← Landlords protest after pub swearing ban gets them sacked

Landlords protest after pub swearing ban gets them sacked - Comments

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 1 by mordacious1

ok, I withdraw my complaint about Latest News

[edit] Patron: "You serve some fine fucking beer here."
Matron: "Thanks, now get out and don't come back."

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:32:00 UTC | #195973

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 2 by Tezcatlipoca

But is the beer any good?

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:36:00 UTC | #195977

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 3 by Apathy personified

I knew a landlord who had taught his pet parrot to swear... you have no idea how funny it is to hear a parrot tell someone to fuck off

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:42:00 UTC | #195983

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 4 by rod-the-farmer

What possessed (pun intended) this couple to take on management of a pub in the first place ? Were they so busy having children they never got out much, and had no clue what might go on in a pub ? Maybe they never went in one ? I guess their favourite TV show is NOT The Sopranos. Next on their list of management jobs, a garage. After that, a military barracks. And the beat goes on.

Civil discourse is always admirable, but to ban profanity.....gee whillikers, Batman. They could try a voluntary piggy bank for curse words, the proceeds to be given to a local charity, perhaps. Who knows, maybe all patrons would support it.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:44:00 UTC | #195986

decius's Avatar Comment 5 by decius

Comment #206462 by Apathy personified

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:46:00 UTC | #195989

obscured by clouds's Avatar Comment 6 by obscured by clouds

Yes I do! I have a 3yr Green-Wing Macaw ;)~

Maybe one day I can get it on video, it is funny.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:57:00 UTC | #195998

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 7 by Apathy personified

decius,
Haha - Thanks for the video

obscured by clouds,
I hope when people go around to your place for the first time they look at the parrot and go,
'Aww, so cute'
and then the parrot gives them an opinion!

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:31:00 UTC | #196029

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 8 by Bonzai

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:36:00 UTC | #196036

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 9 by Colwyn Abernathy

John Fleming, 44, and his wife Krista, 36, both devout Christians, decided that foul language was beyond the pale at the King's Head and started barring any customers who broke the rule.

Feckin' idiot cunts...banned? Fine! I'll drink elsewhere, you tits...
EDIT:
It was supposed to make for a nicer atmosphere but regulars disagreed and the pub emptied.

In VERY colourful language, I'd wager. George'd be proud. "Blue...OFF-colour..."
EDITEDIT:
The couple denied the swearing ban had anything to do with their religion and added takings had plummeted because the pub had lost its Sky TV, a credit card machine and the brewery had given them an inconsistent drinks supply.

Yet...

"She put a sign up outside saying no swearing," he said. "This pub in the last eight days has perked up 100 per cent. All of the old regulars are back.

Nothing to do with the shitfucking ban, eh? Do me a lemon then...right, I need a piss...

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:39:00 UTC | #196039

Mango's Avatar Comment 10 by Mango

Bonzai, I'm a little perplexed about that as well. I presume that in the UK a "landlord" is an operator (or caretaker) but not the owner.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:44:00 UTC | #196044

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 11 by mordacious1

I think a lot of the breweries actually own pubs around, so they have an outlet for their beer. These guys were probably leasing.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:47:00 UTC | #196046

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 12 by Colwyn Abernathy

Mordacious....have to add this in, even tho you can't hear it... "O Matron, yeeess!" ;)

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:47:00 UTC | #196047

Monty Burns's Avatar Comment 13 by Monty Burns

Some landlords are tenants of the brewery which owns the pub. They also tell you which beers you can sell.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:48:00 UTC | #196048

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 14 by Bonzai

Some landlords are tenants of the brewery which owns the pub.

I think it must be a U.K usage. In the arrangement you describe we would say the brewery IS the landlord.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:52:00 UTC | #196053

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 15 by Tezcatlipoca

Ugh, I need a good beer at a decent temperature...dammit!

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:59:00 UTC | #196060

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 16 by Border Collie

Damn, now this is big news ...

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:31:00 UTC | #196092

D'Arcy's Avatar Comment 17 by D'Arcy

The Flemings have been together for seven years and have six children. Three of the children live with them above the pub in Islington.

Now that is a fucking miracle, unless of course divine intervention (or other human partners) explain it. People that breed like that and only look after 3 of their 7 children, have no fucking right to tell me whether to swear or not. As it happens I don't go in their pub, nor will I.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:50:00 UTC | #196133

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 18 by Szymanowski

'Landlord' in this context means 'pub manager'. Pubs are often owned by breweries, which have control of which beers are sold. Brewery-independent pubs are called "free houses".

In other contexts in the UK 'landlord' has the normal definition of a property owner who leases property.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:38:00 UTC | #196152

JackR's Avatar Comment 19 by JackR

Awww. Poor little martyrs.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:46:00 UTC | #196154

cafeeine's Avatar Comment 20 by cafeeine

8. Comment #206516 by Bonzai Am I missing something? I think being the landlord means you own the property by definition, so how can anyone evict the landlord?

The idea of landlords as paid employees is not that uncommon. If a building is owned by a large corporation it makes sense that the person taking care of the landlord's duties will be a paid employee (older readers might remember Don Knotts in the sitcom 'Three's Company')

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:48:00 UTC | #196190

riki's Avatar Comment 21 by riki

They should give the gambling industry a try next time. If that fails they could always open a brothel.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:35:00 UTC | #196218

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 22 by Bonzai

Here we call such a person a superintendent or simply property manager. "Landlord" always means the owner (person or corporation).Different usage.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:42:00 UTC | #196222

King of NH's Avatar Comment 23 by King of NH

Oh, foul language...

I thought it was maybe a rule against making promises when drunk (I swear babe [refering to some indescretion]! -or- I swear I'll buy the next round). That made sense, and I didn't see what the problem was. This would be a good ban.

But foul language? Odd. The Landlords might be offended by "Fuckin' good beer" but I'm rather offended by "God bless you." Who's to decide what the more offensive? Answer: the customer. Now shut up... ...bitches.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:15:00 UTC | #196289

utelme's Avatar Comment 24 by utelme

I wonder if they sell the same port my wife bought in her wilder days. It has the label "Fucking Good Port..Good Fucking Port". Tastes ok too!

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 22:05:00 UTC | #196322

Apemanblues's Avatar Comment 25 by Apemanblues

Their next venture should be running a whorehouse where you can't take your pants off.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:14:00 UTC | #196342

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 26 by DamnDirtyApe

My cousin took over a pub on Islay, way way out on the edge of the Scottish hebredian isles.

The old landlady had a few rules. perhaps the dominant one was NO TALKING.

I gather they've taken a rather different approach in management ever since.

Wed, 09 Jul 2008 00:04:00 UTC | #196362

bamboospitfire's Avatar Comment 27 by bamboospitfire

And what are the chances that the level of swearing in that pub has now gone significantly up? What a pair of utter morons.

On the landlord issue, the term is used to refer to the managers of pubs owned by breweries because historically the owner of the property would act as the pub manager and would also rent out rooms in the property. That is still the case in privately-owned pubs, but the terminology is also applied to the managers of brewery-owned pubs, not least because "bar manager" is a fucking hideous term.

Wed, 09 Jul 2008 04:04:00 UTC | #196450

Peter L's Avatar Comment 28 by Peter L

Guess they weren't 'landlords' at a weatherspoons pub (Large atmosphere sucking pub chain in UK which I think I remember banning swearing - not that you'd know if you ever went in one).

I think the title landlord has been pretty well discussed now but most people in the UK would use the term to describe the people in charge of the pub. I would think of it just as the traditional title.

Wed, 09 Jul 2008 05:01:00 UTC | #196490

V'Ger's Avatar Comment 29 by V'Ger

^ Haha... I've got a crappy Weatherspoons near me (who hasn't right?).

One look inside - and you'd also think they must have banned women too ;-)

Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:06:00 UTC | #196607

alan baylis's Avatar Comment 30 by alan baylis

The article only tells part of the tale.

I heard that when people asked to have their glass refilled, the landlady was often heard to say something like "what, another one? You've had two already. It isn't good for you, you know!"

Not really. Just kidding. :)))

Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:20:00 UTC | #196791