← Iowa county board gives initial OK for ghost hunters to investigate asylum

Iowa county board gives initial OK for ghost hunters to investigate asylum - Comments

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 1 by aquilacane

I think the first line was meant to read:

IOWA CITY, Iowa - County officials have given their informal OK for ghost hunters to be checked in to a one-time Iowa insane asylum for believing that spirits are lurking about.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:28:00 UTC | #143701

VanYoungman's Avatar Comment 2 by VanYoungman

Iowans are normally quite sane. Honest. I married one.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:31:00 UTC | #143705

D'Arcy's Avatar Comment 3 by D'Arcy

This definitely calls for a spirited response!

If the state of Iowa needs some help in ghostbusting, I believe the Vatican may be able assist.

If the ghosts are more than say 300 years old, maybe they need to consult the local native American medicine man, or "witch doctor" as it's better known elsewhere.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:42:00 UTC | #143714

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 4 by Thomas Byrne

Who ye gonna bleedin call (said sarcastically)

This really is tiring. I'm going to retire for the night. Night night.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:46:00 UTC | #143717

Prankster's Avatar Comment 5 by Prankster

Just tell them to be careful with the proton packs and not to cross the streams......

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:48:00 UTC | #143718

epeeist's Avatar Comment 6 by epeeist

The Johnson County Board of Supervisors took the initial action on the request from the Johnson County Historical Society, which gives tours of the 153-year-old building.
Why are they looking for ghosts in such a new building?

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:57:00 UTC | #143726

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 7 by Dr Benway

At first I figured the Historical Society's plan was to use the ghostbusters as PR for their tours.

But at the end, they mention that disabled people are living in the building. You can't have a sight-seeing tour in such a place. That's a set up for recurrent HIPPA violations.

Sos weird.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:00:00 UTC | #143730

flobear's Avatar Comment 8 by flobear

epeeist: Why are they looking for ghosts in such a new building?

epeeist: America might be young by European standards, but we have increased paranormal effects due to the prevalence of Native American burial grounds. What else would make those people insane?

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:27:00 UTC | #143738

Elles's Avatar Comment 9 by Elles

Ah... Lovely.

Ghost hunters taking themselves to the insane asylum. No objections here.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:31:00 UTC | #143739

SPS's Avatar Comment 10 by SPS

I've wondered, if there were ghosts, why would they hang around to do stupid shit? Doesn't make sense...probably because they don't exist.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:33:00 UTC | #143742

mcain's Avatar Comment 11 by mcain

This is my first post ever but as a student at UofI & resident of Iowa City I had to speak up. This town has a real problem with lots of woo from psychics to the Marahishi Enlightenment Center, and this doesn't surprise me. Maybe staring at corn for too long has some strange affect on people's mind.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:35:00 UTC | #143743

D'Arcy's Avatar Comment 12 by D'Arcy

Maybe staring at corn for too long has some strange affect on people's mind.

Nice one mcain! This effect could also explain why the Scots around Loch Ness are reputed to have seen monsters, or guys in the hills seen Bigfoots or Yetis.

Hell this could be the start of a whole insane tourist industry. The non-Discovery Institute might be persuaded to provide funds for the hype!

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:46:00 UTC | #143747

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 13 by Cartomancer

Yes, the "ghost hunters" are clearly delusional or charlatans or both. That kind of goes without saying. That county officials in a supposedly 21st century advanced society are taking them seriously almost beggars belief. What I most object to, however, is the news report itself. Were I one of our putative visitors from mars I could pick this article up and from it conclude that paranormal activity really does exist on planet earth. Nowhere does the reporting state that these things are just primitive superstitions from a credulous age - the impression is given that there might actually be some validity to these claims.

When people can pick up their newspapers and switch on their televisions to such unwarranted fence-sitting, is there any wonder that the superstition industry is going from strength to strength?

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:59:00 UTC | #143754

Double Bass Atheist's Avatar Comment 14 by Double Bass Atheist

Can someone explain why this story is on our main page?

Granted, I understand the belief in ghosts is analogous to belief in god(s), but why this particular story? There are lots of magazine articles, stories, TV shows, etc., about paranormal investigations just about every day. Why is this rather innocuous one "news" here on RDnet???

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:07:00 UTC | #143757

Corylus's Avatar Comment 15 by Corylus

It is interesting the buildings that people deem to be liable to haunting. They are often buildings associated with death like morgues or regular hospitals. Ok. This is understandable. Lots of people dying in one place, if you are going to find ghosts anywhere it will be one of those places.

However, other buildings seem to get picked not because of deaths occurring, but by virtue of the fact that people find them intimidating. Courthouses, jails etc. and, as it appears here, mental hospitals.*

Brandon Cochran, museum operations assistant for the historical society, said there have never been reports of ghosts or bizarre happenings at the building and bringing in a paranormal team is "kind of taking the pre-emptive approach."
What is it that people find so intimidating about these places? I can only conclude it is the residents. What sort of attitude does it show towards the mentally ill that this place is considered a possible haunting site?

Maybe I am being unfair and it is simply because the building is old and just looks unappealing?? Fine. Renovate it.

This worried me.
Chatham Oaks officials said there wouldn't be a problem with the paranormal team coming in as long as it didn't disturb residents.
These people are vulnerable, changes to routine and unfamiliar faces can cause a great deal of distress. You cannot assume that something that would not disturb a resident of a regular hospital will not disturb a resident of one of these places (especially a long term resident, set in their ways).

I do not think there are ghosts here. However, I am more worried about this shows about attitudes towards the residents than unthinking acceptance of the paranormal.

* The one exception to this is old public houses, which are fun places, however, the increased profits made by people visiting pleasant 'haunted' establishments (and owners spreading rumours accordingly) might account for this one.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:09:00 UTC | #143759

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 16 by DamnDirtyApe

Maybe these guys should play the video game Silent Hill: It'll blow them away!

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:47:00 UTC | #143770

MelM's Avatar Comment 17 by MelM

The building now houses some people with mental disabilities. Might I suggest that the Johnson County Board of Supervisors move their meetings to the building? Or, perhaps they should take up permanent residence.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:07:00 UTC | #143783

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 18 by DamnDirtyApe

This sounds like an episode of Scooby Doo...

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:15:00 UTC | #143787

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 19 by kaiserkriss

HA-HA! (Nelson's voice of the Simpsons)jcw

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:27:00 UTC | #143790

Richard Morgan's Avatar Comment 20 by Richard Morgan

Hehehehe! I'm going to astrally project myself into the Asylum when the "paranormal" team is interviewing ghosts.
I'll have the machines record my voice, and I'll say, in my ghostly British accent....

...

Over to you guys - anybody feel like writing my script?
This is going to be fun.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:37:00 UTC | #143794

neander's Avatar Comment 21 by neander

I like to phone the local psychics, astrologers etc. and not say anything. I hang up when they ask, "Who's there?"

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:01:00 UTC | #143802

mmurray's Avatar Comment 22 by mmurray

They are checking this building for ghosts because nobody has seen any ? Huh ? It has to be a PR stunt.

Mcihael

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:02:00 UTC | #143804

quantum tuba's Avatar Comment 23 by quantum tuba

Will someone please ask these "ghost hunters" to go away until they can come up with a reliable methodology for their ridiculous studies of paranormal phenomena. How can they "investigate" if they don't have any way of gathering and analyzing data? Oh well, it never stopped theologians, and it won't stop any other anti-rationalists.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:24:00 UTC | #143812

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 24 by rod-the-farmer

I agree with Corylus and mmurray

sounds too strange to be true. I get a lot of similar calls at my home, often during supper-time, asking if I would like to have my carpets, or more frequently, my ducts cleaned. (These are the hot air ducts used to pipe warm air from the furnace, if you have one. Apparently these collect dust bunnies over time.) I always say "We don't have any." (True statement, at least about the ducts. The bunnies we deal with ourselves.)

Based on the Iowa precedent, I guess I should NOW say "Sure, come on over !" Just as long as they don't disturb the other inmates at our house. (My wife looks pointedly in my direction.)

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:28:00 UTC | #143814

Wosret's Avatar Comment 25 by Wosret

I have to laugh when I hear about all their "ghost detecting equipment". There is absolutely no evidence that any of it works at all, they might as well staple some tinfoil to a baseball cap and call it a ghost detector.

Damn crazies. Why an insane asylum? Last I checked, sane people die too. Are insane people more likely to haunt? Where did they get that information exactly?

When kids play pretend, it's cute, and they even know they are playing pretend...when adults do it, it's a pitiful sight indeed.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:33:00 UTC | #143817

mattyohe's Avatar Comment 26 by mattyohe

I can't believe I'm reading this. Really, most of us are not like this! (I live in Iowa City, IA)

Here is the team of investigators' website: http://www.carrollareaparanormalteam.com/

Here are the minutes: http://www.johnson-county.com/auditor/min/080327_1-min.htm

"A majority of the Board expressed support for the proposal to move forward, with the exception of Harney. Chappell said that he will get the appropriate legal items in place before it is placed on a formal agenda for approval."

I will have to attend the meeting when it is formally on the agenda.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:52:00 UTC | #143823

dragonfirematrix's Avatar Comment 27 by dragonfirematrix

Wait a minute! Wait a minute!

I have repeatedly heard that from the religious in the Forest/Lynchburg, VA, area that God does not make junk.

So...

What is the following quote from the article saying: "The remaining wing was built in 1855 and housed mentally ill patients who were deemed insane."

The quote is saying that the Christian god is proven to make junk. That makes this god incompentent and not worthy of being followed.

Personally, I want a god who knows what he/she/it is doing :) Since science comes closer to the facts and truth than any god, I choose science.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:25:00 UTC | #143839

utelme's Avatar Comment 28 by utelme

I check out the local pub if I want to see spirits. After a while I might even see God. LOL

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:46:00 UTC | #143843

lievemebe's Avatar Comment 29 by lievemebe

No doubt the ghost busters are mentally ill but not deemed insane. Maybe the county officials could be deemed insane without actually being mentally ill patients.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:30:00 UTC | #143854

black wolf's Avatar Comment 30 by black wolf

dragonfirematrix,
they'll be smugly satisfied with playing the 'Demonic Possession' card, or ye olde 'Satan Mind-Warp'.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:51:00 UTC | #143857