← Regime change in heaven

Regime change in heaven - Comments

JackR's Avatar Comment 1 by JackR

I see what you did there.

Weird. I love satire. I love anti-religious satire even more. I love political satire. This example hits a lot of targets pretty neatly and yet for some reason the whole seems less than the sum of its parts. Perhaps I need another coffee...

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:24:00 UTC | #181509

posiedon's Avatar Comment 2 by posiedon

He he, that's fairly cheered up a wet and windy Tuesday.
Thanks:-)

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:29:00 UTC | #181512

GBile's Avatar Comment 3 by GBile

Somehow it sounds like 'Mission accomplished'.

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:52:00 UTC | #181530

konquererz's Avatar Comment 4 by konquererz

What an absolutely perfect piece of satire! We need more of these. Some times, satire is the only way to really make a point be understood.

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:57:00 UTC | #181536

HitbLade's Avatar Comment 5 by HitbLade

Not a millennia too soon. :P

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:58:00 UTC | #181539

gcdavis's Avatar Comment 6 by gcdavis

Reports of my demise are premature! Knowing that your pathetic assault was on its way I spent the afternoon with an old friend, if you thinks it's bad on earth, its hell where he lives! What a pathetic bunch you humans are, you couldn't even manage regime change in Zimbabwe, but I digress. It has come to my notice that a few of you so called atheists are stirring up trouble down there on earth, I may have to send another prophet down to get you back in line, the last one was a disappointment, Bin something or other, as he seems to have gone freelance.

And let's get this evolution thing straight, yes of course you started out as bacteria and to my mind most of you still are but evolution was my best wheeze yet, survival of the fittest? You bet. Why do you think I allow all these religions to think they are the chosen ones? Isn't it obvious, they will continue killing each other (and you atheists) until only one lot survives; and just when they think it's all sewn up, I'll send down another flood and wipe out the last of you.

Why would I do that you ask? Because frankly you're boring, after 5 billion years I deserve a break. Well I'm off to Alpha Centauri now, there's a small rock, sorry planet, about your size just cool enough for me to dribble on... where did you think the bacteria came from?

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:30:00 UTC | #181554

defaithed's Avatar Comment 7 by defaithed

Heh. Reminds me of some satire on The Onion (news of lawsuits against God for broken promises, etc.). And the "attack on heaven" angle shares a wee bit with a post I wrote just a few days back, at http://www.defaithed.com/blog/defaithed/2008/06/strong_antitheist . But unlike my bit, the above is funny - always the more effective strategy! My compliments to the author!

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:51:00 UTC | #181567

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 8 by Frankus1122

As I wrote elsewhere, for a brief moment last night I thought God was 'coming to take me home'. The massive rain storm that took place last night produced the loudest thunderclap I have ever experienced in my life. It must have went off right over my house. It shook the windows and made the ground rumble.
I am glad to see that my attacker has been defeated. Yeah humans!

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:13:00 UTC | #181580

Drool's Avatar Comment 9 by Drool

"Though, of course, being omniscient, He didn't actually need to listen to be aware of our intentions. Either that or He was in hiding. Which seems unlikely, given that He also claims to be omnipresent."
Comedy gold.

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:38:00 UTC | #181618

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 10 by mordacious1

Did I upset the negotiations when I mooned him the other night? See what happens when the government does things without telling the populace.

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:54:00 UTC | #181630

Haymoon's Avatar Comment 11 by Haymoon

Yesterday, on knees in prayer
I spoke to god, who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish that god would go away

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:03:00 UTC | #181665

Mysturji's Avatar Comment 12 by Mysturji

Very noodly news. I hope the new incumbent is finally going to install the stripper factory and beer volcano.

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:06:00 UTC | #181691

DalaiDrivel's Avatar Comment 13 by DalaiDrivel

Hah. This was a good laugh. :)

What's true is that all nations and all peoples WILL need to be united to combat the idiocy and destructiveness of religious faith.

The war is not over. It is upon us still. And maybe at the end we could have a presidential address similiar to this, along the lines of,

"We're terribly sorry. There really IS a separation of church and state, and we know what it means. It's not actually a problem now, without the Church..."

Like Bill Maher's Religulous, ridiculing the ridiculous such as this does is a reasonable tactic to exposing people to their own ignorance and errors of judgement.

After all, it's all just SO RIDICULOUS!

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:41:00 UTC | #181742

Andrew Stich's Avatar Comment 14 by Andrew Stich

To the point, intelligent, and, perhaps most importantly, funny.

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:07:00 UTC | #181781

Alfrescoid's Avatar Comment 15 by Alfrescoid

Ladies and gentlemen, we got Him...

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:35:00 UTC | #181792

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 16 by Apathy personified

According to paradise lost (the true record of what really happened) god's son vanquished satans armies, really destroyed them, but that doesn't matter, as we have heaven now (there won't be any insurgents, don't worry)

We need to look to heaven's neighbour, hell, it's full of evil people, like satan, who have already attacked earth, and may do it again, it may also look to use the weapons of heaven that were smuggled out, just as we arrived (just a few seconds...)
We need to act now people, now.

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:59:00 UTC | #181799

troodon's Avatar Comment 18 by troodon

Prayer: negotiation with the father of all terrorists.

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:36:00 UTC | #181808

JackR's Avatar Comment 19 by JackR

Okay, I re-read it after I'd woken up a bit. Enjoyed it much more. There's a lesson in there for me, I think. Don't expect to find things too funny when you've just arrived at work on a sweltering, sticky day and you haven't had enough coffee yet!

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:40:00 UTC | #181830

dragonfirematrix's Avatar Comment 20 by dragonfirematrix

Nice shot!

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:54:00 UTC | #181835

Melomel's Avatar Comment 21 by Melomel

Hm. Could have been marked "spoilers for His Dark Materials."

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:54:00 UTC | #181877

Ansu's Avatar Comment 22 by Ansu

Ha, of course it was easy, for invading always is.
Occupation however...

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 01:14:00 UTC | #181907

paulifa1's Avatar Comment 23 by paulifa1

Wait!, news just in, God has gone into hiding!

He has just been spotted disguised as a fat bald man with many tatoo's shaking like a jelly somewhere in Lakeland, Florida. Further reports indicate he's committed the further offence of practicing medicine without a licence, mainly healing the bad backs & acne of a large number of gullible, gibbering, mentally deranged people, however, he seems happy to leave their mental impairment intact!

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:12:00 UTC | #181926

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 24 by Border Collie

Silly, silly, silly ...

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:59:00 UTC | #182022

utelme's Avatar Comment 25 by utelme

Absolutely loved this articlel. LOL

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:01:00 UTC | #182198

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 26 by Laurie Fraser

BLASPHEMY!

(Don't you love it?)

Thu, 12 Jun 2008 03:25:00 UTC | #182299

scotriani's Avatar Comment 27 by scotriani

You sure this article wasn't written by Jeremy Clarkson?

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 08:58:00 UTC | #227532