← Yoko Ono sues over use of John Lennon videos

Yoko Ono sues over use of John Lennon videos - Comments

liddlefeesh's Avatar Comment 1 by liddlefeesh

Rocky Moutain Pictures are on a very rocky road with not obtaining permission for use of Yoko Ono's IPR.

Wasn't even Michael Shermer refused permission to quote from the song even for a book aligned with John Lennon's ethos?

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 05:48:00 UTC | #160063

j.mills's Avatar Comment 2 by j.mills

I wouldn't want to see Expelled stopped if they are within their rights; but if, as I hope and suspect, they're in breach of the law, then f*ck 'em! :)

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 06:21:00 UTC | #160125

aflacgirl84's Avatar Comment 3 by aflacgirl84

good for her!

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 06:28:00 UTC | #160136

mixmastergaz's Avatar Comment 4 by mixmastergaz

I'm glad Yoko Ono is suing these liars for Yahweh.

Additionally, I can't help thinking that the stuff about John Lennon wondering if he should spike Nixon's tea is reported inaccurately here. I can imagine Lennon saying this as a joke, but I can't bring myself to believe he really intended to do it, whether or not he was smoking cannabis.
This reminds me of Hitchens' comment that the "literal mind cannot comprehend the ironic mind."

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 06:37:00 UTC | #160146

Count von Count's Avatar Comment 5 by Count von Count

Who ever thought I would be rooting for Yoko?

(I do however think it is a little ironic that a song that asks us to "Imagine no possessions" is being sued over. Maybe it's ok if it's against someone working against a "brotherhood of man" like Ben Stein.)

Go Yoko!

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:45:00 UTC | #160240

moderndaythomas's Avatar Comment 6 by moderndaythomas

I gather that the righteous are confident in their immunity to infringe or impose for the greater good of thier ideals.
In this case, Lennon's Imagine.

I'm reminded of Cuozzo's cave art debacle in France, and when he recklessly trespassed on private property to reveal to the world the Neanderthal sculpture of a mammal in combat with a dinosaur.

This required some immagination in fact as it was a natural formation, if I'm not correct.

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:46:00 UTC | #160241

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 7 by Geodesic17

The people behind this film are doing a great job of pissing everyone off (except for the Evangelical Christian Nationalists that they are targeting).

"Imagine there's no heaven."

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:50:00 UTC | #160247

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 8 by Frankus1122

mixmastergaz

I have a PM for you.

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:13:00 UTC | #160267

Lionel A's Avatar Comment 9 by Lionel A

Premise Media and Rocky Mountain Pictures said in a statement that they only used "a very small portion of the song."

ROTFL. You just cannot make this stuff up can you.

Will that match "the very small portion of truth in Expelled".

It does not matter one jot how much of a clip, picture, song or quote you use if it breaks 'fair use' rules.

Take em' to the cleaners - after all the umbrella organizations pushing Expelled have deep pockets.

BTW Dont forget to visit:

and link to the poll at:

Sorry but cannot get links to work right now - cut and paste or go straight to Pharyngula from your Bookmarks/Favorites and see article

Crash this poll

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:30:00 UTC | #160286

PJG's Avatar Comment 10 by PJG

Ah well, I'm sure this is all planned for under the "publicity to be gained from being shown to be crooks" part of the budget for the film.

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:20:00 UTC | #160417

WilliamP's Avatar Comment 11 by WilliamP

Actually, Dawkins, Myers, Shermer, and others who appear in "Expelled" might be able to sue the film's makers if they want. As far as I've heard, these guys and others had contracts to appear in the movie, and it seems that the only reason they agreed to do the film was because of the lies that the producers told them about the movie's purpose. That could be the basis for a case of misrepresentation under either contract or tort law in the US. Of course, it depends on the circumstances, contract language, etc.

I'm sure they don't want to give the film anymore publicity than it has now. Although, if they wait until the movie is out of the spotlight, it might be worth it if they can make a case.

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:29:00 UTC | #160488

ebugogo's Avatar Comment 12 by ebugogo

You go girl!

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:30:00 UTC | #160491

jusdefacts's Avatar Comment 13 by jusdefacts

Hi, I followed Lionel's link to the scumsuckers myspace. It's like a black hole of wilful ignorance.

However, the poll is overwhelmingly against them. 9000 plus as against only 600 or so. Seems like the saddoes who are "friends" can't use myspace polls.

The crawthumping triumphalism in the comments is hurl-inducing, however.

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:03:00 UTC | #160524

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 14 by robotaholic

imagine all the money</>

muahaha

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:13:00 UTC | #160617

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 15 by Border Collie

I'm gonna go walk the dogs ...

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:40:00 UTC | #160819

Grantaire of JC's Avatar Comment 16 by Grantaire of JC

Well Yoko hasn't made the news in a while, so at least its for something important to us and her. Any one against Expelled is a friend of mine. This has the Godfather feel to it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:44:00 UTC | #160823

Bigorra's Avatar Comment 17 by Bigorra

Thank you, Yoko. John would be pleased. As much as he hated Nixon, to have his music used in support of Nixon's deluded ex-speechwriter would likely make him sick to his stomach. If we could only hear what John would have to say about all this mess...

"Sorry Ben, but Instant Karma's gonna get you."

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:57:00 UTC | #160837

darlets's Avatar Comment 18 by darlets

the poll is currently

~680 Yes
~38000 No

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:19:00 UTC | #160858

MorituriMax's Avatar Comment 19 by MorituriMax

I want Richard to do a new Imagine Shirt..

Imagine

[insert picture of Ben Stein in the corner with a dunce hat on and a sign around his neck: id10t]

A World Without Religion

Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:28:00 UTC | #160864

Partisan's Avatar Comment 20 by Partisan

*Titter*

Honestly, I always thought the IDiots were masters of spin, propoganda and surfing the judiciary; I can't believe they'd make such obvious mistakes.

Sat, 26 Apr 2008 02:38:00 UTC | #160966

Lionel A's Avatar Comment 21 by Lionel A

How much longer before they pull that poll over at:

Yes 802 0.34%

No (to ID in classroom) 235302 98.68%

Sat, 26 Apr 2008 06:15:00 UTC | #161027

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 22 by Lisa Bauer

"I'm sick to death of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now."
--John Lennon, "Gimme Some Truth"

A more perfect description of the Expelled people could hardly be written...well, unless several intensifying profanities were inserted. ;)

Sat, 26 Apr 2008 06:33:00 UTC | #161035

ericcolumba's Avatar Comment 23 by ericcolumba

Grantaire of JC

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

This is the kind of flawed logic that has seen many left wing people in Europe make alliances with rightwing Islamic Fascists.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Sat, 26 Apr 2008 06:55:00 UTC | #161046

Shuggy's Avatar Comment 24 by Shuggy

Comment #168680 by Lionel A on April 25, 2008

and link to the poll at:

It's currently running at

Yes [ID should be taught in schools]
854 votes (0.21%)
409659 votes (98.49%)
Not sure
175 votes (0.04%)
What is it?
5300 votes (1.27%)

You couldn't make that up, it's like a Zimbabwean election. My guess is some evil Darwinist has hacked the voting. Or else the whole page is a hoax.

Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:27:00 UTC | #161383

gcujimmy's Avatar Comment 25 by gcujimmy

As a Beatles fan in my youth and half blaming Yoko for the break up of the Beatles it feels wierd to be cheering her on.
Go get em Yoko

Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:43:00 UTC | #161386

Lionel A's Avatar Comment 26 by Lionel A

Shuggy:

I wonder when they will suddenly add a few thousand to the Yes vote and then stop the voting so that it looks like the Yes votes have it?

Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:06:00 UTC | #161486

Geoff's Avatar Comment 27 by Geoff

Someone from pharyngula made up a script for automated repeat voting!

Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:21:00 UTC | #161488

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 28 by Agrajag

29. Comment #169959 by Geoff on April 27, 2008 at 6:21 am
Someone from pharyngula made up a script for automated repeat voting!

Hey, that's a Chicago thing!
("Vote early, vote often")
Ste5e

Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:23:00 UTC | #161489

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 29 by Steve Zara

Comment #169959 by Geoff

That is pretty bad (I think). On the other hand, if someone can't be bothered to defend against such tactics.....

Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:26:00 UTC | #161490

Geoff's Avatar Comment 30 by Geoff

Maybe they're just praying for more "yes" votes, instead of doing something constructive about it?

Incidentally, there was a tactical switch to "what is it?" votes part way through, just to get that above the "yes".

Scroll down to around comment #400 to read the ongoing story...

Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:25:00 UTC | #161499