← The Great Tantra Challenge

The Great Tantra Challenge - Comments

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 1 by Thomas Byrne

Dammit. I was really hoping he'd die.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:18:00 UTC | #137156

Geoff's Avatar Comment 2 by Geoff

ROFL!

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:19:00 UTC | #137157

Thor'Ungal's Avatar Comment 3 by Thor'Ungal

Dammit. I was really hoping he'd die.

enemy of the family?

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:27:00 UTC | #137163

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 4 by Thomas Byrne

Na. Just to wipe the smug off his face.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:28:00 UTC | #137166

the way's Avatar Comment 5 by the way

In this night, one of the most dangerous and wide spread superstitions in India suffered a severe blow.

Ha ha ha! There will probably be a resurgence in the belief of the dark arts and mysticism now! Watch this space!

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:28:00 UTC | #137167

Chris.Holden's Avatar Comment 6 by Chris.Holden

Fantastic article. This type of thing should be carried out wherever there is irrationality. Let's call these charlatans out!!

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:29:00 UTC | #137168

KrisRamJ's Avatar Comment 7 by KrisRamJ

Hahaha... Sanal is smiling and laughing his ass off in every photo...

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:31:00 UTC | #137171

kaiser's Avatar Comment 8 by kaiser

This could also have ended bad.

Don`t get me wrong, I don`t believe that there are any ghosts or demons who could kill you.

But there is also the complexity of the brain and altered states. For example hypnosis (and I don`t mean stage hypnosis). Only thanks to India the "skill of hypnosis" survived, after it was banned in europe.
And the hypnosis skills in India are much higher than in the western world. Some of these guys have serious hynosis skills (much better than the american tv evangelicals) and they could have harmed him (but I guess not really kill him).

But if one of these hypnotists harmed him, people would think it was because of his "black magic". Thank fsm that nothing happened and the charlatan is now exposed- although still many millions will continue to believe in his magic powers.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:38:00 UTC | #137174

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 9 by Thomas Byrne

Hey that rationalist international site is full of interesting articles.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:42:00 UTC | #137176

Richard Morgan's Avatar Comment 10 by Richard Morgan

kaiser

And the hypnosis skills in India are much higher than in the western world.

"Hypnosis skills"?
Oh dear - I do hope you don't really believe that.
If so, perhaps you have been hypnotised into believing it!
Exploiting pre-existent belief structures, ok, but "skills"?
(I am speaking from considerable experience of "Ericksonian hypnotherapy" and "Sophrology" and "NLP" and other woo-woo wonders of the New Age. And India, its people and cultures.)

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:52:00 UTC | #137182

Timmeh!'s Avatar Comment 11 by Timmeh!

I don't know if I would have been brave enough to do it. I wouldn't put it beyond these loonies to conceal a poisoned needle about their person to stick me with during the ceremony, or just stab me with a knife out of frustration after having been made to look a tw@ in front of millions.

Perhaps one of his fruitcake followers will now poison or otherwise injure the chap; then they can claim it was a delayed reaction from the ceremony, which they doubtless also will if he's hit by a bus anytime in the next decade.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:55:00 UTC | #137185

stephenray's Avatar Comment 12 by stephenray

How much harm can you come to from someone who needs to devote one hand all the time to stop his sheet coming off..?

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:17:00 UTC | #137193

Janus's Avatar Comment 13 by Janus

Awesome. Just awesome! There needs to be more stuff like this.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:18:00 UTC | #137194

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 14 by Colwyn Abernathy

OOO! I read this on this week's SWIFT. Glad to see it here, too!

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:24:00 UTC | #137198

notsobad's Avatar Comment 15 by notsobad

kaiser,
that's bullshit too.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:26:00 UTC | #137201

Skep's Avatar Comment 16 by Skep

Sanal Edamaruku is lucky that Pandit Surinder Sharma is an "honest" black magician and didn't try and secretly poison him. Of course anyone who would agree to kill someone for live TV can't exactly be trusted, whether or not they actually have the ability to do so.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:31:00 UTC | #137203

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 17 by Thomas Byrne

I just can't believe the Shamen guy kept up the charade. Was he hoping that Sanal might die from old age in the mean time?

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:32:00 UTC | #137204

Stublore's Avatar Comment 18 by Stublore

That is absolutely brilliant!!
Kudos to Sanal Edamaruku, and India TV for continuing to broadcast, not sure what it says about their quality of programming though :)
Can you imagine a similar program going to the lengths of India TV in the UK, Eire, or the US
"Tonights X-Factor replaced by a live feed of a shaman working his ju-ju on a non-believer, stay tuned for the shocking conclusion! Viewer discretion advised as this program may contain scenes which are harmful to your faith!!"

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:53:00 UTC | #137211

Pattern Seeker's Avatar Comment 19 by Pattern Seeker

This reminds me of this bit I'd seen the other night from an Irish comedian by the name of Tommy Tiernan.

I'd never seen his comedy before, but his antics drew me in. I sat and watched for a few minutes when he started talking about Joel Osteen and his mega-church. He mentions the fact that Osteen looks nothing like a preacher from where he comes from, more like a businessman. He mentions that Osteen just preaches bullshit and always talks about how Jesus wants us to be happy, and on and on. Tiernan then says something about the fact that they have a name for people like Osteen in Ireland-

RETARDED

I about wet myself. Priceless.

This 'tantrik, voodoo, black magic' joker reminded me of that.
Sure, you may scare or influence the people in your immediate area or country, but go anywhere else and most people will think you're a frickin' retard.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:01:00 UTC | #137213

JamesDB's Avatar Comment 20 by JamesDB

Haha this is brilliant, it just shows that this shaman truly believed what he does works, now he has to re-think his life. Really he will keep pretending until he dies and telling people that his magic is real. How do you change this guys mind?

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:02:00 UTC | #137214

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 21 by Thomas Byrne

Yeah right. Re-think his life? Have you never seen a charlatan debunked before? I'll be keeping an eye out for a follow up, check out his excuse. You can bet your pimply little ass much of his followers will just band tighter around him. Funny as this is to us, believers are rock solid in their fate.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:07:00 UTC | #137215

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 22 by Thomas Byrne

Oops. I meant faith. (or did I)

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:08:00 UTC | #137217

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 23 by Frankus1122

JamesDB:
I am curious as to what the shaman actually thought as well.
I always thought that at some level these guys knew what they were doing was a scam, but now I am not so sure.

Dowsers and astrologists believe what they are doing as well I suppose.
Curious.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:13:00 UTC | #137221

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 24 by Thomas Byrne

Hitler believed what he was doing too.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:17:00 UTC | #137223

Logicel's Avatar Comment 25 by Logicel

Now the tantrik wrote Sanal's name on a sheet of paper, tore it into small pieces, dipped them into a pot with boiling butter oil and threw them dramatically into the flames.
______

Oh g(h)ee! Really thought that would work.

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:30:00 UTC | #137225

Geoff's Avatar Comment 26 by Geoff

Logicel: be ashamed!

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:37:00 UTC | #137227

Dog Boots's Avatar Comment 27 by Dog Boots

In a universe with a god, there would have been complete video of this - I have 2 hours to spare tonight, would've been great entertainment!

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:51:00 UTC | #137232

tieInterceptor's Avatar Comment 28 by tieInterceptor

Mola Ram!

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:15:00 UTC | #137240

kintaro_crab's Avatar Comment 29 by kintaro_crab

That is actually pretty scary. I wouldn't trust some crazy black magician with a knife. What if he went nuts and slit his throat, then went around claimed that black magic killed him?

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:26:00 UTC | #137241

D'Arcy's Avatar Comment 30 by D'Arcy

This shaman guy needs a few lessons from Lord Voldermort.

Oh Shit! I'm coming out in boils all over.....

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:27:00 UTC | #137242