← Gene map proves platypus is part bird, mammal and reptile

Gene map proves platypus is part bird, mammal and reptile - Comments

Jimbesity's Avatar Comment 1 by Jimbesity

Where's your God now, creationists?

Thu, 08 May 2008 09:30:00 UTC | #167855

Bruno's Avatar Comment 2 by Bruno

Such a fascinating animal, indeed.

And science continues to put the puzzle of nature together, piece by piece.

Thu, 08 May 2008 09:37:00 UTC | #167861

Prankster's Avatar Comment 3 by Prankster

Just proves mother nature got seriously off her nut on something when she created this creature.....

"pppffft-bird, mammal and reptile? That'll fuck them scientists up-pppffftt-who's coming down the all-night garage I've got the munchies?-giggles"

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:04:00 UTC | #167877

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 4 by Border Collie

I don't mind having a CA with a platty ...

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:20:00 UTC | #167887

Quine's Avatar Comment 5 by Quine

So, here you go. Any deity could convert the scientists of the world by having left a copy of scripture encoded in the junk DNA of the platty. Clearly, the animal is so strange that it screams "LOOK HERE FOR CREATION EVIDENCE!!!" however, look we do, and it is going to turn out to be just the reverse.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:27:00 UTC | #167893

ShavenYak's Avatar Comment 6 by ShavenYak

Wait a second. Synapsids (mammals and "mammal-like reptiles") are supposed to have diverged from diapsids (reptiles and dinosaurs, including birds) during the Carboniferous, 300 mya. How could bird genes end up in a platypus whose lineage diverged from the other mammals only 165 mya?

Something tells me USA Today has, as usual, dumbed down the reporting too much.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:37:00 UTC | #167900

ttheobald's Avatar Comment 7 by ttheobald

This reminds me a ton of "The Six Cutest Animals That Can Still Destroy You" - Platypus got second mention ).

Enjoy!

T

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:55:00 UTC | #167908

Hypoluxa's Avatar Comment 8 by Hypoluxa

Very interesting story indeed. Such an odd animal. Proof of Evolution is ripe in this creature.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:56:00 UTC | #167909

movingshadow's Avatar Comment 9 by movingshadow

"How could bird genes end up in a platypus whose lineage diverged from the other mammals only 165 mya? "

Maybe I just have a headache, but this is a poorly written article. It's got bird-like features, and similar genes. Convergent evolution. They share an ancestor, and retained some reptilian features including some which we now think of as avian.

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:01:00 UTC | #167914

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 10 by mordacious1

Where is Steve Zara when you need him? He hasn't been posting lately. Working on his book?

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:16:00 UTC | #167923

VanYoungman's Avatar Comment 11 by VanYoungman

Is it possible this animal could run for president of the United States?

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:26:00 UTC | #167927

konquererz's Avatar Comment 12 by konquererz

See, god does exist, he just fucked up REALLY bad!!!

LMGDFAO!

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:33:00 UTC | #167935

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 13 by Steve Zara

Comment #176978 by mordacious1

I'm pleasantly busy and productive. I have been attempting to make my blog something more substantial than it has been (i.e. posting more frequently than once or twice a month). Also, I am preparing some resources to assist with rebuttals of creationist and ID arguments (something more focussed on what we may need here than Talk Origins). I am also close to finishing a long and substantial theological and philosophical debate that I will post somewhere when it is over. I am also researching an article on the theology, philosophy and science of the fine tuning of the universe.

I also have a day job!

I have been following the discussions on this site, and have been pleased with what I have seen. The grinding down of "seeker" was particularly impressive.

I'd like to take this opportunity to promote some new blogs that have appeared recently. Dr Benway's is well worth a look - contains some real gems.

Also, Billy Sands has started a blog - an excellent first post, as would be expected:

I will probably resume posting with my usual frequency in a month or two, when I have completed the above projects.

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:37:00 UTC | #167940

oriole's Avatar Comment 14 by oriole

This story reminds me of those idiots, Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort, who are constantly challenging biologists to find a "crocoduck" in order to prove evolution. Check out the platypus, Ray and Kirk; there's your crocoduck!

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:54:00 UTC | #167947

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 15 by Rawhard Dickins

Sounds like convergence to me.

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:59:00 UTC | #167949

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 16 by mordacious1

Steve Thought someone put a fatwa out on you. Glad you're still around and hope you're enjoying all that, sounds like a lot of work.

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:05:00 UTC | #167953

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 17 by Don_Quix

Yet another example of Satan's diabolical trickery! As if all those dinosaur fossils he planted weren't enough!

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:07:00 UTC | #167954

movingshadow's Avatar Comment 18 by movingshadow

AP articles on evolution always just get me mad, all that awesome research on the 'pus, then these schmucks misrepresent it as some sort of frankensteinian chimera. Bleh!

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:09:00 UTC | #167957

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 19 by mordacious1

I forgot about crocoduck....those morons.

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #167960

quantum tuba's Avatar Comment 20 by quantum tuba

Ironically, the platypus is a creature which creationists in my class claim "could not have arisen from evolution" on the grounds that it is "too weird." This from the same side that demands to see a crocoduck! I think when creationists say a creature "could not have arisen from evolution" they probably just misspoke when they meant to say it "has an incredibly fascinating evolutionary history." I wish.

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:42:00 UTC | #167980

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 21 by SilentMike

What an asinine confusing headline. Creationists will have a field day with this. Similarity in the genetic mechanism that determines sex does not a proof of "part birdness" make. It doesn't mean that the platypus is a bird, just that the sex chromosomes of mammals as they are now evolved in our ancestors after they broke off from the ancestors of the platypus.

Stupid popular press. Leave it to them to take some minor thing, misrepresent it, and blow it way out of proportion.

Here's the Nature headline: Monotreme's genome shares features with mammals, birds and reptiles.

Now isn't that a lot better?

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:59:00 UTC | #168001

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 22 by mordacious1

The 'pus has 5 X chromosomes and 5 Y , way too cool.

Thu, 08 May 2008 13:06:00 UTC | #168009

MorituriMax's Avatar Comment 23 by MorituriMax

The Platypus is to God what the 15. . .(oops, trip, smash), 10 Commandments were to Moses in History of The World by Mel Brooks...

Oh my God... (pun intended) with the release of a single article Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort change from creationist kooks to Scientists! Is there no Justice!? !? !?

What's next? Somebody is going to open a jar of peanut butter and an evolved banana is going to demand to be taken to our Leader?

Thu, 08 May 2008 14:27:00 UTC | #168057

bollocks's Avatar Comment 24 by bollocks

Zara

You just can't stay away

Thu, 08 May 2008 15:04:00 UTC | #168072

Oppomystic's Avatar Comment 25 by Oppomystic

Unfortunately, religious people tend to glaze over when they hear science-related news. Any Christian reading this article would see:

"Scientists said... "

And then they would mutter, "That snake next to the tree is talking again. Don't listen, don't listen, don't listen. Move on to the sports page, you're safe there."

The hold is strong with them. Sometimes the pity is thick enough to bend a knife. [sigh]

Thu, 08 May 2008 15:10:00 UTC | #168073

Goldy's Avatar Comment 26 by Goldy

Steve, good to see you back :-)
From the NY Times.
Original is here Nature 453, 175-183 (8 May 2008)
Not sure if that last link will work for all...

Thu, 08 May 2008 15:41:00 UTC | #168082

Goldy's Avatar Comment 27 by Goldy

Thu, 08 May 2008 15:51:00 UTC | #168087

Goldy's Avatar Comment 28 by Goldy

Yeah, but we don't things that kill in 10 seconds flying, crawling, walking, etc around us :-) And kiwis are cute. I mean, would you want to cuddle an emu?
Wonder how long it would take to selectively breed emus to make a modern day moa...hmmm...

Thu, 08 May 2008 15:59:00 UTC | #168095

Goldy's Avatar Comment 29 by Goldy

I am cute and cuddly - just in the right environment (fully clothed or with the lights out). As I keep telling people, one must never leave the environment out of the equation :-)

Thu, 08 May 2008 16:16:00 UTC | #168102

The Reverend Dark's Avatar Comment 30 by The Reverend Dark

Goldy ponders

Probably not very long at all, but it is more likely that Emu's will go the chicken route - plumper and less aggressive (oh please.... less aggresive.)

Cheers,