← Thousands Flock to Revival in Search of Miracles

Thousands Flock to Revival in Search of Miracles - Comments

coodgee's Avatar Comment 1 by coodgee

Fucking Charlatans

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:10:00 UTC | #197777

Jamie V's Avatar Comment 2 by Jamie V

Not a single claim of Bentley's healing powers could be independently verified.

Bingo!

Bentley seems to have had a horrible life growing up, yet he managed to break the cycle on his own. Trouble is, he'll never see it that way.

If people would realise that the power to change their lives for the better came from within themselves and not from an imaginary higher power, it would do no end of good for their self-esteem. It saddens me that religious beliefs not only stop people taking responsibility for their own thoughts and prejudices, but it also robs them of any genuine feeling of self-achievement.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:20:00 UTC | #197781

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 3 by scottishgeologist

Also worth pointing out that there are a lot of Christians who are very suspicious of this guy. In my own faith-head days, I was very much a "cessationist" . This sort of charismatic crap really took off with the "Toronto Blessing" in the early 90s - there have been huge amounts of charismaniac madness since

Its all part of the lying "signs and wonders" movement. There are entire websites devoted to decrying this sort of thing.

Its just lies heaped on bullshit stacked on deception underpinned by gullibility and most unfortunately, in some cases, desperation for a cure.

Wonder what clearthinker's take is on all this? He's a crypto-charismaniac anyway...

Come on, speak up....

:-)

SG

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:31:00 UTC | #197790

HitbLade's Avatar Comment 4 by HitbLade

WILL THEY EVER LEARN!?

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:44:00 UTC | #197797

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 5 by rod-the-farmer

Missing from the article is any detail about what funds this operation. Do people pay to attend, or just pay to "be healed" ? If I walk with a limp, can I claim that "My knee is the root of all evil" ?
No one ever went wrong over-estimating the gullibility of humans.

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:45:00 UTC | #197798

King of NH's Avatar Comment 6 by King of NH

One of them is Bill Wise. He patiently tended his desperately ill baby daughter throughout the long night's revival. He listened for a call from Bentley offering a cure for his child's condition. But it never came.

This is wrong. This is why religion is sick. Religion doesn't help people cope, it helps them hide from reality, an overall devastating strategy. Whose lack of faith will Mr Wise blame for his daughter's death?

Bently should be thrown in prison for false medical claims. I would be if I sold homemade pills as a cure for anything.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:14:00 UTC | #197812

Johan's Avatar Comment 7 by Johan

"God found me in my drug dealer's trailer and spoke to me in an audible voice,"

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where that voice came from.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:27:00 UTC | #197819

black wolf's Avatar Comment 8 by black wolf

A guy damages his brain with hard drugs for years and then hears a voice in his head one day...
Of course it must be a miracle.

He learned a good lesson from his past: you get sent to jail for committing crimes. If you don't like that, go find the next best job that gets the cash rolling in without actually working for it or learning anything. No taxes, official protection to fleece your fellow people with simple stage performance, no requirement to actually deliver what you promise - the best job in the world (and one of the oldest ever invented). If you're unscrupulous enough to do it. Almost as good as getting paid by the taxpayers via the government for transforming crackers into crackers.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:36:00 UTC | #197825

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 9 by irate_atheist

Total fucktards.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:39:00 UTC | #197827

8teist's Avatar Comment 10 by 8teist

There`s a fucktard born every minute , and it don`t look like slowing down.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:48:00 UTC | #197837

mikecbraun's Avatar Comment 11 by mikecbraun

Bam! Bam, bam, bam! ???
Does this guy throw essence on people? Do they cheer for extra garlic? Emeril might have a juicy lawsuit on his hands...

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:00:00 UTC | #197843

8teist's Avatar Comment 12 by 8teist

I wonder how much it costs to have a severed nerve repaired by a miracle?

Is there a website where I can find a pricelist for assorted miracles?

I wonder, does he do plastic miracles? Perhaps a couple of 44DDs for the girlfriend.
OOpps better not let the wife see that last one.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:02:00 UTC | #197844

notsobad's Avatar Comment 13 by notsobad

Stupid is as stupid does, eh.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:07:00 UTC | #197847

GordonYKWong's Avatar Comment 14 by GordonYKWong

"Even if we don't see any change, in the immediate run here, sometimes prayer is cumulative," Wise said.

uh-huh...
...
...

Why don't Todd Bentley pray that god rid the world of Cancer, in one swoop, get rid of it all??... we can all pray together, it is all accumulative right?

What is this one at a time shit? Millions of cancer sufferer need healing now!

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:09:00 UTC | #197849

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 15 by The Truth, the light

Let's see him heal amputees.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:14:00 UTC | #197852

8teist's Avatar Comment 16 by 8teist

But Gordo that would be killing the goose that lays the golden eggs,what would Todd do with no sick people to rip off.

Having said that ,if you are stoopid enough to believe this bullshit there`s no hope for them anyhoo.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:15:00 UTC | #197853

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 17 by DamnDirtyApe

16. Comment #208518 by The Truth, the light on July 11, 2008 at 2:14 am

Damn, you beat me to it.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:17:00 UTC | #197855

mikecbraun's Avatar Comment 18 by mikecbraun

"God found me in my drug dealer's trailer and spoke to me in an audible voice," he said. "I was instantly delivered from drug and alcohol addiction, I never had one craving, not one withdrawal symptom, I was transformed from that man to the man that I am today."
"I see myself, you know, as a sinner saved by grace the same way the tax collectors, prostitutes and sinners were saved in the Bible," Bentley said.

It wasn't God, asshole, it was your common sense and evolutionarily-ingrained instinct of self-preservation. These jerks always want to show the world how they conquered some vice of their own, and then try to 'save' others from doing the same. I knew some missionaries when I lived in Russia (fellow Americans, of course, sponsored by their church on an adoption/evangelism mission), and they all had their little stories: "I used to be a sex addict, then I found Jesus." Oh yeah, where was he, and did he catch you masturbating? "I used to drink a lot, then I had a revelation one day." Yeah, buy me a beer and I'll listen to your tale. Better yet, buy me five. Why can't people like this ever give credit to themselves and the real people and possibly medications and programs that helped them turn their lives around, instead of thinking some divine creator is watching out for them? What are they afraid of? Talk about ego.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:17:00 UTC | #197856

Sproof's Avatar Comment 19 by Sproof

"And then he asked me to give him absolute proof that there is no God,"me.
No just-theory.

Bentley, would you ask a question like that?

Are you stupid? Any fool could easily answer you?

Right?

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 02:15:00 UTC | #197887

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 20 by scottishgeologist

Heres a thought - since this guy is presumably "healing" by Gods grace and through application of the Holy Spirit, send him out to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Next time there is a car bombing or an IED or whatever, send him in to resurrect the corpses and to put the shattered limbs back on.

Go on, pal, lets see you try. Nothing is too hard for God now is it?

"The word of the Lord came to Jeremiah "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh; is anything too hard for me?" from Jeremiah 32

Not holding my breath......

:-)
SG

PS: This is the 'tard that claimed that "God told him to get tatoos" Presumably the same God who says in Leviticus:

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD (Lev 19:28)

And yet people are taken in by this bullshit, lies and deceit...

None so blind as those who refuse to see.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 02:19:00 UTC | #197891

nalfeshnee's Avatar Comment 21 by nalfeshnee

Hitchens' "dog/cat" psychology argument (not sure it is his originally) is so spot on.

Dog phase: you are dirt and should obey your Lord. Whine and cower......
Cat phase: you are chosen and lovely and will live for ever! Strokey-stroke and purrrrr!!

Religion: a powerful appeal to our basest instincts.

People like Bentley are EXACTLY the kind of people I would expect to "get" religion.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 02:24:00 UTC | #197896

Duff's Avatar Comment 22 by Duff

I'll bet you all a dollar that in a couple of years, if not sooner, this "man of god" is caught doing something illegal. Probably doing drugs or not paying his taxes. They are all criminals.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 02:32:00 UTC | #197903

bobsully's Avatar Comment 23 by bobsully

Todd Bentley was in prison for sexually molesting a seven year old boy. A predator at an early age. Seems in prison he has learned to fine tune his assault with noise rather than boys. BAM, BAM, BAM... foolish people.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 03:09:00 UTC | #197925

Sproof's Avatar Comment 24 by Sproof

Bentley you big goof--me too; it's sort of like the quote from Wikipedia by Carl Jung:

"I can't do it better than Jesus."

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 04:13:00 UTC | #197953

wengerj's Avatar Comment 25 by wengerj

Wait a minute! If it's god's will for these people to be sick, why would he suddenly change his mind because some bozo asked him? If their god is all-knowing and all-wise, then they should just accept their infirmities as part of god's plan. I hate these phony jerks!

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 04:32:00 UTC | #197963

axeanne's Avatar Comment 26 by axeanne

Bring your crutches, wheel chairs and all ailments that can be faked. Then I will cure you.

Bring your daughter whose bladder and intestines are not inside of her body, but outside, you are SOL.

check out www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 04:44:00 UTC | #197971

BW022's Avatar Comment 27 by BW022

Wow... tens of thousands of people taking their children to see a sex offender?

I'm curious, but why did US immigration let someone with a criminal record of into the US? Lots of folks can't get in due to parking tickets and this guy sexually abused a child?

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 05:55:00 UTC | #198029

j.mills's Avatar Comment 28 by j.mills

But she is deaf.

"She was onstage last night around 11 o'clock," Carter said. "Todd prayed for her, and she said she actually felt fire and heat in her right ear."

Darn it! If only they'd prayed just a little bit harder, God might not have been such a teasing bastard.

Like Hitchens said, you can't refute it, only underline it.

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:14:00 UTC | #198040

David J's Avatar Comment 29 by David J

Can I get a "placebo" anyone???

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:19:00 UTC | #198047

b0ltzm0n's Avatar Comment 30 by b0ltzm0n

Let's see him heal amputees.

God hates amputees. Didn't you get the memo?

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:33:00 UTC | #198059