← When Atheists Attack

When Atheists Attack - Comments

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 1 by huzonfurst

Sam Harris for President!

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:27:00 UTC | #237879

gcdavis's Avatar Comment 2 by gcdavis

Sarah Palin's ignorance is guaranteed because of how she has spent the past 44 years on earth.I care even more about the many things Palin thinks she knows but doesn't: like her conviction that the Biblical God consciously directs world events.

Reminds me of another illiterate who could repeat the words dictated to him without understanding them, he remembered every one of them and repeated them later to those who were able to write then down, his name was Mohamed. There's a wonderful absurdity imagining that Sarah Palin is receiving the words of god through her autocue.

Brilliant article by the way.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:29:00 UTC | #237880

the way's Avatar Comment 3 by the way

an over-the-brink, Rapture-ready extremist. Palin seems as though she might be the real McCoy

It has crossed my mind more than once, that now these extremist fundies may possibly have one of their own in the White House one day. What would it take for a lone nutter or a group deciding that McCain is too much of a soft touch and take him out, paving the way for their gal?

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:43:00 UTC | #237884

Wosret's Avatar Comment 4 by Wosret

I absolutely love to read Sam's writing. I wish he would write another book already, so I could read it.

I share his fears, though I'm Canadian, and have my own election to worry a-boot. I fear we're both screwed. "The end of days", a self fulfilling prophecy...I hope not.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:04:00 UTC | #237891

jaytee_555's Avatar Comment 5 by jaytee_555

This is a superb article.

What a tragedy that such clear thinking and incisive writing is beyond the capacity of the religious right to appreciate.

You can hardly expect someone of Sarah Palin's poverty of grasp to realise she is utterly out of her depth - but the choice of VP was not hers; the blame rests squarely upon McCaine's shoulders for this iresponsible, selfish and cynical exploitation of the cream of American stupidity.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:04:00 UTC | #237892

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 6 by Diacanu

Well...shit, I was going to do a whole thing on my blog about "eletism", and "a president I could have a beer with".

Then Sam comes along, and blows me to bits.

Thanks a lot! B-(

Lol, nah, more people will read this than my shit, and they need to.
:P

Still...*sighs*.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:29:00 UTC | #237895

BrandySpears's Avatar Comment 7 by BrandySpears

I hope that Sam keeps speaking out against her. I'm sure the "conservative" atheists are giving him shit. Hitchens didn't bother with a criticim of her fanaticism in his article.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:31:00 UTC | #237896

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 8 by Laurie Fraser

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn by urging posters to read Anna Banana's superb blog entry:

A real insight into the Palin phenomenon.

P.S. PM for you, Diacanu

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:37:00 UTC | #237898

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 9 by Diacanu

Laurie-

Answered, but you won't like it. :P

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:38:00 UTC | #237899

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 11 by Laurie Fraser

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:40:00 UTC | #237901

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 10 by Steve Zara

Comment #250988 by Diacanu

This issued was covered well in the West Wing, with Jed Bartlett urged to stop acting like "Uncle Fluffy".

Matt Damon (not just a pretty face, but politically active) has attacked Palin very effectively as well:

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:40:00 UTC | #237900

atp's Avatar Comment 12 by atp

I hate coming to richarddawkins.net and reading political propraganda crap like this.

This is not about religion, it is not about politicas, it is not about facts, it is only about attacking a person and using rhetorics and twisting and bending every fact, half fact and lie to make a person look as bad as possible.

And it's speaking to the masses, who goes "amen" at every negative word and every strike.

Yes, she's religious, and yes that sucks. But for me that doesn't warrant every kind of political propaganda. And I think it has nothing to do on a site like this.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:44:00 UTC | #237904

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 14 by Diacanu

atp-

Kiss my ass.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:45:00 UTC | #237906

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 13 by Laurie Fraser

Wow, Steve - I now know why I like Matt Damon.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:45:00 UTC | #237905

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 15 by Laurie Fraser

atp - this is a "clear-thinking oasis". If rational people can't discuss the abysmal state of U.S. politics here, and discuss, moreover, the connection between reactionary politics and fundamentalist christianity, then ....?

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:47:00 UTC | #237907

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 16 by Diacanu

Steve-

Saw that clip.
I dig it.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:48:00 UTC | #237908

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 17 by Diacanu

Laurie, 'nother PM for you.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:50:00 UTC | #237909

BrandySpears's Avatar Comment 18 by BrandySpears

atp, I thought it was atheists who were seen as the most unelectable group of people in the USA? One of America's most prominent atheists speaks out against a fundamentalist rapture-ready nutter having access to our nuclear weapons and you have a problem with that? Damned if you do, Damned it you don't.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:51:00 UTC | #237910

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 20 by Laurie Fraser

Thanks, Diacanu - I'm on it.

I'm amazed that most Americans didn't just have a look at Palin, discover what a fucktard she is, realise that the Republicans only picked her because she's female and stereotypically attractive, and just say to McCain "Fuck off."

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:54:00 UTC | #237912

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 19 by Diacanu

atp-

*Mulls it over some more*

Y'know, when I hear you whining and mewling about "political attacks", when the topic is religion infesting the politics of Europe, or Turkey, or wherever, then you won't be a little hypocritical bitch.

But, you are, so again, kiss my ass.

Kiss my ass under Filene's bay window.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:54:00 UTC | #237911

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 21 by Diacanu

Laurie-

(As conservative douche)
Well, golly gee willikers, I can't reject a purty little MILF, the bigger boys on the playground will call me queer!

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:58:00 UTC | #237913

BrandySpears's Avatar Comment 22 by BrandySpears

My favourite part of Sam's article is how he points out that the conservative crowd would have a problem with a black pregnant teenager and a black boyfriend who might marry her.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:59:00 UTC | #237914

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 23 by Laurie Fraser

Haha - BTW, I know I'm probably being ridiculously out of touch here, but I've seen that acronym (MILF) several times on this site. What does it stand for?

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:00:00 UTC | #237915

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 24 by Diacanu

Mom I'd Like to Fuck

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:01:00 UTC | #237916

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 25 by Laurie Fraser

Eeeeeyuuuch! Sorry, mate, but as we say over here - I wouldn't fuck her with YOUR dick!

*exit, stage left*

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:03:00 UTC | #237917

Tumara Baap's Avatar Comment 26 by Tumara Baap

Sarah Palin is a Philip Cooney, Monica Goodling, George Deutsch, Julie MacDonald, and David Hager rolled into one.

Most Americans may not be familiar with all of these names. But ask them whether McCain has chosen yet another Brownie, and they'll know exactly what you're talking about. It's high time the public familiarizes itself with the nation's litany of Brownies, and how much McCain is doing to further this peculiar Bush legacy.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:04:00 UTC | #237918

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 27 by Steve Zara

atp-

Palin supports teaching of creationism. She rejects the views of biologists.

Palin rejects anthropogenic global warming. She rejects the views of virtually all experts in climate science.

Someone with such contempt for any expert views that conflict with her warm fuzzy hockey-mom view of the world should not be allowed anywhere near the nuclear button.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:08:00 UTC | #237919

BrandySpears's Avatar Comment 28 by BrandySpears

Tumara, your so right. Brownie did a "heckuva job" (bushism) with dead bodies tied to stops signs so they wouldn't float away.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:10:00 UTC | #237920

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 29 by Laurie Fraser

Comment #251012 by Steve Zara

You forgot to mention culling those pesky, population-exploding, polar bears, Steve.

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:13:00 UTC | #237922

BrandySpears's Avatar Comment 30 by BrandySpears

atp, When Sarah Palin was campaigning for the Governor of Alaska, she said "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the subject -- creationism and evolution. It's been a healthy foundation for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides."

Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:15:00 UTC | #237923