← Why Islam Is Unfunny for a Cartoonist

Why Islam Is Unfunny for a Cartoonist - Comments

The Schuermannator's Avatar Comment 1 by The Schuermannator

I find it difficult to fathom that anybody with a brain inside their head could conclude that one must die over speaking words or drawing pictures of something they are in diagreement with. Ladies and gentleman, this is one reason (among many more) why Islam is dangerous.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:10:00 UTC | #211828

J Mac's Avatar Comment 2 by J Mac

suspicion that he violated a Dutch law that forbids discrimination on the basis of race, religion or sexual orientation.

Who exactly did he discriminate against? Doesn't there need to be a person involved for that crime... refusing someone a job or something of the like. Not just drawing on a website.

Once again I say we need to invest in the space program, build rockets, find planets that can sustain intelligent life (because this one can't) and then get the hell of this theist rock before it blows itself to bits.

I love when theists say I'm going to hell; I just respond "as long as there won't be any of you there." Heck, if all the intelligent people go to hell well be able to build an air conditioner. Couldn't be that bad.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:13:00 UTC | #211830

liberalartist's Avatar Comment 3 by liberalartist

I am wondering how the freedom of speech is outlined in Dutch government? In the US it is the first amendment of the consitution and would trump any "give-no-offence-to-others" type of law.

"The cartoonist deserves prosecution, he says, for "disgusting cartoons about our beloved prophet Muhammad, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him." Politicians who cry about free speech, he says, "shouldn't stick their noses into judicial matters."

Islam is a governmental system and not just a religion. To give way to it is to limit democracy and free speech. It is time Europe (and the rest of the world) to make a choice.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:15:00 UTC | #211832

Sage's Avatar Comment 4 by Sage

*sigh* not again...

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:18:00 UTC | #211835

J Mac's Avatar Comment 5 by J Mac

SHOULD, not WOULD. Because in fact it often does not.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:18:00 UTC | #211836

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 6 by rod-the-farmer

The prosecutor's office notes that it has also taken action against Muslims suspected of discrimination. A Moroccan-born Dutchman was recently convicted of discrimination for writing in a blog that homosexuals should be tossed from rooftops and thrown down stairs. A court ordered him to do community-service work.

So, that makes....one ? And one would therefore assume no one has complained about imams preaching death to apostates, limited rights for women, etc. etc. or any of the other nasty bits in shariah law ? I had up to now been an admirer of the Dutch.

If they don't do something about any imams who preach violence, I take it all back.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:19:00 UTC | #211838

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 7 by InYourFaceNewYorker

How much do you want to bet that this isn't about offending people, but about making sure that nothing gets blown up?

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:26:00 UTC | #211841

J Mac's Avatar Comment 8 by J Mac

I won't take that bet ... because you are right. But that is a bit backwards: Person A does something perfectly legal that might cause person B to kill dozens of people.

Seems to be person B is the one who needs to be locked up.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:28:00 UTC | #211842

LBraschi's Avatar Comment 9 by LBraschi

Seems to be person B is the one who needs to be locked up.

Wonderfuly expressed, J Mac. I loved that.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:20:00 UTC | #211850

8teist's Avatar Comment 10 by 8teist

"I never expected the Spanish Inquisition," recalls the cartoonist,

Nooooooooooooobody expects the spanish inquisition.

come on guys , a bit slack.
this is the 10th post

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:26:00 UTC | #211851

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 11 by thewhitepearl

nooooooooooooooobody expects the spanish inquisition!

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:31:00 UTC | #211854

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 12 by Border Collie

'a serious struggle of ideas going on for the future of Europe' ... If Islam takes over, there will be no European future ... well, not as we hope it might be ...

'How to handle Muslim sensitivities' ... You'll never get it 'right', so why try? It can't be done. Religious neuroses have no end and can never be satisfied.

'diversity officer' ... my ass.

'an attempt by authorities to soothe Muslims' ... again, religious neurosis cannot be 'soothed' ... it is a disease, an addiction ...

This is just the start. The 'political correctness industry' will simply become more and more obtuse in its enforcement of whatever it's enforcing and freedom will become more and more eroded.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:37:00 UTC | #211856

J Mac's Avatar Comment 13 by J Mac

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
-Thomas Jefferson (one of my personal heros)

Somehow I doubt this is what Jefferson had in mind: that governments fear the members of religious groups, to the extent that the government cedes tyranny to the religion.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:40:00 UTC | #211857

8teist's Avatar Comment 14 by 8teist

Pat Condell says it all in one of his rants.

What on earth is going on in the Netherlands? This is really quite unbelievable.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:44:00 UTC | #211859

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 15 by the great teapot

Jeez,
Nowt but Bridget Jones on the Box, I come here and its sliding doors revisted.
I am living in a chick flick.
(re No one expects....)

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:45:00 UTC | #211860

Sargeist's Avatar Comment 16 by Sargeist

Catholics piss me off, but usually make me laugh.
Muslims just scare me.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:46:00 UTC | #211861

J Mac's Avatar Comment 17 by J Mac

Catholics piss me off, but usually make me laugh.
Muslims just scare me.

And Jews just make me laugh.... without pissing me off. Somehow the oldest of the three religions seems to have the most sensibility and the best sense of humor.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:48:00 UTC | #211863

Auraboy's Avatar Comment 18 by Auraboy

Aggghhhhhhh.

I am seriously considering violent backlash soon. If only I wasn't so damn rational. These fucking nut jobs have it all their own way. The ability to totally lose it and behave however they like. It's enough to drive a sane man to killing people in the street. I suppose I should just take up religion and it'll all be alright then.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:51:00 UTC | #211866

Dinah's Avatar Comment 19 by Dinah

This time the state has stepped in to rein in the artist, rather than protect him

It is not always Muslims who are behind this kind of thing, but determined multiculturalists who believe that everybody's culture and religion (except possibly their own) deserve special protection from criticism and ridicule. Of course, this gives official approval to those Muslims who have a seemingly endless capacity to feel aggrieved about some real or imagined slight to their religion, and further undermines attempts by more secular-minded Muslims to bring Islam out of the dark ages.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:52:00 UTC | #211867

Fanusi Khiyal's Avatar Comment 20 by Fanusi Khiyal

This is not good, not good at all. Our politicos are falling over themselves in order to surrender to Islam. Why don't they just doff the yellow star or blue ribbon or whatever it is that atheist dhimmis have to wear, and be done with it?

*gloomily* This is the horrible truth: fanaticism works. That kind of violence and terror is effective in getting your own way.

I have a feeling that if this problem isn't stopped or reversed soon, rather nastier figures will deal with it in a less pleasant manner.

About 6% of Holland's 16.3 million people are Muslims, and nearly half of Amsterdam's population is of foreign origin. Some predict the city could have a Muslim majority within a decade or so.

Uh-huh.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:02:00 UTC | #211871

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 21 by Border Collie

InYourFaceNY ... That's probably perfectly true and accurate. However, no matter how passionately the Dutch government ass-kisses the Muslims, the Muslims are going to blow it up anyway.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:02:00 UTC | #211872

Sargeist's Avatar Comment 22 by Sargeist

J Mac:

Jews do seem to have a much better image than priests and Imams. Take the wonderful Krusty the Clown episode of The Simpsons, for example - I bet no one was threatened with being blown up as a result of that being written/shown. And the comedian Lewis Black also shows that Judaism can stand a bit of humorous bashing.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:04:00 UTC | #211873

thrutraffic's Avatar Comment 23 by thrutraffic

The statement that Amseterdam could be majority Muslim withing a decade is pretty firghtening. Add this to the growing populations of them throughout Europe and the other countries willingness to deny free speech in fear of "the religion of peace".

So what's the future look like? When we finally get around to the decision that something military in nature has to be done will we be nuking European contries as well?

I spent the last 7 years as an outcast in my community for being against having gone into Iraq and fundamentally I still think we should not have; definitely in the manner in which we did.

However the more I learn the closer I come to the willingness to use force to put a stop to this Islam crap before it spreads any farther. Had this been communism spreading into western Europe we'd have stopped at nothing to draw a line in the sand. I can't believe that Islam is any better than Communism (in it's ugly form).

So how long do we wait before drawing that line?

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:06:00 UTC | #211874

J Mac's Avatar Comment 24 by J Mac

"The religion of peace" my ass.

More like "the religion of blow you to pieces."

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:10:00 UTC | #211878

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 26 by Border Collie

Well, thank Mr. Jesus! At least they don't have TWP confined to a burkah (sp?) yet. There is still hope and beauty in the world!

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:11:00 UTC | #211880

Xom's Avatar Comment 25 by Xom

Longtime lurker, first reaction.

As someone from the Netherlands, I feel the need to react to this article because it is biased in a rather dangerous way, like more articles concerning the Netherlands linked to on this and other atheist's sites.

First of all, I am an Atheist. And as an atheist, I am opposed to any and all means of using religion to justify limiting a persons right to free speech. In the case of Gregorius Nekschot, this is exactly what happened and Dutch politics reacted and condemned the arrest in a huge majority of parliament. The responsible minister barely survived the whole incident. He should not have, but that's a matter of politics I presume.

The thing that worries me, is that every time any article is posted it is about Dutch politicians and the Islam. Note: the Islam and only the Islam. Not Judaism, not Christianity. The politician quoted, mr. Wilders, does not dare make attacks on Christianity or Judaism. He only targets Islam. Not because he is opposed to religion, but because he is focussing his rage at
immigrants, who just so happen to be Muslims.

The same goes for mr. Elian as well as Ms. Hirsi Ali. Not a single one of them has spoken against religion, the only thing they try and do is blame domestic problems on immigrants and conversely on the religion these immigrants have.

This I consider to be a very dangerous doctrine to follow. In no way do I try and rationalize all the threats these persons have received, but please note before supporting them mindlessly that they are populist right-wing politicians trying to come up with an enemy to blame problems on.

I myself am a politician, be it at the local level, so I might be biased. I am opposed to any role of religion in politics. But the thing I am even more opposed to is blaming a group of persons for all the wrongs perceived in this society. Even if this group might be in large part adhering to a single religion.

I detest all religions equally and would wish Geert Wilders, Efshan Elian (though not a politician an influential columnist) and Ayaan Hirsi Ali would speak out against religion in general as they have done against the Islam. But as long as they do not, they are as guilty as any other politician of using religion as a way to gain votes. If not more guilty for their attempts to spread hate against a group of immigrants. We, as Atheists, should be particularly wary not to blindly support hate-mongers.

Menno Smit, The Netherlands

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:11:00 UTC | #211879

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 27 by KRKBAB

- locking up Mr. Nekschot was probably a mistake.
umm...yeah, I think so. If someone "locked me up" for a night and then said it was "maybe a mistake" they would get their ass sued, but that's the angry Amerikun in me. White Pearl- I used to be emphasize with you when you criticized any dumb ass sexual remarks from the guys, but by the looks of your recent avatar, it looks like your begging them on. C'mon- you can't have it both ways.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:15:00 UTC | #211882

8teist's Avatar Comment 28 by 8teist

KRKBAB,the Pearl has a baseball bat and is willing to use it.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:19:00 UTC | #211884

Fanusi Khiyal's Avatar Comment 29 by Fanusi Khiyal

Border Collie

That's the central truth that Muslims don't want Infidels to grasp: When you realise that nothing that they can threaten us with is worse than what they are going to do anyway, you loose your fear.

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:29:00 UTC | #211886

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 30 by Steve Zara

Comment #223486 by Fanusi Khiyal

Will you please stop posting this kind of nonsense until you have dealt with issues posted on other threads?

Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:31:00 UTC | #211887