← The Flea Delusion

The Flea Delusion - Comments

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 1 by Chris Roberts

Toe De Has?
Never heard of him.

But how patronising is the 'allowing you to reach your full potential' banner on his website!!

Can't open the link to thedelusiondelusion.com/, so I havn't got a clue what the book is about either.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:07:00 UTC | #187586

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 2 by Cartomancer

Some kind of high-level meta-delusion? Sounds suspiciously like Neoplatonism to me...

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:08:00 UTC | #187587

bugaboo's Avatar Comment 3 by bugaboo

learn how to embrace your inner delusion and come to love it.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:13:00 UTC | #187589

decius's Avatar Comment 4 by decius

It looks like he is involved with a lot of bollocks.
"He composed the music for his CD The Ultimate Stress Buster, Meditation CD" and ripping people off with self-help techniques.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:18:00 UTC | #187593

Oystein Elgaroy's Avatar Comment 5 by Oystein Elgaroy

Who said "All have a book within, and in most cases that is exactly where it should stay"?

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:19:00 UTC | #187596

TeraBrat's Avatar Comment 6 by TeraBrat

The fact that so many books were written to refute that book shows how worried they are about it.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:19:00 UTC | #187597

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 7 by Steve Zara

Comment #197557 by Oystein Elgaroy

I believe it was Chris Hitchens. Sure sounds like him!

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:22:00 UTC | #187598

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 8 by Frankus1122

From what I was able to read from the back cover (testimonials from Oprah and Deepak) it does not look like a serious book. There are many references to it being extremely funny.
It looks like a true flea; exploiting the title of Dawkins' book to make a quick buck.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:30:00 UTC | #187604

Oystein Elgaroy's Avatar Comment 9 by Oystein Elgaroy

Comment #197559 by Steve Zara

Thanks. He is a bit of a bully, but the quote seems relevant here.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:32:00 UTC | #187606

decius's Avatar Comment 11 by decius

testimonials from Oprah and Deepak

There you go, a certified quack.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:37:00 UTC | #187611

Forti's Avatar Comment 10 by Forti

My guess is that it's a parody.

Poe's Law strikes back! :D

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:37:00 UTC | #187609

bugaboo's Avatar Comment 12 by bugaboo

10. Comment #197570 by Forti

My guess is that it's a parody

Dont count on it. The self help industry is full of this type of drivel and these books sell like hotcakes.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:44:00 UTC | #187614

maton100's Avatar Comment 14 by maton100

The flea eggs are past their incubation period. Time for the hatching of horseshit.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:45:00 UTC | #187617

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 13 by Lisa Bauer

There was another "flea" I saw a while back; I sent it in but it isn't up there. It's called Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God. I mean, not that anybody here would want to READ such a thing, but just to keep the list current, you know? The fact that it comes with recommendations from Antony Flew and Michael Behe...well, that speaks for itself.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before we see The Dawkins Delusion Delusion Delusion...I'm already getting dizzy!

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:45:00 UTC | #187616

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 15 by Diacanu

Josh has to either get his butt in gear, or have someone else do it, but all the new ones have to be spliced onto that little orbit chart.

Come on, someone here has to be a graphic artist, let's get that shit done, gang.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:47:00 UTC | #187618

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 16 by mordacious1

We all have a book within us. Sometimes it's in the brain, sometimes the heart, sometimes the lower GI tract.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:51:00 UTC | #187621

Corylus's Avatar Comment 17 by Corylus

How vastly peculiar. Seems to be just a marketing ploy to sell a self-help psychology book.

If his point is simply that modern psychology has shown we humans all have our individual crazy ideas, then I have to say that this is neither a novel insight nor a particular shocker.

However, I haven't read it so perhaps I am being unkind. One plus point is the deep amusement I feel at the evidence that someone might be making some pennies off the back of McGrath for a change.

Generally though,... a book about a delusion, about a book about a delusion, about a book...

Puts me in mind of a strange experience I had at work the other week. I was attending training on how to use Powerpoint for delivering training/lectures. It was being given by a trainer using Powerpoint.

I got so distracted by the contemplation of the infinite regress inherent in this situation that I learnt precisely bugger all.

Ho Hum.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:53:00 UTC | #187623

TeraBrat's Avatar Comment 19 by TeraBrat

Here's some information about

Tao de Haas

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:59:00 UTC | #187626

decius's Avatar Comment 18 by decius

To make a penny out of McGrath, you shall have to pimp him out in some latrine. No one would buy a book because its title sounds similar to McGrath's.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:59:00 UTC | #187625

black wolf's Avatar Comment 20 by black wolf

Afleogenesis or fleacial creation? The most important question mankind has ever faced!
... or not

I speculate that it's perhaps along the 'we can think about thinking and therefore thought is independent of our brain, so therefore our mind must be somehow inspired by something higher' or 'we wouldn't have the concept of a delusion if we were actually deluded' or something. MPhil will know how to phrase that better than I can, and he'll surely have seen it all before. I'd love to read a review or a comment about its content by my very clever countryman.
I just awoke from a nap, please excuse my poor language.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:01:00 UTC | #187627

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 21 by Steve Zara

Comment #197587 by TeraBrat

Oh dear the link to "The Delusion Delusion" on his page doesn't work.

That means the link is a Delusion Delusion Delusion.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:02:00 UTC | #187628

Sargeist's Avatar Comment 22 by Sargeist

It must be a parody: "The unintentional best seller", come on!

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:04:00 UTC | #187630

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 23 by mordacious1

unintentional bestseller...you think it would be on amazon by now...it's not. Probably sold two copies, yeah his wife bought one too.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:06:00 UTC | #187632

quill's Avatar Comment 24 by quill

What is it with these people and fake names? What was the name of that last guy? Vox Dei?

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:16:00 UTC | #187639

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 25 by thewhitepearl

I'm scared to click on this link!!

The unintentional best seller?? what?

EDIT* I had fun "flippin" the pages...

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:20:00 UTC | #187644

TeraBrat's Avatar Comment 26 by TeraBrat

Why not wait and find out what the book actually says before putting it down.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:23:00 UTC | #187647

Sargeist's Avatar Comment 27 by Sargeist

Tera,

I'm not even going to pick it up...

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:31:00 UTC | #187653

bugaboo's Avatar Comment 28 by bugaboo

Hi Tera

I think that in this case you CAN judge a book by its cover.

Spain V Italy starting

must go

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:32:00 UTC | #187655

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 29 by Lisa Bauer

Hmm. On the site, it says, "Sydney psychotherapist Tao De Haas has written The Delusion Delusion in response to The God Delusion, by the world renowned Oxford professor and scientist Richard Dawkins and The Dawkins Delusion? by Alister McGrath. Rather than debating who is or isn't deluded, The Delusion Delusion answers both. De Haas says that it is not essential to have read Dawkins' or McGrath's book in order to understand The Delusion Delusion."

The back says, "Are you deluded? The answer is probably 'yes'. Recognising your delusions as just that will give you a renewed sense of perspective and freedom. If you think you're not deluded, then read on..."

The parody "endorsements" that follow kind of give the game away. For example: "This book will definitely not be seen or mentioned on the Oprah Winfrey show. -- Winprah Onfrey; "I'm confused -- but I like it. -- John Smith, not an author but wants to write a book one day.

I say part parody, part serious.
(This space unintentionally left blank.)

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:35:00 UTC | #187656

black wolf's Avatar Comment 30 by black wolf

From the author's bio, he's apparently a qualified psychotherapist, and a business and achievement counselor. His lectures are about emotional and corporate intelligence, communication and mental training.

My earlier comment is way off probably. I now speculate his book is more about the emphasis of delusions in our lives, where they come from and what important insights we can potentially gain from realizing them, in order to resolve conflict. Probably denouncing the criticism atheists and faith proponents have for each other as delusions of themselves. As in, delusions are a part of how our mind functions, and getting rid of them is the wrong way to address them. "Tao de Haas has the secret of not just dealing with stress, but making it good for you. Tao's passionate and entertaining teaching methods and effective stress reduction techniques, will leave you relaxed and de-stressed." (http://www.scvb.com.au/scvb/index.cfm?921AE9F0-BCDE-7715-B8DC-1631F2989A0B)
My father is a professional in stress management and business counseling, maybe I'll ask him if he's heard of Mr. de Haas. Probably not, as the market for such counselors is huge.

edit: Thanks Layla for the information in her above post, confirming my ideas.

Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:37:00 UTC | #187658