← Expelled Overview

Expelled Overview - Comments

Kubenzi's Avatar Comment 1 by Kubenzi

Thanks for putting this together Josh

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:27:00 UTC | #141840

NormanDoering's Avatar Comment 2 by NormanDoering

Philosopher Michael Ruse mentions the theory that organic life piggybacked on crystalline structures ... Stein takes the opportunity to ridicule the idea: "CRYSTALS!? On the backs of CRYSTALS!?" The film cuts to B&W video of creepy fortunetellers hunching over crystal balls. Stein's only desire is to oversimplify the theory and make fun of it.

Uh-oh... that actually sounds funny.

Could this be the next "Plan 9 from Outer Space"? A movie so bad it's good?

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:29:00 UTC | #141841

AtheistJon's Avatar Comment 4 by AtheistJon

It is amazing to me, the lies and deception that is alive in this crap. Really makes them seem like very bad people. I have strong feelings of love towards america, but I would never lie to forward my own political views.

Josh,
Oletko Suomalainen? Sun sukunimen perusteella, luulisin että on ainakin suomalais sukujuuret. Suomessa on myös hirveitä uskovaisia, mutta onneksi täällä tuntuu olevan ennemmän ateistit.

If you didn't get that, I was suggesting that you sound like you might be Finnish.

;-)

Jon

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:30:00 UTC | #141843

obscured by clouds's Avatar Comment 3 by obscured by clouds

Bravo Josh! I didn't know you had it in ya ;)~

Well there is not much I can to add, this was the only component that has been missing from the reviews thus far. Josh hit the nail on the head.

First I would like to thank PZ Myers for his offer to attend the move with him and his family, Josh, Liz and of course Richard Dawkins. I was in awe of the company I was with. Truly an amazing time, and that was before the whole fiasco.

Unfortunately I left before the Q&A, had I known Richard would have been involved I might have stayed. But I wanted some one on one time with PZ, who was just by himself outside. It's not every day you have a chance, so I took it.

There is nothing in this hatchet job that our readers have not heard before. If you are familiar with the outstanding job that creationist go through to deny reality, well this is just put to moving pictures (motion sickness). Every logical fallacy that you can think of, they did it spectacularly! They would make the flat earthers or UFOers with tinfoil hats proud!

So I will urge people not to see this, this will be a huge flop at the box office. Though no matter what happens they will claim victory, even if one person goes.

Do not financially support this movie, get the word out. Their biblical world view has no meaning in reality, and that starts with money.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:30:00 UTC | #141842

Elli's Avatar Comment 5 by Elli

Thanks to Josh for that review.
I shudder to think if, being in that theatre, I would have been able to keep my composure - or my blood pressure at healthy levels!

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:34:00 UTC | #141846

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 6 by Steve Zara

Josh.. thanks for this.

Maybe The Killers don't know about this, and someone should tell them?
From what I know of The Killers (a great band!) they are very unlikely to be happy with this use of their music.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:37:00 UTC | #141849

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 7 by Dr Benway

Oh man.

Stein says something like "I thought science was decided by evidence, not the courts."
Oh man.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to think that Panspermia is the same as a 1950's flying saucer movie, but once again, Stein and Mathis know their audience.
Oh man.

Eugenics is mentioned as an "extension" of Darwinism
Oh man.

Stein says it's time to confront the head of the Evolutionists, Richard Dawkins.
Oh man.

Stein says something like "I can't go up against Big Science all by myself!" over images of what looked like Nazi tanks and troops protecting a building, driving home the alleged connection between scientists and Nazis.
Oy.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:39:00 UTC | #141850

Devolution's Avatar Comment 8 by Devolution

Good job Josh. Its amazing to me that Mathis didn't notice the 'Star' of his 'Film' sitting right in the audience. haha I would have loved to see the look on his face when Richard stood up.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:40:00 UTC | #141851

ThoughtsonCommonToad's Avatar Comment 9 by ThoughtsonCommonToad

Brendan Flowers the lead singer of The Killers is a devout Mormon.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:42:00 UTC | #141852

RSP's Avatar Comment 10 by RSP

I'm constantly amused at how religious groups try so hard to emulate popular culture in order to get their ideas across. They do it so badly, and it sounds like this is another example. A crummy mimic of the humorous, documentary methods popularized by Michael Moore, the Daily Show, Colbert, and P T Bullshit. Of course, as I understand it, the aforementioned don't need to lie to the people they interview.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:43:00 UTC | #141853

Quine's Avatar Comment 11 by Quine

I expect Mathis to rake in fist-fulls of the faithful flock's funds on this fatuous failure. Content notwithstanding, the opportunity to put something in this niche and collect the cash preconditioned that someone was going to do it.

Bottom line: Follow the money.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:51:00 UTC | #141858

Olliedog's Avatar Comment 13 by Olliedog

Crystals!?
They interview someone else about evolution, who mentions that science doesn't know how life began. So the film shifts to discussing the origin of life on earth. Philosopher Michael Ruse mentions the theory that organic life piggybacked on crystalline structures (Richard writes more about this in his review). Stein takes the opportunity to ridicule the idea: "Crystals!? On the backs of CRYSTALS!?" The film cuts to B&W video of creepy fortunetellers hunching over crystal balls. Stein's only desire is to oversimplify the theory and make fun of it.

What Ruse was talking about is probably the "clay theory" of this fellow, Graham Cairns-Smith, as explained in his book Genetic Takeover:

It is a fascinating book, and when I wrote to the professor to tell him how much I was enjoying it, he wrote me back a very nice email thanking me.

It has one of the clearest explanations I have read of why "irreducible complexity" is utter crap, using an illustration of an archway being built of stone, with stones being removed from the center after the arch is in place, and is in general a very good introduction to evolution in general.

The clay theory will definitely make you think outside the box, whether it is the correct explanation for the source of life or not.

Ollie

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:53:00 UTC | #141862

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 14 by Thomas Byrne

Too knackered from work (check the dark rings under my eyes) to illicit an emotional response so I'll resort to Homer/helper-monkey disinterest.

Meh.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:53:00 UTC | #141863

GodRemixed's Avatar Comment 12 by GodRemixed

I was considering watching it in theaters if it were near me, but you've convinced me otherwise. Sometimes I watch movies like that or buy books, even though I completely disagree with what they say, just because I want to have it to point at (The Secret was hysterical, so I point and laugh at it too), but I'll let this one slide I guess.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:53:00 UTC | #141860

mdowe's Avatar Comment 15 by mdowe

Informative and rather well written for a 'computer-webby-guy' ... Good job Josh!

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:54:00 UTC | #141864

Double Bass Atheist's Avatar Comment 16 by Double Bass Atheist

Thank you, Josh!!!

Comment #149421 by obscured by clouds

OBC, you are SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!
Even seeing this movie "Just for laughs" supports these fools.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:56:00 UTC | #141865

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 17 by Diacanu

The far right seems not only to use fear and hate, they seem to ONLY be able to use fear and hate.

It's in their religion, it's in their politics, it's in their fucking corporate owned media they pump people up with fear with, it's just this relentless lava flow of fucking fear.

Make the religious fear us, make us fear the religious, fear, fear, fear, fear.

It's like a video game with one button.

It'd be funny if it weren't so disturbing and have such spooky RL consequences.

My solution, laugh off as much as I can until they get violent.
Then turn that on them when they do, because then they lose.

And y'know it'll happen.
You pump the ignorant full of fear 24/7/4/12, one of 'em is gonna lose his tiny little mind, and hurt someone.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:05:00 UTC | #141870

Duff's Avatar Comment 18 by Duff

Folks, I'm only going to tell you this once. Never, Never Never believe anything a film crew tells you. I don't care whether they are from the Discovery Institute or any where else. They will do anything to get the shot. Believe me, I know!

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:12:00 UTC | #141876

sarah95's Avatar Comment 19 by sarah95

Thanks for the point-by-point. I think I'll forward the expelled exposed link to my old high school biology teacher. She's gonna have to fight a battle when hordes of her students bring it up in class.

I hope this can be publicly exposed in the media for what it is: the creationist version of Loose Change. Conspiracy theory. And slanderous mean-spirited conspiracy theory at that, if that bit about doll-ing up Richard Dawkins with make-up is true. Why on earth would RD need make-up? ;)

The more we can point out, as Josh has done, how similar this film's style is to the far-left BS of Loose Change and the bias of Farenheit 9/11, hopefully the target audience will come passionately back to the sort of reasonable middle ground.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:16:00 UTC | #141877

Stephen Maxwell's Avatar Comment 20 by Stephen Maxwell

For example, when he came back into the office from resting in his car, I said something like "gentlemen, I've got work to do so I'd like to wrap this thing up now," he looked at me like "hey, don't you realize who I am and that you should be grateful to be talking to me?"

Oh man, that is awesome!

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:17:00 UTC | #141878

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 21 by Dr Benway

Oh man, that is awesome!
I liked it too. I imagine Stein's reaction: "Can you believe the arrogance of that Shermer guy?!"

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:20:00 UTC | #141879

EKinateder's Avatar Comment 22 by EKinateder

If you must see this piece of trash for yourself:

Most theaters in the USA do not check tickets once you've purchased a ticket and entered the main hallway. Purchase a ticket to another movie and attend this one instead.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:23:00 UTC | #141881

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 23 by Dr Benway

It's time consuming, cleaning up after this nonsense.

I remember these parents who would drop off magazines for me to read to get my opinon on some cranky new autism cure. Sometime it would take 3-4 hours of my time developing a clear rebuttal to the horrible trash. And they did this to me about monthly. Ugh.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:28:00 UTC | #141882

chuckg's Avatar Comment 24 by chuckg

The Killer's song exerpts stolen for this film are from a song and video with an anti-immigration /vigilante minutemen theme. Note the white cowboys versus the hispanic and asian hot babes in the video, who kick their asses. Its not terribly relavent to Expelled's theme, except that politically, I seriously doubt the Killer's would approve of the use of their music by this Republican hack. If it stays in the movie, I'd be suspect that The Killers were duped, like Richard, PZ, and Genie (and Michael, and ....).

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:36:00 UTC | #141884

Chris H.'s Avatar Comment 25 by Chris H.

I have a feeling this will be a cult hit, in the same way Reefer Madness is right now. However, instead of college kids it will be AP Biology students.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:37:00 UTC | #141885

tman's Avatar Comment 26 by tman

I have tipped off the the http://www.adl.org/

This revisionist history should be addressed by the jewish community.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:38:00 UTC | #141886

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 27 by DamnDirtyApe

These guys are the stupidest bunch of stupid jerks that ever were jerked out of jerktown.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:43:00 UTC | #141887

Elles's Avatar Comment 28 by Elles

Thanks very much for the splendid review, Josh... But also...

Thanks a lot for reminding me that though anybody with an ounce of intelligence can see through this film, the audience is already biased in favour of it.

*sigh*

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:47:00 UTC | #141888

helical4's Avatar Comment 29 by helical4

Free opportunity? Download perhaps?

An Expelled Exposed website is a good start, but I think an Evolution Film should be made in response to Expelled. Like Ferenhype 9/11 was made in response to Micheal Moore's film Ferenheit 9/11. I realize that such a film will probably go on deaf ears, and it will be seen as proof that the Darwinists are attempting to stifle the 'truth', but people are susceptible to believing conspiracy theories. That's probably why the creationalist movement chose this strategy.

How about this? Everyone involved in the production of 'Expelled' would be guests of honor at the screening of this Evolutionist's response film. I doubt they'd show up...

I'm concerned that the Expelled movie might be successful in bringing unsure evolution supporters to their side (people who don't understand how evolution works, but accept it only because someone smarter than them says that it is supported by many facts). Perhaps, evolution programs should be more 'in your face', where people still have the freedom to not buy a movie ticket or simply change the channel, but where the material can easily be stumbled apon. Such programs would be directed at those who support, but don't understand evolution, and such films or programs should flood the media circle, with many varieties of experts and scientists. So, no one person is pinned as being the leader of any Darwinist movement.

All Scientists should be teachers of the public, not just silent intellectuals that keep their wealth of knowledge to themselves.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:57:00 UTC | #141889

rthille's Avatar Comment 30 by rthille

I might go see it, but I'd never buy a ticket for it. I'd buy a ticket for another movie in the same theater starting at a similar time, if I'm lucky, one to which I'd like to give money.

I tried to get my Bush supporting (former) friends to see Fahrenheit 911 and they wouldn't because they didn't want to give him any money. That of course wasn't the real reason, since they wouldn't do what I suggested above either. Mostly they just wanted to remain ignorant and safe in their belief that they were right.

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:04:00 UTC | #141891