← It looks like Man crucified

Em...
Wha'...
Em..
Sorry, I don't get ye?

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 03:54:00 UTC | #140881

Mark Barratt's Avatar Comment 2 by Mark Barratt

Yet again, as someone who has read most of the "New Atheist" books, I'm left with the impression that there must be different editions that I haven't read, which are by atheists who've lost faith in humanity and have no idea what their own opinions are.

I must try to track these down, any ideas where I should look?

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:00:00 UTC | #140882

PlagioClase's Avatar Comment 3 by PlagioClase

If there is anyone feeling depressed, defeated or like life is not worth living you may find this clip about Nic Vujicic inspiring.

I did. I just discovered it tonight.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:07:00 UTC | #140883

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 4 by irate_atheist

Halfwit.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:08:00 UTC | #140885

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 5 by Steve Zara

I stopped after a few seconds, as I found it depressing that someone born so disabled could believe it all part of some divine plan. It is a rather unpleasant psychological crutch. I guess if it helps it is understandable, but it has a nasty smell of Stockholm Syndrome to me - where prisoners develop a strange loyalty to those holding them captive.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:17:00 UTC | #140887

Dr Nev's Avatar Comment 6 by Dr Nev

What a stupid article!

Anyway I better get back to my easter eggs...

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:21:00 UTC | #140888

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 7 by Thomas Byrne

I gave up on it too. I mean fair play to him to be able to live his life like that but to claim it's his faith in Jesus made him like that? C'mon man, you did it, you're the innovator. Why give the credit to a 2000 year old hippy?

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:27:00 UTC | #140893

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 8 by phil rimmer

The guy wants salvation....

One of yours I think, Plagio.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:27:00 UTC | #140894

Richard Morgan's Avatar Comment 9 by Richard Morgan

Excuse me for interrupting this thread.

MUSIC UPDATE

For PZMyers : "EXPELLED : another hole in the sock."

The Myspace dedicated player :

1. We saw the comet.
In "Climbing Mount Improbable", Richard Dawkins mentioned taking his baby daughter out one night to see a comet. He explained that she was probably too young to know what was going on, but since she would live to see it again (and he would not) he wanted her to be able to say, later in her life, that she'd seen it twice. I was very touched by this idea, and so composed this piece of music for Richard and his daughter.

2. Paula Kirby : TNT Truth, not Tales.
Well, it all started with Paula KIRBY, didn't it, this "Fleabytes" business!
3. MPhil : Emfill Rox!
An amazing young philosophical mind. (I asked my son Anthony to compose this piece, being a little unwell myself at the time.)
4. Past Fleas.
RD asked this question :

What would music inspired by the fleas sound like?

Something to make them seem ridiculous, pathetic, desperate?
This composition is my answer.

5. Cartomancer : Gunshots and a Wobbly.
I'm chronically tone-deaf to the point where I didn't know what all the fuss was about when Jemini were the UK entry to the Eurovision Song Contest. My beloved teases me mercilessly about it. I tried to come up with some praise beyond "That sounds nice", or "I liked the wobbly bit with all those notes in it" but my abilities fail me utterly when it comes to describing my appreciation of music..
But Cartomancer is one of our most remarkable contributors, and deserved an, er, shall we say, appropriate musical portrait, with recognisable sounds.

6. Steve Zara : Simply SteveZ.
Enough said. Steve has a fine mind, and is totally lovable.

Standalone player (right column)
NEW! (23/03/2008) 1. EXPELLED, another hole in the sock.
For PZ Myers

2. Sock on the Stair Reel : Bullshit!
BULLSHIT? This composition has already been banned by 18 radio stations in the USA and by most of my family.

3. Past Fleas.
4. Fleabytes : a thredley.
This is a medley of themes which expresses my impression of this everlasting thread.
5. Fingerprints, past time. (from The Lava Lizard's Tale.) (Voice : Richard Dawkins)
6. Broken Rings (from The Salamander's Tale) (Voice : Lalla Ward)
7. DIACANU.
(Mike told me himself that he felt that this portrait was pretty accurate. If you don't believe, read his comments!)
8. Bryan English : Bryan of OZ.
One of Australia's finest rock musicians.
9. Hitchindebate.
I composed a spontaneous impression of Christopher Hitches in debate with, well, just about anybody really.
10. The Quote Miner's lament.
11. Weeflea's always right.
Guess who this is?
12. Call me "Richard".
And guess who this is?

Standalone player (left column)
Sound track : Fingerprints, past time. (without the voice)

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:41:00 UTC | #140899

Koreman's Avatar Comment 10 by Koreman

"Their arguments tend to diminish the scope of human achievement, emphasizing our smallness in the Universe, that we are prisoners of our biology, and that we are all going to Hell in a plastic carrier bag with no prospect of salvation."

It seems the author is not talking about atheism but about 'post humans'. People who believe they are going to be godlike in the next four decades with highly advanced technology, augmented intelligence, implants, uploaded brains, eternal life and so on. Amongst those people there are a few who match the description.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:53:00 UTC | #140901

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 11 by Apathy personified

Right.......
Good work, who ever wrote this, you haven't TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT, what so ever.
Also, a Marxist telling people they have given up on humanity and are like religious zealots, need i say more...

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:09:00 UTC | #140904

oriole's Avatar Comment 12 by oriole

I posted this comment at the Timesonline website:

Hume is another of these tiresome "I'm an atheist but" critics skewered masterfully by Dawkins in the introduction to the new paperbook edition of "The God Delusion". You can hear Dawkins's reply to better arguments along these lines at youtube.com/watch?v=NBaAJcv7Vxg.

It's a mystery to me why a content-free rant such as this would be published in this forum. He fails to supply a single example or even argument to support any of his flailing wild punches, such as "they know not what they believe in", "the masses whom they fear as an ignorant mob", "Must we give up the ghost of humanism?", and my personal favorite triumph of incoherency, "Their arguments tend to diminish the scope of human achievement, emphasising our smallness in the Universe, that we are prisoners of our biology, and that WE ARE ALL GOING TO HELL in a plastic carrier bag with no prospect of salvation." (my caps).

Have you even bothered to read any of the books you critique, Mr. Hume?

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:32:00 UTC | #140909

Divineosaur's Avatar Comment 13 by Divineosaur

Ummmm, did he (Hume) say something and I missed it? I just want to know how to address the nothing in my brain that this little article left behind.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:52:00 UTC | #140911

lievemebe's Avatar Comment 14 by lievemebe

The author should try the intellectual satisfaction and material benefits of science. It's a heady double dose.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:53:00 UTC | #140912

HitbLade's Avatar Comment 15 by HitbLade

Shit, it's easter now? damn it, I'm in Thailand to the end of April. No easter eggz for me :(

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 06:08:00 UTC | #140914

baley's Avatar Comment 16 by baley

Idiotic comment, where he is living to claim that religious right is not powerful?

Halfwit he is!

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 06:10:00 UTC | #140917

Rational_G's Avatar Comment 17 by Rational_G

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:11:00 UTC | #140937

steve8282's Avatar Comment 18 by steve8282

So a marxist is slowly turning to christianity?

What is Dr. D take on De-evolution?

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:15:00 UTC | #140938

Circumspect's Avatar Comment 19 by Circumspect

Sounds like a maladjusted atheist who had a few drinks before writing this... getting all sentimental for the good old days and religion. And that part about the decline in political belief -- I guess he means the decline in his political belief. This sort of writing makes even the Dinesh D'Souzas of the world sound rational.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:37:00 UTC | #140942

pulsar1z's Avatar Comment 20 by pulsar1z

I did. I just discovered it tonight.

I did find this clip awe inspiring but when watching it I kept thinking how the power of a positive attitude and the motivation to make your life the best it can be, did not come from God, it came from within. Nick Vujicic is the inspiration not God.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:42:00 UTC | #140945

Corylus's Avatar Comment 21 by Corylus

As a godless, atheistic Marxist.
Whenever, I see someone make such a determined, up-front effort to establish their credentials, I know to be on the look-out for the unsubstantiated (and often idiotic) statement to follow.

...Arh, here it is! (Didn't take him long).
Only someone with the brain of an Easter egg could seriously believe that the influence of religion over our lives is on the rise today.
We recently had an archbishop talking about accommodating sharia.

Prat.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:51:00 UTC | #140947

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 22 by Bonzai

Koreman

Exactly my though.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:53:00 UTC | #140948

Dinah's Avatar Comment 23 by Dinah

'Only someone with the brain of an Easter egg could seriously believe that the influence of religion over our lives is on the rise today'

Only someone with the brain of an Easter bunny could have failed to notice the rise and rise of Islamic fundamentalism over the last few decades.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:55:00 UTC | #140949

jshuey's Avatar Comment 24 by jshuey

The fact that in 2008 Hume still admits to being a Marxist in spite of that philosophy's utter failure and total rejection says an awful lot about his ability to judge anything rationally.

Sounds like a maladjusted atheist who had a few drinks before writing this...

No...sounds more like an aging halfwit who has been locked up in an old folks' home for the last couple of decades.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:02:00 UTC | #140951

Pattern Seeker's Avatar Comment 25 by Pattern Seeker

Yet again with this 'New Atheists' bullshit...No thanks.

Jesus Bunny says 'Happy Beaster!'

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:04:00 UTC | #140953

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 26 by Steve Zara

Comment #148440 by Koreman
and
Comment #148491 by Bonzai

I find this odd. I did not pick up that sense in any way. The only section which seems to mention "post humans" is this:

Their attack is not only on God, but on the idea of humanity as what Descartes called "little gods on earth". Their arguments tend to diminish the scope of human achievement, emphasising our smallness in the Universe, that we are prisoners of our biology, and that we are all going to Hell in a plastic carrier bag with no prospect of salvation.

He seems to me to be quite clearly saying that atheists are attempting to diminish human achievement, not boost them to some superhuman level.

Of course, he is wrong. Finding out our place in the unverse is one of the greatest achievements of humanity, and far from diminishing us, it shows what we can do with science and reason.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:07:00 UTC | #140954

ThoughtsonCommonToad's Avatar Comment 27 by ThoughtsonCommonToad

Why now?

I've always wondered why this baffles people. Religion and science are on many issues clashing now like they haven't before. Stem Cell research, therapeutic cloning etc and lets not forget the catalyst of 9-11. It something that has always been there but has only been allowed to flourish thanks to the publication of books by the four horsemen and others.
It's hardly a conundrum.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:12:00 UTC | #140958

the way's Avatar Comment 29 by the way

Having a "crisis of faith" perhaps with the doctrine and dogma of atheism?

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:18:00 UTC | #140962

ThoughtsonCommonToad's Avatar Comment 28 by ThoughtsonCommonToad

Lacking any agreed ten commandments of liberal values today, they know not what they believe in. But they at least know it's not God. Railing against the spectre of religious fundamentalism gives the New Atheists a sort of phantom philosophy to hold on to.

If we forget how he interprets this it seems to be not an unimportant point. Do humans not need a rallying point on which to gather and create communities?

I think it should be our shared humanity, concern and sympathy for others, freedom etc. Is this not a valid point? Is not this 'community' based on our shared interests in science, anthropology, history etc and atheism.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:18:00 UTC | #140960

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 30 by Bonzai

The only section which seems to mention "post humans" is this:

And the title of the piece.

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:20:00 UTC | #140964