← New Zealand man sells his soul to 'Hell'

New Zealand man sells his soul to 'Hell' - Comments

happinessiseasy's Avatar Comment 1 by happinessiseasy

LOL. Where did the "deed" come from? Did he make it in Microsoft Word?

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:28:00 UTC | #193346

qomak's Avatar Comment 2 by qomak

Quick, we all have to sell our souls before supply surpasses the demand.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:33:00 UTC | #193350

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 3 by Apathy personified

Interesting idea...
I'm taking highest bidders on my conscience, in almost new condition, barely used, who wants to start the bidding?

My senses of decency and self respect will be sold separately

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:46:00 UTC | #193357

schmeer's Avatar Comment 4 by schmeer

I would have settled for a large pizza. Did Hell Pizza place the final bid for $456? Good deal for the seller.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:51:00 UTC | #193358

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 5 by DamnDirtyApe

Bah, don't sell yourself short fellas!

Soul for sale, £50000 ono. One previous owner.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:55:00 UTC | #193360

Wosret's Avatar Comment 6 by Wosret

Wow, wish someone would give me 3,800 for free.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:09:00 UTC | #193365

evolver23's Avatar Comment 7 by evolver23

If I read it correctly, I think they offered him $3800. Brilliant. I'm going to start a business selling deeds to invisible things that don't exist. Maybe I'll call it Invisiworld...

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:16:00 UTC | #193370

eclampusvitus's Avatar Comment 8 by eclampusvitus

Of course, the market rate for souls is $666.

ECV

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:35:00 UTC | #193378

konquererz's Avatar Comment 9 by konquererz

damn it! I sold my sold to some doofus at work for 15 bucks because I needed lunch money! ARG! I didn't know I could get thousands of dollars for it!

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:09:00 UTC | #193388

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 10 by mordacious1

You guys, our souls aren't worth shit, because we are all heading to hell anyway. The only souls that have value, are the souls, like Ted Haggart's who has been born again, and again in jesus and are for sure heading for heaven. People don't want a black, ravaged soul like mine...they want a crisp clean, white soul...like Tony Blairs.

But, if this Pizza chain wants my soul, they can have it for a large pizza and a couple of cold beers.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:23:00 UTC | #193392

Your_Noodly_Master's Avatar Comment 11 by Your_Noodly_Master

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:28:00 UTC | #193395

Jaz's Avatar Comment 12 by Jaz

This isn't a new idea/joke really. I guess this guy had just finished watching the Simpsons episode "Bart Sells His Soul"

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:33:00 UTC | #193400

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 13 by KRKBAB

"Overwhelming number of complaints from the TradeMe community"? Your kidding, right? THIS is a perfect place for TOTAL ridicule at the religious community. I think ridicule (as R.D. suggests)isn't always a good tactic, but here it's PERFECT. I'd love to say to some one- You believe in SOULS? I can't freakin' believe it. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard- and then wait for their response.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:42:00 UTC | #193403

Faithhead's Avatar Comment 14 by Faithhead

Love it!!
Me next!!

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:18:00 UTC | #193424

crazy4blues's Avatar Comment 15 by crazy4blues

Okay, fine. But what about depreciation? What about the re-sale value???

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:18:00 UTC | #193425

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 16 by Border Collie

Good grief ...

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:26:00 UTC | #193430

cyberguy's Avatar Comment 17 by cyberguy

I had the same idea about a year ago, but I thought it had been done already - at a similar time to when people started selling their virginity, etc, on eBay.

Your_Noodly_Master wrote "Shouldn't some Christian organization start offering to buy any loose souls that end up on the market in order to "save" them? We should start suggesting this to evangelicals we run across. Then there wouldn't be a supply vs. demand problem."

Maybe RD.net should become the leading online soul-broker in order to raise money for the RD Foundation? The main difficulties to maintaining the value of souls would be to stop individuals selling their soul repeatedly, and also verifying that a given "Deed of Soul" was genuine. Then you have a market.

The key to it though is putting the wind up the christians so they get in on the act. And if word got out that a satanist cult was buying up all the available souls you would have real competition in the marketplace.

The LDS might be interested as well...

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:59:00 UTC | #193439

Artifactorfiction's Avatar Comment 18 by Artifactorfiction

If every atheist were to sell his soul , on whatever, it would certainly raise our profile somewhat - it would be bound to make the news etc.

Probably the market in souls would collapse - too much on the supply side

But a few questions seem obvious...

....does the concept of depreciation apply when the goods are immortal?

....for the buyer, can this be offset against their tax burden (like a pension investment for example)

(Remember, the value of your investments can go down as well as up)

....can you use such acquired souls to pay of the debt of any sin redeemable at an unspecified future time?

Third parties could 'add value' to their product portfolio by praying (for the sins of the vendors of aforementioned soul goods), hence raising there market value etc.

In these times of tight credit, this could be just the commodity we need to stave of recession. You could go as far as to say it is our economic duty to start buying and selling souls.

A middleman could make a fortune....

....soul'd to the highest bidder

Whoops, sorry I'm just rambling now.

Anyway, I'd be lucky to cover postage and packaging costs ...

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:01:00 UTC | #193441

flobear's Avatar Comment 19 by flobear

Would the transfer of a soul be a taxable exchange in the US? Would someone have to report it to the IRS? Perhaps capital gains tax will be applied after a re-sale.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:27:00 UTC | #193453

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 20 by the great teapot

"CHIRISTIANS COMPLAIN SALE OF SOUL IN BAD TASTE"

This sort of thing makes my blood boil. All those europeans, sorry, christians- they all look the same to me, if they don't like it why don't they all **** off back home?

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:59:00 UTC | #193464

Ansu's Avatar Comment 21 by Ansu

You could start a company that deal exclusively with soul selling. You could put a price on it and display a simbol of ownership somewhere everyone can see it and let the free market decide the price of each soul. Then you could add something funny like nicknaming the soul you own and... OMG FACEBOOK APLICATION FRIENDS FOR SALE IS STEALING OUR SOULS!!!!

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:06:00 UTC | #193467

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 22 by irate_atheist

Quality. The man's a genius.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:10:00 UTC | #193469

cyberguy's Avatar Comment 23 by cyberguy

A soul futures market?

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:15:00 UTC | #193472

Alovrin's Avatar Comment 24 by Alovrin

TradeMe business manager Michael O'Donnell said the company had received an "overwhelming number of complaints from the TradeMe community."

Thats New Zealand for you.
70%, according to a spokesperson for the catholic church, follow some religious faith. I think she was including muslims as well.
NZers are so inclusive.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:30:00 UTC | #193478

aprilmb's Avatar Comment 25 by aprilmb

Re: Comment #203632 by evolver23 on July 3, 2008 at 9:16 am

Great idea, but if you really want to sell invisible things that don't exist let's sell god. That ought to fetch a good price.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:31:00 UTC | #193479

tahustvedt's Avatar Comment 26 by tahustvedt

Isn't that fraud? :)

I wonder if there're any legal implications with selling my soul multiple times.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:33:00 UTC | #193480

Artifactorfiction's Avatar Comment 28 by Artifactorfiction

It would add a new dimension to identity theft - someone could steal your details and then sell your soul

You could build a fake identity (find someone who died young who was born at a similar time as yourself and start applying for birth certificates etc) - then you could sell their soul...?

This needs a regulatory body :-)

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:37:00 UTC | #193482

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 27 by Don_Quix

Hmmm. Since the Mormons can get away with posthumously baptizing people, I wonder if I could get away with selling deeds to other peoples' souls.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:37:00 UTC | #193481

aprilmb's Avatar Comment 29 by aprilmb

Oops! I forgot that the selling of god is already THE major industry in the world.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:45:00 UTC | #193484

tahustvedt's Avatar Comment 30 by tahustvedt

There's a place in Norway called Hell. It's nearby the place I went to boot camp. Fitting, because boot camp is almost Hell. I took the train through Hell station many times and there's a sign that says: "Hell. Gods ekpedisjon." Which I thought was funny.

(Gods is norwegian for goods, and ekspedisjon is norwegian for expedition)

Hell was cold and wet, BTW.

Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:03:00 UTC | #193490