← Enemies of Reason: Available now on DVD!

Enemies of Reason: Available now on DVD! - Comments

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 1 by mordacious1

"Yet, today, society appears to be retreating from reason."

Are there not more atheists now than ever before? Are we truly retreating, or does it just seem that way?

[edit] I know my parents were alot more superstitious than I am (if I am), and my grandparents were more superstitious than my parents. I want to be optimistic about this.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:18:00 UTC | #217994

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 2 by Matt H.

Glad to see it has finally been given a DVD release. Any extras?

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:20:00 UTC | #217997

William Carlton's Avatar Comment 3 by William Carlton

I have only seen the first segment of this program available on YouTube. I'd love to see the rest but sorry, Richard, I cannot afford it.

I expect to see the rest posted online in the near future.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:22:00 UTC | #218000

Dadeolus's Avatar Comment 5 by Dadeolus

Is society truly retreating from reason? There are many more practical atheists than any other time in the past (people who may say they believe but only go to church for weddings, christenings and funerals). Many of my friends have recently had kids, and all of them are only getting their kids christened to avoid an argument with grandparents. If we truly are rational, I want to see evidence that society is retreating from reason!

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:26:00 UTC | #218005

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 4 by Josh Timonen

Matt7895,
We are going to be releasing an 'Uncut Interviews' DVD soon as well. It was just too much content (at least 2 full DVDs worth, maybe even 3) to put it on this DVD or just one bonus disc. We'll do something like we did with 'Root of All Evil?' where we'll do a discount for people who want to buy them both. -Josh

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:26:00 UTC | #218004

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 6 by Steve Zara

Comment #230307 by Dadeolus

Is society truly retreating from reason?

I don't see any real evidence it is. I think it is becoming more acceptable to question superstition and irrational beliefs, so we hear more about them. Also, the mainstream religions are getting concerned about people switching to other forms of supernaturalism.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:29:00 UTC | #218010

evotruth's Avatar Comment 7 by evotruth

Just ordered mine along with the Genius Of Charles Darwin.

Thank You.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:34:00 UTC | #218018

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 8 by Chrysippus_Maximus

The "retreat from reason" isn't easily evident to educated academic Western (mostly white) people.

But the numbers are weird. While church-going Christian numbers are decreasing, sanity-abhorring belief-junkies are traipsing over to Islam with open skulls... and all manner of junk is squashed in...

"Non-religious", too, is certainly no guarantor of "(wo)man of reason" in the Enlightenment sense of the word.

The retreat from THAT sense of the word "reason" is actually even more confusing among academics... at least, outside the research-oriented sciences.

Among atheists, too, there is an alarming amount of anti-intellectualism (read: "unenlightenment values")... has ALWAYS annoyed me...

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:37:00 UTC | #218023

Durant's Avatar Comment 9 by Durant

"More of Richard Dawkins's Irrational Bigotry" Available now on DVD!

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:39:00 UTC | #218026

Jaz's Avatar Comment 10 by Jaz

You put up a well articulated account there for the devil's advocate Spinoza.
But that "today, society appears to be treating from reason" stuck out like a sore thumb in its wrongness

It's the sort of tripe my Christian friends say..."oh we're going down the pan, losing our core values etc etc"

The truth is, the society I assume the comment is refering to, in the scheme of things has never been more enlightened, Atheists may enjoy the fight, but the tide has well and truly turned.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:45:00 UTC | #218030

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 11 by Apathy personified

Durant,

"More of Richard Dawkins's Irrational Bigotry" Available now on DVD!
Can you explain how Richard Dawkins, or this particular series, is irrational or bigoted?

Of course, you must have already watched it, otherwise you wouldn't be wasting our time with that comment.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:50:00 UTC | #218039

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 12 by HourglassMemory

That's the best cover yet!
You can almost see it as a book cover.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:53:00 UTC | #218044

fizhburn's Avatar Comment 13 by fizhburn

Durant,

Welcome to the site. Would you care to elaborate, with evidence, on your impugning of RD's rationality and character? (And by extension, of us others who agree with his stances on reason and science.)

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:54:00 UTC | #218047

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 14 by mordacious1

Where do these guys come from (Durant)? Just stop by to make a stupid comment, then on their way? Or is it the same guy with different names?

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:04:00 UTC | #218051

Kinzuakid's Avatar Comment 15 by Kinzuakid

Troll Sock Puppet.

I'd love to say we're winning the battle for the minds, but the statistics tell a woeful tale here in the US.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:45:00 UTC | #218087

Durant's Avatar Comment 16 by Durant

Gladly. Dawkins ignores the historical complexities involved in the relationship between science and religion, invoking the oft-discredited notion that they're "at war"; makes disingenuous assertions (e.g. nobody has ever killed in the name of atheism,); cherry picks the worst of religious fanaticism and props it up as a case against religion in general; makes no sociological distinction between moderates and fundamentalists, saying instead that moderates only serve to help the fundamentalists; has declined to participate in unscripted, candid debates with serious theistic philosophers; dismisses responses to his propagandistic TGD as 'fleas' rather than replying to the objections; makes profoundly controversial assertions all the time and presents no supporting arguments for them (e.g. "there is no right or wrong"); absolutely will notpresent his opponents' views in an intellectually honest fashion, but responds instead to caricatures and straw men; spreads ambiguities (or perhaps downright lies) about scholars with whom he disagrees (e.g. "Swinburne tries to justify the holocaust"); employs monstrous fallacies throughout his work (e.g. the following question-begging: "Creative intelligences, being evolved, necessarily arrive late in the universe, and therefore cannot be responsible for designing it. (p. 31)"); uses ridicule, insults, and ad homs rather than logical argumentation; I could go on. All of this and more suggests that Dawkins is positively irrational, bigoted, and uninformed. He is interested primarily in the commercialization, dogmatization, and popularization of his pseudo-skeptical atheistic ideology and not truth for its own sake. Rigorous logic and free thinking are absent from his work. He is a charlatan and an ignoramus, as educated theists, agnostics, and nontheists from a variety backgrounds have agreed upon.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:28:00 UTC | #218110

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 17 by mordacious1

Durant

Stick around for a few minutes this time.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:31:00 UTC | #218113

Vaal's Avatar Comment 18 by Vaal

Durant. Do you actually believe all that hogwash? And all in one sentence as well.

Is your name David Robertson perchance?

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:38:00 UTC | #218117

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 19 by Dr. Strangegod

Okay, Durant, that's an awful lot of claims you make there, but none of them, even the ones with "e.g."s and quotes provide any evidence for your claims. Examples: "oft-discredited notion that they're at war" - discredited by whom? And how often is "oft"? "makes disingenuous assertions" etc. - how is the assertion you give disingenuous? I might just say every one of your assertions is disingenuous.

Also, may I ask what your personal religious beliefs are? Just so we all know where you are coming from. It's only fair. You know who we are (or so you think.) I will give you credit for spelling and punctuation; thank you for taking the time to at least try to make sense.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:43:00 UTC | #218119

mdowe's Avatar Comment 21 by mdowe

Durant:

Yawn ... whatever ....

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:48:00 UTC | #218122

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 20 by Diacanu

Durant-

...serious theistic philosophers;..

There's a phrase that gives me a chuckle every time.

Either there's a God, or there isn't.
No middle ground there.
If there isn't, then all of this theistic philosophy is delusion, and can't be treated seriously.
If it wants to be treated seriously, present evidence of the existence of God.
In 2000 plus years, these assholes haven't done that.
And then they demand respect they utterly refuse to earn.
Fuck 'em.
Go ahead and cry.
Go ahead and label it "bigotry", for all the good it does you.
That kite won't fly.
So go ahead and piss up its rope while you're at it.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:48:00 UTC | #218120

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 22 by Laurie Fraser

Josh, where's the [cretin] button?

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:50:00 UTC | #218123

8teist's Avatar Comment 23 by 8teist

Oh Durant , just another post and run loser....

Don`t let reality get in the way of your ability to form an opinion.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:51:00 UTC | #218124

8teist's Avatar Comment 24 by 8teist

Gday Laurie,

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:52:00 UTC | #218125

decius's Avatar Comment 25 by decius

Actually, for once there is a theist who can at least write.
This is a rare event, and should be cause for celebration.

I am about to go to sleep, but if Durant is so kind to return tomorrow, I will gladly contribute to dismantle some of his unfounded accusations, half-truths, outright lies, and uninformed misconceptions. However, I am sure that others will precede me.

Good night, all. Be kind to him, just answer his points.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:56:00 UTC | #218126

8teist's Avatar Comment 26 by 8teist

but D, he hasn`t got a point

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:58:00 UTC | #218127

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 27 by mordacious1

decius

I was thinking the same thing, that's why I didn't fling irate's word at him. I want to see how things develop first.

Hi 8, Laurie

Laurie, sorry I went to bed too early last night when the "lady" started posting.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:00:00 UTC | #218128

8teist's Avatar Comment 28 by 8teist

Howdy Mord, You didn`t miss anything ,just don`t let it know that mr Hari has another article posted today.:o

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:03:00 UTC | #218129

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 29 by mordacious1

I posted on the new Hari article that he's the UK's best journalist, just to tweak her beard. No response yet.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:05:00 UTC | #218131

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 30 by mordacious1

Durant

I was hoping you'd stick around for some serious discussion of your points instead of throwing out some accusations and taking off.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:07:00 UTC | #218132