who did the hatchet job on Anthony Flew?

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:43:00 UTC | #90170

MarcCountry's Avatar Comment 25 by MarcCountry

I'm not surprised to see Dinesh D'Souza out in a comfortable lead... he got my vote.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:54:00 UTC | #90172

tman's Avatar Comment 26 by tman

D'Souza is the King Douche. Vote for this shit head. He is polluting the public sphere with soo much disinformation. It's a crime.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:55:00 UTC | #90173

nogodsever's Avatar Comment 27 by nogodsever

Of course, if he wins, D'Souza will wear it as a badge of honor. He will probably write an essay about how he's The Man Atheists Fear Most or some nonsense, and claim he has us scared and on the run, after his recent debates with our leading lights.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:12:00 UTC | #90176

Nick Good's Avatar Comment 29 by Nick Good

I'd nominate the New Humanists themselves for promulgating a 'bad faith' award whilst displaying very clear cowardice that amounts to self inflicted Dhimmitude by not even nominating one Muslim whilst we have http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/index.html#Attacks

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 22:38:00 UTC | #90185

ADParker's Avatar Comment 28 by ADParker

It was a tough call, but I had to vote for D'Souza.
It was the "most scurrilous enemy of reason" that tipped the scale. All of them (except the obvious of course) are pretty bad misuses or plain old abandonment of reason, but D'Souza's method of twisting (pseudo)reason to his own ends most aptly epitomises the meaning of the award I felt.

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 22:38:00 UTC | #90184

GBile's Avatar Comment 30 by GBile

'Kill a commie for christ'

Oh, nostalgia ...