← School bars same-sex partners at formals

School bars same-sex partners at formals - Comments

suffolkthinker's Avatar Comment 1 by suffolkthinker

Is anyone surprised by this? Given the premise of the church that homosexuality it wrong this is just a logical conclusion to it.

Yet another example of why religious institutions should not be allowed to be entrusted with the education of the young.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:24:00 UTC | #153425

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 2 by hungarianelephant

Dr Scandrett said he did have some sympathy for gay students who wished to take their partners to the coming-of-age function but people knew the position of Anglican schools on homosexuality when they enrolled.

... at the age of 11.

Is this a serious argument?

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:32:00 UTC | #153434

Ansu's Avatar Comment 3 by Ansu

How about a dont ask dont tell police? He wont tell he brought a boy to the ball and you dont ask whos his partner is.
It worked for the army... more or less..

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:36:00 UTC | #153437

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 4 by al-rawandi

I agree. You have to ban the same sex.

People always need different sex. The same sex gets boring after a couple of weeks, and this can lead to the deterioration of the relationship. Any sex expert will tell you, keeping it lively in the bedroom is key to a healthy relationship.

Well done to the Anglican Church.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:37:00 UTC | #153439

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 5 by Steve Zara

Comment #161431 by al-rawandi

That nearly let to me ruining a laptop through spluttering a drink with laughter.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:39:00 UTC | #153440

RobDinsmore's Avatar Comment 6 by RobDinsmore

When I was in high school(public) I am pretty sure that a gay couple would have been ostracized if they went to a dance together. Heck they would be ridiculed for just coming out. I am not sure things have changed that much in the last 15 years in Massachusetts, but perhaps I am wrong. What is the attitude towards gays among teenagers these days?

Also I find it kind of advantageous, although reprehensible, that xtians, and muslims alike tend to treat gays as they do. (Obviously I mean the nonviolent shunning, not the extreme violence) It seems to me that gays are gaining more and more social acceptability and as such their treatment by religious factions is yet another thing that highlights their built in, god approved, hateful bigotry. I just think that the more aspects of religion tend to clash with the prevailing moral zeitgeist the more traction they will lose with future generations.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:41:00 UTC | #153442

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 7 by al-rawandi

Steve,

Glad I could help!

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:52:00 UTC | #153450

ordeneus's Avatar Comment 8 by ordeneus

Why are religious types always so selective in their hatred? Sure the bibly says that "gay people = teh bad(tm)", but the bibly also says that adultery should lead to death. Shagging while on the blob? Oooh, got some stones for ya!

Why the hang up with gay people?

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:01:00 UTC | #153457

FightingFalcon's Avatar Comment 9 by FightingFalcon

Didn't I see this exact situation played out in the sarcastic-parody movie "Saved"?

At least in the movie it was a joke...

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:02:00 UTC | #153459

flobear's Avatar Comment 10 by flobear

They shouldn't even be having those dances in the first place. Imagine! Young girls and boys fraternizing with each other. The whole thing sounds like an invitation for the devil. What they should do is replace the event with an abstinence education seminar and throw in some brain gym for good measure.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:07:00 UTC | #153462

su-eco's Avatar Comment 11 by su-eco

I just get so tired... as ordeneus wrote: "why the hang up on gay people?". My only explanation to this would be that the church and hypocrite Christians follows the same rule as Nazis and other misguided people:
Kick on some one that narrow minded and un enlightened people hate and maybe that will at least give you some support.

The problem for the church is that it has been losing so much ground (I live in Spain and here the church is losing every day) so in desperation the church turn to darker corners of people's minds and desperately find something "evil" and easy to attract hatred against.
It is the last straw for a dying institution... I hope...

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:08:00 UTC | #153463

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 12 by mjwemdee

Oh the hypocrisy. Oh the double standards. As the man says himself:

'...We love all our [gay] students as we do all people in our churches but...'
No you don't, you moron! You cannot claim you love people equally if you don't treat them equally. Why do the faithheads not GET this????

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:15:00 UTC | #153468

hoops mccann's Avatar Comment 13 by hoops mccann

"In Sydney, a homosexual person is valued because they are a person but would not be appointed to a position in the diocese, but would be welcome in our churches because everyone is welcome."

i.e., their money is as good as anyone else's

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:25:00 UTC | #153475

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 14 by Frankus1122

Although I am not entirely in favour of same sex I really have no option. I try new things but my wife keeps asking me what I think I am doing. *Sigh*

Seriously, we had a situation like this in Ontario a few years ago.
I just looked it up. It was in 2002.
Here is a link:
It makes for interesting reading.

EDIT:

The decision was the boy could go to the dance with his partner. The judges decision is again, interesting reading.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:30:00 UTC | #153479

HeyBishop's Avatar Comment 15 by HeyBishop

"If you believe what the Bible says, that's how you should behave or act. It boils down to what you believe"

I guess these schools ought to stone their students who want to bring a same-sex partner... You know, to set a proper - moral- example.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:40:00 UTC | #153488

Raiko's Avatar Comment 16 by Raiko

I think they should ban boys without beards, too. After all, the bible is against cutting your beard.

Really, the old "argument from Levithicus" applies, as abused as this is. If you ban one, ban them all.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:42:00 UTC | #153492

Wosret's Avatar Comment 17 by Wosret

This is just a reason why religiously based schools need to die a quiet death.

Don't worry, buck up, as social acceptance of homosexuality gets to the point that it becomes a real problem for the church, they will magically figure out that "lying with a man as you would a women" doesn't mean homosexuality at all, but something completely different.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:58:00 UTC | #153511

alexmzk's Avatar Comment 18 by alexmzk

"The school formal is meant to be a formal dance between a young man and a young woman, not a young man and a young man," he said.

"If you believe what the Bible says, that's how you should behave or act. It boils down to what you believe.

"The Bible is very strong that marriage is between a man and a woman and homosexual relationships are not permissible in a sense, not encouraged, they are spoken very strongly against."

i believe what the Bible says is that gay couples should not sleep together. there is apparently no Biblical condemnation of dancing.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:59:00 UTC | #153513

jimbob's Avatar Comment 19 by jimbob

Just another example of how religion is an impediment to humanistic morality.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:03:00 UTC | #153519

Geoff's Avatar Comment 20 by Geoff

I found this an extremely confused article, even by their standards!
Most of the peculiarities have already been pointed out.

I wonder, though, whether the "law of unintended benefits" might come into play here. Maybe making them choose between their bible and their partner might help them escape the clutches of their religion?

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:04:00 UTC | #153558

42nd's Avatar Comment 21 by 42nd

say what you want, but the fact is that this discussion is about gay people being allowed to DANCE.

In some parts of the world they are not even allowed to LIVE.

If we want to be taken seriously, we need to get our priorities straight.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:22:00 UTC | #153582

ME!0364's Avatar Comment 22 by ME!0364

RobDinsmore: Well, I'm in school right now, and if anyone came out they would be socially shunned by members of the same gender. In fact, 'gay' is basically a substitute for stuoid, like "THat's gay". It isn't even used mostly in a homophobic manner.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:27:00 UTC | #153588

MaxD's Avatar Comment 23 by MaxD

We love all our [gay] students as we do all people in our churches but their lifestyle is not encouraged, particularly if it was a promiscuous lifestyle. We are dealing with young people here.

Young people, we should further say, we have no problem marginalizing and alienating. Its a good thing they have God to comfort them because just don't have that kind time!

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:43:00 UTC | #153602

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 24 by al-rawandi

42nd,

The real issue is that these people know gay men are the only men who can dance worth a shit, and so the straight men don't want to get shown up.

It's very simple.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:49:00 UTC | #153605

MaxD's Avatar Comment 25 by MaxD

AlexMZK said:

I suspect its not the sleeping part that has people concerned, but rather the horizontal dancing that they cannot, no matter how hard they try, stop thinking about.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:54:00 UTC | #153609

ligfietser's Avatar Comment 26 by ligfietser

But... isn't this just plain evidence the bible is wrong? It's for sure an argument against the bible, not an argument against homosexuality.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:00:00 UTC | #153620

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 27 by Tezcatlipoca

I had an interesting experience when I visited my sister in Tampa a few years ago. She and her partner attend a sort of pentacostal church where same sex couples are welcome. When the old lady and the preacher started speaking in tongues I was like "whoa nellie!" It sounded like a 3 hp outboard motor with a dirty reed valve. *sputter, burble, sploot, sploot* My retired science teacher/drill instructor father would have done backflips if he only knew. Even with the entertainment I had a very hard time staying conscious.

p.s. I challenge Quetzalcoatl to an obsidian vine cage match!

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #153632

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 28 by Agrajag

19. Comment #161508 by alexmzk on April 15, 2008 at 10:59 am

We're talking about "the dance with no steps" here. Everyone knows that. Jeez!
Ste5e

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:12:00 UTC | #153634

MaxD's Avatar Comment 29 by MaxD

Mitchell Gilks said:

This is just a reason why religiously based schools need to die a quiet death.

It can be noisy.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:14:00 UTC | #153638

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 30 by Quetzalcoatl

Tezcatlipoca-

p.s. I challenge Quetzalcoatl to an obsidian vine cage match

Bring it, jaguar-boy. I'll cut your remaining foot off and feed it to a python!

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:18:00 UTC | #153645