← A flea we missed?

A flea we missed? - Comments

andyroo's Avatar Comment 1 by andyroo

Heh,

You know that Dawkins is a success when everyone starts to jump in on the "(Insert title) Delusion" bandwagon.

Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:53:00 UTC | #218850

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 2 by justinesaracen

I would imagine the reform Jewish 'take' on Dawkins would differ slightly from that of Christians.
Reform Jews, like Unitarian Christians, are the most secularized of their faith and I think fall squarely into the 'believers in belief' class.
But modern Judaism has the added element of valuing the community as much as the dogma. Jews in my personal sphere seem to retain their Jewish identity NOT because they believe a single feature of the Old Testament, but because they believe in themselves.
So I can see a whole lot of reform Jews going to temple (and circumcising their sons) just to sort of mark out the steps of being Jewish while not giving an iota of credence to any of the myths behind it all.
I lived most of my life in New York, where a large segment of my friends (and fellow professors) were Jews who were atheist in all but name, but Jewish only in name. They were Jews because they said they were. Period.

Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:57:00 UTC | #218852

8teist's Avatar Comment 3 by 8teist

Does anybody really care what these 1/2 wits think ? Rabbis,priests and mullahs are all yesterdays men fighting for relevancy in a world that is increasingly requiring reality in everyday life .
We don`t need their superstitions and ridiculous rules ,these guys know that shortly they may be out of a job and that they may just have go out and work for a living, Parasites the lot of them ,scumbags.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:09:00 UTC | #218856

JeremyH's Avatar Comment 4 by JeremyH

"Here is keen insight that any believer can use to understand and challenge the new atheists."

When debating god with an athiest, follow these steps to ensure victory

Step one: When the atheist begins to speak, place index fingers firmly inside ears.

Step two: sing "Heaven" by the band Live very loudly, as to avoid hearing unwanted facts and logic.

Step three: when the atheist has given up hope, use circular logic and flawed mathematics to justify your belief in god (e.g. "god wrote the bible, and the bible says God exists, QED god exists, i mean, God wouldn't lie would He?).

Step four: Stalin, Hitler, Maou etc etc, *smug look of arrogance*

Final step: Tell the atheist that you are praying for them, and that one day they will see the truth.

This is easy, maybe I should start writing fleas!

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:13:00 UTC | #218858

Dace's Avatar Comment 5 by Dace

It's not only this one that's been missed. New Zealand has added it's own sprinkling of ignorance and bad argument to the melting pot with "The Divinity Code" by Ian Wishart. Out of all of the fleas, I say it takes 'The Worst Title' title - not only does it unashamedly recycle another phrase in popular culture, the phrase is the title of a book, "The Da Vinci Code" which has nothing to do with it.

Such stupidity demands recognition, doesn't it?

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 02:13:00 UTC | #218867

Raiko's Avatar Comment 6 by Raiko

*scratch scratch scratch* Stupid fleas.

That's what you get for having a good book - I mean, good blood!

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 02:36:00 UTC | #218871

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 7 by scottishgeologist

Not really surprising - Mohler came up with an article called "The Dawkins Delusion" acouple of years ago after TGD was published.

So here he is, back for another go.....

:-)
SG

PS: JeremyH, you managed to reduce terabytes of web exchanges to a few sentences - kudos ! :-))

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:01:00 UTC | #218885

and7barton's Avatar Comment 8 by and7barton

To Quote from - Atheism Remix.
"What for years was a little-regarded belief systemâ€"atheism.........."

Excuse me ! - WHAT belief system ?
Surely it's precisely NOT a belief system.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:55:00 UTC | #218951

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 9 by thewhitepearl

Tina Beattie's book still holds the position of my favourite jacket cover.

MRA,

Class Assignment- We all pick a book and respond with books of our own.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 06:39:00 UTC | #218967

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 11 by thewhitepearl

"Letter to a Hippy Nation"

ha ha.

I feel that your suggestion is prob a wee bit pointless but we have to start somewhere. And it'll give us something to do. Maybe even make the local news.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 07:54:00 UTC | #218994

The Schuermannator's Avatar Comment 10 by The Schuermannator

twp -

I was just thinking that myself. She's also one of the very few female flea writers.
I also love the look on Harris's face in The Return of the Village Atheist.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 07:54:00 UTC | #218993

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 12 by Agrajag

15. Comment #231372 by thewhitepearl on August 16, 2008 at 7:39 am

Class Assignment- We all pick a book and respond with books of our own.

Let the games begin :-) :

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum, And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on, While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.
Author: Augustus de Morgan
Ste5e

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 07:58:00 UTC | #218995

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 13 by Apathy personified

*yawn*
Anything new in this one - i doubt it.

I think i'll write;
'astrology is not great: how horoscopes poison everything'

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:08:00 UTC | #218997

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 14 by thewhitepearl

Morning Ap!

I think I'll cover DR's book.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:15:00 UTC | #218998

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 15 by Apathy personified

Afternoon whitepearl :)
*Apathy passes whitepearl a freshly brewed cup of tea*
What will you call it?

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:22:00 UTC | #218999

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 16 by thewhitepearl

Schuer,

Ha ha yeah I never noticed that. But they clearly captured the attitude of Hitchens on "The New Atheists".

Tea? I get tea today? What kind?

I don't know yet. But I don't really understand his title. "The Dawkins Letters-Challenging Atheist Myths" Or his book cover on that note.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:31:00 UTC | #219000

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 17 by thewhitepearl

Mordy,

Have fun with that assignment.

Although, can you imagine if someone went through and challenged the entire book and released it as "The Babble".

Oh wait we have to cover the muslims big book.

"The Qu-Qu'ran"

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:40:00 UTC | #219001

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 18 by Apathy personified

whitepearl,
It's nothing special, just 'Twinnings everyday tea' or whatever they call it.
Drinking tea, instead of coffee, is my way of 'shaking things up a little' - i take it to the extreme, i know.

How about 'The DR challenges - Asking questions religites can't answer'?

Edit: Who's gonna cover the Torah - I vote for the 'To-rah-rah'?

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:45:00 UTC | #219002

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 19 by thewhitepearl

Apathy, I like it. I think that is what it shall be called.

Clearthinker, I thought you were teaching kids at a camp?

Of such profound questions are deep discussion made!

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Any way, anyone else find it a bit scary that clearthinker seems to pop up whenever he is mentioned?

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:11:00 UTC | #219005

kkelly's Avatar Comment 20 by kkelly

27, Have you even read Paula Kirby's in-depth rebuttal to your letters? She spells it out very clearly where you are intellectually dishonest, or just plain lacking.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:16:00 UTC | #219006

notsobad's Avatar Comment 21 by notsobad

How do Jews who take their faith seriously yet also value intelligent debate

...
hey offer a robust defence of the many good features that faith offers

They missed the point already (deliberately or not).

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:18:00 UTC | #219008

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 22 by thewhitepearl

kelly,

Hes off again. You have to say one of his names for him to reappear.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:22:00 UTC | #219009

fizhburn's Avatar Comment 23 by fizhburn

twp,

Oh, so he's kind of like a pathetic Beetlejuice. That would explain the profound weirdness of his posts.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:28:00 UTC | #219010

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 24 by Apathy personified

clearthinker,

Is there a problem with the website? Seems to be a lot of posts missing? Including at least one by RD.
There was a problem last weekend, quite a few people lost their previous posts.

If you believe that religion and science can co-exist in a consistant way - Where's the demarcation between them? Where does science 'hand over' to religion?

Edit: whitepearl, love the avatar!

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:31:00 UTC | #219012

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 25 by thewhitepearl

Fiz,

Exactly. Goodness me my brain is still mush because for the life of me I couldn't figure out what iconic fiction character I was reminded of.

Apathy,

Thanks! I can't even see it. I have another image..It's a cartoonish one (Reminds me of Sin City) with a man raising a broken bloody cricket bat.

I thought that one would be too intense.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:41:00 UTC | #219013

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 26 by Apathy personified

I thought that one would be too intense.
Ha - that's fantastic!
Although it sounds like more of a dramatic final battle picture, than a standard fight pose - still, you could photoshop the cricket bat into a picture of you, so it looks like you are holding it.....

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:46:00 UTC | #219016

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 27 by thewhitepearl

Apathy,

Photoshop is not one of my many skills.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:51:00 UTC | #219017

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 28 by Apathy personified

whitepearl,
From what i hear, it's not that hard to get the basics - but that's according to computer scientist people.
Personally, i've never used it - haven't ever felt the need to fake or alter a picture.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:57:00 UTC | #219019

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 29 by thewhitepearl

Ap,

Me neither dude. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it. It can't be that difficult.

So any way how are you doing today? For some reason I decided that I was going to research every god and goddess that was popular throughout history. Even fumbled onto a goddess and monsteress quiz. Interesting enough..

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:04:00 UTC | #219021

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 30 by Diacanu

Hey, here's another flea you missed.

I keep pointing it out to ya in every flipping flea thread.

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:15:00 UTC | #219024