← PLEASE WRITE IN SUPPORT OF PZ MYERS

PLEASE WRITE IN SUPPORT OF PZ MYERS - Comments

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 1 by rod-the-farmer

E-mail sent to the Pres......

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:26:00 UTC | #197433

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 2 by Matt H.

I would send him an email, but I have no idea what to write! After all, the guy could be a Christian himself.

All luck to PZ though, personally I think he's brilliant.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:27:00 UTC | #197435

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 3 by IaninPA

PZ - Done, (by e-mail), with my full name and address given.

Oh and this:

I even have one email that says I should be fired, that the author would like to kill me, and that I only criticize because Catholics are so gentle and kind.

Superb!

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:28:00 UTC | #197437

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 4 by IaninPA

Matt7895...

Just keep it polite and positive in support of PZ rather than negative in attack of those calling for PZ's firing.

Just my two cents...

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:32:00 UTC | #197440

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 5 by Richard Dawkins

Please join this letter writing campaign, bearing in mind PZ's request to be polite and literate, and to use our own names, not pseudonyms.

Richard

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:36:00 UTC | #197446

Cyril's Avatar Comment 6 by Cyril

I just wrote to the President as follows:
Dear President Bruininks,

I am writing in defense of P Z Myers regarding the controversy with certain Catholics and others of similar persuasion in the matter of communion wafers (crackers).

While religious authorities and spokespersons have no problem denigrating other human beings, homosexuals for example, they become highly irrate if anyone dares to consider their own beliefs and rituals equally abhorent or at the very least meaningless and without rational basis.

Any effort of these people to demand the dismissal or censure of P Z Myers through their self righteous furvor should be totally disregarded by the University.

I hope you will consider this plea in your deliberations.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:45:00 UTC | #197454

Ascaphus's Avatar Comment 7 by Ascaphus

Something like

To:
President Robert H. Bruininks
202 Morrill Hall
100 Church Street S.E.
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455

I have read about the threats against one of your employees, P.Z. Myers, and I am writing in support of any actions you need to take in order to protect Dr. Myers and others who may be the target of physical violence and slanderous campaigns due to religious irrationality. I trust that Dr. Myers and others will be given full right of response to any accusations against them.

I wish to thank Dr. Myers for continuing to point out the dangers of unchecked religious thought and behavior in our society.

Will that do?

Matt

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:47:00 UTC | #197456

Agathodemon's Avatar Comment 8 by Agathodemon

Sent email in support. Bill Donohue is an ass, and braying defines him perfectly. There is a wonderful YouTube video in which he wants to take Christopher Hitchens and fight him [probably behind a bar]. During the exchange he repeatedly says that when an Irishman speaks an Englishman must be quiet. If he represents the Catholic League, the organization must be very hard up for brains.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:52:00 UTC | #197461

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 9 by Steve Zara

Comment #208060 by Richard Dawkins

Would contributions from those of us who aren't in the USA help?

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:55:00 UTC | #197463

testonepatella's Avatar Comment 10 by testonepatella

I have just sent an email to President Bruininks and hope many others will too.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:56:00 UTC | #197465

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 11 by IaninPA

Comment #208077 by Steve Zara

Would contributions from those of us who aren't in the USA help?

I can't see Richard asking us to write if he hasn't done so already, and he's not in the USA.

:-)

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:59:00 UTC | #197467

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 12 by Richard Dawkins

Would contributions from those of us who aren't in the USA help?

I don't know, but I have just written. It surely couldn't do any harm, and I think it would probably help in showing that PZ Myers has a high international reputation.

Richard

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:00:00 UTC | #197468

rushfan2112's Avatar Comment 14 by rushfan2112

Once again the Catholic league is a source of amusment. If it's not chocolate jesus, it's going after a guy who insulted what goes best with a bowl of chili.

I am waiting for Nabisco's responce to the hubbub. LOL

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:01:00 UTC | #197470

Am I Evil?'s Avatar Comment 13 by Am I Evil?

Email sent, with pleasure. And I'm in the UK - I think worldwide emails would only add to the support. Go for it Steve!

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:01:00 UTC | #197469

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 16 by al-rawandi

I think he should take the Catholics to court and demand that they PROVE that the cracker is actually Jesus. Because desecration of sacred symbols is not illegal, so they have to prove it is like Jesus' eyelid or something.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:08:00 UTC | #197475

Am I Evil?'s Avatar Comment 15 by Am I Evil?

Just reading some of the comments on the Pharyngula blog, the nice 'wouldn't hut a fly' catholics are coming out with the death threats already.

Just as bad as the Islam Cartoons to be honest.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:08:00 UTC | #197473

lordfenriz's Avatar Comment 17 by lordfenriz

Email sent:

President Bruininks,

I fully support Professor PZ Myers and his recent blog post that condemns the ridiculous antics of the Catholic League. Professor Myers' blog, Pharyngula, provides a refreshing drop of reason into the reeking and stagnant pool that is the American public square, which is overflowing with religious superstition. Professor Myers is an important voice. Religious fanatics, emboldened by our country's rights concerning freedom of conscience, seem to confuse respect for an individual's right to follow his/her conscience with respect for the ideas formed by his/her conscience. This common misconception shelters dangerous ideas from criticism and is the essence of the privacy and liberty fallacies discussed in Austin Dacey's great book, "The Secular Conscience." According to Dacey, "The result of these misconceptions about privacy and freedom is a culture unwilling or unable to sustain a real public conversation about religion, ethics, and values. What culture can survive without that conversation?"

Wolf S. von Pankow

Palo Alto, California

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:10:00 UTC | #197476

righton's Avatar Comment 18 by righton

Do you really think the president of a university is going to fire PZ because some catholics are sending him letters?

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:11:00 UTC | #197478

BaldySlaphead's Avatar Comment 19 by BaldySlaphead

Email sent, with pleasure.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:15:00 UTC | #197482

dom1234's Avatar Comment 20 by dom1234

Dear President Robert H. Bruininks,

I am writting you this e-mail to support one of your employees and his blog, Dr. PZ Myers, in his action for "cracker's equal rights". I believe that equality and freedom of speech are the basis of our democratic society, and that no craker is above or under others crakers. Therefore, I hope you will take into consideration this aspect in your decision about complaints that some Catholics made about him (and his view that an Eucharist is not worthy of making threat of physical violence on people).

I am also worried about death threats that Dr. Myers received (I hope these threats will be considered in the procces).

With all due respect,
Dominique Poulin, Quebec city, Quebec, Canada.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:17:00 UTC | #197483

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 22 by Chrysippus_Maximus

Mr. Donohue's statement speaks for itself:

It is hard to think of anything more vile than to intentionally desecrate the Body of Christ.

Sure, that follows when your mental capacity is described by the first five words of that statement.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:19:00 UTC | #197486

Am I Evil?'s Avatar Comment 21 by Am I Evil?

@18 - Righton

Perhaps not, but I think PZ still deserves our support for giving an opposing voice to the mindless treadmill of religion. If they want to conduct a witch-hunt (so very them), then the least we can do is express our support.

At least, so say I.

ps - would love to see that inbox right now!

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:19:00 UTC | #197485

Goldy's Avatar Comment 24 by Goldy

Email sent - from NZ :-) Should have sent a postcard instead, methinks... something for his wall or fridge door ;-)

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:20:00 UTC | #197490

Telf's Avatar Comment 23 by Telf

Excellent work everyone. I shall compose and send mine directly.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:20:00 UTC | #197487

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 25 by Chrysippus_Maximus

take the time to proofread

... based on the examples I've seen in the comments here, the directions are not being followed very well.

(Just saying...)

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:21:00 UTC | #197491

8teist's Avatar Comment 27 by 8teist

Hell, I am so naive I did`nt even realize that cato-holics were cannibals .

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:23:00 UTC | #197494

maton100's Avatar Comment 26 by maton100

Bill has had enough Honey Grahams. The party is over big boy.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:23:00 UTC | #197493

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 29 by IaninPA

Comment #208099 by Am I Evil

Yes, exactly my view.

Too many academics will not raise their head above the parapet in my opinion; especially in America where they really need to do so.

Those that do need our complete support.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:24:00 UTC | #197496

ivellios's Avatar Comment 28 by ivellios

#208068 by Cyril

You forgot to use the spell checker.

abhorrent
irate
fervor

correct spellings

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:24:00 UTC | #197495

Paula Kirby's Avatar Comment 30 by Paula Kirby

I have emailed too.

The line in Bill Donohue's diatribe that stood out most for me was

[PZ]is responding to what happened recently at the University of Central Florida when a student walked out of Mass with the Host, holding it hostage for several days [My emphasis]
A cracker was held hostage? I do hope it didn't crumble under the pressure.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:25:00 UTC | #197497