← I always aim to misbehave

I always aim to misbehave - Comments

Elles's Avatar Comment 1 by Elles

Ah... I just love it more and more. Anything that's bad for the Expelled folks is good for us.

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:56:00 UTC | #143879

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 2 by Richard Dawkins

PZ is a priceless asset, a hero of our time.

By the way, he has another excellent article over at Pharyngula, where he makes the point that, to the extent that Hitler and the eugenicists borrowed anything from Darwinism, they borrowed from the OBVIOUS part that everybody knew for centuries before Darwin, namely ARTIFICIAL selection. Everybody knew how to breed cattle for milk, flowers for colour, horses for speed and so on. That was what Hitler and the eugenicists tried to apply to humans. Darwin's genius was to see that NATURE might do the same thing as human breeders, and hence produce all of life including the illusion of design. See 'The Simple Falsehood at the Heart of Expelled.'

Richard

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:10:00 UTC | #143882

DasSquid's Avatar Comment 3 by DasSquid

PZ... I... I think I love you.

Just... wow.

Indeed he is certainly a hero. Striving to sew chaos in the already chaotic world of these nincompoops. But of course, the likely outcome of all this will be them having a go at PZ for being 'shifty' in obtaining the two-way call function, for which it was already obviously the radio station's fault. (The previous sentence is obviously taking PZ's word as truth in the matter.) If we could possibly get an mp3 of either the entire show or even just of a short leadup to PZ's butting in and their reactions, I would like to have a few belly laughs tonight!

Edit: Oh, silly me, thanks to SkepChick, downloaded and... listening to it in a moment. Ah, poorish quality... anyone got a better quality?

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:20:00 UTC | #143889

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 4 by Steve Zara

So excuse me, I've got a few dozen emails in my inbox right now.

I'll bet he does!

Nice work, PZ.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:22:00 UTC | #143890

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 5 by Diacanu

Ahh, finally, a pick-me-up to mend an otherwise glum and boring day.

:D

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:28:00 UTC | #143892

Quine's Avatar Comment 6 by Quine

I am starting to feel sorry for these guys. Wasn't it F. Gump who said, "stupid is as stupid does"?

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:33:00 UTC | #143894

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 7 by DamnDirtyApe

Right on. Keep exposing their lies and stupidity!

Wow, and I never knew about pogrom...

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:13:00 UTC | #143907

Barry Pearson's Avatar Comment 8 by Barry Pearson

Nearly but not quite off-topic - words can't describe this, it has to be seen. (4 minutes).

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:21:00 UTC | #143909

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 9 by Oromasdes1978

Well, my cup of Tea is firmly held high in a massive cheers for PZ, if this is not a definition of a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is, I don't know what would be!

Funny this whole mentioning of Hitler, after reading through all the things that the Expelled crew have been blathering on about Nazis I remembered a well known phrase of Hitler's. The bigger the lie, the more people will believe it - now, is it me, or are Mathis, Stein & co lying their arses off to make this look like it was in fact all the atheists fault?

Everybody should know that PZ did nothing wrong in any of this and that the Expelled crew over-reacted, but it is obvious, at least to me, that they are now lying so that atheists are seen in a bad light in the Christian community. Do they think if they keep repeating the same bullshit over and over again, people will actually rally to their cause?

I am very glad there are people like PZ, PZ's daughter, Richard, Josh - anyone who has contributed into bringing into light what has really happened- who are showing these guys as to what they are really doing - shooting themselves in the foot with a bazooka!

Go gettem!

Philip

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:42:00 UTC | #143913

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 10 by Steve Zara

This kind of action is precisely what is needed. I have expressed that I am not convinced that blogging alone is that useful in moving the debate forward. Part of the reason for this is that you just end up with two groups expressing opposing points of view, mostly to their own supporters. However, it seems that PZ has got reporters involved, and can reveal to them the lies and factual errors in the film. This is a useful step forward, and will, hopefully, raise the media profile of the discussion above the appearance of two sides each accusing each other.

This was hugely cheering.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:51:00 UTC | #143915

lievemebe's Avatar Comment 11 by lievemebe

Comment #151561 by Philip1978

How right you are. This Expelled saga has been very instructive in helping me to be better equipped in dealing with what I reckon will be a rising tide of desperation by the IDiots.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:55:00 UTC | #143916

BicycleRepairMan's Avatar Comment 12 by BicycleRepairMan

PZ Myers, biologist, atheist, blogger and the holder of the Chair For the Public Humiliation of Creationists at The University of Minnesota

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 02:22:00 UTC | #143923

bnightm's Avatar Comment 13 by bnightm

#8 Barry Pearson: That video could use it's own news entry. I think it's hilarious and well made, even if it misrepresents the status of ID-proponents.

I wonder if it's part of the expelled movie, "bowling for columbine"-style. Since they use the 'Expelled' logo in it. Then again, it's almost too funny to consider.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 02:50:00 UTC | #143930

mmurray's Avatar Comment 14 by mmurray

Good job!

I was watching the head of the UN tonight complaining about the dutch movie about Islam and wondered when he would complain about Expelled making false links between evolution and nazism.

Michael

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:09:00 UTC | #143934

Titus's Avatar Comment 15 by Titus

That's the second time in the last few days that PZed has had me in hysterics.
Keep it up PZed, you're a star.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:25:00 UTC | #143940

_J_'s Avatar Comment 16 by _J_

Ah, wonderful stuff. PZ: thank you for continuing to exercise your talent for revealing this lot to be the bunch of ladder-waving, banana-skin-dropping, Ming-vase-juggling clowns that they are.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:00:00 UTC | #143952

Barry Pearson's Avatar Comment 17 by Barry Pearson

nanaj:

Is it meant to be insulting? There is no consensus at YouTube. Some think it is pro-atheist pro-science irony/sarcasm. I suspect the same.

I would love to know what Eugenie Scott would think of her role in it!

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:03:00 UTC | #143954

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 18 by Enlightenme..

Love the utube vid, the bit where Dennett jumps up from the bottom of the screen goin' Yeah! is good, but the Eugenie as an underdressed little girl is a bit iffy!

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:10:00 UTC | #143959

phatbat's Avatar Comment 19 by phatbat

Fantastic.

I wonder how long it will be before a fellow pro evolutionist comes on and complains that PZ and this site still won't let this all drop - obviously completely missing the potential danger a movie like expelled represents to the minds of the religiously indoctrinated.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:38:00 UTC | #143967

Logicel's Avatar Comment 20 by Logicel

Richard D writes: PZ is a priceless asset, a hero of our time.
____

That comment is why I admire RD so much, he gets the essentials quickly.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 05:12:00 UTC | #143973

Saerain's Avatar Comment 21 by Saerain

I was twistedly amused by Hitchens' headband.

What a thread hijack, though.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 05:38:00 UTC | #143979

Lionel A's Avatar Comment 22 by Lionel A

7. Comment #151554 by DamnDirtyApe on March 29, 2008 at 1:13 am

'...Wow, and I never knew about pogrom...'

You would have if you had read Martin Gilbert's three volume 'History of the 20th Century' anybody would think he had a mission in this as he describes pogroms so often that other events are lightly treated or missed, including momentous occurrences in both WW1 and WW2.

Back on topic.

Well done PZ. Spot on as ever.

I looked here after having read his post on Pharyngula first.

Interesting proof that evolution is still occurring and with a story involving Oxford UK.

The rat population is increasing due mostly to fast food and associated wasteful habits by humans and the lack of 'joined-up-thinking' by those in charge, or rather who should be in charge, of controlling the waste problem.

It would appear that a 'super-rat' has evolved that has an extra gene showing up on tests that increases resistance to the usual poison used for rodent control - an anti-coagulant (Warfarin). One expert understands the position very well by pointing out that increasing the use of the poisoned bate will cause selection pressure in favour of the mutant rat.

Oxford is not alone with this problem.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 05:46:00 UTC | #143981

mmurray's Avatar Comment 23 by mmurray

Except the IDers will say that they know about this kind of evolution and what they don't believe in is new species arising.

Michael

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 06:25:00 UTC | #143993

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 24 by Frankus1122

Barry Pearson, I love that video.

Yeah!

I feel it's important to be able to laugh at yourself. I think it is a sign of confidence and maturity.

Steve Zara

I do hope you're right. But let's just wait and see how the media handle all this.
Apparently sometimes even journalists have an "agenda"

Thus the importance of 'critical thinking skills' being taught in our schools. (I'm weaving threads).

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 06:26:00 UTC | #143994

evaporated's Avatar Comment 25 by evaporated

Ben Stein,

What a tool. I wonder if he would be as supportive of historians who are expelled from history departments for questioning the Holocaust? You can't be a biologist (or any scientist) and teach unscientific things like a math teacher can't question the structure of arithmetic of a drivier ed instructor can't teach that speed limits, stop signs, and red lights are mere suggestions...

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 06:31:00 UTC | #143998

JackR's Avatar Comment 26 by JackR

PZ's been on a roll lately. I really enjoyed this little satire of the whole Evolution = Nazism nonsense (see link below).

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 06:42:00 UTC | #144001

sarah95's Avatar Comment 27 by sarah95

PZ is a priceless asset, a hero of our time.

Ha! A hero lauding a hero! Great!

Since all this expelled nonsense has happened, I've been thinking of a song by The Killers (one of their songs was perhaps mischeviously used in Expelled) called "Andy you're a star", with the title in the chorus, and I've been singing "PZ you're a star!" for a while now. Even theists I know who detest ID have heard of PZ now...great!

And RD, if you visit this thread again, go watch the video that Barry Pearson put up! It's a good laugh!

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 07:49:00 UTC | #144015

sarah95's Avatar Comment 28 by sarah95

When I said "A hero lauding a hero!" I meant to indicate that the quote I referenced was RD's.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 07:50:00 UTC | #144017

TheSwede's Avatar Comment 29 by TheSwede

Why do they lie so big?

I've read quite a few creationist/apologetic books in my days and I must say that there are some arguments that could be presented in a discussion, some things that could be brought up that would not suffer direct ridicule. Most of them can easily be solved but they could still be convincing to an ignorant or religious mind.

So why have the Expelled producers set out to lie so big, I wonder? Why do they claim such obvious falsehoods? Such as could be debunked even by none-scientific everyday journalists at the local newspaper?

Maybe they've read Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf and found the passage about lying big as a useful propaganda tool. Hitler says that you should lie so big that no one would believe that you "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously".

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:26:00 UTC | #144032

Mark Smith's Avatar Comment 30 by Mark Smith

If you go here http://atheismsucks.blogspot.com/2008/03/behind-scenes-sort-of-with-ben-stein.html there is a 3-part video of Ben Stein talking with a theologian about Expelled. I've watched the first part only. The quality of thinking is pretty dire in my opinion.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:37:00 UTC | #144038