← Art teacher made student pray to Jesus for forgiveness

Art teacher made student pray to Jesus for forgiveness - Comments

Even Adam's Avatar Comment 1 by Even Adam

Absolutely disgusting.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:12:00 UTC | #237749

ggab7768's Avatar Comment 2 by ggab7768

GET'EM RIGGS!!!
None of us should ever sit on our hands in a situation like this.
And an art teacher!! That really hurts.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:17:00 UTC | #237750

decius's Avatar Comment 3 by decius

Comment #250839 by ggab7768

Should we dance on our hands, instead?

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:18:00 UTC | #237751

ggab7768's Avatar Comment 4 by ggab7768

Are you commenting about my dancing monkey?
Yeah, my monkey dances. What of it?
You're just jealous.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:23:00 UTC | #237752

Dustin14's Avatar Comment 6 by Dustin14

I couldn't help but laugh that the latest news section currently reads like this, "Art teacher made student pray to Jesus for forgiveness." "Look Who's Irrational Now" and that second article is supposed to be about how rational evangelicals are compared to atheists.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:29:00 UTC | #237754

decius's Avatar Comment 5 by decius

Comment #250841 by ggab7768

You're just jealous.

Exactly!

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:29:00 UTC | #237753

MedMonkey's Avatar Comment 7 by MedMonkey

I hope he does sue the school system! This kind of behavior requires publicity. The public needs to know!

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:52:00 UTC | #237757

root2squared's Avatar Comment 8 by root2squared

Fire the teacher.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:05:00 UTC | #237761

Double Bass Atheist's Avatar Comment 9 by Double Bass Atheist

Absolutely despicable.
That teacher should be fired, but sadly, it is unlikely that anything significant will actually happen to her.

Kudos to OBC for bringing this story out from the forum, and giving it the wider audience it deserves.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:06:00 UTC | #237762

TalkyMeat's Avatar Comment 10 by TalkyMeat

That is utterly disgraceful! Personally, I think the teacher in question should be forced to piss on a Eucharist in front of the class. I hope she's fired, never teaches again, and is bankrupted by legal action. One has to wonder how often shit like this happens and no media outlet picks it up.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:10:00 UTC | #237763

Isherwood's Avatar Comment 11 by Isherwood

As a long time Zombie fan I'm outraged that...

Wait, that may not be the best way to start my post. You have said it all already. I agree.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:24:00 UTC | #237766

geru's Avatar Comment 12 by geru

Wow. The bastard should be prosecuted for assault, what else would you call someone physically forcing a child on his knees and ordering him by threats (I would imagine) to worship to your hallucinations? Plus the whole authority angle of the assailant being the victim's teacher.

And all this because of a t-shirt. For an art teachers, he/she sure has a narrow view of people's right to express themselves through art, even if it is only a band t-shirt.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:37:00 UTC | #237769

RascoHeldall's Avatar Comment 13 by RascoHeldall

This teacher is a child abuser and has surely forfeited his right to employment.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:39:00 UTC | #237771

geru's Avatar Comment 14 by geru

Although, I guess they need every teacher in America they get, so if this goes to court they should devise a more suitable punishment.

How about shipping the teacher to San Francisco to a mass of the Church of Satan, and forcing him to kneel before the altar and pray to Satan? That oughta teach him to force his beliefs on other people. :)

(Is it a 'him' or a 'her'? Somehow I would take a wild guess that it's a 'her'.)

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:58:00 UTC | #237774

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 15 by NewEnglandBob

That public school art teacher should be stripped naked, flogged and then mounted on a cross and burned.....

Oh wait, theists do that type of thing.

.....fire that teacher.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:06:00 UTC | #237777

aleprechaunist's Avatar Comment 16 by aleprechaunist

Reading the text properly, it's very clearly a 'her'... (as opposed to a 'he','him', or 'his')

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:09:00 UTC | #237778

ZT's Avatar Comment 17 by ZT

Just as well he wasnt into cradle of filth with a 'jesus is a cunt' T-shirt on. Would have been taken out in front of the school and burnt at the stake.

He should sue for sure, be great publicity for his band if not the whole human rights agenda.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:26:00 UTC | #237787

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 18 by robotaholic

wow if that doesn't inspire ya to write a song nothing would!

oh and yeah NOONE forces ME to pray NOT EVER

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:30:00 UTC | #237788

JackM's Avatar Comment 19 by JackM

Why is everyone so surprised about this?

Everyone knows its usual practice for Christians to get young boys to get down on their knees and have their hands ready at their mouth ... rather convenient stance don't you think :)

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:33:00 UTC | #237789

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 20 by Dhamma

If I were them I'd definitely never let this pass.

When I was getting my elementary eduction many years ago, I had a teacher that taught us bible stories virtually every day. Every day we came to school we had to say shalom, and when we left school we had to say shalom shalom.

When you're that young it's hard to understand what it's all about. I remember I liked all the interesting stories she always told about various biblical characters. Mostly because I didn't have to do anything but listen!

When I was in second grade, I swore in class once (I was a real rascal), and she got really pissed and told me "When you leave third grade [and get a new teacher], you will be a Christian". I can't remember what I answered, but I won't forget how shocked I was by her statement.

Still I know it took me till I was about 18 years old to realize that what she was preaching for us every day was against the law, and most certainly not on the curriculum. Not easy for an eight year old (even if I was already an atheist) to know what's on the curriculum. That none of the parents ever reacted on it is a mystery, or maybe they truly didn't know about it.

Fact of the matter is, that now that I understand what was going on, I realize she was abusing our young minds to indoctrinate her beliefs upon us.

Sure, she never managed to convert me, so it may seem trivial, but what about all the proper education I was left out on due to her need to imprint her bullshit every day?

I wish I was able to process it today, but I was too old before I understood we had been "abused".

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:37:00 UTC | #237791

Hellene's Avatar Comment 21 by Hellene

Hmmmnnnn........

I think the faculty of the school should have to take ethics and religious sensitivity training with a test at the end of it to receive certification. No certification, no teaching. And make it annual.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 17:25:00 UTC | #237799

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 22 by rod-the-farmer

One can easily imagine Ben Stein jumping on top of this right away.....oh, wait, she did not teach creationism/ID. Well, why let a little thing like the truth get in the way of a good story, right, Ben ?

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 17:31:00 UTC | #237801

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 23 by Dhamma

Rod: In all honesty, I hardly find Ben worth mentioning even. In no way should he be treated as an authority on the matter, as he most certainly isn't one.

Unless we could use it to our advantage. If they want him to be considered an authority, we'd "win" even easier I guess!

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 17:59:00 UTC | #237805

Wosret's Avatar Comment 24 by Wosret

They should string here up! Boil her in oil! Stretch her entrails out along the school with horses! Put her in that rat helmet from 1984! Show her naked pictures of her family members! Make her watch Jerry springer the opera! Give her several unnecessary surgeries!

C'mon... what she did was irresponsible and idiotic, but it is hardly worth her ruination. Abusing one's authority should be punished, as it would be for in such case. I fail to see why it is so much worse when you make someone pray to your imaginary friend. We don't have our own imaginary friend being offended like they do, so I don't think that it is all that big a deal.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:33:00 UTC | #237813

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 25 by Border Collie

Damn, let it go ... you guys should have gone to school when I was a kid in rural north Texas. Something like this was nothing. I'm not saying that the teacher shouldn't have a little get-your-act-together session with the principal, I get the issue, but a law suit?! Lose a job?! Start a law suit and guess who wins ... the lawyers ... and all it does is energize the polarities, more biting, scratching and kicking, another Jerry Springer episode ... and nothing changes.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:55:00 UTC | #237819

sidelined's Avatar Comment 26 by sidelined

Mitchell says

"I fail to see why it is so much worse when you make someone pray to your imaginary friend"

How can you fail to see that forcing someone to their knees physically and demanding they pray to any deity at all is a step up the scale from mere abuse of authority into the realm of assault and battery? Authoritarian pressure is one thing physical assault is quite something else.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:00:00 UTC | #237821

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 27 by Diacanu

Mitchell/Collie-

Yeeaah, you're right, let it go.
Wait until she fucks a kid before going all kerflooey.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:02:00 UTC | #237823

Thor'Ungal's Avatar Comment 29 by Thor'Ungal

"She abused her authority, and should be punished, I agree with that. Though I don't think she should lose her job over a single case of this... if she is known to abuse her authority, or does it again, then she should lose her job over it. Other than that, lighten up."

I agree, this was wrong and should be grounds for repremand but hardly for sacking. It might also be noted that given the visceral reaction evident here the teacher herself probably needs help.

Less making Martyrs and more naming and shaming I think.

Edit: spelling, I miss my spellchecker

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:07:00 UTC | #237826

ggab7768's Avatar Comment 28 by ggab7768

Border Collie
I would have to respectfully disagree.
If she insulted him in front of his peers for just appearing to have different beliefs than her, and presumably most of them, and forced him to be submissive before her asking jesus for forgiveness... pal, what doesn't make you sick about that.
Even if he doesn't have different beliefs, that is the way he will be viewed by the other children. Children aren't known for their kindness toward outsiders.
Do you really think that's ok.
Sure, I had worse in Kentucky in the 70's, that isn't remotely the point.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:07:00 UTC | #237824

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 30 by Diacanu

*Shrug* I had teachers who were fired for less.

If my 5th grade teacher got the boot for being a slackass "big buddy", then sure as fuck a foaming Jesus nut aught to be.

Consistency, America, can we fucking have some?

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:11:00 UTC | #237830