← Sex for diploma offer caught on tape

Sex for diploma offer caught on tape - Comments

PrexicKehdaki's Avatar Comment 1 by PrexicKehdaki

I've posted this on youtube:

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:45:00 UTC | #156037

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 2 by robotaholic

at least it wasn't ben stein

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:54:00 UTC | #156042

Geoff's Avatar Comment 3 by Geoff

Lying down for jesus?

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:02:00 UTC | #156045

TheHardProblem's Avatar Comment 4 by TheHardProblem

I fail to see the importance of this news. We all know that christians are as moral or immoral as all the rest of us.
No matter how much we want to, he is not the face of Christian hypocrisy.
This is just one guy commiting a crime.

Or was it because of his Christian faith that he acted in this way?

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:24:00 UTC | #156051

Goodwithwood's Avatar Comment 5 by Goodwithwood

Well, that's how Forrest Gump's mama got him into school. "Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah"

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:32:00 UTC | #156052

Grantaire of JC's Avatar Comment 6 by Grantaire of JC

Well he was a "lay" faculty member of the school

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:43:00 UTC | #156061

black wolf's Avatar Comment 7 by black wolf

What I'm wondering is not about why someone would make an indecent offer like this. What I'm wondering about is why are religious schools allowed to hand out diplomas without proper tests. A school diploma is supposedly an achievement certificate for the purpose of reflecting a specific standard. When schools can arbitrarily choose to ignore those standards under the guise of religion, the certificate loses all credibility. If that's okay in the US education system (is it?), why not just skip the school part and put youth right into college for a few hundred bucks?

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:48:00 UTC | #156063

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 8 by SilentMike

That's just lovely.

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:51:00 UTC | #156064

cam9976's Avatar Comment 9 by cam9976

Well, I think we should look at the bright side: at least it wasn't an alterboy.

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:56:00 UTC | #156066

k1mgy's Avatar Comment 10 by k1mgy

This rather blows (pun) the idea that these people need a "baable" for their morality: $300 for one fling sounds about right. But multiple encounters? That's stealing, and I think it's one of the big no-no's.

Well, now that Parkway "Christian" School will soon change ownership, the best this woman can do for society is to shut it down.

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 16:41:00 UTC | #156098

agg's Avatar Comment 11 by agg

TheHardProblem and black wolf: My sentiment, exactly!

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 16:59:00 UTC | #156107

EvidenceOnly's Avatar Comment 12 by EvidenceOnly

Steven Weinberg said: "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion."

We often see people lead a parallel evil life and this is at its worse when people do it from a religious position of authority (as is the case with this founder of a christian school).

Here is the recipe:

1. Claim fundamental unshaken belief in something for which absolutely no evidence exists (religion)
2. Proclaim that this gives you the right to define morality for all of us
3. Get involved with young children (schools and churches) to indoctrinate them with your worldview before they develop critical thinking
4. Use your position in or association with religion as a facade to abuse children (the Catholic Church) and their parents (as is the case here)
5. When caught, deny and cover up as long as you can
6. When your evil act is undeniable, say you're sorry many many times (as the Pope did this week).

With some luck, especially if these evil acts have gone on for a long time on a massive scale, you may get welcomed with open arms by an equally pious but corrupt world leader (as happened this week).

Yes believers and non-believers do bad things but we should not be surprised that the faithful seem over-represented in the prison system while the leaders of the faithful who are very good at covering up never get caught and keep getting praised.

That is one of the many reasons why religion poisons everything.

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:05:00 UTC | #156110

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 13 by Enlightenme..

"Or was it because of his Christian faith that he acted in this way?"

Hur, hur, Good point.

I really feel uneasy to see our side ever descend to the 'Torquemada was a Christian' argument, It never holds water anyway, because the simplest retort is God made us and Eve broke us.

Hitch's Achilles heel.

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:02:00 UTC | #156123

Wosret's Avatar Comment 14 by Wosret

I think that the deeply religious are often evil and sick people. That feel that they need forgiveness for their sins, and lack the courage and integrity to seek forgiveness from the people they've wronged, and reframe from doing such things again.

Instead they opt, not only for the forgiveness from an imaginary friend, but for the permission to keep doing it. Because we are lowly evil humans, and it's all Satan's fault. Luckily anything you do is forgiven as long as you ask your imaginary friend.

Martin Luther once said in so many words "Jesus died for our sins, it would be both a shame, and a slap in the face if you don't make his sacrifice worth it. Otherwise he died for nothing, so sin, sin, sin."

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:37:00 UTC | #156130

whatyouthink's Avatar Comment 15 by whatyouthink

LOL he was just SEXposed!!!

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:26:00 UTC | #156136

TheGreatBZ's Avatar Comment 16 by TheGreatBZ

I agree with TheHardProblem. (Post #4)

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:49:00 UTC | #156139

skyhook0's Avatar Comment 17 by skyhook0

I also don't see what the point of this is. It's one random guy committing a crime. I'm a fan of Richard Dawkins because of a commitment to reason. Picking out this one guy and pretending it somehow proves anything is quite /un/reasonable.

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:55:00 UTC | #156140

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 18 by aquilacane

I didn't see any evidence that it was actually him saying those things or him sitting in that truck. I don't even know if those things were said in that truck. I don't know if mother actually spoke at all, or if the female voice was actually hers. I have no idea who mother is, and no face to check against. I see no evidence of a daughter. I reserve judgment for further information.

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:02:00 UTC | #156141

black wolf's Avatar Comment 19 by black wolf

More is IN:

"Before our parking lot confrontation with Mr. Jordan, the school's website called him its spiritual backbone. Now Jordan's face and picture are gone A statement posted says Jordan "...is no longer affiliated in any way with Parkway Christian School." It says the school has forgiven him for his wrong action. But there is no direct apology to Tamiku Robertson, no promise of an investigation."

" State law is explicit that if a secondary student can't pass the state assessment test, they can't graduate from a public school.

So just before the end of their senior year, those kids transferred to Lavern Jordan's private school, Parkway Christian school, where with $250 they could get a diploma. "

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:46:00 UTC | #156146

Saerain's Avatar Comment 20 by Saerain

Someone, please give Texas its verbs back.

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:36:00 UTC | #156152

doglived's Avatar Comment 21 by doglived

#22 "Someone, please give Texas its verbs back." Thanks for the laugh! :)

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:02:00 UTC | #156154

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 22 by irate_atheist

You're fucking nicked, me old beauty!

Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:54:00 UTC | #156155

Timmeh!'s Avatar Comment 23 by Timmeh!

While it seems quite clear that he's committed a crime, and he really was offering money for sex, something doesn't quite seem to add up. How and why was the original conversation recorded? We are told that she had this conversation, then contacted the news team and they wired her, but where did the original recording come from?
I'm wondering if someone else had reported this sort of thing going on and this woman was a plant sent in already wired to expose the hypocritical old bastard.

Oh and I disagree with those who are saying this story is not relevant. Granted, on it's own it proves nothing except that some people are sleezy scumbags, but it's one more point in the "christians are no more moral than atheists" argument that we have to get into so many times. Personally I suspect it's the repression caused by the puritanical regimes that causes people to seek relief in these ways. They are denied, or deny themselves, perfectly acceptable sexual practices, and so are forced to underhandedly seek relief in other ways secretively. I think it's the same thing that drives so many supposedly celibate catholic ministers to prey (or pray ;)) on the young and vulnerable.

Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:55:00 UTC | #156166

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 24 by Steve Zara

I am afraid, like others, I can't see the point of this story. It does not show that Christians in general are immoral. To draw any such conclusions from a story like this would be inappropriate.

Sun, 20 Apr 2008 01:29:00 UTC | #156171

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 25 by phil rimmer

Why is this here? I don't think it reflects well on this site. I would vote for its removal if I could.

Sun, 20 Apr 2008 01:52:00 UTC | #156178

Geoff's Avatar Comment 26 by Geoff

Steve, as black wolf says, the main point, as I see it, is the [lack of] educational standards of the school.
The hypocrisy of "biblical morality" is incidental.

Still, as with the Ted Haggard case, it's "another brick in the wall".

Sun, 20 Apr 2008 01:55:00 UTC | #156179

jaytee_555's Avatar Comment 27 by jaytee_555

I'm another person who agrees with comment 4 by "The Hard Problem" and I also fail to see why this news item was posted here.

This man's behaviour was clearly wrong; but it was no more a consequence of his being a Christian than Stalin's behaviour was due to his being an atheist. Posters who gleefully jump on this sort of thing as if it were some kind of argument against Christianity are commiting exactly the same error as those Christians who make the "Stalin was an atheist" claim.

By all means, let us criticise Christianity, but let's be fair and logical about it.

Sun, 20 Apr 2008 02:04:00 UTC | #156183

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 28 by phil rimmer

But the evidence on display here is paltry. There may well be a problem but THAT story just hasn't been got yet. As an editor I'd say go back and keep digging.

Sun, 20 Apr 2008 02:08:00 UTC | #156185

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 29 by Enlightenme..

"Why is this here? I don't think it reflects well on this site. I would vote for its removal if I could"

I disagree, whilst I agree with Hard problem [#4], the last point that Timmeh![#25] makes is what this illustrates.
Religion poisons everything. People get power from it which they can so easily abuse.

Sun, 20 Apr 2008 02:11:00 UTC | #156186

rodviking's Avatar Comment 30 by rodviking

I second those who question why this news story should be here; linking the acts of the guy with religion is falling into the exact same fallacy that religious people do when they associate atheism with the acts of one or another bad person that happens to be an atheist. This site should be above this kind of silly finger pointing.

Sun, 20 Apr 2008 02:17:00 UTC | #156190