← The sexiest man living!

The sexiest man living! - Comments

Sean's Avatar Comment 1 by Sean

That was... well, interesting. To each his/her own, i suppose.

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:22:00 UTC | #8068

Skeptic Jim's Avatar Comment 2 by Skeptic Jim

Disturbing

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:25:00 UTC | #8070

Simmons's Avatar Comment 3 by Simmons

Honestly, Josh, (or whosoever posted this) isn't this a bit over the top?

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:37:00 UTC | #8071

Yorker's Avatar Comment 4 by Yorker

I agree with Lauren about one thing; intelligence is sexy. I've always had a thing for intelligent women, the older I get the hornier they make me! Well...at least in my mind they do.

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:44:00 UTC | #8073

Skeptic Jim's Avatar Comment 5 by Skeptic Jim

*curls up in foetal position*

LA LA LA. LA LA LA. OLD MACDONALD HAD A FARM EI EI O.

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:45:00 UTC | #8074

Roy's Avatar Comment 6 by Roy

Was that written by Private Eye's 'Glenda Slagg' ?

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:02:00 UTC | #8078

Randy Ping's Avatar Comment 7 by Randy Ping

No complaining. I've been waiting for this kind of attitude my whole life!
Good on ya, Richard!

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:20:00 UTC | #8080

digitalsaint's Avatar Comment 8 by digitalsaint

Im glad this was posted.
I further shows we atheists are well-rounded. We're not just about science and reason. Humor and fanciful crushes are not lost on us.

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:27:00 UTC | #8081

Christopher's Avatar Comment 9 by Christopher

Count me among those who unabashedly admit to having a Man Crush on the good Doctor!

Over the top? Well, yes.

Off the mark? Open to debate maybe.

Hugely entertaining? Most certainly!

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:32:00 UTC | #8082

Aussie's Avatar Comment 10 by Aussie

Positive press like this is a marketing godsend. What many aethiests and scientists also do not understand is that effective marketing is essential in gaining ground on the well-organised and well-financed opposition. It is even worth considering emulating the tactics of the televangelists who unarguably have a winning recipe for success.

Following on from the Ted Haggard debacle though we will have to be vigilant to ensure that Richard himself does not betray his public persona by becoming a closet Christian, attending clandestine revival meetings etc, to ensure his place in Heaven, while all his followers march inexorably to eternal damnation.

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:37:00 UTC | #8084

Anat's Avatar Comment 11 by Anat

Any other famous atheists on the list? I think the other 2 musketeers would qualify.

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:42:00 UTC | #8086

Aussie's Avatar Comment 12 by Aussie

What Richard needs to do to lift his game:

Develop an ear-to-ear toothpaste-ad smile.

Pace backwards and forwards across the stage during presentations raising the palms skyward at frequent intervals.

Periodically thump a dog-eared copy of Origin of Species constantly carried in his left hand.

Appeal for interactive responses from the audience. "How come we are all gathered here today!!" The answer "Natural Selection!!" "Come on everybody. Shout it out together!" "NATURAL SELECTION!!!"

Regularly threaten the audience with the certainty of intellectual necrosis, thermonuclear anialation, with eternal separation from the only life they will ever enjoy.

Accompany his presentations with trendy rock music

Walk amongst the flock, pushing them over one by one, decreeing that they are now cured from their delusions and its associated psychological damage.

Set up a series of "Inquisition Houses" to scare the living daylights out of small children, dramatising in horrific detail the suffering (burning at the stake, boiling in oil etc) that will be endured if we return to any form of Dark Age.

Institute a system of tithing to swell the RDF coffers and supplement this with occasional exhortations to "Give until it hurts".

Write his next book on the subject of dieting - "Slimming with Darwin"

Come on Richard you can do it!

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:09:00 UTC | #8090

Aussie's Avatar Comment 13 by Aussie

2000 years ago almost all religious bigots missed the First Coming. Now it looks as though today's bigots have similarly missed the Second Coming.

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:55:00 UTC | #8091

woollybear's Avatar Comment 14 by woollybear

I totally get Dawkins' sex appeal. I also have a crush on him. :) And I also think this is good publicity for him, even if a little silly. In the context of the article it works.

Did you all see who Salon's #1 choice was? Stephen Colbert!

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:58:00 UTC | #8093

Aussie's Avatar Comment 15 by Aussie

Lalla beware!!

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:08:00 UTC | #8094

realitybites's Avatar Comment 16 by realitybites

He is extremely sexy. She summed up my sentiments exactly!

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:33:00 UTC | #8096

Randy Ping's Avatar Comment 17 by Randy Ping

You know, I think everybody should pick your tongues up off the floor and get back to work.
:P

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:41:00 UTC | #8101

Kelly's Avatar Comment 18 by Kelly

Well, there are pictures of Richard Dawkins all over the website... including the slideshow at the top, where he is featured in every single photo. I feel as though I have been encouraged to gaze at Richard while I browse new articles about science and reason.

As a lesbian, I don't have an opinion on questions of sex appeal... but I'm glad that atheists are too independent to form true personality cults. Richard is a simply a great writer and an engaging speaker, and it's fun to follow his travels as he advances the cause.

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:15:00 UTC | #8105

Imagine's Avatar Comment 19 by Imagine

Haha, the article was cute and funny. And I agree that this is good publicity for the cause.

And more importantly, any world that starts to favor intelligence over facial features is a world where I have a chance!

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:55:00 UTC | #8106

Will's Avatar Comment 20 by Will

The article keys in with something which I was thinking about very recently.

I confess to having a, somewhat depraved, taste for Susan Howatch's books: Glittering Images, A Question of Integrity etc. They're undemanding reading, and the ones which I like most have a spiritual, or mystical, dimension. The plot always tends to be the same: someone falls into a deep spiritual/emotional crisis from which s/he is rescued by a terribly understanding and personable Church of England clergyman. Then often, in the next book in the series, the clergyman who has done the rescuing falls into a spiritual/emotional crisis from which he is rescued…. (Yes, honestly – believe it or not, the books really do make quite good reading, even for atheists. But I suggest that, as a matter of principle, atheists should only buy second hand copies in charity shops.)

I'm now waiting for Susan Howatch to write the book in which the villain is the madly attractive occupant of a Chair in the Public Understanding of Science who lures impressionable women (and men) to their doom. Or perhaps the person having the spiritual crisis might be the madly attractive occupant of the Chair, and who comes to understand by page 400 that (in a deeply spiritual sense, naturally) there's something to be said for Creationism…

Sat, 18 Nov 2006 01:07:00 UTC | #8111

Aussie's Avatar Comment 21 by Aussie

If any of you besotted girls are ultimately unsuccessful in your quest for Richard, I would like to let you know that I am also a scientist, over sixty with a verrrry sexy Australian accent. Although not as wealthy as Richard, nor with an aristocratic lineage, I am nevertheless descended from genuine convict stock. Drop me an email if ever you get lonely.

Sat, 18 Nov 2006 01:16:00 UTC | #8112

rob's Avatar Comment 22 by rob

Here's some stuff by the author (only of the Richard Dawkins part, not the whole article). Quite the atheist she is. And she's not so bad herself...

I can't describe Dawkins as sexy, being male and all, but I think he is charming and easy to look at. I'd be happy to look like him when I'm his age.

Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:17:00 UTC | #8171

Ben Jennings's Avatar Comment 23 by Ben Jennings

<<< Honestly, Josh, (or whosoever posted this) isn't this a bit over the top?>>>

Er, why? It's a great article.

Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:14:00 UTC | #8193

Grace's Avatar Comment 24 by Grace

Wow. Well...whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't have used quite that language, but intelligence, wonder, rationality, and (of course) British accents are certainly dead sexy. And from what I've seen of Professor Dawkins, he IS quite charming. For me personally, it only extends to a vague schoolgirl admiration...older guys are fine, but nearly a half century older is a bit much.

It's a silly article, but hey, any publicity's good publicity, right?

Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:41:00 UTC | #8230

Rachael's Avatar Comment 25 by Rachael

Screw you guys! Dawkins is 100% my kind of beautiful.

Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:25:00 UTC | #8248

nancyjesse's Avatar Comment 26 by nancyjesse

Have to agree with the above ladies, I too have lusted for Richard. He personifies the perfect male; rich, cultured, handsome, smart, sexy and that enchanting accent! I'm in love.

Sun, 19 Nov 2006 02:07:00 UTC | #8280

Jenna's Avatar Comment 27 by Jenna

My personnal vote for sexiest intellectual would have to be Richard Belzer. He is beyond amasing. I love the way he destroyed Ann Coulter on "Real Time with Bill Maher", but Prof Dawkins does have lovely hair and an absolutely beautiful voice. Although everytime my husband reads lists like this, he rolls his eyes and says that women should choose men as "sexy" based upon if the men make them want to actually have sex. Good point, I think. Jenna

Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:30:00 UTC | #8353

Jared's Avatar Comment 28 by Jared

I have to admit, the ladies' responses here have me almost wanting to revert my stance on not becoming an academic! Maybe what everyone has always said about brains trumping beauty is actually true.

Although I guess film studies isn't exactly as contentious or logically rigorous a discipline as evolutionary biology. And I'm certainly not rich...or British...or charming. Darn.

But I am studying in England...and I'm kind of smart...so maybe that counts for something, eh?

Cheers!

Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:14:00 UTC | #8562

walter's Avatar Comment 29 by walter

Sex appeal is an aspect of Mr. Dawkins that I suspect, no doubt out of modesty, he has not utilized to full advantage in the promotion of his cause.
I'm reminded of a presidential debate between John Kennedy and Richard Nixon back in the sixties. Most people who heard the broadcast via radio thought that Nixon won while most people who saw the televised broadcast thought Kennedy won. Go figure!
It is also noteworthy that any prettyboy could make an evangelist but only a bright one a scientist. So it only stands to reason that, seeing the effect Dawkins has over women, sooner or later the fundamentalists will pluck some chippendale off the streets and make him THEIR 'guru'.

Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:48:00 UTC | #8698

James's Avatar Comment 30 by James

Intelligence, humour and a little mystery have always been a powerful aphrodisiac.

The voice must be part of it too. Maybe he should start his next lecture with "Dhinng, dhonng." and a salacious wink to the front row.

Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:10:00 UTC | #9781