← Scientists reshape Y chromosome haplogroup tree gaining new insights into human ancestry

Scientists reshape Y chromosome haplogroup tree gaining new insights into human ancestry - Comments

Mal3's Avatar Comment 1 by Mal3

So, I can have these guys trace my genetic heritage back to the dawn of civilisation?

Where do I sign up?

Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:55:00 UTC | #146407

wonder's Avatar Comment 2 by wonder

I signed up and submitted a DNA sample for analysis about a year ago. The information you receive is amazing. It turns out my ancestors weren't created in my present form 6,000 years ago. The resolution of the data continually increases as more and more people submit samples, so the results refine over time.

Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:10:00 UTC | #146414

mmurray's Avatar Comment 3 by mmurray

wonder: Thanks for posting that link I had never heard of this before. Is there any reason to choose maternal or paternal lines ? Which did you do ?

Michael

Wed, 02 Apr 2008 20:45:00 UTC | #146436

sarah95's Avatar Comment 4 by sarah95

Very interesting. I'd love to have a big tree poster like the one that'll be published with this article. I think a genetic lineage tree would be a great thing to have as an art exhibit, both to showcase the beauty of life and to get people interested in anthropology or other sciences.

When I'm older I'd like to have my mtDNA analyzed to see some of my own biological history. I can't imagine spending money on it at the moment, though. Perhaps a birthday present to myself at a later date!

Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:12:00 UTC | #146450

Barry Pearson's Avatar Comment 5 by Barry Pearson

What do Christians think the Y-chromosome of Jesus was like?

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 00:41:00 UTC | #146471

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 6 by Oromasdes1978

What do Christians think the Y-chromosome of Jesus was like?

Hard to tell, perhaps it glowed more than others hence the whole aura thing in the pictures of him?

Either that or he had a special J chromosome and his dad had that G chromosome, you know, keeps up the uniqueness etc! :)

Philip

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 00:53:00 UTC | #146476

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 7 by Quetzalcoatl

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:00:00 UTC | #146478

Mal3's Avatar Comment 8 by Mal3

What do Christians think the Y-chromosome of Jesus was like?

Jesus had a YHWH chromosome.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:02:00 UTC | #146479

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 9 by rod-the-farmer

Wonder this is just too cool. I would like to participate as well, but my current financial situation is holding me back for the moment. For those of us who are very interested, could I ask that you publish somewhere what your results were ? I would be truly fascinated to see the sort of data that comes back.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 02:05:00 UTC | #146497

Adam Morrison's Avatar Comment 10 by Adam Morrison

[blockquote] Little known fact: the skin of Jesus was actually fluorescent. What do you think inspired the hymn "Shine, Jesus, Shine"?
[/blockquote]

Huh? WHAT?? If there's anything cartoons and comics taught me as a child it's that the only people that glow feel in toxic waste. Therefore Jesus fell into toxic waste (or was bombarded with gamma rays).... AND GOT SUPER POWERS!!! He wasn't the son of god! He was . . . . . and X-MAN!!! DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 03:47:00 UTC | #146527

Mal3's Avatar Comment 11 by Mal3

rod-the-farmer

I am definitely planning on having this done, and also trying to talk my mother into doing it as well, so we can trace both lines of our (my) descent.

And I would be more than happy to share my results.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 04:47:00 UTC | #146557

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 13 by rod-the-farmer

I would just like to see the kind of data you get back from National Geographic for your $100

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 04:53:00 UTC | #146563

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 12 by aquilacane

Adam M
Don't you mean Y-MAN

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 04:53:00 UTC | #146562

j.mills's Avatar Comment 14 by j.mills

Limerick Summary News Service!

Y-chromosome polymorphism
Shows up every male-line haploid schism.
Techniques deeply cunning
Bring results seen as stunning
Through science's gene-splitting prism.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 05:06:00 UTC | #146573

annabanana's Avatar Comment 15 by annabanana

Quetz,

Jesus had a mutation that allowed him to have a symbiotic relationship with some bioluminescent bacteria, didn't you know that?

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 05:12:00 UTC | #146578

SamKiddoGordon's Avatar Comment 16 by SamKiddoGordon

Rod the Farmer,

I ordered 2 kits lastnight, one for my wife and one for myself. I will let you know when we get it back, but it could take a while. I will do the Y chromosome, my wife will do the maternal mitochondrial DNA. I had wanted to do this before, but lost track of time. Now we gan show this info to our 5 kids. Yes 5, an atheist with 5 kids, cant let the religious crowd populate the world now can we.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 05:54:00 UTC | #146604

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 17 by Quetzalcoatl

Anna-

Quetz,

I did, Anna. I first found it out when I was a Christian, reading the Bible one night. The verse is pretty obscure, but it is there.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:33:00 UTC | #146722

Wosret's Avatar Comment 18 by Wosret

Yeah, my line travels back, and hits superman, Jesus, the Buddha, Hercules, Ts'ai Lun, Oda Nobunaga, Adam, of course God, then finally Edgar Mellencamp.

I've got a pretty good family tree. Should see the maternal side.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:15:00 UTC | #146789

Tomus_Parvus's Avatar Comment 19 by Tomus_Parvus

I sent in my sample to National Geographic about a month ago, and according to the status I can view online, it should be complete any day now. As soon as I receive my results I'll post here regarding the type of information that is included in the findings.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:29:00 UTC | #146804

chuckg's Avatar Comment 20 by chuckg

Sadly I believe I recall reading that some countries, possibly Indonesia or Malaysia, are talking about forbidding their citizen from giving samples for human DNA cataloging. I think they were rationalizing it as a part of their natural resources and wanted compensation, or they were just anti messing with God work. Figures.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 15:59:00 UTC | #146969

Flajpi's Avatar Comment 21 by Flajpi

Does anyone know how well these age estimates correspond to the estimates made when using mitochondria DNA?

Thu, 05 Jun 2008 08:38:00 UTC | #179569

SteveN's Avatar Comment 22 by SteveN

In answer to Flajpi's question (#21), mitochondrial DNA is (almost) only passed down the female line, whereas the Y-chromosomes are of course passed on through males. There is no reason for the ages to match, therefore. Mitochondrial Eve (the female most recent common ancestor of us all) and Y-chromosome Adam (male MRCA)are thought to be separated by 10's of thousands of years.

Thu, 05 Jun 2008 08:47:00 UTC | #179573

SamKiddoGordon's Avatar Comment 23 by SamKiddoGordon

I got the results back yesterday, Im a Cro-Magnon!! Out of a group of maybe 100 individuals, my non-african acnestor left africa about 39,000 to 71,000 years ago, travelled up through Iran, then around to Europe. Climate was a big factor as to when and where they moved.

Tue, 17 Jun 2008 04:37:00 UTC | #184890