← Gaming Evolves

Gaming Evolves - Comments

shemp333's Avatar Comment 1 by shemp333

It sure sounds like it's quite a bit off the reality of evolution. However, it should be a ton of fun to play. I'll pick this one up for sure. I'm gonna try to evolve into some sort of bird and get the flock outta here!

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 00:17:00 UTC | #228360

Wosret's Avatar Comment 2 by Wosret

I think this is excellent, and I can't wait to play it. Personally, I think that anyone who criticizes this for not being accurate, or thinks it ought to be accurate or it will be confusing, doesn't play video games. I really don't think many gamers play video games thinking that what they are seeing accurately describes reality.

I wonder if you have the option of staying in the water, and evolving into an intelligent society in the water. They seemed to imply no, but I hope you can.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 00:35:00 UTC | #228371

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 3 by rod-the-farmer

Cool. Glad they did not name it "Spawn". As in Spawn of the Devil. That would surely get it banned by all sorts of fundie churches and islam. "Spore of the Devil" just does not have the same ring to it. And while it may not be a perfect match to real evolution at the moment, wanna bet it will get closer in future versions ? As in "evolve" ?

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 00:35:00 UTC | #228372

Shuggy's Avatar Comment 4 by Shuggy

Aren't IDers just going to say "Sure it gets better because it was Intelligently Designed™ at the outset, and humans playing God are driving the organisms to greater complexity, etc. so Nyur Nyur Nyur." ?

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 00:58:00 UTC | #228387

leodavinci's Avatar Comment 5 by leodavinci

Here's the official trailer, looks good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVH9Q8M8eaQ

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 01:25:00 UTC | #228399

MartinSGill's Avatar Comment 6 by MartinSGill

I was planning to pre-order this game.

I've changed my mind though since I learned that EA are going to use SecuROM DRM for the game. Given the fiasco that caused with Bioshock and Mass Effect and the fact that quite a few anti-virus organisations have categorised SecuROM as malware given how invasive and strict it is.

Don't take my word for it... google around, the official Spore forums are EA are a good place to start. (http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/spore-game-discussion/329962-spore-securom-death.html) A quick google will find thousands of posts about it.

Or look on wikipedia for the effects of secuRom on your computer.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 01:34:00 UTC | #228402

shemp333's Avatar Comment 7 by shemp333

I guess I'm not a "gamer" and never play video games. (big eye roll) Gee, Mitchell, I wish I was included in your prestigious club of people who play video games day and night! *titters*

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 01:35:00 UTC | #228403

Konradius's Avatar Comment 8 by Konradius

Shuggy said:

Perhaps, but I'd rather deal with id people than creationists.
This game supports 2 main tenants of evolution.
1. An old earth.
2. Evolution includes humans.

The mechanism, while very important, takes a backseat. But once people have moved from their old ideas to ideas including the above 2 things, they are far more likely to travel further.
Introduce DNA as a papertrail and explain how DNA works and you're there.
And as well, even though people will think intelligence is inevitable, the form 'people' are in is not fixed. This is a major blow to the 'god created man in his likeness' idea.

Now only to get this game into the hands of those kids... I hope the game gets as many expansions as the sims (namely a ludicrous amount), that would keep the game into the public eye. I'd hate this game to be a bestseller for a month and then only to return to 'best of 2008' lists.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 01:36:00 UTC | #228404

Bullet-Magnet's Avatar Comment 9 by Bullet-Magnet

~I've changed my mind though since I learned that EA are going to use SecuROM DRM for the game.~

The effects of SecuROM have been toned down significantly for the game. It's as if the initial announcement was nothing more than an attention grab.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 01:54:00 UTC | #228415

captain underpants's Avatar Comment 10 by captain underpants

There's a TED talk by Will Wright here:

and a downloadable trial version of Spore here:

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 02:47:00 UTC | #228432

Godfree Gordon's Avatar Comment 11 by Godfree Gordon

Popular Culture guys

This is the key to winning the minds of young IDers

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 03:07:00 UTC | #228442

Wosret's Avatar Comment 12 by Wosret

11. Comment #241260 by Godfree Gordon

I agree. It's when evolution becomes second nature to everything that involves life, that people will get used to it, to expect it, and to not even think about it. As it says in the article, to just accept it like they do gravity. It won't be an alien concept only for scientists.

I see this more and more, and I like it. Everything that has life in it, and discusses species, and origins should always include evolution.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 03:21:00 UTC | #228450

mixmastergaz's Avatar Comment 13 by mixmastergaz

I have to 2nd Godfree Gordon's comment. Those who wish to will always find a way of spinning a story to their advantage (consider the republican responses to the news of Sarah Palin's daughter's pregnancy; "Hey, at least she didn't have an abortion. We're republicans; we're accustomed to achieving breath-taking heights of hypocrisy"). For some people, this game might trigger a break-through. Aayan Hirsi Ali was greatly influenced by 'Nancy Drew' novels. Popular culture could be a useful weapon in our 'war of ideas'.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 03:38:00 UTC | #228459

Wosret's Avatar Comment 14 by Wosret

7. Comment #241220 by shemp333

u wish u cood be leet son but teh world noes dat i pwn ur face.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 04:42:00 UTC | #228500

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 16 by Cartomancer

Sounds a lot more interesting than the creationist version of the same thing, where you sit there and watch god make everything at the beginning and then nothing happens for the rest of the game.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 05:37:00 UTC | #228531

Ishruul's Avatar Comment 17 by Ishruul

I already have 164 creatures created so far, can't wait till the whole game comes out.

Mr.Wright certainly did a great job with this one, even if it'S not 100percent accurate with the fact of life. Still, it beat the crap of the 0 percent creationist are so happy with!

P.S. Cartomancer, I'm still hoping for that VIP badge for your funeral :)

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 05:54:00 UTC | #228540

popecorkyxxiv's Avatar Comment 18 by popecorkyxxiv

Games like this are just what we need. Target children with evolution, science, reason and all those things rationists and the enlightened value and we can open their minds before they are barricaded behind walls of theistic dogma. And there is no force more able to shape young minds than video games.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 07:11:00 UTC | #228583

lozzer's Avatar Comment 19 by lozzer

*Evil evolutionist laugh*

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:42:00 UTC | #228633

ggab7768's Avatar Comment 20 by ggab7768

I'm in agreement with many of the posters here.
I think this could do a lot of good for we few reasonable souls.
Sadly, anything pleasant involving evolution is an improvement.
What a world, what a world.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:14:00 UTC | #228637

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 21 by Gregg Townsend

My thought is the game would be a good way to spend some time having fun with my granddaughters and it may open an opportunity to discuss how the game differs from reality (evolution by natural selection).

This just may turn into the opportunity I've been looking for to counter superstition in my granddaughter's upbringing without 'proselytizing'.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:48:00 UTC | #228654

jonjermey's Avatar Comment 22 by jonjermey

Spot the non-sequitur...

"Evolution may seem impossible to capture in a computer. It is a hugely complicated process..."

Even if the second sentence were true - which it isn't - it still wouldn't follow from the first. Hugely complicated processes are what computers do best.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 12:54:00 UTC | #228722

AoClay's Avatar Comment 23 by AoClay

I don't know, I imagine having no foresight is hard to capture on a computer to the point it should. I could be wrong.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:13:00 UTC | #228727

Rational_G's Avatar Comment 24 by Rational_G

Uh, turn off the computer and go out and experience the real world.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:16:00 UTC | #228750

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 25 by mordacious1

I didn't like the trailer much (from post #5).

Too much: "SOMEONE decided they should live on land...SOMEONE decided etc.

Sounds like you get to be god and decide what happens...natural selection has nothing to do with it. I'll have to play the trial version before I get too critical though. Open mind and all...

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:41:00 UTC | #228752

Thor'Ungal's Avatar Comment 26 by Thor'Ungal

The game is essentially theistic evolution, I guess it would have to be otherwise there would be nothing to play. I've got to see if I can score a copy (price and time dependent).

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 17:30:00 UTC | #228756

Koreman's Avatar Comment 27 by Koreman

Apart from games and simulations, in some rare occasions blind spontaneous evolution has been observed in cyberspace. Computer viruses mixing up with eachother, i.e. virus A infecting virus B, replacing its payload, dodging virus scanners.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:50:00 UTC | #228783

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 28 by Dr. Strangegod

Can't wait to play this. Little sis and bro are definitely getting this for Christmas (ha ha!), and I'm going to try to get some teachers I know to use it in the classroom. When teaching evolution, you can have kids play the game and then discuss the differences between the game mechanism and actual evolution.

Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:02:00 UTC | #228793

Wosret's Avatar Comment 29 by Wosret

24. Comment #241591 by Rational_G

25. Comment #241593 by mordacious1

As my brother told me when I sent him the trailer, "so, you're essentially Jesus of the catholic church".

If you watch the ted talk he clearly describes players as gods. This is directed evolution. Evolution without Darwinian mechanisms.

Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:55:00 UTC | #228896

njwong's Avatar Comment 30 by njwong

26. Comment #241597 by Thor'Ungal

The game is essentially theistic evolution...

Polytheistic evolution?