← Atheism on the buses

Atheism on the buses - Comments

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 1 by mordacious1

ok, yes need more ads like this.

The bus, being asked, said, "Damn right I'm an atheist, it's just the junkyard for me". But what about recycling, that's an afterlife, isn't it?

Bus: "No, you idiot, it's the circle of life, and I think this is your stop".

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:06:00 UTC | #196007

JLD Calgary's Avatar Comment 2 by JLD Calgary

Great initiative! I would love to know how this turns out or if there are any problems encountered trying to purchase the space.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:08:00 UTC | #196010

Big City's Avatar Comment 3 by Big City

I'd donate, even though I'm American, if I knew they would be allowed to purchase an ad that said that.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:18:00 UTC | #196019

Luthien's Avatar Comment 5 by Luthien

Signed! It's worth a fiver just for the entertainment value!

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:26:00 UTC | #196025

Pidge's Avatar Comment 4 by Pidge

Fantastic idea. It really is time for Atheists to start getting media savvy and actually donating to their cause.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:26:00 UTC | #196024

SpiderBrigade's Avatar Comment 6 by SpiderBrigade

The sad thing is that every time atheists (or even agnostics) try something like this the religious get offended and claim they're being oppressed by those "aggressive atheist fundamentalists."

Doesn't mean it's not a great idea though!

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:31:00 UTC | #196028

Pidge's Avatar Comment 7 by Pidge

It is a good idea. A message needs to be repeated over and over again before it really starts to sink in. Religions do this through ceremony, schools, television stations and radio stations - us atheists do not - and it is time we did. It would be great to start with an atheist radio channel.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:35:00 UTC | #196034

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 8 by Colwyn Abernathy

"Help help! I'm being oppressed! Even tho I'm part of the majority and enjoy the same right to believe as I want...j-just stop making fun of me! Waaaaaaaahh!"

said a spokesman...

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:37:00 UTC | #196038

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 9 by mordacious1

I was going to take the bus to the pub where they didn't allow swearing, but now I'll just have to stay home. (sigh)

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:44:00 UTC | #196043

bujin's Avatar Comment 10 by bujin

The Muslims have been going mental over a picture of a puppy sitting in a policeman's hat. Imagine how they'll react to an advert informing them that there's no God!

And yeah, the 2 billion Christians in the world will whinge about being oppressed again, despite the sheer number of pro-theistic adverts scatterered around the globe!

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:52:00 UTC | #196054

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 11 by Colwyn Abernathy

Imagine how they'll react to an advert informing them that there's no God!

And it's not even a FLAT OUT denial, just a probability. I'd add a Yank stint to it with a "QUITCHABITCHIN" somewhere.

EDIT: There's akshuly a group in the States that's called "Coalition Against Anti-Christian Rhetoric". Wonder what they'd have to say...ah, fuck 'em, who's up for a pint? Can we swear in that one pub again?

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:56:00 UTC | #196059

Nova's Avatar Comment 12 by Nova

I would prefer "There is no God", is the "probably" just conceding something to agnostics? I know we technically can't know, but we technically can't technically know for certain anything other than our own existence ("I think, therefore I am"), but that means nothing when god's nonexistence is beyond reasonable doubt, when children run out of their rooms to their parents bedrooms scared of the monster under the bed, the parents don't say the monster under the bed "probably" doesn't exist.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:20:00 UTC | #196081

bitbutter's Avatar Comment 13 by bitbutter

Signed.

The beauty of pledge bank is that you will only have to transfer the money once enough people have pledged too, so you can be reasonably sure it won't go to waste.

This is a discussion that needs to be had, and a sign on a london bus would help stimulate that.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:24:00 UTC | #196086

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 14 by rod-the-farmer

4,680 atheists to contribute £5 each, that would pay for an ad on a London bendy bus for a two weeks.

That works out to 23,400 POUNDS for a two week advert. Good GRIEF. I didn't want to BUY the bus, just post a sign on it. Tell you what. I have a 20 foot long enclosed trailer, which I use to haul my race car to tracks around Ontario, New York, Ohio and Michigan. For the same money, I will put this sign and any others that will fit, on the front, back, both sides and even the roof. I will keep them on for a year, PLUS, we can use the body of the race car for whatever signs will fit. Please send your contributions (along with any suggested messages) via PayPal. PayPal ID will be supplied to those wishing to donate.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:30:00 UTC | #196091

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 15 by Border Collie

Good for a smile ...

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:32:00 UTC | #196095

Captain Kendrick's Avatar Comment 16 by Captain Kendrick

Cool, I like the sentiment, but I can't justify raising that kind of money to plaster George Carlin'ish sound-bites around town. If I had the money to pledge, I would rather spend it on funds to defend folks like Mark Steyn and others being railroaded because they hurt some Islamic religious feelings in Canada, or to buy spines for the Scottish Police so they can stand up to outraged Muslims over photos of cute puppies, or to make sure that creationism stays out of the public schools and that my kids actually get real educations.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:13:00 UTC | #196116

Captain Kendrick's Avatar Comment 17 by Captain Kendrick

"Tell you what. I have a 20 foot long enclosed trailer, which I use to haul my race car to tracks around Ontario, New York, Ohio and Michigan. For the same money, I will put this sign and any others that will fit, on the front, back, both sides and even the roof."

rod-the-farmer:

How well would THAT go over with the NASCAR set ????? Excuse me if I'm stereotyping too much, but I can just picture Bubba standing outside his F-350 telling you "ya'll have anything to say 'bout *MY* God, then we have a problem!"

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:46:00 UTC | #196129

notsobad's Avatar Comment 18 by notsobad

They need to come up with a wittier and more offensive slogan than this.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:49:00 UTC | #196131

MorituriMax's Avatar Comment 19 by MorituriMax

I would put this on the side of the Bus,

"God SACRIFICED his Son so he could bring him BACK to LIFE 3 days later. Is that commitment or what?"

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:50:00 UTC | #196132

jonworth's Avatar Comment 20 by jonworth

Just a word of explanation... All of this started out as a rather far-fetched but sweet idea in a column on The Guardian's website by Ariane Sherine. There was no strategy, no campaign.

I liked the idea, made the pledge on PledgeBank, and made the bus mockup image. Since then things have, well, spread rather widely.

But please, please don't take this too seriously. Were it ever to happen we would have to work out a better slogan, but it's a long way from happening. By even raising the idea we've achieved something small. Smile about that and have some fun dreaming up some slogans, and then if and when we have a full campaign together we can work out the practicalities...

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:59:00 UTC | #196139

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 21 by Szymanowski

Good for you.

What happens to the money if this project falls through?

EDIT: I thought it was a donations site, but it's merely a 'pledge' site. A better question would be: how do you gather the money when all pledges are made?!

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:18:00 UTC | #196144

mrjonno's Avatar Comment 22 by mrjonno

Hmm I was about to say that Transport for London don't allow 'political' adverts on their system but there are a few Jesus prayers for the day around.

I suspect they would block an atheist one and it would make an interesting case due to their mixed private/public status

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:08:00 UTC | #196172

Angelic_Atheist's Avatar Comment 23 by Angelic_Atheist

Isnt FFRF doing something similar with bilboards?

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:49:00 UTC | #196191

Ed-words's Avatar Comment 24 by Ed-words

FFRF.ORG is putting up atheist billboards

in state capitols throughout the U.S.

Go! Go! Go! Go!

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:20:00 UTC | #196213

Ned Flanders's Avatar Comment 25 by Ned Flanders

Bus slogan:

"GOD. WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU?"

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:53:00 UTC | #196228

Ed-words's Avatar Comment 27 by Ed-words

NEWSFLASH

Another atheist billboard is now

on display! (in SEATTLE)

And two are planned for the convention sites, Denver and the Twin Cities.

"KEEP RELIGION OUT OF POLITICS (FFRF)"

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:16:00 UTC | #196239

Vandemeer's Avatar Comment 26 by Vandemeer

Along the same vein a couple of years ago my atheist friends and I considered buying a billboard to respond to the stupid god billboards that appear all over town. This video is a great response.

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:16:00 UTC | #196238

King of NH's Avatar Comment 28 by King of NH

In most of NH they don't allow billboards, and the bus and trolley have no outside adverts. It's hard to make any statements large enough to gain attention. The Scarlet Letter seems the best choice (especially since the book was written here).

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:06:00 UTC | #196285

militant_agnostic's Avatar Comment 29 by militant_agnostic

I've added my name. As for the content of the add, I'd like to see a variation on a cartoon I can no longer find on-line.

3 religious men standing in conference, looking sage and wise and venerable, a priest, a rabbi and an imam, standing in front of them is a small child saying "Aren't you a bit old to be playing with imaginary friends?"

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:51:00 UTC | #196304

MelM's Avatar Comment 30 by MelM

I wouldn't contribute anything unless the "probably" is removed. A corollary of "probably doesn't exist" is "possibly does exist". Agnosticism!!!

A god acting at all in the universe, would contradict the natures of things and is absurd. This is exactly the same reason that god is in direct conflict with science. If god did anything then the correct (true, valid) explanation of the event or condition or creation is "god did it" and scientifc naturalism would be false: scientists could propose as many naturalistic explanations as desired, but, they would all be wrong. This issue shows up at the detail level where "life after death" contradicts what we know about life and "walking on water" contradicts what we know about floatation,...
Scientists have one reality in common and can eventually converge but religion has no reality to study and just stays batshit crazy.

By creating a world of fantasy miracles, religion rejects our understanding of the world we actually live in--the one we must understand if we are to stay out of the caves and avoid shitting in our own water supply. Holy men attack the fundamental efficacy of reason (offering faith as a substitute--follow Jesus or Mo; don't think) and put off the reward for moral action until death; what could be more destructive?

Surely, contradicting things that we know and having no evidence (making it an arbitrary assertion), is enough to claim that "god doesn't exist."

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:03:00 UTC | #196306