← Ad 'likely to offend gay people'

Ad 'likely to offend gay people' - Comments

El Dubious Mung's Avatar Comment 1 by El Dubious Mung

"The group defended the poster, citing gay organisations' manifesto documents from the 1970s which described the traditional family unit as working against homosexuality."

Of course the "traditional" family unit works against homosexuality. That's why the family unit has and needs to change. The "traditional" family will likely ostracize and condemn its gay members. That doesn't make it proper.

I mean, I'm all for free speech. I could care less that it's inflammatory. I'm a fan of Howard Stern, myself. What I don't like is falsehoods, and I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that a gay couple can't raise a kid.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:32:00 UTC | #116970

mesomodel's Avatar Comment 2 by mesomodel

I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that a gay couple can't raise a kid.

I've seen firsthand that a gay couple can raise kids, and do it better than the "traditional" family.

One of my very good friends is a lesbian in a long, committed relationship, and together they've been raising a kid for the last ~12 years. The boy is a damn fine young man.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:36:00 UTC | #116972

DrShell's Avatar Comment 3 by DrShell

From the 1970s! So current as that! /sarcasm

And, gosh, maybe that literature refers to the hegemonic tyranny of the "traditional family unit" as working against gay rights, not the existence of people living in those families? Like, gay right activists didn't want to eradicate the traditional family, only dethrone it? Dismantle the heirarchy? Perhaps?

The dirty liars. HATE.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:37:00 UTC | #116974

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 4 by al-rawandi

I would love to actually beat sense into these intolerant whackjobs.

Too bad their preacher is probably sniffing cocaine off the ass of a male escort.

Homophobes.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:41:00 UTC | #116976

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 5 by Colwyn Abernathy

DOOD...this isn't the 50's FFS. The idea of the nuclear family (Ironeez...I sees it) is a product of TV shows like Ozzie and Harriet, Leave It To Beaver, etc. With women entering the workforce, sticking them back in the kitchen wasn't gonna fly. So we got our "traditional" family form FROM TV SHOWS! It was scandalous that Lucy was pregnant on her show. So people get squeamish, big deal. Now the false claim of "gay people want to "abolish the family"" can be taken to task...I mean, don't they want to START families? That they're being barred from doing so (adoption/fostering) would make those barring them from starting families the ones who "want to abolish the family" wouldn't it?

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:46:00 UTC | #116979

Gymnopedie's Avatar Comment 6 by Gymnopedie

Um... isn't it the straight couples who are destroying the "traditional" family by getting divorced at a 143% rate, if I remember correctly.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:11:00 UTC | #116990

WSteG's Avatar Comment 7 by WSteG

Now, here's a funny thing. Virtually all gay people are brought up in families. So if we did indeed wish to "abolish the family" - and, speaking for myself, the only thing I'd wish to abolish would be bigotry and all that flows from it - perhaps it might be because so many of us found the straight family an oppressive institution in which to be reared.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:14:00 UTC | #116992

Adam Morrison's Avatar Comment 8 by Adam Morrison

What a load of crap. I hope they get sued for everything they're worth.

If this comment was made about 'blacks','jews' or any other minority there would be a media uproar. It is no less hateful or intolerant when gays are victimized.

ARRRGGHHH!!!! the poofists piss me off.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:14:00 UTC | #116993

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 9 by Eventhorizon

This is one fight they will not win - as a gay guy I'll see to that personally.
And as for chrisitian values - what, so now they invented the family too?
Anyway watch this space - in twenty years time when they've finally caught up with the rest of humanity they'll be claiming that they actually started the gay rights movement.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:22:00 UTC | #117000

action1976's Avatar Comment 10 by action1976

The CCTV or the Christian Coalition for Traditional Family is headed by this Bigotted Idiot Bishop Michael Reid who formed the Michael Reid Ministries.And has is own tv show What God Can do for You
Have a look at this you tube video of him
He is like a UK version of Pat Robertson.
Completely fucking Crackers also.
He organised the Blasphemy protests against Jerry Springer the Opera.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:09:00 UTC | #117021

konquererz's Avatar Comment 11 by konquererz

I'm all for free speech, but you can't just put obvious lies meant to cause an uproar and a stir! That commercial wouldn't change anyones mind! Ass holes!

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:15:00 UTC | #117030

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 12 by Steve Zara

I seem to have a mental block. I just can't figure out how allowing gay people equal rights is supposed to threaten families. Forcing people into heterosexual relationships and telling them to surpress their emotions and sex drive is supposed to help family life?

Al Gore recently surprised people with his strong views on this subject:

Nice chap.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:21:00 UTC | #117034

weavehole's Avatar Comment 13 by weavehole

WSteg, can you tell me what words your dog is sniffing in your Avatar?
It looks like 'yostsripten giftwart' to me, and that just doesn't make _any_ sense. :)

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:32:00 UTC | #117048

home8896's Avatar Comment 14 by home8896

Just because of the title, I have to say this: I'm not gay and I'm offended, too.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:36:00 UTC | #117053

mtg101's Avatar Comment 15 by mtg101

These Christians who think that gay people are anti-family are, I'm sure, the same ones who don't want gay people to be allowed to have families - being anti gay marriage and anti gay adoption.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:45:00 UTC | #117055

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 16 by Sally Luxmoore

Action1976, I have just looked at the youtube link that you put up.
Are you SURE that this is not a joke ? It's full of so much unintentional humour - it's almost Monty Python-esque!
It reminds me of the really low-quality locally made advertisements that we used to get in our local cinema.
I love the way that -God saw to it that his wife got the best breast cancer treatment available... in Argentina- So nothing to do with generous contributions (from the gullible and simple-minded) swelling the coffers, then?

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:50:00 UTC | #117057

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 17 by al-rawandi

Steve,

Al can do that because he isn't running for office. I hope more politicians actually hold these beliefs and soon will speak out.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:53:00 UTC | #117059

mtg101's Avatar Comment 18 by mtg101

"God saw to it that his wife got the best breast cancer treatment available"

Of course if you believe that you'll have to somehow ignore the related belief that the same god designed the human body, and thus is responsible for the whole cancer problem in the first place.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:01:00 UTC | #117064

Adam Morrison's Avatar Comment 19 by Adam Morrison

That Gore video was quite nice. I like this guy more and more everytime I see him. Too bad he's not going to be on the ballot for 2008.

Re: Steve

Isn't it obvious why we can't allow gay marriage? I mean if gays start marrying, next they'll want to adopt and that means their kids will be gay right? Because it's totally a 100% purely lifestyle choice. Then those kids will convert other people to being gay, and soon we'll all have immunodeficiency diseases. (Sarcasm of course)

Everytime I hear someone argue about the 'unnaturalness' and 'immorality' of homosexuality the arguments seem weaker and weaker. What really irritates me are people that associate homosexuality with pedophilia. They're not one and the same, but so many religo-conservatives can't seem to fathom that.

If being strait means being like Huckabee or Bush and their families,or Faldwell and the rest of the fundamentalist right, sign me up for gay anyday (uhh just not the sex part though ;D

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:06:00 UTC | #117068

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 20 by Sally Luxmoore

Steve Zara.

Good link. I agree; Al Gore seems to be one of the good guys.

It is surely just plain common sense that EVERYBODY has the right to fall in love, form relationships and have a stake in the next generation, as well as equal rights.

Not controversial in the least, unless of course you've had your mind poisoned by a holy book.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:10:00 UTC | #117074

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 21 by Steve Zara

Apparently homosexuality is so repulsive that people don't even want to think about it, yet at the same time it is such fun that straight people can be easily "converted" and become addicted.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:15:00 UTC | #117077

action1976's Avatar Comment 22 by action1976

Yes this is a genuine website.
Have a look at this link here more relevant

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:19:00 UTC | #117081

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 23 by Diacanu

Ugh, what home8896 said.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:20:00 UTC | #117083

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 24 by Sally Luxmoore

action1976... Can't get into it...

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:21:00 UTC | #117084

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 25 by Peacebeuponme

I saw an interesting programme a few years ago about how our repulsions are conditioned. Babies are not naturally repulsed by anything - they charted with age learned bevahiours with classics like fake dog-poo.

Sadly many straight people (even those not particularly homophobic) can have such a response, which has been conditioned by family, friends, society.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:28:00 UTC | #117091

Adam Morrison's Avatar Comment 26 by Adam Morrison

Steve,

In case you didn't know, gay is catchier than the macarena. Even Colbert turned gay (in the old days)

and while I'm at it, Jon Stewart on the legalization of sodomy (probably the funniest opening ever)

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:36:00 UTC | #117097

annabanana's Avatar Comment 27 by annabanana

Yes, home8896 said it well.

I've always been particularly sensitive to gay rights issues even though I'm hetero. I think some people have actually assumed I'm a lesbian because of it.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:46:00 UTC | #117102

WSteG's Avatar Comment 28 by WSteG

Steve Zara writes: "Apparently homosexuality is such fun that straight people can be easily 'converted' and become addicted".

After many years of "practice", I can report that this is indeed happily true. And if the deluded don't like it, they can "just say no".

PS: Hello, weavehole (nice name in the circs). Delighted to translate for you. It says "W Stephen Gilbert" (why, that's me!) and the avatar is the cover of my unputdownable book, Common Sense, which may be downloaded free of charge from http://commonsense.memebot.com

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:54:00 UTC | #117107

Goldy's Avatar Comment 29 by Goldy

The Christian Congress for Traditional Values (CCTV)....hmmmm, CCTV, also short for closed circuit TV, another great British tradition. This is a UK Christian organisation, eh? So the name they picked is probably on purpose...nah, it can't be. Must be a coincidence, they don't want to be able to monitor everyone to make sure there's conformity, do they?

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:17:00 UTC | #117123

notsobad's Avatar Comment 30 by notsobad

Let them run the ad so that free speech is preserved and people can see how intolerant and backwards these people are.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:52:00 UTC | #117144