← Charlie Brooker's screen burn

Sweet.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:29:00 UTC | #215745

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 2 by Chrysippus_Maximus

Meh.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:53:00 UTC | #215746

Godfree Gordon's Avatar Comment 3 by Godfree Gordon

And in that equanimatable spirit of the UK, C4 will now also be producing a follow up series titled "Make mine a Muslim" in which disilliusioned evangelical Christian parents, who think their brand of Christianity doesnt go far enough, give over their Flanders-esque children to a gun totin' Imam for the ultimate in Extreme Makeover shows.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:54:00 UTC | #215747

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 4 by mordacious1

Too bad the atheist biker left. I was hoping he'd take a length of chain and beat the bejesus out of them. Oh, but that wouldn't be rational...funny yes...rational no.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:12:00 UTC | #215749

davorg's Avatar Comment 5 by davorg

C4 will now also be producing a follow up series titled "Make mine a Muslim"

"Make Me A Muslim" was broadcast last year.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:20:00 UTC | #215751

somersetsimon's Avatar Comment 6 by somersetsimon

'Make me a Christian' was a follow-up to an earlier programme 'Make me a Muslim'. Did anyone see that?

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:23:00 UTC | #215752

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 7 by aquilacane

Comment #227847 by Spinoza on August 10, 2008 at 10:53 pm

"Meh.

Also, I really hate the use of "yeah?" at the end of sentences. It has the effect of nails on a chalk-board... "

I really hate people who need to live vicariously through someone else, even so far as to adopt their name. Never mind the dickheads who begin their posts with Meh.

Of course, this is a stupid post.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:31:00 UTC | #215753

Heretic's Avatar Comment 8 by Heretic

I think Channel 4 are just desperatly trying to balance their programming - They show Richards programme 'The Genius of Charles Darwin' then immediatly it follow up with a trailer for 'Make Me a Christian'. I think they pulled the same trick with 'Make me a Muslim', showing the trailer straight after 'Undercover Mosque' (or somthing similar - it was a while ago).

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:56:00 UTC | #215755

petermun's Avatar Comment 9 by petermun

I wasted an hour of my life watching this programme. It was simply awful. The four religious mentors looked like something from a b-rated horror movie - the Church of England vicar, in particular, looked like an ex-employee of Hugh Heffner with her black garb and stange clerical collar - so perhaps "Bunny and the Vampires" would be a better title.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:00:00 UTC | #215756

beebhack's Avatar Comment 10 by beebhack

Much of the criticism of the Dawkins programme has been that creationists don't, in fact, exist in great numbers in the UK. However, this programme features a preacher who believes in the literal truth of the Old Testament 'because Jesus believed it' - Adam and Eve and all. It'll be interesting to see how many of his victims come to believe that, too.

This programme could equally well have been called 'How Religion Works'; take vulnerable people, some not particularly well-educated, crush them, then insert superstition.

I warmed to the tattooist, who appeared to be questioning the truth claims of scripture but was shouted down (difficult to tell how consistent he was -- the editing was really irritating). I think he may be back next week.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:06:00 UTC | #215757

theantitheist's Avatar Comment 11 by theantitheist

Not that i'm complaining but when did the Guardian start using phrases like "Cocksucker"?

Still the Biker should have stayed and just ripped the shit out of them at every turn, that would have been good entertainment.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:11:00 UTC | #215759

HunterZolomon's Avatar Comment 12 by HunterZolomon

The sky's the limit! "Make Me a Zeusite", "Make Me a Osirisian", "Make Me a Cthulhu Cultist"!

"Make Me an Atheist" however would be wrong on so many levels... :)

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:26:00 UTC | #215760

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 13 by TIKI AL

"Reality" shows are fixed.

And I wish NBC would stop testing my gag-reflex by showing bush at the Olympics.

I predict that after the Olympics, puzzled Chinese scientists will study the millions of maggot cadavers around bush's visit venues to see what made them gag to death.

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:53:00 UTC | #215765

Sargeist's Avatar Comment 14 by Sargeist

What? Women's gymnastics must be so much better on HD...

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:22:00 UTC | #215770

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 15 by Enlightenme..

Comment #227858 by beebhack on August 11, 2008:

"Much of the criticism of the Dawkins programme has been that creationists don't, in fact, exist in great numbers in the UK"

Anyone who believes in the possibility of a 'higher power', the vaguest of Deists, is still a creationist.

Creation = designed purpose, the purpose of sex is procreation, it is then justified to throw homosexuals off mountains.

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:23:00 UTC | #215771

neander's Avatar Comment 16 by neander

Wow Sargeist, well spotted. made me choke on my coffee.

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:42:00 UTC | #215775

beeline's Avatar Comment 17 by beeline

I was fascinated by this programme, and will certainly watch the others in the series.

Mostly I was amazed at how obviously 'fixed' it was - all of the people taking part were fairly uneducated, and only one who had a spark of intelligence was carefully chosen so that it was easy to find him repellant. Even the narrator's script seemed dumbed down to make it 'more accessible'.

And is the only balanced way to talk about 'the sin' of abortion to show people footage of abortions happening? Perhaps it might have seemed more credible to show them the results of fractured families and unwanted children turning to crime and trashing the rest of society. Oh no, that would be far too complicated.

And seeing those two young boys there. That made my stomach turn. How is that even legal? I suspect that they were bored to tears by the whole thing, but might possibly have been swayed by the bright lights of the film crew. What kind of message would they take away? I'd love to see them on TV in 15 years talking about their remembrances of it all, if they have any.

All the preachers came out with so many bald assertions (that could obviously not be questioned) but didn't even bother talking about them. They weren't willing to accept questions, or to discuss the complex nature of any of the issues - it was pathetic.

I'd like to think that the series will actually damage the public view of religion, and I'm still not completely sure that the producers don't actually want that effect...

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:54:00 UTC | #215778

Sargeist's Avatar Comment 18 by Sargeist

I am in two minds about showing people footage of abortions. Just because something is icky, does not mean it is morally wrong. But, on the other hand, some people *do* think that something which elicits a strong "ick" response from them must, in some fashion, be really wrong or it would not have affected them.

One could also say that showing people what goes on in abattoirs is unfair, and that it implies that eating animals is morally wrong. But, again, this does not really follow.

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:06:00 UTC | #215779

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 19 by RichardofYork

Tell you what i hate in sentences ; commers , those things really piss me off

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:08:00 UTC | #215781

Godfree Gordon's Avatar Comment 20 by Godfree Gordon

re
; davorg

"Make Me A Muslim" was broadcast last year.

Sorry, didnt see that over here in Oz - just made it up as I went along...:0

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:09:00 UTC | #215782

utelme's Avatar Comment 21 by utelme

This makes the atheist biker kick off, so George graciously talks over him until he walks out.

Well, isn't that one for the books...it appears that only bikers have any brains. lmfao

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:22:00 UTC | #215783

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 22 by irate_atheist

Hopefully people watching this show will realise what a crock of shit religion is. Hopefully it will dissuade some from going anywhere near any of the fucknuts.

The not my religion defense? Fuck off - yes it is matey.

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:25:00 UTC | #215784

nickthelight's Avatar Comment 24 by nickthelight

broker you funny fucker. lol.

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:31:00 UTC | #215787

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 23 by Bonzai

sargeist

Many people *do* find childbirth rather icky, I wonder how the logic above may apply in that situation.

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:31:00 UTC | #215786

GregPhillips's Avatar Comment 25 by GregPhillips

HunterZolomon on August 11, 2008 at 12:26 am
avatarThe sky's the limit! ... "Make Me a Cthulhu Cultist"!

YES!! I would SO watch that show!!

The adverts for this show pissed me off when Dawkins programme was bracketed by them - why in a time where we have 20 evangelical TV channels on Sky, pumping out religeo-shit 24/7 and really need balanced programming are C4 pandering to irresponsible sensationalism on such a banal subject? I do hope there are some stronger willed people who manage to stick it out to the end and expose the brow-beating judgemental Christards for the charlatans they are. So shes a lesbian? So what? So shes a pole dancing witch? Other than an outmoded medieval superstitious belief in magic, so what?

Really, I think they knew a bunch of Darwin-geeks were going to be watching and just wanted to annoy the hell out of us and increase the buzz about the programme. Which is why I havent talked about it or watched the show, yeah?

Oh and by the way I inserted that yeah deliberately as an hommage to Charlie Brookers wit - something Spinoza definately doesnt get.

Yeah?

Greg

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:39:00 UTC | #215790

Sargeist's Avatar Comment 26 by Sargeist

Bonzai,

Well, the good thing there is that those people can say: "Well, childbirth is natural", and get out of having to think about it.

Now, I am assuming there that those same people would think that abortion is not "natural", and given the abortifacients that are used these days, and little mini-vacuum cleaners etc, I suppose I can see their point. But the alternative would be to point out that there are perfectly "natural" ways of aborting a foetus, no doubt involving perfectly natural plant-derived preparations.

I was only saying before that I don't think that showing people what actually goes on in any procedure is necessarily a bad thing. Whether one can believe everything one is being shown, however, is another question.

Anyway, I am in two minds (again) about abortion. It isn't likely to affect me, so I don't really care. But the idea that some people might want to abort a, say, 4 month "old" foetus just because they've changed their mind about it really does bother me.

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:41:00 UTC | #215791

Chris Davis's Avatar Comment 27 by Chris Davis

The Dearly Beloved Stephen Pinker (the Fifth Horseman?) has an excellent article on the Morality Instinct (good material to smite the 'God made right and wrong' crowd, btw).

In passing, he mentioned the 'ick' response, and how badly it's abused:

In "The Wisdom of Repugnance," Leon Kass, former chair of the President's Council on Bioethics, argued that we should disregard reason when it comes to cloning and other biomedical technologies and go with our gut: "We are repelled by the prospect of cloning human beings . . . because we intuit and feel, immediately and without argument, the violation of things that we rightfully hold dear. . . . In this age in which everything is held to be permissible so long as it is freely done . . . repugnance may be the only voice left that speaks up to defend the central core of our humanity. Shallow are the souls that have forgotten how to shudder."

Pinker points out that turning off your brain and going with your shudders would have ruled out a range of currently acceptable items:

'There are, of course, good reasons to regulate human cloning, but the shudder test is not one of them. People have shuddered at all kinds of morally irrelevant violations of purity in their culture: touching an untouchable, drinking from the same water fountain as a Negro, allowing Jewish blood to mix with Aryan blood, tolerating sodomy between consenting men. And if our ancestors' repugnance had carried the day, we never would have had autopsies, vaccinations, blood transfusions, artificial insemination, organ transplants and in vitro fertilization, all of which were denounced as immoral when they were new.'

The full article - highly recommended - is at

CD

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 02:25:00 UTC | #215802

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 28 by rod-the-farmer

I have not seen the show yet, but I might have a peek just to see how bad it could be. From the article, it sounds awful. Could they not find a 'normal' person who is an atheist ? I am reminded of the 'dark side' "God Warrior' wife swap lady.

Watching her children realise their Mom is quite literally out of her mind is sad. Why anyone would want to turn on this sort of behaviour is beside me. Doing a TV show about it seems to me like doing a show on how to infect people with a terminal illness.

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 02:31:00 UTC | #215804

Pete H's Avatar Comment 29 by Pete H

You've probably all seen this one already.

This is the link to Derrin Brown's instant conversion of Atheists to belief in God:

There's some good tricks on display, but the primary technique was to quickly eliminate potential trouble-makers and focus on the apparently random but self-selecting remaining targets.

At least the Make Me A Christian show sounds in better taste than what we get in Australia. Our latest reality TV ratings chase is "The One" where psychics compete to find bodies of murdered tourists hidden in the outback. (Possibly not such a difficult assignment as the outback is apparently littered with dead tourists.)

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 02:37:00 UTC | #215806

Sargeist's Avatar Comment 30 by Sargeist

rod:

"Make Me Parasitically Infested"?

Indistinguishable from Big Brother, with appropriate changes of scale.

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 02:39:00 UTC | #215808