← Ancient serpent shows its leg

Ancient serpent shows its leg - Comments

SteveN's Avatar Comment 1 by SteveN

So, what will the creos say about this, I wonder? Lizard amputee or deformed snake?

Oh! Oh! I know! It's the snake from the Garden of Eden. The one that God condemned to henceforth crawl on its belly in the dirt. Before that it walked on its hind legs. Once again science confirms the truth of the Bible. Hallelujah!

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:34:00 UTC | #151395

oshottan's Avatar Comment 2 by oshottan

no no no! This snake is much too old! It can't be 92 million years old, maybe 5,500 at the most! No one here believes that discredited lie about the Christian bible not being 100% accurate?

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:09:00 UTC | #151402

decius's Avatar Comment 3 by decius

SteveN

Thanks for your lucid and informative comment.
If I may hazard a speculation, the specimen should be checked for the remains of a larynx, whose presence will confirm beyond reasonable doubts your hypothesis and strengthen further the validity of Creation Science.

Bless ya

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:54:00 UTC | #151411

Vadjong's Avatar Comment 4 by Vadjong

To evolutionists this fossil is just another mildly fascinating example of a find that may help solve one of the gazillion little questions that they are professionally curious about.
To genesisists it should be yet another worldview shattering blow, so the first posters here are quite right to focus their ridicule on that, even though the article is in itself fairly dry and factual to non-nerds.

BTW, Decius: no larynx will be found. Everybody knows snakes use hypnosis and telepathy !

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:41:00 UTC | #151426

riki's Avatar Comment 5 by riki

No amount of evidence would sway Creationists. They've got their own deluded agenda.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:56:00 UTC | #151429

JackR's Avatar Comment 6 by JackR

A moron creationist responds:

1. So where are the transitional forms that link the two-legged snake to the no-legged snake?

OR

2. That's not a transitional form. It's not a snake. Just a completely different animal that doesn't exist any more.

Genesis wins again!

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 04:11:00 UTC | #151482

MakingBelieve's Avatar Comment 7 by MakingBelieve

I don't know why but I love that avatar, Riki! A head-banger (-bobber?) cat is a transitional form isn't it?

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 05:34:00 UTC | #151496

Pattern Seeker's Avatar Comment 8 by Pattern Seeker

So does this mean that this species of snake had a leg up on the others?

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 05:45:00 UTC | #151501

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 9 by Oromasdes1978

I wont believe its the original snake from the Bible till they confirm the vocal chords as well as the legs!

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 05:54:00 UTC | #151502

Roy_H's Avatar Comment 10 by Roy_H

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 06:13:00 UTC | #151512

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 11 by aquilacane

People, people; this is obviously a test of faith. What, with the current religious climate and the rampant arrogance of atheists, this can only be seen as a test from god. The timing is perfect; a true believer will see the designed significance.

IDiots

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 06:46:00 UTC | #151524

headcold's Avatar Comment 12 by headcold

Let's not exclude the creation scientists.

Check it out: it's yet another transitional form, a 92 million (or 6,000) year old snake with two hindlimbs. Cool! Just last week I was told that none of these things exist.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:23:00 UTC | #151538

lozzer's Avatar Comment 13 by lozzer

Ah spurs used to be visible on my old Royal Python.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:51:00 UTC | #151553

bluebird's Avatar Comment 14 by bluebird

Snakes in the grass, alas...... Another fabulous fossil find.
We own a red-tailed boa constrictor; it's fun to watch him cruise our backyard!!

During outdoor excursions, we have to watch out for these!

EDIT: evotruth, nice Video...

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:59:00 UTC | #151573

evotruth's Avatar Comment 15 by evotruth

I have an interesting video on youtube about Lizards , Snakes and Legs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VcABDFYRP4

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:07:00 UTC | #151575

Filius Nithardi's Avatar Comment 16 by Filius Nithardi

Here are some nice photos of a Python's vestigial hind limbs:

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:06:00 UTC | #151605

Double Bass Atheist's Avatar Comment 17 by Double Bass Atheist

It never seems to matter how many transitional fossils are discovered, IDiots will still just keep saying, "There have never been any transistional fossils found!"

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:15:00 UTC | #151613

the way's Avatar Comment 18 by the way

If these transitionals keep appearing, Dog itself will have pop up and show a leg, 'cos if jesus christ himself appeared he would be villified and ridiculed as a fake by all christians whatever their various denominations. Jesus had better not pop up in an islamic country, unless he wants to go thru all that again!

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:28:00 UTC | #151617

D'Arcy's Avatar Comment 19 by D'Arcy

Perhaps in honour of ignorance this 2 legged snake should be named "Monty". No not the python, but the "full" variety. The bare nakedness of the creationists' lies is further exposed by this slithering Slytherin.

"Well what did the snakes ever do for us?"

"Apart from persuading humanity into original sin, and from then on biting us and generally making us scared, and helping provide evidence for the theory of evolution, ... not much really."

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:00:00 UTC | #151638

Wosret's Avatar Comment 20 by Wosret

Kawaii! Hebi ashi ga kawaii desu.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:27:00 UTC | #151645

Geoff's Avatar Comment 21 by Geoff

Wakarimasen, gomen nasai.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:02:00 UTC | #151656

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 22 by Friend Giskard

Don't get too excited. This might be seen (not by me!) as confirmation of the Genesis story. It was only after the Fall that the serpent was made to crawl on its belly as a punishment. It obviously had legs before that, otherwise there would have been no punishment. Properly read, Genesis actually predicted this discovery.

[watashi wa hebi no ashi ga kawaiku nai to omoimasu. (koko ni wa minna nihongo ga wakaru n'desu)]
*edited for grammatical gaffe.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:04:00 UTC | #151657

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 23 by HourglassMemory

Roy_H
"There was the recently discovered Tiktaalik and now another nail in the creationist's coffin lid

I think the lid is nothing but nails.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:46:00 UTC | #151676

Raiko's Avatar Comment 24 by Raiko

Kawaii! Hebi ashi ga kawaii desu.

蛇の足がかわいいですが、無益な足も思える。

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:51:00 UTC | #151679

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 25 by DamnDirtyApe

The folk who found this are Science heros.

Super Synchrotron force: Assemble!

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:21:00 UTC | #151690

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 26 by The Truth, the light

I posted the article on a Christian Forum and here's the intelligent creationist response

OMG LMAO, are you serious !?

that little thing a leg ? it looks to me like the already existing little claws that modern snakes have and use for mating,, its just one bone sticking out either side, and its supposed to be a remnant of a leg ?

just picture that a snake with only 2 legs in the back, half slither half walk, ? lol get real, stop being so desperate its embarrassing.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:40:00 UTC | #151699

Wosret's Avatar Comment 27 by Wosret

Geoff, I (hopefully marginally legibly) said "cute. Snake legs are cute". Though I'm certain I got the structure wrong.

My Japanese is pathetic, though I'm learning. Snakes are one of the animals of the zodiac, I know them, and I know the body parts. So I thought I'd attempt a sentence.

Raiko, I can't read a single Kanji symbol. I'm going to work on learning to speak Japanese before I work on learning to read it. I am extremely envious if you can read Kanji. There is a huge score of manga I'd love to be reading right now. It is the reason I want to learn Japanese, so I don't have to wait years after something comes out in english. Besides that, what you wrote didn't even come off properly, it looks like nonsense symbols to me "蛇の足ãÅ'かわいいですãÅ'、無益な足も思える。" . Otherwise I could have attempted to run it through a translator, though that likely wouldn't have worked, because I don't know how to seperate the words either. I haven't even attempted to learn anything about Kanji yet.

Curious, what did you say?

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:56:00 UTC | #151705

Wosret's Avatar Comment 28 by Wosret

watashi wa hebi no ashi ga kawaiku nai to omoimasu. (koko ni wa minna nihongo o wakaru n'desu)

Fried Griskard, I just noticed your imput, and I don't understand most of it. I think you are disagreeing with me, and saying that you don't think that snake legs are cute in the first part. I have no glue what the second thing you are saying is, I think it ends with asking if I understand. Which I don't..sumimasen. I understand the words watashi, as the most formal version of "I". Kawaiku nai to mean "note cute" and omoimasu to mean "I think". I thought that "wa" was used when refering to people, and "ga" used when refering to things...or is "wa" also used when refering to animals as well?

I'm incredibly knew to learn it. Which I'm sure you must have picked up from my inaccurate sentene.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:15:00 UTC | #151709

dragonfirematrix's Avatar Comment 29 by dragonfirematrix

Liberty University should require these findings to be taught as facts to their students in the religious science classes. It might bring light to their darkened education.

And on the eighth day, science said to the lost masses, "the first seven days are lies. I will reveal to you the truth. All you have to do is open your mind."

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:25:00 UTC | #151742

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 30 by Friend Giskard

Hi Mitchell
In the brackets I just made the not very witty remark that hereabouts everyone understands Japanese.

[Since you are just starting out, I can't resist giving a little advice I wish I'd had when I was starting. {This is way off the topic of this thread so I'll keep it short} Do yourself a favor and go to http://kanji.koohii.com/
and start learning the kanji now at an easy rate of five or ten a day (while continuing your normal studies). It is not necessary to understand any Japanese to get through this stage, and by the time you are ready to start reading, 2000 or more kanji will already be familiar friends. Because I had no-one to give me this advice when I was starting out I had to put my Japanese studies on hold for months when I wanted to start reading just to get through this time consuming, exhausting and BORING task. Good luck with your studies.]

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:17:00 UTC | #151747