← Poll: Should the motto 'In God We Trust' be removed from U.S. currency?

Poll: Should the motto 'In God We Trust' be removed from U.S. currency? - Comments

43alley's Avatar Comment 1 by 43alley

"NO" is winning 91% to 9%.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:05:00 UTC | #217843

HitbLade's Avatar Comment 2 by HitbLade

soooo, 91% trust in god then?

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:07:00 UTC | #217844

Sciros's Avatar Comment 3 by Sciros

The Yes and No answers have elaborations by them (that is, "why yes" and "why no"). I'm not sure the two explanations given are the only arguments either side has. How about the argument that "In God We Trust" sounds fucking stupid?

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:11:00 UTC | #217845

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 4 by Dhamma

This is such a joke. The American constitution is not associated with any religion, so how come you've got it in the first place? Remove it immediately.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:13:00 UTC | #217847

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 5 by Gregg Townsend

Maybe those being polled misread it and thought the question was "Should the motto 'In God We Trust' be on the U.S. currency?"

Wishful thinking on my part.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:14:00 UTC | #217848

terradea's Avatar Comment 6 by terradea

Historical significance? It only became mandatory on U.S. currency in 1955! Anyway, I usually color over it on all my bills before I spend them.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:19:00 UTC | #217849

tacitus's Avatar Comment 7 by tacitus

Frankly, the less fuss there is about petty things like this, the more likely religion will die off anyway. Just look at the U.K. We've never had anywhere close to the separation of church and state the U.S. has, as Christianity is on its last legs here. In many ways, it's fights over petty things like this motto, the Pledge of Allegiance, school prayer, the "War on Christmas" (which they lost decades ago anyway) that keep the Christian right-wing galvanized.

Apathy of religion is the best weapon atheists and agnostics have against it. Filing law suits, however worthy the intent, gets nothing accomplished other than supply more red meat for the Christianists to chew on.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:20:00 UTC | #217850

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 8 by Diacanu

No. The motto has historical and patriotic significance and does nothing to establish a state religion.

Are you fucking kidding me??

Historical??

It only goes back the shitty fucking 50's, and all that paranoid McCarthy, conformist, industrial-age, military robot, sheep herd mentality.

And fuck patriotism too, really.
All it serves as is a drumbeat by politicians to send your kids to fucking die in the next shitty imperial adventure dreamed up by the next sociopath the drooling ya-fucking-hoos vote in.

Fuck fly over country, fuck their horrible "values", and fuck the stupid hurt offended look on their fat idiot faces when I say this shit to 'em.

Fuck their pickup trucks, fuck their ugly kids, fuck their awful identical tract houses, fuck the horrible shit on radio and TV they vote onto the airwaves with their greasy crinkled fucking dollars, with their fucking "in god we trust", on 'em, and fuck their horrible Wal-Mart clothing.
If that's America, then fuck it.
Fuck it up the ass.
And fuck you if you disagree, you're one of them, and you're the walking dead.
Fucking moving meat that passes for human in this culture.
Fuck you!

Ahh, I feel better. :)

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:22:00 UTC | #217851

forksmuggler's Avatar Comment 9 by forksmuggler

Even if God did exist I sure as hell wouldn't trust the mother fucker!

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:24:00 UTC | #217853

catskill's Avatar Comment 11 by catskill

It was added to coins during the Civil War and added to bills during the height of the Cold War. I wish they would remove it because I am tired of Christians using it as evidence that we are a "Christian Nation".

Take it off the wall in Congress too.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:25:00 UTC | #217856

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 10 by Apathy personified

Should the motto "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?

Yes. It's a violation of the principle of separation of church and state.

Indeed, it does nothing to establish a state religion, it already assumes one exists.
I can't talk though, the head of state of my country is also the head of the religious sect that happens to be the state religion.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:25:00 UTC | #217854

Sciros's Avatar Comment 12 by Sciros

Honestly, though, US paper currency has far more important issues to address before the "in god we trust" motto. How about that it's all the same size (I mean, I totally hate blind people, but it'd still be more convenient), that it's now colored as if it's gone through the laundry with some old-ass markers, and that it's such shite quality it lasts like two years before turning to pulp.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:27:00 UTC | #217857

Sh!fty's Avatar Comment 14 by Sh!fty

Too bad PZ is floating somewhere in the south Pacific and can't get the Pharyngulites all riled up to swing that thing around. Although I don't think they can swing this, it's already over 100,000 votes submitted.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:28:00 UTC | #217859

David J's Avatar Comment 13 by David J

All great comments. The 1950s thing was new to me. But it makes perfect sense given the "galvanization" of American "patriotism."

I say remove it just to fuck with the theist zealots.

And from now on, I'm writing "FSM" over "god" on all my bills.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:28:00 UTC | #217858

SharonMcT's Avatar Comment 15 by SharonMcT

Diacanu (Re:Comment #230150):

Ahh. I feel better after having read that. ;)

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:29:00 UTC | #217860

forksmuggler's Avatar Comment 16 by forksmuggler

No need to wait for legislators to remove the slogan. I'm getting out my wallet and magic marker right now.

I prefer to either mark out "GOD" completely, or edit it to read "IN GOD WE *RUST"

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:33:00 UTC | #217862

ukvillafan's Avatar Comment 18 by ukvillafan

Everyone should vote as it does not seem to be restricted to US citizens.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:39:00 UTC | #217865

Pidge's Avatar Comment 17 by Pidge

How did it get there in the first place?

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:39:00 UTC | #217864

Ishruul's Avatar Comment 19 by Ishruul

In God we trust. Fuck yeah, right on cash!

Seem some Jesus guy lie to everyone. Wealthy people go in heaven, why else God's motto be on it in the first place?

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:43:00 UTC | #217866

eclampusvitus's Avatar Comment 20 by eclampusvitus

Mark Twain preferred the motto, saying "It wouldn't should better if it were true".

ECV

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:44:00 UTC | #217868

blueollie's Avatar Comment 21 by blueollie

I went and voted "yes, remove it" but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Besides, it would be political suicide for someone in Congress to vote to remove it.

For now, I'd gladly settle for having public schools teach science in science classes.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:46:00 UTC | #217870

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 22 by IaninPA

I don't like it, but for me it's not as stupid or embarrassing as the British national anthem - especially if like me you are a republican.

I mean honestly - exhorting a god I don't believe in to save a monarchy I don't want!

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:47:00 UTC | #217872

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 23 by Diacanu

Ian-

I keep telling you guys, have a revolution!
We did!
It's fun!

Plus, nowadays, it wouldn't have to be bloody.
How many dipshits they got guarding the dumbass queen these days?
You could overpower 'em with a crowd of angry punkers, and "boo" and tomato them out of town.

Doo eeet!!

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:54:00 UTC | #217877

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 24 by Diacanu

SharonMcT-

Ahh. I feel better after having read that. ;)

Glad to be of service, babe. :)

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:56:00 UTC | #217879

Quine's Avatar Comment 25 by Quine

<!-- Be sure tags are closed -->Historical reasons?? The historical reason was the red scare of the 1950s. Is that the kind of patriotic history we want to accentuate?

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:02:00 UTC | #217884

jimbob's Avatar Comment 26 by jimbob

People should have to take a quiz before they vote:

On US currency "God" refers to:

A. Allah
B. Jehovah
C. Yahweh
D. All of the above
E. None of the above

Then we could all sit back and laugh at the confusion and stupidity!

;-)

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:03:00 UTC | #217886

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 27 by Diacanu

quine-

Beacha to it. ;)

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:04:00 UTC | #217887

cerad's Avatar Comment 28 by cerad

Removing the motto would also make the coins lighter. An important consideration in these days of escalating transportation costs.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:04:00 UTC | #217888

Sh!fty's Avatar Comment 29 by Sh!fty

Errr, I just noticed that the vote was from an article in 2005!

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:07:00 UTC | #217889

kkelly's Avatar Comment 30 by kkelly

8, I agree with your characterization of redneck americans, which possibly make up a majority. I'd further like to add that they also LOOK physically different (uglier) than the americans I normally encounter, and I'm not being facetious. It's not just that they're fatter or dress grossly, something about their facial structure is odd, barring the obvious explanation that they're missing their back molars and their cheeks are hollow. There's a noticeable lack of symmetry and proportion in their faces and bodies. The difference is most striking at midwestern amusement parks.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:08:00 UTC | #217891