← Pat Condell: Anthology DVD available now!

Pat Condell: Anthology DVD available now! - Comments

Devolution's Avatar Comment 2 by Devolution

The perfect gift just in time for Summer Solstice!

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:29:00 UTC | #163791

scienceforsustenance's Avatar Comment 1 by scienceforsustenance

OMFSM! Pat Condell? On DVD? Best thing I've heard all year!

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:29:00 UTC | #163790

General Friit's Avatar Comment 3 by General Friit

I stumbled across Pat's vid's on Youtube and now have him favourited on my Youtube account. Well worth a look.

General Fritt.

Is favourited a word?

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:31:00 UTC | #163792

McLir's Avatar Comment 4 by McLir

If George Carlin and James Burke intelligently designed a baby...

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:38:00 UTC | #163797

GeneticNemesis's Avatar Comment 5 by GeneticNemesis

Pat Condell is brilliant, but I am reluctant to buy an NTSC DVD which will likely be shipped from the US and therefore give the Post Office an excuse to charge me import duty (I learned that lesson the hard way when I ordered RD T-shirts and bumper stickers).

Any chance of PAL shipped from Europe?

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:10:00 UTC | #163816

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 6 by Steve Zara

Comment #172475 by McLir

Codell is no Carlin. Not by a long way. I realise this is only a matter of taste, but I find his rants simplistic, and I have problem deciding what the purpose is and what the tone is supposed to be. Is it self-prompotion? Is it supposed to be funny?

I far, far prefer Carlin, or Lewis Black. I also really enjoyed and admired the Marcus Brigstocke rant posted on this site.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:15:00 UTC | #163819

cam9976's Avatar Comment 8 by cam9976

Carlin and Lewis Black are good, but Condell is a bit more intellectual about denouncing religion [as he is not doing stand-up].

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:18:00 UTC | #163822

MPhil's Avatar Comment 7 by MPhil

I don't like Condell or Carlin (yes, I know - blasphemy... don't care, I find him boring, except for his piece on the "big man in the sky")...

Black on the other hand - very good.
The Brigstocke rant was also quite good, yes.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:18:00 UTC | #163821

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 9 by Steve Zara

Condell is a bit more intellectual about denouncing

Condell intellectual?

Sorry, can't see it myself.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:21:00 UTC | #163826

MPhil's Avatar Comment 10 by MPhil

Condell intellectual? O tempora o mores.

The only "comedy" I would really call intellectual is what we call "politisches Kabarett" in Germany. Volker Pispers, Georg Schramm, Hagen Rether...

It's not his best piece (I disagree with a small portion of it), but here is a five-part piece of Pispers on Youtube, with English subs (quite good, but not perfect translation):

(Part I)

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:24:00 UTC | #163827

akado's Avatar Comment 11 by akado

YES! XD
I love pat condell's vid! ^-^

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:31:00 UTC | #163829

Thurston's Avatar Comment 12 by Thurston

I never imagined I'd agree with Dinesh D'Souza, but I always get the impression that Condell's pretty pleased with himself.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:42:00 UTC | #163832

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 13 by Frankus1122

Did you know that if you rearrange the letters in Pat Condell you get the word BOOORING!

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:49:00 UTC | #163833

Mango's Avatar Comment 14 by Mango

He's a guy with a webcam -- why bother comparing him with Carlin? He's on YouTube, not his own HBO specials. Cut him a break.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:53:00 UTC | #163836

Rational_G's Avatar Comment 15 by Rational_G

Condell's funny - and he makes some good points. I like his rants.

Carlin is a comic genius, up there with Richard Pryor.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:59:00 UTC | #163840

JackR's Avatar Comment 16 by JackR

Condell's great; not because he's especially funny (although he is at times) but because he's uncompromising and accurate. And he's not in the least afraid to go after Islam hard - something we often get accused of being scared to do.

Those of you comparing him negatively with Lewis Black and George Carlin are being unfair. He's just an ex stand-up who was never big outside the London pub circuit (and not even that big on it)and who now makes entertaining, cutting anti-religious rants on YouTube. Comparing him with long-established, famous comics is as unfair as comparing OK Go with Radiohead. Cut the guy a break; he's a gem and an asset to our side.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:00:00 UTC | #163842

Wosret's Avatar Comment 17 by Wosret

I like Condell enough to watch his videos, though I can't say I anticipate them or anything. I've considered ranting about stuff, but I don't know enough about anything to do that, I'd end up looking like an idiot to anyone who knew more about the subject than I do.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:22:00 UTC | #163852

Count von Count's Avatar Comment 18 by Count von Count

Whether you enjoy Pat Condell or not (I do), if you're an atheist with a bit of a sense of humor, it is hard to watch his videos without a few knee-slaps, fist-pumps, and "Yes!"'s. Is this the DVD to convert your fundie friends? Perhaps not. Instead, this is the DVD to bring out when it is just you and your hard-core atheist friends, especially if they need any cheering up or cheering on.

Pat, you've made my day many a time. To chime in with PZ Meyers, preach on brother!

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:00:00 UTC | #163864

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 19 by Enlightenme..

Nah, I much prefer to see a Rev Wright sketch.

"If ya got some white.. friends, they'll be clappin' like this.. ya'all."

It's got a bit more 'edge' to it.

He speaks as a pastor, he says.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:05:00 UTC | #163867

ghuckin's Avatar Comment 20 by ghuckin

A proud subscriber to Pat's YouTube channel since almost the beginning. Living in Canada, where speaking from the heart is seen as some sort of hate crime, his candour adds a real charge to my day.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:47:00 UTC | #163890

flibble's Avatar Comment 21 by flibble

I'm tempted, but why does the website of a British scientist have to offer a DVD of a British comedian on bloody NTSC ?

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:13:00 UTC | #163959

kNOw Religion's Avatar Comment 22 by kNOw Religion

Wow, Pat Condell is moving off the web and into the living room, or where ever your tv is.

Is the video quality going to be any better than YouTube? Granted it was shot from a webcam but still.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:56:00 UTC | #163977

olegus's Avatar Comment 23 by olegus

I think that level of intelectuality issue is pointless here, go listen to Sam Haris or whoever :)

What I like about Pat is that his humor is indirect and subtle, and it is more like satiric response than stand-up, especially to christians - witty, witty "...It's nice to know that I'm in your prayers".

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:00:00 UTC | #163986

riki's Avatar Comment 24 by riki

Pat's always good for a laugh. Though the UK seems to be messed up with funding cuts to science, the prospect of ID cards, biometrics face scans, lap-dog status to the US, the proliferation of surveillance cameras and now being colonised by third world countries. He has plenty of material to work with.

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:25:00 UTC | #163990

gcdavis's Avatar Comment 25 by gcdavis

Recognition at last for a brilliant polemicist and entertainer; many off us have suggested a prominent link on this site to Pat's videos, however RDFRS must have been working behind the scenes to produce this, well done to Pat and RDFRS.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:02:00 UTC | #163996

Benjamin P.'s Avatar Comment 26 by Benjamin P.

MPhil: Err... Pardon. Rether intellectual? For him every criticism of Islam seems to be a form of racism or intolerance.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:16:00 UTC | #164001

vesihiisi's Avatar Comment 27 by vesihiisi

Pat for the win!

And islam is not a race, like christianity, communism, nazism and atheism are not races.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:36:00 UTC | #164003

davorg's Avatar Comment 28 by davorg

I'd love to buy this, but I'd much prefer it if it was available in PAL and I could pay in sterling.

The RDF operates in the UK as well doesn't it? Why does the shop side seem to be exclusively aimed at the US?

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:38:00 UTC | #164004

MPhil's Avatar Comment 29 by MPhil

Benjamin,

Yes, I know... and I disagree with him strongly on this issue. That made me think less of him. But that doesn't detract from the fact that his style, his angle of approach and the points he makes (whether correct or not) are rather intellectual. His subtlety, his metaphors and allegories are at times absolutely brilliant, almost poetic... reminding me of Heinrich Heine.

I think "Vorzeigelinker" is in its subtle irony almost comparable to "Deutschland. Ein Wintermärchen"... take the last line: "Beim rechtsabbiegen setz ich keinen Blinker" - absolutely brilliant.

Or take his Nazi-like armlet, only with the Arbeitsamt-symbol instead of the swastika.

Subtle and intellectual, yes... always right? No. Very wrong in his defense of Islam. But that is no contradiction.

My goodness - Craig, Plantinga and Swinburne are also extremely intelligent, and very respected intellectuals. I think they're completely wrong, but that has no bearing on the issue.

And besides, most criticism of Islam is a form of intolerance - justified intolerance of the dangerous and actually harmful.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:46:00 UTC | #164007

decius's Avatar Comment 30 by decius

@Steve Zara

I am with Jack Rawlinson on this, but I think I can understand what unsettles you about Pat Condell, correct me if I am wrong. You probably lean toward the left of the political spectrum -so do I- and your ideals of equality, tolerance and multiculturalism are challenged by some of Condell's rants on Islam, which, admittedly, sound creepily similar to certain right-wing rhetoric. Fortunately, this similarity is demonstrably superficial, as Condell doesn't originate his thoughts from a supremacist perspective. This is abundantly clear from his equally scorching attacks on his other targets, which are much closer home.

It is true that Condell has no second thoughts while he proceeds slaughtering the sacred cow of Political Correctness, removing its baroque contrivances from his verbiage. But since when directness and clarity are no longer virtues, and by whose decision?

Finally, multiculturalism is a great idea, but it cannot be left unbridled to the point of becoming a blank check issued to minority groups, allowing for primitive practices motivated only by preposterous metaphysics, thus undermining the far higher principle which states the equality of all citizens in front of the law.

(I shall leave it here and get ready for a major party, even though I had a few more points to make. See you all on Friday.)

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:59:00 UTC | #164010