← Orangutan attempts to hunt fish with spear

Orangutan attempts to hunt fish with spear - Comments

pulsar1z's Avatar Comment 1 by pulsar1z

And Evolution goes on and on. I love that picture.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:08:00 UTC | #162426

evolver23's Avatar Comment 2 by evolver23

That's a beautiful picture. At least for me, it strikes at the heart of what it means to be human, and forces me to realize once again that our empathies should extend far beyond those solely in the human race.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:12:00 UTC | #162430

Count von Count's Avatar Comment 3 by Count von Count

Beautiful!

Perhaps this picture will help people to see why it is important to preserve these already endangered creatures.

Does anyone know where to get a higher resolution copy?

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:14:00 UTC | #162434

Bruno's Avatar Comment 4 by Bruno

There is an excellent TV show on Animal Planet, a cable channel in the states, where I believe this photo was taken from. While the show is targeted at kids, it contains a lot of amazing footage of these primates doing some pretty amazing things (and I don't mean circus tricks) just being observed living in the wild.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:20:00 UTC | #162438

Prankster's Avatar Comment 5 by Prankster

Superb

Evolution and development of some spieces just amazes me sometimes.......

Wonderful image, made my day that-thanks for the article

Best

Prankster

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:22:00 UTC | #162439

moderndaythomas's Avatar Comment 6 by moderndaythomas

What a photo indeed.
How you can look at this and claim no more a relation than the fish he's catching I have no idea.
I see a family resemblance.
In fact I was holding that same pose just the other day.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:23:00 UTC | #162440

jdb's Avatar Comment 7 by jdb

I love pictures like this. It reminds us how close we are.
My wife and I were watching Nature the other night on PBS and they showed a mother gorilla nursing her baby. We were amazed at how much that image reminded us of just a couple of years ago when our daughter was nursing: the way that the mother holds her child, the way the child looks up with her eyes wide open staring at mommy, the way baby folds her arms and fiddles with her fingers.
I can't understand how some people, even if they don't understand the science, can refuse the fact that there is an obvious connection.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:25:00 UTC | #162444

gd_edi's Avatar Comment 8 by gd_edi

I agree with everyone. Stunning photo!

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:34:00 UTC | #162449

Edamus's Avatar Comment 9 by Edamus

Excellent!

That's quite a hard task, I couldn't imagine myself performing it... I wish 'em luck on that!

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:36:00 UTC | #162450

the way's Avatar Comment 10 by the way

Nice pic, but I am a bit (very!) skeptical about its veracity. It looks very contrived/set up to me, and I thought that Orangutans ate fruit and bugs in the main, so why would one decide to go for such a slippery catch (High effort/low payoff) for protein when mice and voles would suffice? I don't know, it's in the Mail, so it must be true! Holiday snap of the editor maybe?

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:37:00 UTC | #162454

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 11 by Bonzai

Nice pic

So he is really stealing rather than "fishing". Naughty monkey.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:44:00 UTC | #162458

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 12 by Colwyn Abernathy

Forgive me for this, but I can't resist this gag...

"OOO-BEE-DO! I wanna be like you-hoo-hoo! I wanna walk like you, talk like you, too-hoo-hoo. You see it's true-hoo-hoo, an ape like me-hee-hee can learn to be, hu-human, too!

From The Jungle Book, sorry! :)

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:45:00 UTC | #162460

poictesme's Avatar Comment 13 by poictesme

Mighty straight for a pole found in the jungle.
I think the hairy fellow must just have dropped a can of beer in the river to keep it cool, and that picture portraits her shooing away a Coors Bass that was getting too close to her priced possession.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:49:00 UTC | #162463

Wosret's Avatar Comment 14 by Wosret

10. Comment #171017 by Verylee

so why would one decide to go for such a slippery catch (High effort/low payoff)for protein when mice and voles would suffice?

Dunno. Maybe you should track him down and explain to him the illogic of his endevour. I'm sure he will be quite embarrassed when he finds out that he could have gotten equal protein with less effort.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:50:00 UTC | #162464

Bruno's Avatar Comment 15 by Bruno

Response to VeryLee and Mitchell:
In an episode I mentioned above from the tv show "Orangutan Island" on Animal Planet there was a scene of an Orangutan sort of corralling a fish near the river bank and actually catching it with his hands. The scene continued with the primate holding the fish along its spine and then chomping down into the fish's soft underbelly. While I watched this, I too thought Orangutans subsisted mostly on fruits and vegetables (which the show portrays). But there this Orangutan was, enjoying a little sushi. If you can see the show, I highly recommend it. The new season starts in September.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:59:00 UTC | #162470

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 16 by phil rimmer

Another Pic for the family album.

Doesn't it make you proud!

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:03:00 UTC | #162473

hoops mccann's Avatar Comment 17 by hoops mccann

"This individual had seen locals fishing with spears on the Gohong River.

Although the method required too much skill for him to master, he was later able to improvise by using the pole to catch fish already trapped in the locals' fishing lines. "

I hope that he never sees anyone using dynamite!

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:05:00 UTC | #162474

pulsar1z's Avatar Comment 18 by pulsar1z

The Orangutan obviously confiscated the pole and by watching fishermen close by was inquisitive enough to give a go with his skills. I don't think the photo was staged.

I can't help think that if this species could survive for another 100,000 years or so, (which is doubtful) they would be capable of space travel.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:06:00 UTC | #162475

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 19 by huzonfurst

I hope he never sees anyone reading a Bible or Koran!

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:09:00 UTC | #162476

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 20 by phil rimmer

Yeah, but at this rate they'll be riding horses and shooting rifles soon. Best not let them watch any old Charlton Heston movies. (That man was a bad influence.)

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:10:00 UTC | #162478

akado's Avatar Comment 21 by akado

that is so awesome! XD

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:11:00 UTC | #162479

alexmzk's Avatar Comment 22 by alexmzk

hm, daily mail, hmmmm.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:14:00 UTC | #162481

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 23 by DamnDirtyApe

Let's not get carried away folks... This is the daily mail after all, plus that pole is clearly not natural. It must have been trained by a human or is at least immitating one.

Side note: much dumber animals (crows) are excellent tool users, and very good at making and using spears for 'fishing' grubs.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:17:00 UTC | #162484

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 24 by DamnDirtyApe

Doctor zeius Doctor zeius
Doctor zeius Doctor zeius
Doctor zeius Doctor zeius -ooh - Doctor zeius

What's wrong with me? I think you're crazy.
Want a second opinion! You're also lazy.

Doctor zeius...

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:19:00 UTC | #162485

cam9976's Avatar Comment 25 by cam9976

Isn't is obvious that god made that Orangutan mimic human behavior to test our faith in Jesus?

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:35:00 UTC | #162498

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 26 by HourglassMemory

Another trap by Satan!

Now, seriously, that is quite a picture!
It's quite extrodinairy seeing an organutan doing that.
It's eerie but fascinating at the same time.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:40:00 UTC | #162501

Wosret's Avatar Comment 27 by Wosret

15. Comment #171036 by Bruno

I was being facetious.

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:41:00 UTC | #162504

Wosret's Avatar Comment 28 by Wosret

Doctor zeius Doctor zeius
Doctor zeius Doctor zeius
Doctor zeius Doctor zeius -ooh - Doctor zeius

What's wrong with me? I think you're crazy.
Want a second opinion! You're also lazy.

Doctor zeius...

"Can I play the piano anymore?"

"Of course you can!"

"Well I couldn't before."

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:42:00 UTC | #162506

Prankster's Avatar Comment 29 by Prankster

Hmm Daily Mail?

A-ha!

Obviously it's a picture of a foul asylum seeking, benefit sponging illegal immigrant fishing our rivers dry before he's caught and deported.....

I'm kidding......

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:48:00 UTC | #162510

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 30 by Apathy personified

As this was the Daily Mail, no doubt the headline was, 'Ape with Spear, fear it, fear it, fear it.'

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:57:00 UTC | #162519