← No atheist burials in Co Donegal

No atheist burials in Co Donegal - Comments

leodavinci's Avatar Comment 1 by leodavinci

Idiots

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:42:00 UTC | #226391

rev's Avatar Comment 2 by rev

ha ha I'm laughing out on this one, they are quite mad.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:47:00 UTC | #226396

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 3 by hungarianelephant

Nonsense. Donegal is so empty that you'll never know if someone is buried there. The IRA did this for years.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:50:00 UTC | #226398

Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy's Avatar Comment 4 by Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy

"She can go in with the Protestants." That's just comedy gold right there.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:55:00 UTC | #226400

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 5 by phasmagigas

"Therefore unless one is willing to compromise one's beliefs by agreeing to a religious service, it is impossible to be buried," he said.

by agreeing to a religious service an atheist wouldnt compromise their beliefs in the slightest, it mearly means that their burial would involve some silly babblings about god and jesus.

religicreem: apply daily to numb the brain.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:01:00 UTC | #226404

severalspeciesof's Avatar Comment 6 by severalspeciesof

Comment #239148 by HandyGeek:

"She can go in with the Protestants." That's just comedy gold right there.

You are most certainly right!

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:03:00 UTC | #226406

PJG's Avatar Comment 7 by PJG

My uncle was asked his religion when he went to do his National Service (some time around the early/mid 1950s in England). He said he was an atheist but saw the C.O. write "C of E" in the space on the form. My uncle laughed and said he hadn't realised that to be a member of the Church of England, one had to be an atheist. He insisted the C.O. changed the entry. I always thought that was pretty good. I'm not aware of his ever getting any stick for being an "out" atheist. I bet he would now!

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:03:00 UTC | #226407

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 8 by IaninPA

Why not cremate and be done with it? If she really was an atheist why care about being buried or where?

They can tie me up in a plastic bag and throw me in the land fill for all I care.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:06:00 UTC | #226409

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 9 by hungarianelephant

Ian Bamlett - That's good to know. Presumably we should wait until you're dead?

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:07:00 UTC | #226410

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 10 by Tezcatlipoca

No, no, no...not plastic. Burlap. My family prefers old burlap potato sacks.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:13:00 UTC | #226411

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 11 by IaninPA

Comment #239158 by hungarianelephant:

Presumably we should wait until you're dead?

Yes please. (Good point!)

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:15:00 UTC | #226413

Sigmund's Avatar Comment 12 by Sigmund

Donegal is a cold, wet windswept place, far from modern amenities.
I suspect the atheists are dying to get out of it.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:20:00 UTC | #226414

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 13 by Quetzalcoatl

This is quite funny, in a dark way.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:24:00 UTC | #226416

Smith's Avatar Comment 14 by Smith

"A spokesperson from Donegal County Council said it is only responsible for old and unused graveyards."

It's really strange.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:29:00 UTC | #226419

Sargeist's Avatar Comment 15 by Sargeist

Unused graveyard?

I have an unused graveyard in my bathroom at home.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:34:00 UTC | #226422

root2squared's Avatar Comment 16 by root2squared

So even in death, religion divides...

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:36:00 UTC | #226423

The author's Avatar Comment 17 by The author

When I am dead I want to be burnt and my ashes shall be snuffed in by the ones responsible.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:57:00 UTC | #226430

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 18 by Cartomancer

I thought all dead people were atheists. I've never heard a corpse express even the slightest hint of religious sentiment on its own. Generally they're quite happy to sit there and fall to pieces without worrying about metaphysical nonsense like religion.

Now braindead people on the other hand...

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:08:00 UTC | #226436

Darwinorlose's Avatar Comment 19 by Darwinorlose

"My wife asked if it meant they were going to start an atheist section and the woman said, 'oh no, she can go in with the Protestants'."

Reminds me of the story of Bertrand Russell, who when he was jailed during WWI for being a pacifist, wrote: "I was much cheered upon my arrival (in prison) by the warden at the gate who had to take particulars about me. He asked my religion, and I replied, Agnostic. He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh, Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Anyway, why not be buried with the Protestants? Being an atheist is the ultimate protestation anyway! The problem with Protestantism is that they didn't go far enough to protesting the source of religious corruption, namely belief in the deity itself.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:17:00 UTC | #226439

bugaboo's Avatar Comment 20 by bugaboo

Carto

I have. There's a lot of gas builds up in there.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:18:00 UTC | #226440

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 21 by justinesaracen

>>>>>I thought all dead people were atheists. I've never heard a corpse express even the slightest hint of religious sentiment on its own. Generally they're quite happy to sit there and fall to pieces<<<<<

Good point, Carto.

I only wish there would be a moment of reflection after a person was dead, sort of like the light spot at the center of the tv screen right after you turn it off. A moment for the believer to realize that no angels, no devils, nobody, nothing, was going to come along and take them any place, that in just about a second, the light was going off forever. The "Oh, shit," moment.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:22:00 UTC | #226441

Zion's Avatar Comment 22 by Zion

What is the problem here, haven't they heard of cremation, which is superior and cheaper to burial anyway?

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:25:00 UTC | #226443

beebhack's Avatar Comment 23 by beebhack

Reminds me of when I was taken to A and E with a rugby injury (nasty, rough game). The nurse asked me what religion I was. When I answered 'nothing' she said 'I'll put C of E, then'. Made me smile, despite the waves of agony (contd. p 94).

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:30:00 UTC | #226450

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 24 by Tezcatlipoca

Why be buried or cremated at all...

"Ain't we gonna bury 'em Josey? Nope, Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms..." -Outlaw Josey Wales

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:30:00 UTC | #226453

Blue Monster 65's Avatar Comment 25 by Blue Monster 65

I am stealing this premise for a skit. "... in with the Protestants" - HA! Too funny.

Scott

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:31:00 UTC | #226454

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 26 by Matt H.

What's the point of getting worked about this? If you're an atheist, you shouldn't really care about what happens to your body.

Personally I'm donating my entire body to medical research/organ donation. I won't have any use for it.

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:13:00 UTC | #226476

refuteist's Avatar Comment 27 by refuteist

Try the Wikipedia entry for "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at" for the full rounding of the cycle of kife and death and recycling!

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:36:00 UTC | #226489

Raiko's Avatar Comment 28 by Raiko

*laugh* Try turning this around to a place where there are only Muslim cemetaries and a Christian wants to be buried...

"Therefore unless one is willing to compromise one's beliefs by agreeing to an Islamic service, it is impossible to be buried," he said.

Well, if that ever happens, let's go and get enough popcorn for the show!

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:51:00 UTC | #226492

KillerChihuahua's Avatar Comment 29 by KillerChihuahua

That reminds me of the old joke concerning the "Irish troubles" which involved someone who was asked at a civilian roadblock whether he was Catholic or Protestant. When he replied "atheist" he was asked "Catholic atheist or Protestant atheist?"

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:56:00 UTC | #226494

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 30 by Dr. Strangegod

One of my favorite Clint lines ever, Tezca. (Though I suppose we must give credit to the screenwriter.) I often take solace in the Pink Floyd line, "And the worms, they enter his brain," though I think Waters didn't really mean that literally. The idea of worms eating my brain is not at all gross; it makes me happy for the worms!

Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:08:00 UTC | #226502