← Citing Faith, Bush Defends War Actions

Citing Faith, Bush Defends War Actions - Comments

Hooligan's Avatar Comment 1 by Hooligan

So, the only 20% of Americans left who support him are basing their decisions solely on faith. Lovely.

Thu, 08 May 2008 09:36:00 UTC | #167859

T4Baxter's Avatar Comment 2 by T4Baxter

Sweet, gentle, Jesus! how do you make the bad man stop?

Thu, 08 May 2008 09:38:00 UTC | #167863

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 3 by Cartomancer

He went on to praise the broadcasters for "standing up for our values, including the right to life," and pledged to veto any legislation that would reinstitute the so-called "fairness doctrine," which required broadcasters to give air time to opposing views.
First they came for the communists...

Thu, 08 May 2008 09:42:00 UTC | #167865

10's Avatar Comment 4 by 10

Mr. Bush often talks about his belief in "the universality of freedom,"

So he supports your right to choose various flavors but only of one opinion ?

Thu, 08 May 2008 09:48:00 UTC | #167868

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 5 by Eventhorizon

Tell me something I havent heard a thousand times before.
Bush has got himself in such pickle that as soon as he says white most sensible people automatically say black!

Thu, 08 May 2008 09:50:00 UTC | #167869

Naturalist1's Avatar Comment 6 by Naturalist1

This just scares the daylights out of me. They don't realize they are in a race to the bottom. Last night I had the opportunity to attend a lecture at The Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo On. Canada given by Dr.Gerard t Hooft, 1999 Nobel Laureate in Physics. The title of his talk was, "Science Fact-Science Fiction". He talked about what the LHC will accomplish this summer, the future of space travel, communications, nano technology etc...a very good and at times very humourous talk.
At the end during question period a young woman stood up and asked him, " In all that you have talked about..What scares you the most?"
His answer was rather surprising...He said.."That how religious the United States is becoming...This I do not understand." Then he briefly continued about how irrational this is. The room was silent.

Thu, 08 May 2008 09:52:00 UTC | #167871

Prankster's Avatar Comment 7 by Prankster

Faith, like Patriotism, the last refuge of the Scoundrel?

Spreading freedom, backed up by faith and possibly at the point of a gun, and furthermore vetoing an opposing view-makes me proud to be part of the same speices he says sarcastically......

Thu, 08 May 2008 09:58:00 UTC | #167872

Szkeptik's Avatar Comment 8 by Szkeptik

"has pledged to veto any legislation that would reinstitute the so-called "fairness doctrine," "

The single thing on which I happen to agree with him.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:00:00 UTC | #167874

AnthSynthasome's Avatar Comment 9 by AnthSynthasome

Yuck. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:03:00 UTC | #167876

Incredulous's Avatar Comment 10 by Incredulous

Mr. Bush's faith is well known; he credits his acceptance of Jesus with turning his life around by helping him to quit drinking at age 40.

Well, I guess he feels it is good to replace one unhealthy addiction with another.

There are numerous alcoholics in various hostels who say stuff like this. Luckily, they don't get to lead the most powerful entity that has ever existed into battle.

How do you convince someone who is so sure that god is using him as some kind of truth conductor, that his effect is not a productive one and his actions need to be based on more than the catastrophic idea that his god is always right.

The problem is I don't see any future leader of USA being any less credulous and therefore any less arrpgant or dogmatic.

Why?

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:04:00 UTC | #167878

mesomodel's Avatar Comment 11 by mesomodel

Comment #176933 by Incredulous

There's an old Cheech 'n Chong skit that goes something like this:

"I used to be all messed up on drugs. Then I met the lord. Now I'm all messed up on the lord."

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:12:00 UTC | #167881

Dax's Avatar Comment 12 by Dax

For someone who says "every human being bears the image of our maker" he sure killed a lot of these "images of our maker".
Somehow I don't wonder what the "maker" thinks about that, just like I never wonder what faeries think of their portrayal in fantasy literature.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:19:00 UTC | #167886

Chris Jackson's Avatar Comment 13 by Chris Jackson

Faith is the retreat of the less-intelligent in the face of overriding social/ Political/ Economic issues. The Argument from the "Invisible Sky-Man" (or Woman) is the sanctum of the ignorant. In this statement, Bush is basically saying, "I don't understand the criticism, so I'll say "Goddidit" ". Poor show.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:23:00 UTC | #167890

Cliff Melick's Avatar Comment 14 by Cliff Melick

Sweet, gentle, Jesus! how do you make the bad man stop?

Hopefully in January, 2009, he will be just another religious ex-drunk who will eat up my tax dollars by requiring the continued protection of the Secret Service.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:26:00 UTC | #167892

rotaTOR's Avatar Comment 15 by rotaTOR

the irony is they will build a "library" in this dolts name,as they do for all ex-presidents. what a cruel joke that will be. I wonder if "On the Origin of Species' will be on the bookshelves or if it will be banned? probably the latter..

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:32:00 UTC | #167898

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 16 by mordacious1

After quiting office in January, bush will become the new "King of Fucktards" with Ben Stein as the Prince of Norks.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:41:00 UTC | #167901

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 17 by mordacious1

Naturalist1 I'm jealous. But that's what I get for living in a backwater with no Universities nearby. We do have several hundred churches though.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:44:00 UTC | #167902

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 18 by Diacanu

Speaking of the douchebag in chief, and his putrid legacy, there was a documentary last night on PBS about George Bush Senior.

Ugh, what a bunch of gilded flowery perfumed bullshit propaganda that was.
Vomitous.

All "ohhh la de da de daaa, he loves this country, and honor this, and integrity that, and laa de da dee daa", and I kept saying to myself "do they actually believe this shit? Is their little bubble really so isolated? Do they not at all see how fucking evil they are, and they buy into their own infomercial?".

Because I'm starting the think that's the case.
I think they're in their own little world, and the horror just doesn't touch them at all.

Like those dumb old ladies at the country club in "Roger & Me".

Hideous.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:50:00 UTC | #167905

FightingFalcon's Avatar Comment 19 by FightingFalcon

I love the bias of the NY Times.

For non-Americans: the "fairness doctrine" was a piece of shit legislation that would allow the FCC to FORCE private broadcasting companies to air opposing viewpoints. It would effectively put an end to any sort of partisan/independent radio stations and pave the way for centrally dominated and federally controlled airwaves.

Non-Americans simply do not understand America. It's not like Americans woke up one day and all-of-a-sudden decided to become religious. We've always had Christian evangelical groups in our country, even during the hey-day of the Clinton administration and earlier. The difference is that we currently have a president who provides a very strong patronage to them and basically owes them his presidency.

Just as I guaranteed this board that Mike Huckabee would not win a single state outside of the Bible Belt, I can guarantee you that America will return to "normal" once the patronage of the White House ceases. All three presidential candidates are much more secular than the current one. Obama might even be a closet Agnostic while Clinton/McCain simply pander for votes. None of them have anywhere near the faith that our current president does.

Thu, 08 May 2008 10:51:00 UTC | #167906

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 20 by mordacious1

John McCain promised to appoint Supreme Court Justices in the mold of Scalia. Enough said.

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:04:00 UTC | #167916

konquererz's Avatar Comment 21 by konquererz

Freedom is god's gift to man kind? So he is going to force it on the world? Sounds crusadish to me. But that aside, gods gift to the world is freedom and Jesus and if you don't accept them you burn in hell for ever. What a douchebag Bush is.

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:27:00 UTC | #167928

Naturalist1's Avatar Comment 22 by Naturalist1

Mordacious1...you should invite Dr. Dawkins or Dr.t Hooft or Christopher Hitchens(especially Hitchens) to speak at one of those hundreds of churches. Think of the possibilities!

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:33:00 UTC | #167936

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 23 by Diacanu

mordacious1-

Holy shit, I had not heard that.
Gah, threw up in my mouth a little.
That bitter bile that burns that back of your throat.
Kkkkkk!!

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:35:00 UTC | #167939

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 24 by Chrysippus_Maximus

20. Comment #176971 by mordacious1 on May 8, 2008 at 12:04 pm

It was always fairly certain that McCain would be the next President.

This essentially just confirms it.

It obviously doesn't help that Clinton is purposely staying in the race [clearly helping McCain] so she can run again in 2012.

McCain doesn't strike me as "stupid", which, at least, is something... I think perhaps he's just vote-pandering at the moment... and hopefully his presidency will at least be more secular than the current one.

Thu, 08 May 2008 11:38:00 UTC | #167941

exquisitetruth's Avatar Comment 25 by exquisitetruth

and Mr. Bush conceded in an interview with conservative commentators last year that his critics believe he is "hopelessly idealistic."

Well, he's half right.

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:05:00 UTC | #167951

WilliamP's Avatar Comment 26 by WilliamP

So he opposes equal time for opposing views in the media, but favors equal time for Intelligent Design in the classroom? I wonder what his justification is for that.

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:08:00 UTC | #167956

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 27 by Rawhard Dickins

My gosh! he'll be converting to Catholicism next just like our Tony.

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:10:00 UTC | #167958

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 28 by mordacious1

Naturalist1 I don't know, do those guys like being chased by villagers with torches? Besides some of the churches here know me too well. St. Joseph's for example, they have a sign in their parking lot that reads "St Joseph's parking only". So I added "all other saints must park in the street". I thought it was funny and harmless, but they got pissed. Get a sense of humor already.

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:21:00 UTC | #167967

FightingFalcon's Avatar Comment 29 by FightingFalcon

His comment on conservative judges was such obvious vote pandering that I can't believe you are taking it seriously.

Does anyone honestly think politicians will keep their election promises?

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:37:00 UTC | #167975

quantum tuba's Avatar Comment 30 by quantum tuba

"But Mr. Bush, most experts agree, has taken the American freedom agenda to an entirely new level, by trying to foster democracy in nations that have not known it before, like Iraq and Afghanistan."

Somebody needs to give these people some Chomsky! Perhaps Failed States would teach them how to look beyond the morally vacuous fallacies of faith heads.

This president has done so much to undermine democracy at home, from being appointed by the Supreme Court to shredding the Constitution in the name of counter-terrorism. As for his work as missionary for democracy, our Iraq occupation does not respect the will of the Iraqi or American people, and I have a hard time considering Afghanistan free when blasphemy still qualifies as a capital offense.

Thu, 08 May 2008 12:53:00 UTC | #167997