← The History Channel might do something right

The History Channel might do something right - Comments

Nova's Avatar Comment 1 by Nova

This is brilliant because the public desperately need to learn about evolution; in addition it harms religion which is also brilliant.

Tue, 06 May 2008 11:46:00 UTC | #167072

annabanana's Avatar Comment 2 by annabanana

I don't know that I would say that the History Channel is doing something right (although they may be). I was sick a couple of weeks ago and stayed home from work where I was sucked into some show on the History Channel and almost every commercial break there was a commercial for Expelled...which is definitely doing something wrong.

Tue, 06 May 2008 11:57:00 UTC | #167074

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 3 by Tezcatlipoca

So, if this is the same History Channel that is number 63 on my basic cable dial, undoubtably there will be a cgi dogfight somewhere in the Evolve series...

or at least mention of human sacrifice on the part of my devotees...

Tue, 06 May 2008 11:59:00 UTC | #167075

Caldur's Avatar Comment 4 by Caldur

This is me excited!

I'm a bit confused, though. Is this a 13 part series of 2 hour episodes? If there's really 26 hours (minus commercials), that would be absolutely amazing.

Tue, 06 May 2008 12:01:00 UTC | #167076

Chris Jackson's Avatar Comment 5 by Chris Jackson

This is ridiculous, we all know that the eye just formed out of nothing. It's far more likely that cells assembled themselves by chance than by some nonsensical system of "evolution"

/sarcasm

Tue, 06 May 2008 12:04:00 UTC | #167077

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 6 by Geodesic17

Well, if they take the advertising revenue from the Expelled campaign and pump it into quality programming like this, then maybe we can take a utilitarian outlook towards the channel. The same people that saw the Expelled commercials could end up watching this. Maybe they will realize that they were duped by Ben Stein.

Now they just need to clear up the whole Holocaust propoganda.

It will take several documentaries and miniseries to set the poor victims of Expelled straight.

Personally, I'd like to see a Bertrand Russell documentary on the History Channel. More Americans need to know about him.

Edutainment is a problem. Did they even bother consulting an opposing, scholarly view point like Bart Ehrman on these matters?

Tue, 06 May 2008 12:04:00 UTC | #167078

wiz220's Avatar Comment 7 by wiz220

I'm glad to see the History channel doing something useful. Especially after so many rediculous shows like a mini-series on the anti-christ as though it was factual and needed serious investigation and consideration.

Tue, 06 May 2008 12:07:00 UTC | #167080

Devolution's Avatar Comment 9 by Devolution

The most disgraceful show on the History Channel has to be "The Naked Archaeologist". It features a Jewish fellow with a silly yamika running around the Israeli desert trying to find evidence for myths out of the Torah.

The problem is the guy isn't even an archaeologist! LOL

Tue, 06 May 2008 12:46:00 UTC | #167092

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 8 by Don_Quix

My wife and I used to refer to The History Channel as "The Hitler Channel", due to the ridiculous number of WWII and Nazi/Hitler documentaries they used to play all the time. Fortunately they've gotten away from that (mostly) and have started to broaden their programming, although they do tend to frequently over-dramatize and dumb-down things still.

The Universe is about the only History Channel show I watch anymore. Although I'm interested in seeing this Evolve show too.

Tue, 06 May 2008 12:46:00 UTC | #167091

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 10 by Geodesic17

More like, "The Faux Archaeologist".

Tue, 06 May 2008 12:52:00 UTC | #167095

Stephen Maxwell's Avatar Comment 11 by Stephen Maxwell

Don_Quix that avatar is brilliant!!!

Tue, 06 May 2008 13:02:00 UTC | #167099

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 12 by HourglassMemory

Bring it on, then!

When it comes out in dvd, the whole thing, I might buy it. But only if it looks good...and if it comes out in my country...

Tue, 06 May 2008 13:08:00 UTC | #167103

quill's Avatar Comment 13 by quill

They should show intermittent clips from Ben Stein throughout the series just to highlight his ignorance on the subject. "And somehow that MUD..."

Tue, 06 May 2008 13:14:00 UTC | #167109

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 14 by Geodesic17

It is ironic how creationists often mock their own beliefs.

"Lightening striking mud? HA!"
"The eye just magically forming? HA!"

Tue, 06 May 2008 13:21:00 UTC | #167112

Fiesoduck's Avatar Comment 15 by Fiesoduck

Well, the announcement reads promising. But then, I don't know what to think of "insects in the pre-Cambrian era". As far as I know there were no insects earlier than the Devonian era.

Tue, 06 May 2008 13:22:00 UTC | #167113

MorituriMax's Avatar Comment 16 by MorituriMax

@Chris Jackson,

. . .you mean a tornado roared through a room full of blind people and suddenly they could see?

Oh, and there was a fully assembled 747 out front too with hooters girls on board.

Tue, 06 May 2008 13:27:00 UTC | #167115

Goldy's Avatar Comment 18 by Goldy

Hope this comes to NZ soon - I'm just about all done with WWII and dogfights and hero ships and stuff.
Mind you, there was a pretty good doco on Qin Shi Huang (Ch'in Shih-huang for you Wade Giles supporters)...

Tue, 06 May 2008 13:47:00 UTC | #167125

RSP's Avatar Comment 17 by RSP

This is good, but it's still paltry in comparison to the constant barrage of ghost hunting and UFO shows they put out.

The discovery networks channels sure do love their computer animation.

Tue, 06 May 2008 13:47:00 UTC | #167124

BW022's Avatar Comment 19 by BW022

Well... I guess evolution is history? Rather distant and unwritten history, but still history? :)

Tue, 06 May 2008 13:52:00 UTC | #167127

nalfeshnee's Avatar Comment 20 by nalfeshnee

The new series EVOLVE traces the history of the key innovations that have driven nature's evolutionary arms race from the dawn of life to today,

I do hope they consider the fact that the bacterial flagellum represents a major step in the evolutionary arms race :=)

2 hours on that would surely finally shut some people up.

Tue, 06 May 2008 14:05:00 UTC | #167128

LBraschi's Avatar Comment 21 by LBraschi

Eyes are one of evolution's most useful and prevalent inventions, equipping approximately 95 percent of living species

Excuse me? 95% of all living species?

So, do bacteria have eyes? do fungi? plants?

I don't want to read too much on it, but this kind of gross error makes me think about what kind of 'experts' they've called up for this.

Tue, 06 May 2008 14:31:00 UTC | #167136

cyris8400's Avatar Comment 22 by cyris8400

Y'know, a good amount of History Channel stuff is worth watching, like "Modern Marvels" and "The Universe", and they did a top-notch debunking special on the 9/11 Truthers. Not that that makes up totally for "UFO Hunters" and "Monster Quest".

If they aired Jonathan Miller's Brief History of Disbelief, then they'd definitely be on my good side.

Tue, 06 May 2008 15:56:00 UTC | #167158

beelzebub's Avatar Comment 23 by beelzebub

It'll probably be a few months before it gets over here, but I hope it will be an informed and intelligent overview of evolution. Alas, there are at least two errors in the write-up that I can see (And others here have noted) -
Insects in the pre-cambrian?????
95% of living species have eyes????
...and I'm not too sure about the "To evolve is to conquer!" bit - surely to 'survive' is to live long enough to reproduce? It's not about !!conquest!!

Tue, 06 May 2008 16:13:00 UTC | #167165

DasSquid's Avatar Comment 24 by DasSquid

This could be an interesting development, as pointed out this has the ability to take the people who watched Ben Stein's Movie's ad, and get them to watch this, could possibly plant some seeds of doubt, which is fantastic... however a lot of the language here disturbs me.

...equipping approximately 95 percent of living species...

Either they don't count Bacteria as alive, or they all have eyes, something that's pretty new to me. Plants included too! Shit... maybe the bushes are watching me take a pee... I'll be more wary next time.

...In the pre-Cambrian era, insects...

Lies! Only rabbits existed in the Pre-Cambrian! Note: I do believe that insects were post-cambrian.

Either way I hope they don't fuck this up too much, it has the ability to reach an audience that are fairly retarded... especially in science knowledge, and from what I've heard of this... 'History' channel... I'd likely fail even High School history if I referred to anything in it.

Tue, 06 May 2008 16:19:00 UTC | #167169

Partisan's Avatar Comment 25 by Partisan

Looks better than nothing; so long as it's in standard documentary format and involves interviews from experts, I can't see how it could go wrong, so yea, I'll be tuning into the History channel come mid-june =]

Tue, 06 May 2008 16:44:00 UTC | #167176

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 26 by rod-the-farmer

Re LBraschi

So, do bacteria have eyes? do fungi? plants?

Plants with eyes.....potato.....tapioca, sort of.....stuffed olives.

Tue, 06 May 2008 17:38:00 UTC | #167186

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 27 by Geodesic17

Hopefully they will minimize the sensationalism.

I'm reminded of how Indiana University Northwest's marketing department advertised their ID vs Evolution debate: God vs Science.

Hopefully they have consulted some solid sources and minimize edutainment sensationalism.

Tue, 06 May 2008 18:00:00 UTC | #167188

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 28 by HappyPrimate

I will definitely watch this series and hope there is something I can learn from it. Unfortunately, I would guess that 99% of the people who would benefit greatly from watching will not watch any of it. Too bad.

Tue, 06 May 2008 18:31:00 UTC | #167191

Ty_Webb's Avatar Comment 29 by Ty_Webb

Find out how dinosaurs adapted their eyes to become such successful hunters of prey.

I don't know about anyone else, but I get uneasy about phrases like this. It implies that animals adapt themselves to evolve. I'd far rather they said something like "Find out how dinosaurs' eyes adapted (or maybe even evolved) to make them such successful hunters of prey".

Tue, 06 May 2008 18:35:00 UTC | #167193

Goldy's Avatar Comment 30 by Goldy

Ty_Webb, I dare say the blurb for the films are written by what I would stereotypically see as some ponytailed arty type with maybe a diploma from some polytechnic on film and advertising. I think science, in this case, is something that ispreseted adn dumbed down severely during editing to make it understandable to the general population.
Now, how this population can somehow differentiate between the allegorical and the literal in books like the Bible yet completely fall for the cack-handed shortcuts used in pop-science documentaries would make for interesting research :-)

Tue, 06 May 2008 19:11:00 UTC | #167199