← Writer Arthur C Clarke dies at 90

Writer Arthur C Clarke dies at 90 - Comments

Quine's Avatar Comment 1 by Quine

As I sit here watching a live video feed from space, my heart falls with this news.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:33:00 UTC | #138649

home8896's Avatar Comment 2 by home8896

Bye Clarke.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:35:00 UTC | #138651

Titchfield's Avatar Comment 3 by Titchfield

I note that the BBC doesn't believe he even existed, attributing him as the stuff of legend. Hmm. I was pretty convinced he was a well known author myself but there you go.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:38:00 UTC | #138652

chuckg's Avatar Comment 4 by chuckg

We have sadly lost a great imagination and visionary, in a man who also was rational, level headed, and a strong caller for reason and science. Good Bye, Arthur, Sir. I will miss you. Joyously, you will live on forever in our hearts and minds; everyone you have touched in your life.
Chuck

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:39:00 UTC | #138654

Donnie VandenBos's Avatar Comment 5 by Donnie VandenBos

Don Herbert last summer, Arthur Clarke this spring ... I am really not liking this trend amongst my childhood heroes.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:41:00 UTC | #138655

Greybishop's Avatar Comment 7 by Greybishop

It's always sad when someone with his talent is lost forever. Fortunately, we have a fantastic body of work to enjoy and by enjoying honour his memory.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:46:00 UTC | #138658

JamieR's Avatar Comment 6 by JamieR

90 years he had long life than to keep a positive note

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:46:00 UTC | #138657

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 8 by Agrajag

Sad news. He changed my life. I once looked down my nose at science fiction as a genre; then I read "Childhood's End" at a friend's insistence. This opened up a whole world of excellent literature to me, including the works of Isaac Azimov.
Ste5e

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:46:00 UTC | #138659

Skutter's Avatar Comment 9 by Skutter

RIP Arthur.

Your writings fired my imagination and ignited my interest in science.

You have left this world a better place.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:47:00 UTC | #138661

Rational_G's Avatar Comment 10 by Rational_G

That being said, sad to see Mr Clarke go. Enjoyed his short stories and his take on science & technology.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:49:00 UTC | #138663

Rational_G's Avatar Comment 11 by Rational_G

Forgot to mention his positive influence on millions, a la Sagan and Azimov

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:02:00 UTC | #138673

CJ2116's Avatar Comment 12 by CJ2116

I have enjoyed Arthur C Clarke's work more than any other author who has ever walked the Earth. He was a genius in every sense of the word. This is very sad.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:03:00 UTC | #138675

DasSquid's Avatar Comment 13 by DasSquid

Having read many of his essay I can say that beyond a doubt that it's an absolute crime that Sir Arthur could not have been the very first guest at the Earth's first Orbital Hotel, which he dreamed of many a year ago.

It's quite scary in ways how accurate a portrait that this great man painted so many years before anything of the such occurred.

*shaves his head getting ready for his later predictions*

One thing can be absolutely certain. The name Sir Arthur C. Clarke will never be forgotten by human civilisation. Congratulations good sir! For such a wonderful life!

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:14:00 UTC | #138682

Spock's Avatar Comment 14 by Spock

RIP Sir Arthur. Thank you so much for your grand vision of the future.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:19:00 UTC | #138686

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 15 by Chris Roberts

Rest in peace Sir Arthur.

I grew up watching his mysterious world series, and of course 2001.

But it is for his work with satellites that has touched most of us in the modern day, you only have to look around to see how his brilliance has effected our every day life.

In homage, I will now call my satnav Arthur in his memory.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:21:00 UTC | #138688

Fathom's Avatar Comment 16 by Fathom

Rational-G: "Not to be picky, but the screenplay to 2001 came first, co-written by Clarke and Kubrick. The novel came later."

To be pickier still the novel "The Sentinel" came first on which the screenplay was based.

Farewell Arthur. Your writing gave me my own fascination with science.

F

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:30:00 UTC | #138690

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 17 by Frankus1122

I liked Arthur C. Clarke.

I am glad he lived for a good 90 years.

A memorial display of his works will be my first task tomorrow morning in the library.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:47:00 UTC | #138702

PaulJ's Avatar Comment 18 by PaulJ

Sad news, so soon after his 90th birthday broadcast.

He was the last of the Big Three in science fiction: Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:51:00 UTC | #138703

Greyman's Avatar Comment 19 by Greyman

It is so sad to learn that after 90 years on this rock, Sir Arthur's tenure has finally expired. I am so jealous of a life well lived.

He will be missed, and greatly, for he has produced such fond memories in people he'd never even met. Yet his work lives on, having and continuing to inspire and entertain so many. A fitting memorial.

Thank you, Sir Arthur, for enriching us all.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:54:00 UTC | #138705

FSM?'s Avatar Comment 20 by FSM?

One of the great visionaries.

This link seems appropriate for today:

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:09:00 UTC | #138709

mikejswalker's Avatar Comment 21 by mikejswalker

Dazzlious! Thank you Arthur.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:18:00 UTC | #138713

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 22 by IaninPA

Rendevous with Rama,

Tales from the Whiteheart

Geostationary satellites....

Fanks 'Arfur!

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:32:00 UTC | #138718

paulcaira's Avatar Comment 23 by paulcaira

To be yet pickier, "The Sentinel" was a short story, not a novel.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:37:00 UTC | #138721

gwolf's Avatar Comment 24 by gwolf

If I didn't know better, I'd say this was the death of the future that I would have preferred to look forward to. By that I mean that people like Clarke, Asimov, Sagan and Rodenberry -- some seared by the Second World War -- dreamed powerfully of a world that had accelerated long past its tribal and sectarian divisions of infancy; all was clean and bright, lit by shining knowledge, supreme forever over superstition and excessive greed. You've heightened my thirst and longing for knowledge, mankind's truest and greatest adventure.

Come back Arthur and light the torch of intelligence for our path as you always did so well. We need your inspiration more than ever.

George Wolf

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:38:00 UTC | #138722

millefolia's Avatar Comment 25 by millefolia

Sir Arthur, welcome back to star dust we're all made of.

"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God - but to create him." (A. C. Clarke)

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:41:00 UTC | #138724

Elles's Avatar Comment 26 by Elles

This ruined my day. :(

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:45:00 UTC | #138729

Covalent Bonder's Avatar Comment 27 by Covalent Bonder

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Mr Clarke. We are very fortunate that you were part of the human race and lived a long and enriching life.

Now it's time to say goodbye and, "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:47:00 UTC | #138730

captpicard's Avatar Comment 28 by captpicard

Arthur always made me think with his books.
The "hammer of god" and "childhoods end" were my favorite and of course 2001 a space odyssey
Alas he died like my 2nd favorite writer Gene Rodenberry

joke
"He's dead Jim"
"Khaaan"

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:52:00 UTC | #138733

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 29 by Cartomancer

I thought he had already died years ago! Oh well, ninety is a pretty good age for anyone. And he sure has achieved immortality more effectively than any number of religious folk who pray for it daily.

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:03:00 UTC | #138742

Lensman's Avatar Comment 30 by Lensman

Bye then Arthur.
Pity, though, that BBC radio decided the death of a film director (good though he was)was much more important than the death of a visionary.

Pedants corner: To be even pickier than pickier still: "The Sentinel" isn't a novel; it's a short story. :-D

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:04:00 UTC | #138743