← Charlie Brooker's screen burn

Charlie Brooker's screen burn - Comments

Alan Canon's Avatar Comment 1 by Alan Canon

I'm sure that in the documentary Dawkins will point out Darwin's own revulsion at nature "red in tooth and claw." This aspect of nature is why Dawkins practically exhorts his readers to rebel against our Darwinian origins.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:34:00 UTC | #212111

themanchoo's Avatar Comment 2 by themanchoo

Nemo IS real... don't believe this propaganda!

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:35:00 UTC | #212112

Am I Evil?'s Avatar Comment 3 by Am I Evil?

Nice review, looking forward to the programme.

PS - is there an unclosed bold tag out there somewhere?

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:38:00 UTC | #212113

J Mac's Avatar Comment 4 by J Mac

"The total amount of suffering in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute it takes me to say these words, thousands of animals are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, feeling teeth sink into their throats. Thousands are dying from starvation or disease or feeling a parasite rasping away from within. There is no central authority; no safety net. For most animals the reality of life is struggling, suffering and death."

But in NATURE this also means that in that same minute thousands of animals are chasing a great meal, sinking their teeth into a juicy dinner.

Religion seems to be the only force that kills and destroys for absolutely no reason.

Sure nature can be gruesome; But for every looser there is a winner. Nature seems to be a zero sum game. Religion tries to make it a negative sum game.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:39:00 UTC | #212114

J Mac's Avatar Comment 5 by J Mac

Am I Evil ...

Damn, your avatar threw me off... I as sitting there looking at this thinking: "wait, I didn't write that."

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:40:00 UTC | #212115

Isherwood's Avatar Comment 6 by Isherwood

This type of article brings a lump to my throat and a fist to my fingers. I shake it in disbelief and disgust at those with their heads in the sand. How can anyone with a conscious mind deny it? It's truly baffling!

But you all know that.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:42:00 UTC | #212117

black wolf's Avatar Comment 7 by black wolf

Nice comment, very poignant.
I think children should recite at the beginning of every school day: The Universe Does Not Owe Us Comfort.
If only simple-minded people were content with watching their screen and shutting their minds - but they insist that everyone else shuts up while they watch, including their neighbors one block distant. They want the right (and have it in most countries) to speak to everyone at least once a week about the unfathomably wonderful mysteries of Nemo, of how society is built upon and cannot dispense with glowing cartoon images of the deep sea. They want the government to pay them for being the middleman between Nemo and us, pay no taxes for selling hand-drawn sketches of fish en masse, and tell everyone's children that the shark will eat them if they don't sincerely follow Nemo's rules.

Pull the plug.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:43:00 UTC | #212118

the way's Avatar Comment 8 by the way

Hahaha!...Invasion of the Flying Spaghetti Monsters!! :)

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:43:00 UTC | #212119

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 9 by Dhamma

Thanks for putting my thoughts on paper! I agree 100%.

The problem is that despite the overwhelming evidence, they choose ludicrous indoctrination. How are we ever going to convince them if they don't accept it already?

It's a game of psychology that we have to understand better how to play. I'm not a rhetorician, but I don't think Dawkins is rhetorical enough to convince the greater masses either even if he's had some success with his latest book. Sure, it's not his job either, but as he tries to take part of the game, I'd be glad if he was better at it.

Above all, I think we need to do everything we can, within legal boarders, to hinder religious indoctrination in our children. If you weren't taught yourself about the "truth" when you're young, it's very unlikely you will pick it up when you're older.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:47:00 UTC | #212121

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 10 by the great teapot

Many thanks to the chap/ess who first posted the link.
I have just spent the last few hours typing in screenwipe on youtube and enjoyed the comic consequences that followed. I recommend others do the same

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:58:00 UTC | #212124

JackR's Avatar Comment 11 by JackR

God, I love Charlie Brooker. He always makes me laugh like a drain, and this piece was no exception.

"Science is like a good friend: sometimes it tells you things you don't want to hear. It tells you the truth. And we all know how much that can hurt, don't we, fatso? "

Awesome.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 09:06:00 UTC | #212130

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 12 by Steve Zara

I find it hard to say exactly why I like Charlie Brooker - basically he is a bad-tempered ranter. But I adore his writing, and "screenwipe".

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 09:08:00 UTC | #212132

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 13 by the great teapot

Steve.
I like him because he is a bad tempered ranter.
who lives in the real world.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 09:13:00 UTC | #212135

decius's Avatar Comment 14 by decius

Steve,

it seems that RD.net is having an additional problem of dns, or something. I made a couple of attempt to connect in the past 30 hours to no avail, but I could reach it through the mobile phone browser.

Then I configured the router to use a subnet mask, and it worked again.
It appears that whole areas of Europe are unable to connect directly.
Should I message Josh?

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 09:18:00 UTC | #212136

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 15 by Steve Zara

Comment #223741 by decius

I noted a previous problem (the site was down for a few hours). The error messages I was getting back suggested this was a disk space problem, and it seemed to be fixed quickly.

The kind of DNS problem you mention doesn't sound like it is to do with the site - if you can get to it by at least one method.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 09:30:00 UTC | #212139

AdrianB's Avatar Comment 16 by AdrianB

Comment #223718 by J Mac

It also means that in the same minute thousands of animals are bonking like crazy.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:05:00 UTC | #212171

soul_biscuit's Avatar Comment 17 by soul_biscuit

They're always spoiling our fun, pointing out homeopathy doesn't work or ghosts don't exist EVEN THOUGH they KNOW we REALLY, REALLY want to believe in them.

Awesome, but it should be pointed out that science doesn't tell us that ghosts don't exist.

It does tell us that there's no evidence in favor of ghosts existing, though, so maybe I'm just being a contemptible pedant.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:16:00 UTC | #212177

KrisRamJ's Avatar Comment 18 by KrisRamJ

Charlie rules, I loved his review of 'The Enemies of Reason':

Inevitably, the world of science and logic is slowly fighting back. Hence the recent slew of anti-God books, one of which, The God Delusion, was written by Richard Dawkins, writer-presenter of The Enemies Of Reason (Mon, 8pm, C4). Dawkins has softened his style somewhat since his previous series, The Root of All Evil, in which he toured the globe interviewing religious extremists. Trouble was, their views made him so uppity, he occasionally came off worst. They remained eerily calm, while he huffed furiously. And because he looks and sounds precisely like Professor Yaffle from Bagpuss, the end effect was often unintentional hilarity.

In The Enemies of Reason he's still angry - how couldn't he be? - but this time round Dawkins controls his temper, focusing it like a laser beam, taking on spirituality and superstition in all its forms. The overall tone is less hectoring, more persuasive, and occasionally outright playful. It's more likely to win people over.

The end result is possibly the most important broadcast of the year so far; important because it presents a passionate argument we really all ought to be having right now, if we want to prevent a great slide backwards into mud-eating barbarism. And if you think that's hyperbole, I suggest you pick up a newspaper and see how many of the world's problems are currently being caused or exacerbated by the rejection of rational thought. From fundamentalist death cults to arrogant invasions: a startling lack of logic unites them all.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:28:00 UTC | #212189

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 19 by TIKI AL

Our Bengals,(part Asian Leopard-cats) kill the lizards around the pool in a very sadistic manner but don't dine on them.

Since they appear to kill for no reason, are they religious or do they merely have an intense hatred for the green English accented Geico insurance spokesman that taunts them from inside Nemoville?

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:12:00 UTC | #212212

J Mac's Avatar Comment 20 by J Mac

Religion is against that as well.

Within the humor you do have a point that perhaps I spoke to quick. However I suspect if your cats were not domesticated and living in a home where their food was provided and they had no worries they would not kill lizards just for the fun of it.

In either case the point I was working on may perhaps have been better made by Adrian B. It's easy to look out at the gruesomeness of nature; but it has its beauty and fun as well.

To be fair religion has its beauty in addition to its gruesomeness to.

So the point that nature is cruel is just unfounded in my opinion.

Nature is just nature. Animals live, animals die, animals have "blowhole intercourse" (according to another article here). Ignoring the "bad" aspects of nature would be foolish; ignoring the good aspects of nature is pessimistic.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:21:00 UTC | #212218

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 21 by TIKI AL

JMac: After some grueling googling:

"Cats, can get sick from eating geckos. It depends on if the lizard has Salmonella. Most geckos do carry salmonella. Thats why your aren't supposed to touch their stool. That is the most highly contagious way to get salmonella from a gecko. And if your cat ate a gecko, it is very possible she now has salmonella."

This information makes me want to whip up a big batch of guacamole!

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:49:00 UTC | #212231

J Mac's Avatar Comment 22 by J Mac

Now if you need that tidbit of knowledge to keep your from playing with gecko poop you have problems.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:07:00 UTC | #212237

stephenray's Avatar Comment 23 by stephenray

"If the Bible had contained a passage that claimed gravity is caused by God pulling objects toward the ground with magic invisible threads, we'd still be debating Newton with idiots too."

I wish I'd said that.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:26:00 UTC | #212248

raptur's Avatar Comment 24 by raptur

wait did nemo sing?

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 14:22:00 UTC | #212266

KiwiInOz's Avatar Comment 25 by KiwiInOz

black wolf - unfortunately the Universe did give us Comfort. Ray, that is.

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 15:03:00 UTC | #212279

Godfree Gordon's Avatar Comment 26 by Godfree Gordon

excellent article

humour works people, not shouting

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 16:34:00 UTC | #212303

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 27 by robotaholic

I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with chemicals and killer robots.:|

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:56:00 UTC | #212353

Godfree Gordon's Avatar Comment 28 by Godfree Gordon

robotaholic

well...yeah...duh

thats a given - but apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us?

Sun, 03 Aug 2008 23:13:00 UTC | #212381

black wolf's Avatar Comment 29 by black wolf

black wolf - unfortunately the Universe did give us Comfort. Ray, that is.

I had a hunch someone would say that. I resisted the temptation to include it in my post. But nooooo, you had to go there.
PZ Myers debates R.C. this Tuesday.
also, for your entertainment:
The Raytractors

Mon, 04 Aug 2008 00:37:00 UTC | #212388

Flo's Avatar Comment 30 by Flo

"fellow human beings who've actually bothered getting off their arses to work this shit out"

"EVEN THOUGH they KNOW we REALLY, REALLY want to believe in them"

"It tells you the truth. And we all know how much that can hurt, don't we, fatso?"

"natural selection's lack of reassuring narrative"

Yeeeah! Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the definition of "to the point", isn't it?!

As I'm not from the UK, this is the first piece I've read from Charlie Brooker, didn't know him before... but now I do... and am looking forward to read more from him, I think I'm going to check out the Guardian website from time to time from now on.

Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:24:00 UTC | #212427