← Americans pray at the pump for cheaper petrol

Americans pray at the pump for cheaper petrol - Comments

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 1 by mordacious1

Lord, give me cheap gas. POOF. A burrito appears.

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:15:00 UTC | #170001

Goldy's Avatar Comment 2 by Goldy

Praying? PRAYING?? And not even considering a more economical car or, god forbid, walking to the closer destinations...
If they want their prayers answered, they should try going to the UK for a spell - driving holiday using their own money. On their return, their prayers will have been answered :-)

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:19:00 UTC | #170003

SPS's Avatar Comment 3 by SPS

Matthew 18:19-20
19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Prayer is the answer to every problem in life.

They were both wrong.

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:28:00 UTC | #170005

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 4 by Lisa Bauer

Holy crap, is this how America looks to the rest of the world? *hangs head in shame*

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:31:00 UTC | #170006

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 5 by Agrajag

Yet another example of the ineffectiveness of ("remote") prayer, but these ignorant twits will never realize it.
Ste5e

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:33:00 UTC | #170009

PJG's Avatar Comment 6 by PJG

Bonkers!!!!

The trouble is now, if the price comes down, even by a cent, within the normal market fluctuation, they will say "Goddidit" and another prayer will have been answered - if not, it will be those evil oil people. Really, God just can't lose.

* sigh *

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:34:00 UTC | #170011

Quine's Avatar Comment 7 by Quine

Someone gimme an 'amen'!!!

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:46:00 UTC | #170014

Stella's Avatar Comment 8 by Stella

I guess it would never occur to these numbskulls to ORGANIZE.

Or that, you know, U.S. foreign policy (which they have probably supported) and energy policy (which it appears they certainly support) are to blame for this problem.

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:52:00 UTC | #170017

riandouglas's Avatar Comment 9 by riandouglas

Wow. Just wow!

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:53:00 UTC | #170018

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 10 by Geodesic17

This doesn't take into account all the people praying for the price to go up. God is on the side of the oil companies.

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:58:00 UTC | #170019

EvidenceOnly's Avatar Comment 11 by EvidenceOnly

This praying nonsense reminds me of an old joke.

A old man had prayed every night his whole life asking whatever God he believed to let him win the lottery.

One night, he heard a thundering voice from above: "It would really help if you started buying lottery tickets".

I'm sure that this came from his neighbor in the apartment above him who was sick and tired of all that begging night after night.

Mon, 12 May 2008 18:59:00 UTC | #170020

riki's Avatar Comment 12 by riki

You never know, the thought of god fearing Christians praying for cheaper petrol may tug on the heart strings of some oil-rich Arab zillionaire.

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:00:00 UTC | #170021

lazlow's Avatar Comment 13 by lazlow

If the price of gas falls and these people rejoice in the presence of the power of God for what he has done, would they question his motives for letting the people in Burma and China suffer or would they find the trade-off acceptable? I mean, when you think about it, what's 30-40000 lives lost in a typhoon or 9000 lives lost in an earthquake compared to 4 bucks at the pump?

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:12:00 UTC | #170024

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 14 by Bonzai

This is a joke, right?

I predict Teratonis will show up and give us another of his book length lecture. But at least he will be on topic this time.

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:20:00 UTC | #170027

markg's Avatar Comment 15 by markg

Where are these places you speak of, Burma and China? Are they in California? What, there's a whole world outside the US? [/sarcasm]

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:20:00 UTC | #170028

TruthByEvidence's Avatar Comment 16 by TruthByEvidence

Truly pathetic.

Prayer: How to do absolutely nothing with sincere intentions of making a situation better.

Are these people the result of a two thousand year old text? Idiots praying to change something that is well within HUMAN hands?

It's not like it's the weather. Kooks.

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:25:00 UTC | #170029

ghuckin's Avatar Comment 17 by ghuckin

The difference between sarcasm and American sarcasm is that the latter has to be explained.

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:27:00 UTC | #170030

baalzevuv's Avatar Comment 18 by baalzevuv

hahalol omfg okay lol.

Seriously, most of America isn't like this.

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:33:00 UTC | #170031

markg's Avatar Comment 19 by markg

It didn't have to be explained. It's just that some people may take it seriously. Someone like clearmind/wooter, for instance.

edit: ghuckin, when you say 'American' are you refering to North, South or Central America?

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:34:00 UTC | #170032

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 20 by mordacious1

Now I get it. I've been hearing alot of people screaming "jesus christ" when filling up. Who knew they were just asking for help with being able to drive their SUV's.

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:34:00 UTC | #170033

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 21 by Bonzai

Guys who scream "Oh! My God!" during sex must be praying for help in getting it up. :)

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:36:00 UTC | #170035

Goldy's Avatar Comment 22 by Goldy

I'm assuming the prices quoted are $/US gallon. Lucky bastards - wish our petrol was that cheap!

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:39:00 UTC | #170037

Goldy's Avatar Comment 23 by Goldy

If I worked it out right, they're paying 95 US cents a litre. That's NZ$1.24. We pay almost NZ$1.90 for the cheap stuff - premium is over 2 bucks a litre now.
Lucky bastards! Typical religious people - living in clover and still they complain!

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:45:00 UTC | #170039

markg's Avatar Comment 24 by markg

Goldy,

People in the US started complaining a few years ago before it started to reach US$2 per gal. Many (most?) have no clue what the price is in other countries.

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:52:00 UTC | #170040

Goldy's Avatar Comment 25 by Goldy

Another stupid article in the same vein.
We are miserable because we have lost God. Yet these miserable gits in the US have God and Jesus and they're not happy. Someone ought to tell the silly Christian MPs that. And, while they're at it, maybe also tell these silly Christian MPs that maybe their policies are making more peole miserable than any loss of mythical deity.
Rant over...deep breath...

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:53:00 UTC | #170041

quill's Avatar Comment 26 by quill

How much you wanna bet these idiots voted for Bush?

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:57:00 UTC | #170042

Goldy's Avatar Comment 27 by Goldy

markg, I know. And we've been laughing at them for years.
97 pence a litre in the UK. That's US$1.89/L or about US$7.15/US gallon.
And they complain? Sheesh!

Mon, 12 May 2008 19:58:00 UTC | #170043

GordonYKWong's Avatar Comment 28 by GordonYKWong

This is really Tetratonis territory... He will completely flip out when he read this article.

Mon, 12 May 2008 20:01:00 UTC | #170044

moderndaythomas's Avatar Comment 29 by moderndaythomas

"Lord, come down in a mighty way and strengthen us so that we can bring down these high gas prices," Twyman said to a chorus of "amens".

I know that they're from Washington and not everybody from Louisiana are Christian, but I swear I can detect a southern drawl.

Mon, 12 May 2008 20:05:00 UTC | #170045

GordonYKWong's Avatar Comment 30 by GordonYKWong

While we are are it, let's start a list of equally pointless things to pray for from your favourite supernatural deity:

• Dear Zeus, please suspend the laws of supply and demand so that I have cheap petrol to run my fuel guzzler. In your loving name I pray, Amen.
  • Dear FSM, please convert my SUV's engine to consume only seawater and produce only fairy-floss emission. In your loving name I pray, Amen.
  • Dear Thor, please zap all of the dirt in California so that it is soaked in Crude Oil. In your thunderly name I pray, Amen.
  • Dear Quetz, please urinate refined petroleum into my Hummer's fuel tank and fill the sky with your awesomeness. In your totally awesome name I pray, Amen.
  • Mon, 12 May 2008 20:16:00 UTC | #170049