← EXPELLED!

EXPELLED! - Comments

Big T's Avatar Comment 1 by Big T

Sounds good to me. Hope Richard enjoyed the movie.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:55:00 UTC | #140002

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 2 by Dr Benway

Sweet!

But I hope Richard's had his blood pressure meds today.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:02:00 UTC | #140004

Negasta's Avatar Comment 3 by Negasta

This is the kind of dark, rich, gooey irony that must be savored as long as possible.

What hypocritical morons.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:07:00 UTC | #140006

dr joneZ's Avatar Comment 4 by dr joneZ

THAT'S GOT TO BE THE LAUGH OF THE TWENTY FIRST CENTURY
WHAT A BUNCH OF DORKS FOR DAWKINS!!!!!

GO PZ!!!

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:12:00 UTC | #140008

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 5 by Agrajag

I await a critical review. Can decimal fractions of stars be given?
Ste5e

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:13:00 UTC | #140009

Alovrin's Avatar Comment 6 by Alovrin

Guess they must have known PZ would be coming..
perhaps god told them.
But god forgot to tell them about the Britisher.
nahha *points finger*

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:14:00 UTC | #140010

jamesspills's Avatar Comment 7 by jamesspills

You can't make this stuff up really. Let me guess, Richard wore one of those funny glasses with the mustache and big nose and slipped in covertly. Or perhaps....he "blinded them with science!" (sorry, I had to)

Of course I would expect PZ to be able to accomplish that as well so I'm leaning towards the funny glasses.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:19:00 UTC | #140011

chauvinj's Avatar Comment 8 by chauvinj

Sorry, I love PZ Myers as much as the next guy. But in what world is he more noticeable than Richard Dawkins???

Nonehtless, I had a good laugh at this.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:20:00 UTC | #140012

AKirkland's Avatar Comment 10 by AKirkland

... There's nothing I can say that will make this funnier. I just hope Richard posts an article reviewing the movie - that could also provide belly laughs.

Dark, rich, gooey, delicious irony. Treacle irony!

[edit] Wow, this was posted pretty damn fast. As I write this, Richard is probably still in there. I wonder if some creationist could read this, ring the theatre owner and then try to get him kicked out mid-movie?

There's actually something horribly disturbing about the idea of being able to select the sort of people who watch a movie. I know it's well within their rights as the theatre is a private institution, but all the same...

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:21:00 UTC | #140014

Jackie.Stone's Avatar Comment 9 by Jackie.Stone

I also commented on PZ's post, but I just can't get over how brilliant this is. Exemplary of the wonderful mix of hypocrisy and stupidity that is characteristic of creationists.

And I know many people on PZ's blog are saying that he should have protested and allowed himself to be arrested, but I don't see that anything positive could have come out of that. By turning the other cheek PZ ensured there is no way they can spin this story so that the atheists are the "bad guys".

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:21:00 UTC | #140013

kintaro_crab's Avatar Comment 11 by kintaro_crab

I read some posts on PZ's page saying Prof. Dawkins was treated very badly at the screening. Would anyone who was there like to comment on this.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:27:00 UTC | #140016

notsobad's Avatar Comment 12 by notsobad

A review from Dawkins would give them too much credit.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:28:00 UTC | #140017

Scandinavian07's Avatar Comment 13 by Scandinavian07

Wow, stopping people because of their ways of thinking.

Next thing will probably be book burnings.

Ben Stein used to be a writer for the Nixon administration did he not?

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:29:00 UTC | #140018

dlitt's Avatar Comment 15 by dlitt

What I would find even funnier is a theist reading PZ's blog, calling the theatre, and the theatre staff intercepting Richard Dawkins on the way out.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:31:00 UTC | #140020

Tea Q's Avatar Comment 14 by Tea Q

Dawkins who?

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:31:00 UTC | #140019

Robb.B's Avatar Comment 16 by Robb.B

That is indeed pretty funny.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:33:00 UTC | #140021

youmemeyou's Avatar Comment 17 by youmemeyou

Creationists are, indeed, the ultimate under-dogs. Isn't it all too likely that the very production and display of a movie in their defense manifests malfunctional defensiveness.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:36:00 UTC | #140022

Kay17's Avatar Comment 18 by Kay17

On the Expelled website, PZ was bashed for making a statement about the movie before he saw it. Funny that when he's in line to do just that, they refuse to let him enter. Hmmm.

I hope to hear some of RD's thoughts on it, anyway.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:36:00 UTC | #140023

lievemebe's Avatar Comment 19 by lievemebe

Will they allow PZ to buy the video?

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:42:00 UTC | #140024

Double Bass Atheist's Avatar Comment 21 by Double Bass Atheist

It's mildly amusing that 'they' would be on the lookout for PZ, but WHY was he banned?

I have this mental image of a bunch of "Expelled" movie executives sitting around a table making a list of all the people who they need to keep out from theaters.
And they missed RD?!

Knowing the devious history by which it was made, and how PZ was lied to in order to participate, combined with the bullshit that it's based on, this really shouldn't surprise me...
Just another example of how the IDiot mind works. Keep the nonsense (non-science) flowing without giving anyone the opportunity to counter it.
"You will be indoctrinated. Resistance is futile"

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:46:00 UTC | #140026

Bigorra's Avatar Comment 20 by Bigorra

Perhaps they were hoping to change Dawkins' mind, but thought that having Myers' there to discuss and dissent along with him would keep him from seeing the God's Honest Truth. Every creationist knows that atheism is a weak position since Dawkins has been unable to prove God doesn't exist. By simply showing him the revealed truth, he'd change his position and every person on this post would have to blindly follow him, just like we've always done.

Or not.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:46:00 UTC | #140025

Mango's Avatar Comment 23 by Mango

This is great news! Bad publicity for the ID-ers. :)

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:48:00 UTC | #140029

freethnkr's Avatar Comment 22 by freethnkr

I greatly admire PZ for the way he handled the situation. It could have very easily turned ugly, and would have been a political blow to all atheists. I admire his understanding of what needed to be done in that situation, which was to walk away, and then attack the theatre in a non-violent way that may get them to change policies as who they let in their doors. Thank you for doing the right thing, PZ. You do much good for the community.

-Myles

I would also like to see a review from Dawkins at some point. It will be interesting to see what he has to say on it, and have no doubt that it will be a very entertaining read.
-thanks again PZ

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:48:00 UTC | #140028

quasarsphere's Avatar Comment 24 by quasarsphere

That is the most trouser-wettingly funny thing EVER!

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:50:00 UTC | #140030

Wosret's Avatar Comment 25 by Wosret

Pretty sure that is what makes this so funny.

They stop PZ from goin in, but let in Dawkins. That is pretty damn funny. Maybe they aren't aware that modes of fast air travel have been Intelligently Designed, and the british can visit, and go to movie screenings in the US. Especially durring his book tore, which lists where he will be, and when. You would think that they would be looking out for Dawkins, knowing he'd be in the area.

Maybe they prayed for god to stop Dawkins, and decided that PZ was too big of a threat to leave up to god. You know how they hate to leave stuff up to god.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:53:00 UTC | #140031

comet halley's Avatar Comment 26 by comet halley

The professor will be more like a smoking gun.

Go ahead make my day.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:59:00 UTC | #140033

Quine's Avatar Comment 27 by Quine

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:01:00 UTC | #140034

Wosret's Avatar Comment 29 by Wosret

Just another example of how the IDiot mind works.

IDiot? It's so simple, yet brilliant. I think that made my week. I know how I am going to refer to them every single time in the future now. Domo arigato gozaimasu!

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:02:00 UTC | #140036

ChicagoMolly's Avatar Comment 28 by ChicagoMolly

You mean God didn't smite Richard down with a bolt of purple lightning from heaven?

Hmmmph. Maybe she was at a different movie.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:02:00 UTC | #140035

Wosret's Avatar Comment 30 by Wosret

Hmmmph. Maybe she was at a different movie.

I'm sure she prefers drama to comedy.

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:03:00 UTC | #140037