← Deadly Sins 101

Deadly Sins 101 - Comments

notsobad's Avatar Comment 1 by notsobad

fairy tales

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:22:00 UTC | #135719

Newk's Avatar Comment 2 by Newk

"polluting the environment"

DAMN, that means we all have to become Armish people!.. Since were all somewhat polluting the shit out of this planet ;> ...

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:39:00 UTC | #135732

movingshadow's Avatar Comment 3 by movingshadow

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense.

-Robert Heinlein

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:43:00 UTC | #135740

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 4 by Quetzalcoatl

Could it be any more obvious that they make these things up as they go along?

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:45:00 UTC | #135742

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 5 by Thomas Byrne

Those this mean we have to write a new 'Inferno' or 'Cantenbury Tales?'

And 'SE7EN' will have to be changed into 'FOURTEEN' and have twice has many victims.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:53:00 UTC | #135750

bamafreethinker's Avatar Comment 6 by bamafreethinker

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily

But is the potential to hurt others a sin, i.e. adultery that goes undetected, or the occasional prostitute? Even if the "sin" doesn't hurt others... still wrong?

Potential harm as apposed to kinetic harm - so to speak?

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:57:00 UTC | #135755

monoape's Avatar Comment 7 by monoape

It's a fiendishly brilliant scheme of the religious - heap a few more sins on the faithful so that they need to come in more often to be de-sinned ... and while they're on their knees, begging forgiveness from Chief Sky Fairy, pass the ol' collection plate around.

The HRCC'll soon have that $660 million settlement payout for paedophile priests recouped....

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:01:00 UTC | #135757

annabanana's Avatar Comment 8 by annabanana

stem-cell research

Save people's lives...go to hell...

pollute the environment

Drive a car, use electricity, litter, etc...go to hell...

cause poverty

Not being a socialist, spending money on something not absolutely necessary to life...go to hell...

Sounds sort of like monopoly. "Go directly to [hell], do not pass go".

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:18:00 UTC | #135771

Vaal's Avatar Comment 9 by Vaal

You couldn't make it up. Oh, sorry, they have!

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:22:00 UTC | #135776

Geoff's Avatar Comment 10 by Geoff

Anna, I think you've just initiated a new game!

Chance card: You are lustful; pay the church £200.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:26:00 UTC | #135779

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 12 by al-rawandi

Anna,

Socialism has caused more poverty than any other social system I can think of.

But the Church can still go to hell.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:29:00 UTC | #135783

JamesDB's Avatar Comment 11 by JamesDB

What qualifies them to make up new sins anyways. I'm pretty sure I should be allowed to make up sins too in this case, or for that matter just say that none of them are sins and we can all just be done with it.

We need to figure out a way to change these sins the way the priests do, there have to be some people on this site who know their way into vatican computers ;)

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:29:00 UTC | #135782

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 13 by robotaholic

Having zero impact on the environment seems impossible. I'm gonna invest in the manufacturers of biocontainment suits and gas masks lol Mabye in heaven I can take off my mask.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:39:00 UTC | #135786

annabanana's Avatar Comment 14 by annabanana

al-rawandi,

You know that I'm not much of an economist, I was just trying to make a point of how ridiculous it was. Perhaps I should have chosen a different term.

Geoff,

Community Chest Card: You've been extra sinful this year; pay the church an extra 10% of your income.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:40:00 UTC | #135788

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 15 by al-rawandi

Anna,

I have my Karl Marx radar on right now. Let me pull the plug on that.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:47:00 UTC | #135791

annabanana's Avatar Comment 16 by annabanana

al-rawandi,

That would be preferable, thanks. ;-)

Or... [:-{|

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:50:00 UTC | #135793

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 17 by HourglassMemory

My god!
It's like these people don't think!
"Polluting is a sin."
Give me a break. Cows farting 'Pollute the environment'. Dogs dropping their excrements on a pretty lanscape, are 'polluting the environment'.
You just by talking are throwing into the athmosphere "the evil Co2".

The whole issue is just so relative and so human based and it's extremely complex.

These people don't spend nights and days thinking about these issues seriously, ala Descartes/Kant....they just think "mmmm let's make this a sin...perhaps people will do less of it."

It's such a bad method. That sort of stuff doesn't work anymore.

It doesn't motivate people.
It might work in the minds of those afraid of hell, which scares me because their 'good behaviours' hang, then, by a thread of delusion. By a story. By archaic concepts.

This Sin stuff doesn't work in the 21st century.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:57:00 UTC | #135795

Inferno's Avatar Comment 18 by Inferno

Obviously there's some wiggle room as to what exactly qualifies as a mortal sin

Ah, my job as a lawyer is secure even after death!

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:09:00 UTC | #135802

Wosret's Avatar Comment 19 by Wosret

I know what will happen to an adulter after death. Same thing that will happen to the rest of us. Nothing, we'll be dead.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:50:00 UTC | #135822

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 21 by al-rawandi

Mitchell,

I don't understand why they don't see that it will be a lot like before they were born.

They were not alive then, and are not alive after life either. Same shit.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:55:00 UTC | #135824

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 20 by Diacanu

Like I said in the other thread, catholicism is circling the bowl.

Every new loony stupid thing they do is like another gurgle of the flush.
I'm loving it.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:55:00 UTC | #135823

mkcarbs's Avatar Comment 22 by mkcarbs

...Reminds me of that song by The Bastard Fairies...

How does it go??? That's right. We're All Going To Hell!

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:00:00 UTC | #135828

theantitheist's Avatar Comment 23 by theantitheist

The original story inspired me to write a huge email to my entire catholic family, where i ranted and i raved about how only fucking morons could keep up with this shit and that they were praying to a loving god that would condemn my little sister to a life in hell for taking the dogs name in vain, becoming successful and rice or curing cancer using stem cells!!

Not heard back from them yet but hopefully it's another dent in their belief.

Just the pure nerve to come out with this shit, no wonder the pope wears those long robes he must have huge balls of steel to conceal.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:04:00 UTC | #135870

Double Bass Atheist's Avatar Comment 24 by Double Bass Atheist

Sitting here relaxing and reading these wonderful posts, I'm feeling most rather slothy...
Oh Shit! I'm going to hell!

New sins, eh?
Is there any clearer example that these people really are just making this stuff up as they go along?!

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:12:00 UTC | #135876

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 25 by Diacanu

Double Bass Atheist-

Like how all of a sudden "whoops, turns out there was never such a place as Limbo after all! Oh, by the way, we're still infallible".

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:14:00 UTC | #135879

Grantaire of JC's Avatar Comment 26 by Grantaire of JC

It's a shame that the Vatican needs to take this step. Like the extreme fundamentalists didn't already believe this? Now the Pope wants to take this mainstream? Oh well the church will continue to lose people as they inflict their perception of the "modern" world onto their congregation. I hope these "believers" remember that stem cell research is evil when they need the technology to cure what ails them.

What is Shakespeare who wrote that there is no good or evil but thinking makes it so?

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:59:00 UTC | #135907

82abhilash's Avatar Comment 27 by 82abhilash

By continually telling people what to do in a world where freedom is being valued, almost universally, are they not digging themselves in a deeper hole than they in already in?

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:48:00 UTC | #135927

dragonfirematrix's Avatar Comment 28 by dragonfirematrix

This is a sin, that is a sin, everything is a sin...

The only thing evolving in religion is the list of things the religious hate, and the list of people the religious want to persecute.

I wonder how many people throughout history have been severely punished, or put to death, by religion for failing to follow the little black books of mandates.

Let us start calling religion a sin.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:31:00 UTC | #135933

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 29 by Bonzai

The Vatican released a list of seven new sins on Monday.

Yawn.

Some people have too much time on their hands, how about the Popes and Bishops start making an honest living for a change?

It just strikes me as odd that there are actually people whose only purpose in life is to invent sins, stupid rules and make up scary stories about being sodomized by demons after you die if you sin as if they have experienced it first hand,--sorry that was Father Max who buggered you when you were 6, not a demon. They then solemnly announce their rules and stories to the world as if we should take them seriously just because they wear funny cloths and believe in fairies. I mean, grow up.

The sad thing is too many people do take them seriously instead of just laughing them off as the clowns that they are. This is beyond irrational, it is insane.

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:38:00 UTC | #135938

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 30 by Bonzai

roboholic

Mabye in heaven I can take off my mask.

What made you think that you are going to heaven?

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:48:00 UTC | #135942