← A New Jack Chick Tract: Moving On Up!

A New Jack Chick Tract: Moving On Up! - Comments

Ilovelucy's Avatar Comment 1 by Ilovelucy

Love it! In the same way that every Godzilla film needs Tokyo to be destroyed, every Chick tract needs someone to be cast into the lake of fire to keep the punters happy.

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:42:00 UTC | #165822

fides_et_ratio's Avatar Comment 2 by fides_et_ratio

Obvious nonsense. Any chance of posting a sensible commentary on the interaction of Christianity and science Josh?

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:46:00 UTC | #165825

epeeist's Avatar Comment 3 by epeeist

Great title for a book in the fourth comment "Superstition for Dummies".

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:47:00 UTC | #165826

pulsar1z's Avatar Comment 4 by pulsar1z

The people who wrote and published the comic haven't evolved enough yet!

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:48:00 UTC | #165828

Barry Pearson's Avatar Comment 5 by Barry Pearson

Ilovelucy: In the same way that every Godzilla film needs Tokyo to be destroyed, every Chick tract needs someone to be cast into the lake of fire to keep the punters happy.

Ha! Here is a MUCH better godzilla film. (And it stars Richard Dawkins!)

"Answers In Genesis: What about Godzilla?"

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:58:00 UTC | #165831

Forti's Avatar Comment 6 by Forti

What a waste of ink...

Sat, 03 May 2008 11:00:00 UTC | #165832

moderndaythomas's Avatar Comment 7 by moderndaythomas

Christians are theives!
They're robbing their children blind.

Sat, 03 May 2008 11:16:00 UTC | #165837

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 8 by Border Collie

Gee, double-whiz, thanks a lot for introducing me to this. Where are the men in black with those little flash thingys?

Sat, 03 May 2008 11:30:00 UTC | #165845

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 9 by Border Collie

Sat, 03 May 2008 11:34:00 UTC | #165850

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 10 by Lisa Bauer

"Well we're movin'on up, to the east side, to a dee-luxe apartment in the sky..." (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Seriously, if "evolution does away with morals," so that "anything goes" and you can "lie" and "cheat"...

...what excuse do the oh-so-holy Chickies have for lying so brazenly about, well, everything--evolution, Catholicism, any religion other than the most warped, fundie Christianity, etc.?

Sat, 03 May 2008 11:52:00 UTC | #165859

Forti's Avatar Comment 11 by Forti

Umm. Guys?

I just read a couple more comic strips from that site and I'm not sure if I'm going to laugh or barf.

If this isn't a joke, and there are really people in the US who think like that... leave the fucking country. Please. You'll get free healthcare in the EU, and we have cookies.

Sat, 03 May 2008 12:22:00 UTC | #165863

JackR's Avatar Comment 12 by JackR

Ah, dear crazy old Jack Chick. He's not getting any saner, is he? This one is particularly batshit, even by his standards.

I was 18 when I first saw one of these insane tracts. It was 1977 and I was at Leeds University. There was a knock on my door. Two young men asked if they could come in and talk to me about Jesus. Turned out they were representing something called the "Campus Crusade for Christ". I was about two years into being a militant atheist so I gave them a warm smile, tried not to salivate, and invited them in.

One guy did all the talking; his mate was one of those silent, vacant-eyed drips who might as well have "personality-free cult victim" branded on their foreheads. Anyway, talkie-guy thrust a small leaflet into my hand and asked me to read it. It was this old favourite.

I read it. I was actually shocked. I was an atheist, sure, but in all the arguments I'd had with parents, priests and fellow churchgoers I'd never had to deal with anything this childishly deranged and almost freakishly unintelligent. I'd been all braced for a nice argument about Pascal and Anselm and Augustine... and this perfectly normal-looking, well-spoken guy was expecting me to take this sub-cretinous scribble seriously? I honestly couldn't believe it. Of course, it wasn't until later I discovered this drivel had originated from the lunatic fringe of American Christianity. In those pre-internet days England was largely spared that (barring the odd visit from Billy Graham and his ilk)

Anyway, I handed the tract back to the guy, looked him long in the eye and said "Please tell me this is a joke. Please tell me you don't take that ridiculous litle comic seriously"

He looked offended and assured me he did, and that if I didn't, I was going to hell. I just told him that if heaven meant being in the same place as the kinda of diseased brainstem who could react to Jack Chick with anything but huge derision, hell was just fine by me. And then I told him to get out and stop making such a goddamned fool of himself. As they left I tapped his companion on the shoulder and said, "I know you think this guy's the greatest, but please consider that he might in fact be a screwed-up twat who's feeding you bullshit by the bucketload. Please just consider that next time you think about this stuff on your own."

The other guy overheard, as I'd intended, yelled something like "You won't think you're so smart when you're frying in hell!" I just told him to fuck off and grow up. Sadly, my experiences since then have led me to the conclusion that the sort of person who can ever take a Jack Chick tract seriously isn't ever going to be able to grow up.

Sat, 03 May 2008 13:12:00 UTC | #165874

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 13 by phil rimmer

Jack Rawlinson

Very nicely done!

Evangelicals do tend to fall into one of two types, the abusers and the abused. The opportunities for petty power play AND the irresistible attraction of attention for the socially inadequate is an unbeatable combination.

Sat, 03 May 2008 13:25:00 UTC | #165876

ivellios's Avatar Comment 14 by ivellios

I feel much less intelligent after reading that.

He has not the first clue of what is going on.

Sat, 03 May 2008 13:37:00 UTC | #165877

Pattern Seeker's Avatar Comment 15 by Pattern Seeker

Ha! That shit is hilarious. I've been reading those Jack Chick comics for years. They never fail to entertain. Personally, I can't wait until they come out with a Jack Chick graphic novel or maybe a live-action movie. Hollywood's a-callin'.

Sat, 03 May 2008 14:03:00 UTC | #165884

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 16 by SilentMike

That thing is just dumb beyond words. Who in their right mind would fall for that? Hell! Who in their wrong mind would fall for that? There is no "there" there if you know what I mean.

Seriously. If I were a christian with half a brain (and there are some of those around) I would sue those people for libel and defemation of character. It makes Christianity look even dumber and more insane than it actually is. I would not have thought it possible before I first encountered these thigs. But there you go.

Sat, 03 May 2008 14:43:00 UTC | #165906

~manic-depressive's Avatar Comment 17 by ~manic-depressive

If you wanted to create a satire of this, would it even be possible? It is in and of itself so utterly ridiculous. It pains me to know that there will be bright young people who will be mentally shackled by the fear promoted by this kind of ignorant, immoral nonsense.

Forget not the example of Kurt Wise from TGD who "had to make a decision between evolution and Scripture. Either the Scripture was true and evolution was wrong or evolution was true and I must toss out the Bible . . . It was there that night that I accepted the Word of God and rejected all that would ever counter it, including
evolution. With that, in great sorrow, I tossed into the fire all my dreams and hopes in science.
"

Sat, 03 May 2008 15:08:00 UTC | #165915

Christopher Davis's Avatar Comment 18 by Christopher Davis

This is priceless. I've never heard of Jack Chick before, how long has this guy been around?

For Christmas, we should all chip in and send this guy a fruitcake. On second thought, maybe not...wouldn't want to contribute to cannabilism.

Sat, 03 May 2008 15:11:00 UTC | #165917

Mr. Davies's Avatar Comment 19 by Mr. Davies

That is even better than Big Daddy- the one that Kent Hovind helped with...
thanks for the new Avatar Jack!!!

Sat, 03 May 2008 15:30:00 UTC | #165923

mandrellian's Avatar Comment 20 by mandrellian

BorderCollie: "In a strange sense, these remind me of the Mr. Natural, Flakey Foont, et al, "underground" comics of the late 1960's. I could, however, laugh at those."

I think Bob Crumb (creator of the above characters) would vomit blood after being compared to an artist so egregiously dishonest, only barely competently skillful and so obviously aroused by the thought of his "enemies" burning forever ...

Sat, 03 May 2008 16:05:00 UTC | #165940

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 21 by mordacious1

Oh, I just want to put pixie dust on my middle finger again.

Sat, 03 May 2008 16:14:00 UTC | #165945

Teratornis's Avatar Comment 22 by Teratornis

Comment #174792 by Jack Rawlinson:

I used to hand out Jack Chick tracts when I was a kid. Never say never.

Sat, 03 May 2008 16:30:00 UTC | #165952

fooj's Avatar Comment 23 by fooj

I grew up on Chick tracts. There is lots and lots of fear and intimidation in his publications. Even to this day I have recollections of these childhood feelings. Unfortunately, it took me a long time to get where I am today. Fortunately, I got to where I am today.

Sat, 03 May 2008 16:52:00 UTC | #165961

JackR's Avatar Comment 24 by JackR

Teratornis: I should have excluded kids from that comment! I meant any adult that still takes Chick seriously isn't going to manage the whole growing up deal...

Kids will do all sorts of mad things if their elders tell them to...

Sat, 03 May 2008 17:02:00 UTC | #165963

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 25 by Frankus1122

Comment #174740 by fides_et_ratio

Such simplemindedness seems to be the dominant mode of thought for a very large majority of Christians. It is obvious nonsense. However, it is also rampant and actually believed. Why do the less unintelligent Christians not speak out more loudly against such nonsense and lies?

Sat, 03 May 2008 17:24:00 UTC | #165967

Friggertool's Avatar Comment 26 by Friggertool

Homer simpson and his neighbour...

Sat, 03 May 2008 17:34:00 UTC | #165969

windfall's Avatar Comment 27 by windfall

Ugh, what terrifying drivel. I've seen these things littering the subway station on occasion. And I live in the enlightened Northeast! I've often thought about printing off a rebuttal cartoon lampooning someone who found one of these tracts and took it seriously. Like showing how they ruined part of their life because of it. I nearly blew my college education because of BS peddlers like the campus crusade for christ.

I couldn't read the whole thing; it was causing a physical reaction (stomach turning).

Two things caught my eye though:

1. He felt the need to define the word 'relative' in a footnote. (A comic with footnotes!) Says something about the intended audience.

2. Upon hearing the Adam and Eve story, the boy asks the girl 'Where did you get such a ridiculous story?' She answers, 'From God.' So, if her parents brought her to the church of the FSM and filled her with that, would she respond 'from the FSM'?

Sat, 03 May 2008 17:48:00 UTC | #165975

JackR's Avatar Comment 28 by JackR

windfall: you're not the first to find that idea tempting....

This one is a great piss-take of the one I linked in my earlier post...

Sat, 03 May 2008 18:35:00 UTC | #165986

Lil_Xunzian's Avatar Comment 29 by Lil_Xunzian

I love Chick comics. They're so funny. One of these days I'm gonna bake some magic brownies, invite over some friends, and then we can read chick comics aloud to each other until we've laughed ourselves to death, or at least into comas.

Sat, 03 May 2008 18:55:00 UTC | #165989

windfall's Avatar Comment 30 by windfall

Wow, thanks, Jack. I see what you mean. And that jhuger site was a hoot, especially his FAQ.

I think I still might have a go at my own semi-parody of a tract which tries to counter the awful messages they're sending, but in a serious way (as outlined above).

Sat, 03 May 2008 20:19:00 UTC | #166003