← Evolutionists Flock To Darwin-Shaped Wall Stain

Evolutionists Flock To Darwin-Shaped Wall Stain - Comments

slhamilton's Avatar Comment 1 by slhamilton

Brilliant!

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 09:50:00 UTC | #230716

RigoJancsi's Avatar Comment 2 by RigoJancsi

I saw Dawkins in my toast this morning! Find it on ebay! :-)

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:12:00 UTC | #230727

BlueTesla's Avatar Comment 3 by BlueTesla

Someone sent this to me in a FWD:FWD:FWD email, as if it was a serious article...so be on the lookout I guess.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:38:00 UTC | #230729

Manson's Avatar Comment 4 by Manson

Absolutely brilliant... gotta love The Onion.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:56:00 UTC | #230732

Ex~'s Avatar Comment 5 by Ex~

This is brilliant satire.

I actually laughed out loud when Dawkins started speaking in hushed tones about how sacred and important his first-edition of The Origin of Species was to him in his latest documentary. Seriously: Darwin was NOT the first person to come up with evolution, nor natural selection, and he even neglected to publish his material until he realized other people had come to the same independent conclusion as he did.

I understand being a "Darwin bulldog" and all, especially in America where intelligent design runs rampant destroying our nation, but healthy skepticism of even the most brilliant and proven ideas and a bit of humility is important in science, or you just become another irrational faith-based robot like the creationists.

Darwin is awesome, but seriously, calm down on the worshiping, Dawkins et all.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:05:00 UTC | #230733

quantum_flux's Avatar Comment 6 by quantum_flux

Hahahaha! Those Darwinians ought to win the Darwin Award.

I still maintain that the Scientific Method in combination with Mathematics and Logical Reasoning is the only way to discover the truth about the universe we live in (Plato, Aristotle, Newton, Descarte, et al). The truth about the world can not be revealed by "divine revelation" like most authority figures and religious pocket changers would have you believe. It was the Christians who stole various philosophies away from the Greek Philosophers of Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle and then the Christians worked the secular logic into their dogma and creeds (one of the reasons why Christianity has gotten so big compared to other ancient religions, in my opinion, is that the Christians tailored something logical into something that amounted to a very effective meme by inverting the logic from the individual to the socialized community, same with communism too). Anyhow, it is atheists that need to take the secular logic of old and new and then redogmatize it the way it ought to be.... Survival of the Fittest, Capitalism, Free Trade, Think for Yourself, Mathematics, Scientific Method, etc and to some degree that has gradually been happening for the last 500 years or so since the Rennaissance and the Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution, the various political wars and revolutions, and the cultural/technological progress has been growing in leaps and bounds as a result.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:22:00 UTC | #230735

AoClay's Avatar Comment 7 by AoClay

I don't get the equivocation with communism there at all. Sounds like a lame way to mix what exists with what should be.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:08:00 UTC | #230746

quantum_flux's Avatar Comment 8 by quantum_flux

Read the book of Acts if you don't believe that Communism is an ideological spinoff of Christian Principles.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:22:00 UTC | #230747

theonlybap's Avatar Comment 9 by theonlybap

Socrates and Plato were anti-democratic and early communists. Aristotle was also anti-capitalistic. Then Aquinas of the Catholic church adopted a lot of Aristotle's views on economics.

Don't blame the Christians for communism, Socrates was its grandfather.

Fantastic article here, though! Genius.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 14:38:00 UTC | #230768

Apeseed's Avatar Comment 10 by Apeseed

You could also argue that Marx's ideas are a secularised form of millenarian Judaism. After all the Christians inherited millenarianism from the Jews and although Marx's father converted to Christianity he was descended form a rabbinical family.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:06:00 UTC | #230776

quantum_flux's Avatar Comment 11 by quantum_flux

The early Christian apologists did use Greek logic to argue for their religion. Albeit, it was a very distorted argument that ran against Christian doctrine indeed. The Christian apologetics are the trojan horse that lead to the meme of Christianity. The book of Proverbs is the trojan horse that leads to the meme of Judaism.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:27:00 UTC | #230782

keith's Avatar Comment 12 by keith

Ex~,

Really? That's interesting.

Is that right? I genuinely thought it was Darwin who first thought of the theory of natural selection. I hadn't realised that he had neglected to publish his theory. I thought he was busy accumulating further evidence so as to make a more convincing argument. However, if you claim that he was negligent I'll believe you. Either way, please tell us who, if not Darwin, first thought up the idea of natural selection as I like to know such things. (I play for a pub quiz team. I'll await your answer with bated breath).

Thank you for reminding everybody here about what is and what isn't important in science. I guess you must be a scientist yourself, right? Please tell us, in what way should we be skeptical about the theory of natural selection? I suppose we should also be skeptical about, say, the geocentric theory because that is also 'a brilliant and proven idea'? Are you suggesting that we be skeptical about all ideas? Wow, that's wild! Does this include the theory of plate techtonics?

Also, how should we show our humility in regard to the theory of natural selection, or any other theory? By claiming that these theories are no better than alternative theories? That's pretty revolutionary. You must be someone who can really think outside the box.

Darwin is awesome, but seriously, calm down on the worshiping, Dawkins et all.

Thanks for the warning. I'm sure both Richard Dawkins and the people on this site need someone to rein them in when they get too enthusiastic about a subject. Yours are indeed wise words.

p.s. 'Dawkins et all'. Do you mean 'Dawkins et al', or 'Dawkins ate all [the biscuits]'?

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 16:53:00 UTC | #230790

Apeseed's Avatar Comment 13 by Apeseed

I hadn't realised that he had 'neglected' to publish his theory. I thought he was busy accumulating further evidence so as to make a more convincing argument.

The poster is probably referring to Alfred Russell Wallace who had independently come to the same conclusions regarding speciation and evolution.
As I understand it, Darwin held off publishing more for fear of the effect it would have on his wife and other Christian believers in general than for lack of evidence but overcame that when he learnt that Wallace might beat him to it.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:22:00 UTC | #230793

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 14 by Laurie Fraser

Ah, Keith - beautiful. I was going to post words to the effect of "quantum flux, you're an idiot - fuck off", but your post makes anything like that redundant.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:23:00 UTC | #230794

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 15 by Laurie Fraser

Thanks, Sarmatae - my absolute mistake. My apologies, quantum, I misread the post author.

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:45:00 UTC | #230795

cascadia_pacifica's Avatar Comment 16 by cascadia_pacifica

Hey! I have a pile of dog shit that looks just like Jesus Christ. Anyone want to buy it?

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:28:00 UTC | #230799

Jivlain's Avatar Comment 17 by Jivlain

keith: Patrick Matthew discovered natural selection a quarter of a century before Darwin, but thought it fairly obvious and published it in an appendix to "On Naval Timber and Arboriculture", of all things, and did not develop it much, nor extend it as far as the origin of species.

William Wells also figured something along the general lines, though his only applied to skin colour, though it does seem he suspected it could apply further.

In addition, there was Edward Blyth, but it seems he was something of an essentialist.

Darwin noted Blyth's work in the first chapter of On the Origin of Species, but was not aware of Wells or Matthew at the time of publication, though he later acknowledged both.

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 01:57:00 UTC | #230822

Communist's Avatar Comment 18 by Communist

theonlybap wrote:

Don't blame the Christians for communism, Socrates was its grandfather.

Fantastic article here, though! Genius.

This is complete and utter nonsense. Plato's ideal state was a rigid class state in which the different strata in society should not intermarry, and shout limit social interaction to what was strictly necessary. Also, only males above fifty should be allowed to study philosophy. This is right wing politics, not communism. Plato's view of history was one of degeneration over time, away from an ancient ideal society. We find this again in later right wing thinkers like Oswald Spengler, Leo Strauss and Osama Bin Laden.

It does not make much sense to say that Aristotle was anticapitalist either. Capitalism as a social system was not relevant to the ancient greeks.

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 02:18:00 UTC | #230825

keith's Avatar Comment 19 by keith

Jivlain,

Thanks for the info. I'm amazed that more people prior to Darwin didn't notice references to natural selection in that classic of its time, "On Naval Timber and Arboriculture", a book that must have graced the bookcases of every self-respecting household!

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 03:17:00 UTC | #230833

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 20 by Laurie Fraser

Comment #243710 by Communist

And then we get quantum_flux's assertion "Read the book of Acts if you don't believe that Communism is an ideological spinoff of Christian Principles".

What is it with many of the posters on this site and their ridiculous prejudice - as if the "evil of communism" is something that goes without saying? And to tie it to early Christianity - oh my.

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 03:24:00 UTC | #230834

keith's Avatar Comment 21 by keith

Apeseed,

You may be right. However, I believe that Darwin was initially only reluctant to draw out the consequences of his theory as they related to mankind, since these could indeed have shocked both his wife and others. The Origin of Species only touches on this subject implicitly.

I still think that the main reason for Darwin's delay in publishing the Origin of Species was because he foresaw the storm that his ideas would cause and felt he had to be on very sure ground before going public.

Either way, whether he was reluctant to shock his wife or wanted to prepare a water-tight case, neither of these explanations can be described as 'neglecting to publish', as Ex~ suggested.

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 03:54:00 UTC | #230835

NMcC's Avatar Comment 22 by NMcC

It looks to me more like Bishop Brennan, and anyone who says differently deserves a good kick up the arse!

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 04:52:00 UTC | #230837

Richard Morgan's Avatar Comment 23 by Richard Morgan

WARNING - Attention-seeking post!

I would like to invite you to listen to a song I have composed, kindly interpreted by a friend of a lovely person I met here.

HEALING

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 04:54:00 UTC | #230839

bluebird's Avatar Comment 24 by bluebird

This slice of Onion is delicious!! We loved it! Personal coincidence-- we were discussing this very subject while supping last eve.

Off Topic: Saw this tidbit recently. Not surprisingly, the Pope (and others) have their bloomers in a bunch over this: http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/pope_hopping_mad_over_crucified_frog__556379

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 04:54:00 UTC | #230840

Mbee's Avatar Comment 25 by Mbee

Comment #243725 by bluebird

Interesting. It is not as if Jesus was the only one crucified.
How come the Christians feel they have a moratorium on the cross symbol. It is also strange that they chose the cross, I guess if Jesus had been hung they would all be worshiping at the noose! ;<)

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 06:13:00 UTC | #230846

Murky's Avatar Comment 26 by Murky

Comment #243725 by bluebird

Or his COCK...Hmmmmmmm

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 06:51:00 UTC | #230847

quantum_flux's Avatar Comment 27 by quantum_flux

Communism = Christian Socialism = ecconomical perpetual motion = Maxwell's Demon = Moses' Burning Bush that Doesn't Consume Itself as Fuel

You can't get any energy out of the system unless you put some form of energy into the system.... call it activation energy. You can't just create energy from nothing.... and the same goes for work. Communism is only still around because of cheap slave labor and oil I believe.

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 08:01:00 UTC | #230861

keith's Avatar Comment 28 by keith

quantum_flux,

Communism is only still around because of cheap slave labor and oil I believe.

This is a little too deep for me. Could you spell it out?

I'm not sure but maybe all you are saying is that Communism is still around because we don't live in a perfect world. If this is indeed what you are saying, where does the oil come in?

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 08:25:00 UTC | #230872

quantum_flux's Avatar Comment 29 by quantum_flux

>Crude Oil and Total US Petroleum Imports

As of May 2008:

Russia-> 119 thousand barrels of crude and 441 thousand barrels of petrol per day

Brazil-> 318 thousand barrels of crude and 335 thousand barrels of petrol per day

Venezuela-> 1.030 million barrels of crude and 1.171 million barrels of petrol per day

And that is just oil being sold to the US alone. Forget about Chinese sweat shop labor though. I guess with such a huge population, China would go broke if it tried to pay its citizens an actual wage that is compareable to US wages. Save for Starbucks and McDonalds (okay capital enterprize in general) being allowed into China, people would still be living in small farm towns instead of in huge metropolis cities such as Shanghai. Even then, however, the Chinese do run on their own domestic coal though, and I've never seen a harder work ethic in the general populace than I did visiting China. Free market capitalism is working it's charm there I tell ya, even if at half capacity! I think China is in a transition stage, I seriously do. If the US stops sending manufacturing business to China (I'm looking at Walmart) and starts producing domestic oil (I'm looking at the Oil companies), we'll stay competitive in the world economy.

Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:05:00 UTC | #230886

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 30 by mordacious1

Bluebird

That is the worst avatar I have ever seen.

(ps. Go Raiders)