← The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing, ed. Richard Dawkins

The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing, ed. Richard Dawkins - Comments

Aegisofreason's Avatar Comment 1 by Aegisofreason

First post!

Fri, 16 May 2008 06:34:00 UTC | #171754

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 2 by Sally Luxmoore

Since when was atheism a "tarnish" or a "debauchery"?

Bias?

I have this book on order from Amazon and am waiting impatiently for its arrival.

Fri, 16 May 2008 06:38:00 UTC | #171757

Jiten's Avatar Comment 3 by Jiten

Yeah,this is a good review of a good book.But I can't wait for Dawkins's own next book.

Fri, 16 May 2008 06:39:00 UTC | #171758

Jiten's Avatar Comment 5 by Jiten

Aegisofreason Yeah and what did you do with it you cretin?

Fri, 16 May 2008 06:41:00 UTC | #171762

SteveN's Avatar Comment 4 by SteveN

I'm about half-way through this book at the moment and am enjoying it thoroughly. Richard's introductions are short and to the point, and the selected passages are also relatively short (usually one or two pages). I'm steadily making a list of authors whose books I must now read in full.

Fri, 16 May 2008 06:41:00 UTC | #171761

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 6 by Apathy personified

I have this book, on the bookcase, just waiting for my finals to be over (3rd year physics....don't ask), i really can't wait.

Now, now Jiten, play nice, they are new to the site

Fri, 16 May 2008 06:46:00 UTC | #171765

j.mills's Avatar Comment 7 by j.mills

I found it an elegant and interesting book, though oddly structured in having mostly biology in the first half and much more emphasis on hard sciences in the second. Didn't actually learn a great deal (or if I did I've forgotten it all!), but it's very enjoyable.

Fri, 16 May 2008 06:55:00 UTC | #171767

T4Baxter's Avatar Comment 8 by T4Baxter

This could be the book for the next generation of children to refer to in the search for truth. An, introduction, effort of a science bible! I live in hopelessly optimistic hope.

Fri, 16 May 2008 06:56:00 UTC | #171770

BigJohn's Avatar Comment 9 by BigJohn

Could someone please explain to me what it is about 'first post' that is so exciting to some? I can't imagine that all 'first posters' are pre-teens or are mentally retarded, so, there must be some other reason for the unbridled excitement.

Fri, 16 May 2008 06:57:00 UTC | #171771

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 10 by Matt H.

That's funny, I thought it was a rather bad review of a good book. Using terms like 'pastor', 'debauchery' and 'evangelising' when referring to atheism is usually a telltale sign.

Fri, 16 May 2008 07:00:00 UTC | #171773

SteveN's Avatar Comment 11 by SteveN

Jiten said "But I can't wait for Dawkins's own next book."

I agree. As much as I have been so thoroughly pleased with events since Richard released "The God Delusion", it's his popular science writing that I enjoy the most. Does he have such a book in progress, does anyone know?

Fri, 16 May 2008 07:05:00 UTC | #171776

SteveN's Avatar Comment 12 by SteveN

j.mills wrote

...in having mostly biology in the first half and much more emphasis on hard sciences in the second

Now wait just one doggoned minute there JM! Are you implying that we biologists are a bunch of softies or that biology is a cushy number compared with physics? I'll be sending round the boys with the baseball bats if Richard doesn't get you first ;-)

Fri, 16 May 2008 07:13:00 UTC | #171780

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 13 by Tezcatlipoca

Would those be wooden baseball bats made from trees SteveN?

Fri, 16 May 2008 07:18:00 UTC | #171783

SteveN's Avatar Comment 14 by SteveN

Tezcatlipoca asked:

Would those be wooden baseball bats made from trees SteveN?
When I can tear myself away from doing evil experminents in my dungeon, I mean laboratory, I actually spend my time woodturning, i.e. the art of turning large trees into small useless items. Wooden baseball bats are therefore a distinct possibility!

Fri, 16 May 2008 07:22:00 UTC | #171785

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 15 by Tezcatlipoca

I'm glad to hear it. I don't really like the sound when a metal bat makes contact...*crack, crack* rather than *gong, crack*

Fri, 16 May 2008 07:30:00 UTC | #171790

Ygern's Avatar Comment 16 by Ygern

BigJohn wrote:

Maybe not, but that sure seems to be the impression they want to leave.
Can I raise a motion that anyone who does this in future gets pelted with rotten fruit?

Back on topic, its quite a nice review once it gets going, but there does seem to be a little resentment simmering under the surface there.

Still. All hail to thee O 'Chief Pastor of World Atheism Inc'

/sarcasm

Fri, 16 May 2008 07:41:00 UTC | #171796

Alfrescoid's Avatar Comment 17 by Alfrescoid

BigJohn...looks to me like it's a primal and vestigial (in most of us, anyway) response to the "look at me" principle of passing on your genes. Being seen has potential beneficial possibility of attracting a mate.

I think Monty Python had it right though...NOT being seen seems to be the way to go...fewer explosions :)

It's probably a mostly-bred-out characteristic of Homo Sapiens, but obviously there are still pockets...

Fri, 16 May 2008 07:46:00 UTC | #171798

happyatheist's Avatar Comment 18 by happyatheist

I pre-ordered this book from Amazon when I first read about it here many months ago. I live in the States and wasn't supposed to receive it til sometime this week...but I was overjoyed when Amazon sent it to me in early April. :) Good reading. :)

Fri, 16 May 2008 09:00:00 UTC | #171830

rgpratt's Avatar Comment 19 by rgpratt

SteveN:

Jiten said "But I can't wait for Dawkins's own next book."

According to this article http://www.observer.com/2008/richard-dawkins-follow-god-delusion-sold-free-press-3-5-million Richard is to be paid $3.5 million for a book on the evidence for evolution. It has a great title: Only a theory? (read it aloud as a question). The question mark is the key, and of course William Dembski completely misses the point in his sneering blog here: http://www.uncommondescent.com/evolution/dawkins-cashes-in-on-darwins-upcoming-bicentennial/

Fri, 16 May 2008 09:05:00 UTC | #171834

JackR's Avatar Comment 20 by JackR

Why do some people feel compelled to comment on the fact that they're making the first post on a thread? What is that? I mean, so what? Does it make you a better person? What do you want - a cookie?

I can't understand such quirks at all.

Fri, 16 May 2008 10:21:00 UTC | #171869

Raiko's Avatar Comment 21 by Raiko

One day, I shall make scientific poetry worth reading!

Fri, 16 May 2008 10:34:00 UTC | #171875

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 22 by mordacious1

I posted this somewhere before, but... 50% off at Amazon UK, 32% at Amazon US . Is this an example of sticking it to the yanks? You guys really have to get over that 1776 thing. Yes, I know, "but your gas is so much cheaper".

Fri, 16 May 2008 10:41:00 UTC | #171879

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 23 by HourglassMemory

I hate it that I have have to wait this book to either be put on sale in my country, in english, or be translated and be put on sale in some obscure corner of the bookstore.
My parents aren't very persuaded by the whole online buying thing.

Fri, 16 May 2008 11:06:00 UTC | #171889

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 24 by Geodesic17

Since when was atheism a "tarnish" or a "debauchery"?

There are some that perpetuate a stereotype of atheists. It helps with converting people to their cause.

Fri, 16 May 2008 11:35:00 UTC | #171911

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 25 by the great teapot

Yeah
Most recent post!
Eat my shorts.

Fri, 16 May 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #171938

carbonman's Avatar Comment 26 by carbonman

Took 6 weeks for Amazon to get the book past customs in this crazy place. They'd refunded me when it finally got here, and I've just asked them to re-charge me. About to start reading.

Fri, 16 May 2008 12:23:00 UTC | #171955

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 27 by the great teapot

Carbonman
You asked them to recharge you?Where do you get such moral values from?
You been reading the buybull on the sly?

Fri, 16 May 2008 12:38:00 UTC | #171963

SteveN's Avatar Comment 28 by SteveN

rgpratt, thanks for the information and the link (#20): that is really kewl. Sounds like it's going to be lots of science specifically directed at debunking the creos. Excellent!

Fri, 16 May 2008 12:43:00 UTC | #171967

Mister Griswold's Avatar Comment 29 by Mister Griswold

Bought it. Love it.

Fri, 16 May 2008 15:19:00 UTC | #172018

Homo economicus's Avatar Comment 30 by Homo economicus

Have enjoyed the book - and we had it in the UK before the USA! (This is unusual in the media scheme of things).

The scientific version of "The Portable Atheist"

Fri, 16 May 2008 16:08:00 UTC | #172028