← In search of the God particle

In search of the God particle - Comments

black wolf's Avatar Comment 1 by black wolf

I really like this man. His thinking alone is so much greater than the God theologians have painstakingly painted over centuries.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 06:28:00 UTC | #148866

padster1976's Avatar Comment 2 by padster1976

As I understood it, the Higgs Boson is the only fundamental particle that has been predicted yet not found.

It's a shame that he squirms about the 'god' title - I absolutely agree with him however that in todays world, you just know that some people will not get the reference and take it literally!

It's like when I say 'god knows' when asked something.

Like maybe I'm thinking about this too much - I need a holiday.

Patrick.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 06:52:00 UTC | #148875

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 3 by Quetzalcoatl

I'll be keeping my eyes open for the findings of this.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 06:55:00 UTC | #148876

Geoff's Avatar Comment 4 by Geoff

Me too, Quetz, but the "Higgs Bosun" in the introduction made me smile!

God just keeps getting smaller and smaller, doesn't he?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:08:00 UTC | #148885

Pattern Seeker's Avatar Comment 5 by Pattern Seeker

And if it is found...

Prof. Higgs replied "I shall open a bottle of something."

Perhaps we can start a "Professor Higgs Bottle Of Something Celebration Fund." :)

I'd chip in a few bucks.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:18:00 UTC | #148898

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 6 by irate_atheist

5. Comment #156750 by Pattern Seeker -

I might, or might not, chip in a few bucks. The envelope may - or may not - contain cash. Only by opening the envelope will we find out.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:27:00 UTC | #148906

AdrianB's Avatar Comment 7 by AdrianB

Here is The Times article of the same story:

This article allows comments, and the amount of rubbish posted by religious wingnuts is staggering.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:27:00 UTC | #148907

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 8 by Quetzalcoatl

irate-

it's also possible that the envelope, upon being opened, could be found to contain a very pissed-off cat.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:32:00 UTC | #148913

Pattern Seeker's Avatar Comment 9 by Pattern Seeker

Would that be Schrodinger's Cat...

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:36:00 UTC | #148915

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 10 by irate_atheist

7. Comment #156759 by AdrianB -

"Only two things are infinite - the Universe and human stupidity - and I'm not sure about the Universe." - Albert Einstein

Spot on Al, spot on.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:42:00 UTC | #148920

Storeo's Avatar Comment 11 by Storeo

From the Times article;

"Jesus will put a stop to this ungodly experiment." Thomas Jones, London, UK.

lulz, o rly Thomas?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:49:00 UTC | #148927

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 12 by Quetzalcoatl

"Jesus will put a stop to this ungodly experiment." Thomas Jones, London, UK

I doubt it, Thomas.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:55:00 UTC | #148933

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 13 by hungarianelephant

The Times refused my comment, which was a kind offer to bet every one of the sceptics $100 that the experiment would not cause the end of the world.

Worth a try, I thought.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:57:00 UTC | #148934

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 14 by irate_atheist

12. Comment #156785 by Quetzalcoatl -

He was referring to Jesus Harrington. The well known wrecker of various scientific experiments. He really screwed up one by Schrodinger when he brought a tin of 'Whiskas' into the lab. Boy, were they mad about that.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:03:00 UTC | #148937

Pattern Seeker's Avatar Comment 15 by Pattern Seeker

14. Comment #156789 by irate_atheist-

Little did Jesus know, but that can of 'Whiskas' was in quantum superposition consisting of both dead and alive animal by-products...yet when he opened that tin he expected to find one state or another, not a mixture of dead and alive animal by-products.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:21:00 UTC | #148947

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 16 by DamnDirtyApe

Urgh! Reading those comments for the Times, I haven't been as annoyed with people's ignorance since that program on BBC on sunday morning with the good professor, that horrible woman, and those idiotic debate topics!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:23:00 UTC | #148953

BigJohn's Avatar Comment 17 by BigJohn

I have a feeing that as more powerful accelerators are built more particles will be found, ad infinitum. Just a weird idea I have had since I was a youth.

Well, it is obvious that the people worried about the destruction of the world by a black hole generated by the LHC are not fundamentalist christians because isn't that exactly the Armageddon they are looking for? Oh, maybe not. What if God couldn't find the Earth if it was swallowed by a black hole. How could he rapture all of the "good" people?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:58:00 UTC | #148975

SPS's Avatar Comment 18 by SPS

Professor Higgs seems like an awesome guy.
This is very exciting, however, beyond the threat of mini black holes, they have completely overlooked the possiblity of someone falling into the collider, thereby being granted superpowers. This will likely be a geeky scientist who doesn't know quite what to make of his new found abilities, and will have to decide whether to use them for good or evil.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:03:00 UTC | #148983

Wosret's Avatar Comment 19 by Wosret

Oh, the God particle? This must prove god, looks like I can't be an atheist anymore. Because a particle could exist that people have nick-named the god particle.

Hmm? Tt is unlikely that this will destory us all? Good to know, good to know.

I hope to hear more about this.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:09:00 UTC | #148987

AshtonBlack's Avatar Comment 20 by AshtonBlack

12. Comment #156785 by Quetzalcoatl

I doubt it, Thomas.

:) clever ;)

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:10:00 UTC | #148988

Wosret's Avatar Comment 21 by Wosret

SPS, there was a supervillian on Spider-man that developed superpowers and was able to control black holes. I believe he called himself "The Spot".

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:16:00 UTC | #148995

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 22 by Steve Zara

Comment #156827 by BigJohn

It's not weird at all - it is an idea shared by some physicists. There is a LOT of space between the particles we know and the smallest possible size (the Planck length). Protons and neutrons are about 1.6 x 10^-15 m in diameter, and the smallest length is 1.6 x 10^-35 m. That is 20 orders of magnitude.

If the Planck length was enlarged to the size of, say, a family car, then a proton would be around the size of our galaxy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:26:00 UTC | #149001

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 23 by hungarianelephant

See, if I were a scientist, and I had an experiment that (a) had a good chance of discovering something important, but (b) had a small chance of destroying the planet, I'd probably think "fuck it" and go ahead anyway. And you know that this is what they are thinking too.

The last words spoken on Earth will be not "Allahu Akhbar", but "What would happen if we did this?"

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:29:00 UTC | #149003

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 24 by Steve Zara

Comment #156855 by hungarianelephant

Just to put minds at rest, the chance of anything nasty happening is very, very remote. The reason why we can be confident of this is that particle collisions of far greater energy happen every day when cosmic rays strike the atmosphere. Nature has already done this experiment, and nothing happened.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:36:00 UTC | #149005

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 25 by hungarianelephant

But I notice no denial ...

(For the avoidance of doubt, the raised eyebrow doesn't work too well on the internet, and I am not at all worried about this experiment. For one thing, if it does go awry, we'll all be dead in seconds, right?)

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:44:00 UTC | #149012

AdrianB's Avatar Comment 26 by AdrianB

Comment #156855 by hungarianelephant

I'm with you on this. I think the future survival of our species is so dependant on discoveries that may arise from experiments like this, that even if, unlikely as it may be, something did go wrong, my last thoughts would be "well it was worth a try."

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:53:00 UTC | #149019

gyokusai's Avatar Comment 27 by gyokusai

At the comments section of the timesonline.co.uk article, the goddidits' unbridled bigotry and the dogooders' feed-a-hungry-child-instead self-pompousness are really battling it out for world-dominance. Unbelievable.

^_^J.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:14:00 UTC | #149035

Bigorra's Avatar Comment 28 by Bigorra

Some scientists have suggested that they may generate mini black holes, which have led others to suggest that these black holes could somehow merge to form a larger, destructive entity that could swallow up the entire earth.

If only Ben Stein would make a movie about particle physics, a hastily thrown together piece of trash full of misconstrued statements, non-sequiturs and ad hominem attacks, we could stop these horrible, evil scientists from going against the will of God. I'll even supply him with another ridiculous pair of short-pants, because if anything says, "Take me seriously!", it's a grown man dressed like a 10 year old boy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:32:00 UTC | #149051

Vadjong's Avatar Comment 29 by Vadjong

In my younger years I once wrote the longest short-story ever. It went something like this:
Time machine, first test run in 3.. 2.. 1.. 1.. 1.. 1../

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:55:00 UTC | #149071

Thor'Ungal's Avatar Comment 30 by Thor'Ungal

having read only a small selection of the comments on the times site I think:

a) calling it the 'god' particle brings out the nut jobs big time

b) I did not understand the shear depth of human stupidity, I am truly in awe

oh and "Science, it works bitches"

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:40:00 UTC | #149107