← Anti-gay Okla. lawmaker attracts 1,000 backers

Anti-gay Okla. lawmaker attracts 1,000 backers - Comments

DavidJGrossman's Avatar Comment 2 by DavidJGrossman

Contact info at:

Twisted people like this have no business in our government.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:27:00 UTC | #146664

discipline's Avatar Comment 1 by discipline

"her beliefs are rooted in biblical passages that she said characterizes homosexuality as a sin. "

She's right about that at least. I never understood why moderate Christians don't understand the condemnation of homosexuality in Leviticus. Seems pretty clear to me.

The more Sally Kerns, the better, in my opinion. The more laughably extreme the Christian Right becomes, the more quickly they'll fade into well-deserved obscurity.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:27:00 UTC | #146663

b0ltzm0n's Avatar Comment 3 by b0ltzm0n

This story makes me feel not so gay.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:29:00 UTC | #146665

JemyM's Avatar Comment 4 by JemyM

Kern was cheered Wednesday when she told the crowd at the state Capitol that their support affirmed the rights of conservative Christians "who want to stand up for the truth of God's word."

She have all the neonazis in the world on her side.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:30:00 UTC | #146666

quantum tuba's Avatar Comment 5 by quantum tuba

She said her beliefs are rooted in Biblical passages, did she. Coming soon: Sally Kern discusses the threat posed by masturbating, eating shellfish, and permitting witches to live. She is also expected to endorse the stoning of disobedient children and the marriage of rape victims to their rapists.

Anyone who holds this legislator of stone age dogmatism in any esteem is a FUCKTARD!

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:31:00 UTC | #146667

Adam Morrison's Avatar Comment 6 by Adam Morrison

[blockquote]"Studies show no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than a few decades," Kern said in the recorded comments. "It is not a lifestyle that is good for this nation."[/blockquote]

I absolutely can't stand this woman. The miasmic filth she spews from her mouth makes me ill. Her quote is absolute invention. The only society I can think of in recent history that accepted homosexuality faster than the UK, US and Canada would be the Netherlands, and I'm fairly certain they're still going strong (note that I'm not 100% sure about this, I'm relying on some vague memories of news reports from when I was a child.)

In the ancient world certain amounts of homosexuality existed to varying degrees for centuries. The Greek version of homosexuality certainly didn't destroy their civilization, and even the Romans entertained certain homosexual tolerances for centuries. Both civilizations resulted in some of the most impressive accomplishments of antiquity.

I remember listening to clips of her on the radio. Should not hold office!

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:43:00 UTC | #146670

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 7 by al-rawandi

discipline,

I have noticed an interesting hypocrisy....

When I say to a Christian, "Your Old Testament is a vile and nasty bit, supporting genocide". They inevitbaly say "Well Jesus came and changed all that."

So they claim Jesus "abrogated the Old Testament", yet they still cite the Old Testament when it suits them, like this piece from Leviticus. They happily try to post the 10 Commandments in Courthouses, country-wide.

So they are quite dishonest when discussing these things. Sometimes the Old Testament is out, not to be used, and sometimes it is in, to be applied rigorously.

I wonder if the cognitive dissonance causes headaches.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:49:00 UTC | #146672

FightingFalcon's Avatar Comment 8 by FightingFalcon

Sacred Band of Thebes, anyone? Composed of 150 male couples, it was the fiercest fighting force in Ancient Greece before being destroyed by Philip II of Macedon at Chaeronea.

That is to say nothing about the rest of Greece and, to a certain extent, Rome. Nor the widespread homosexual and bi-sexual practices in pre-Islamic (and post-Islamic for a while) Arabia. While certainly none of those cultures adopted homosexuality exclusively, I doubt any example can be found of a society that was exclusively homosexual. But bisexual practices in Ancient Greece and Rome were very much widespread. In Sparta, males were expected to be homosexual for the majority of their life before eventually settling down with a wife for the perpetuation of the society. But even then, males had to sneak out of the barracks because leaving your male partner behind to sleep with your wife was looked at with a negative light.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:50:00 UTC | #146673

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 9 by al-rawandi

Falcon,

You should read Hugh Kennedy's "In the Caliph's Court". The Abbassid Caliphate (which lasted several centuries) was known for its pederasty.

I heard Kennedy give a lecture at the MESA conference and he said;

Once the young boys got facial hair, they had to be found other employment.

In Islam, the afterlife also promises "Dark eyed young boys, like pearls, to serve you."

They are still hanging around. Guess this whacko bitch is wrong.... What do you expect, she lives in Oklahoma.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:56:00 UTC | #146675

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 10 by Frankus1122

Comment #154449 by quantum tuba :

For absolute pwnage on this topic watch President Barlett dress down a Dr. Laura /Sally Kern

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:56:00 UTC | #146676

Ygern's Avatar Comment 11 by Ygern

I'm afraid the New Testament isn't much better when it comes to hate-mongering & bigotry & subjugation of (well, to be honest) just about anyone different - see the Rantings of Paul aka Epistles.

Al-Rawandi, seriously, ask anyone using the 'New Testament changes all that' argument how they reconcile Paul's teachings with the new enlightened soft-focus stuff they think is in there.

It saddens me that people would rally to show support for such an ugly hateful human-being.
Oh well, Jesus must be proud.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:58:00 UTC | #146677

FightingFalcon's Avatar Comment 12 by FightingFalcon

Al-Rawandi,

I'll check out the book. I love how Muslims attempt to erase any traces of homosexuality in Islamic lands, given the strong tradition of homosexual practices in pre-Islamic Arabia. Even the practice of Bacchá continues to this day in certain Islamic lands.

I've seen that quote from the Koran as well. For some reason, everyone knows about the 72 virgins but not the young boys. I wonder why that is...

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:05:00 UTC | #146679

Star Spangled Eagle's Avatar Comment 13 by Star Spangled Eagle

"homosexuality poses a bigger threat to the nation than terrorism."

Umm. I confused.

Example of a terrorists: Crash planes into buildings killing thousands.

Example of a gay citizen: Attracted to the same sex.

Hmmm, So very dangerous. I mean, as a heterosexual male I am threatened by a private citizen choosing to have a relationship with someone over someone piloting a large object, weighing many tons smashing into a building with the sole objective of killing as many people as possible.

-shiver- Ewww I can't stand the thought of gay people, nothing is worse than that!. (Sarcasm)

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:06:00 UTC | #146680

logos_tech's Avatar Comment 14 by logos_tech

Just what studies show this? As usual references are lacking as the demagogue keeps spouting.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:18:00 UTC | #146684

croatcat's Avatar Comment 15 by croatcat

al-rawandi,

48 yrs of RC, 35 yrs of a psychological battle. No matter how I tried to justify the teaching with the world at large, never quite fit. So yes, many headached days and nights! The cherry-picking finally became absurd. There is no getting through to person of "faith" that just knows they are right about what their god has told them.

Until religions are relegated to the realm of silly myths, these people will keep popping up like dandelions, spreading their hate and hypocrisy.

I am getting very tired of being told how best to live my life. Seems to be escalating here in the good ol US.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:18:00 UTC | #146685

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 16 by al-rawandi

Falcon,

Well I guess they still view 72 virgins as a marketing scheme. I guess the boys are just too embarrasing.

As for pre-Islamic Arabia, I recall doing some research for a book and I cam across a deity named "Dhu Ghabat", a minor deity of the Dedanites. A god was mentioned in the Bible as "He of the Thicket" (Isaiah) which is almost a certain parallel.

Anyhow, young boys were sacrificed to this deity, often as young as 3 years old. And when one treats young boys as objects... well you get the picture.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:22:00 UTC | #146686

jmrunning3's Avatar Comment 17 by jmrunning3

I live in Oklahoma, and have all my life. In many respects, we are a very backward state, and it's very much the fault of backward lawmakers like Sally Kern, Jim Inhofe, Tom Coburn, et al.

We have the highest divorce rate in the country.
We have nearly the worst-paid teachers in the country.
We used to be the meth-producing capital of the country.
We have three of the top ten highest-polluting, coal-fired electricity plants in the nation.
We have the most per-capita fastfood restaurants (or, did at one time).
Teen preganancy, High School dropouts...

You get the idea, and I could go on, and on, and on.

But, on the bright side, we have chuches of every stripe on every goddamn corner of every goddamn town. Many preaching how gays are the ruin of our state and nation. I'd like Sally 'God-loving' Kern to tell me how gays have one tiny bit of responsibility for even one of the problems I've listed above, just one. Nevermind the rest of our nation.

...and she should not apologize for her comments. It would be hollow and insincere and mean nothing. Screw that.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:27:00 UTC | #146688

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 18 by kaiserkriss

[I wonder if the cognitive dissonance causes headaches.]

No Al, it is called compartmentalization of fact from fiction, and never the twain shall meet. jcw

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:29:00 UTC | #146690

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 19 by Gregg Townsend

My problem with these hypocrites is, they incessantly talk about 'love' yet they are in essence trying to legislate denial of love and happiness to other couples. Their complaint is so inane it makes me crazy.

-- Gregg

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:38:00 UTC | #146697

TheSwede's Avatar Comment 20 by TheSwede

Oh, what about ancient Greece?

Or modern Sweden for that matter... Hopefully we'll last a decade or so more!

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:43:00 UTC | #146698

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 21 by al-rawandi

kaiser,

Well I stand corrected.

I just call it idiocy, sometimes stupidity, and often.... fucktardary.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:45:00 UTC | #146701

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 22 by Diacanu

Podaar-

That's why I long for the day when everyone gets as sick of religion as us atheists, and just collectively snap out of it, like the cult members throwing their candles into the water at the end of Conan.

These ancient religions are obsolete, and no longer serve us.
They're based on fear, not love.
That simple.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:50:00 UTC | #146704

Geoff's Avatar Comment 23 by Geoff

Waiting for David to pop in with "that's not my christianity she's talking about"...

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:53:00 UTC | #146705

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 24 by al-rawandi

Geoff,

I thought I was the only guy looking at his watch.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:56:00 UTC | #146706

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 25 by Gregg Townsend

Diacanu;

...Atheist don't know love and can't support it because they don't love Jesus.

*gag*

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:56:00 UTC | #146707

ThoughtsonCommonToad's Avatar Comment 26 by ThoughtsonCommonToad

The easiest way to show this kind of nonsense up is just to quote Leviticus at them:

* Don't let cattle graze with other kinds of Cattle (Leviticus 19:19)

* Don't have a variety of crops on the same field. (Leviticus 19:19)

* Don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19)

* Don't cut your hair nor shave. (Leviticus 19:27)

* Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed. (Leviticus 20:9)

* If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die. (Leviticus 20:10)

* If a man sleeps with his father's wife... both him and his father's wife is to be put to death. (Leviticus 20:11)

* If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death. (Leviticus 20:14)

* If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed. (Leviticus 20:15-16)

* If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people" (Leviticus 20:18)

* Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death. (Leviticus 20:27)

* If a priest's daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake. (Leviticus 21:9)

* People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)

* Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community. (Leviticus 24:14-16)

Source: http://biblebabble.curbjaw.com/laws.htm

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:00:00 UTC | #146710

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 27 by Diacanu

Am I the only one who looked at the headline too quickly, and thought it said "Anti-gay Okla. lawmaker attracts 1,000 hackers"?

I kinda relished the idea of a 1,000 righteous hackers reducing her computer to a puddle of sizzling slag.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:04:00 UTC | #146712

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 28 by Diacanu

Podaar-

Diacanu;

...Atheist don't know love and can't support it because they don't love Jesus.

*gag*

Doncha just love that shit?
No way they could get away with saying something that nasty about another race or nationality.
...well, they used to...wasn't too long ago either.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:08:00 UTC | #146713

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 29 by Gregg Townsend

Diacanu;

Sorry, OT, but I must say Vampire Hunter D is my second favorite anime, I want to watch it everytime I see your Avatar (Ghost in the Machine is #1 for me).

OT < off >

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:22:00 UTC | #146716

ThoughtsonCommonToad's Avatar Comment 30 by ThoughtsonCommonToad

Page last updated at 17:30 GMT, Thursday, 3 April 2008 18:30 UK

Eight men planned to detonate bombs aboard flights from London across the Atlantic to create deaths on an almost unprecedented scale, a court has heard.

Homemade devices were to be smuggled on to passenger aircraft and detonated mid-flight, Woolwich Crown Court heard.

Prosecutor Peter Wright QC said the men planned to inflict heavy casualties, "all in the name of Islam".

Yeah homosexuality is more dangerous than terrorism.

Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:25:00 UTC | #146717