← Coming soon: 'In God We Trust' tags

Coming soon: 'In God We Trust' tags - Comments

Ford Prefect's Avatar Comment 1 by Ford Prefect

Obviously negates the need for car insurance.

Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:44:00 UTC | #242886

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 2 by mordacious1

The Florida State Motto is "In god We Trust"? That explains the Bush election fiasco...

I say, buy your oranges from California until they change it.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:11:00 UTC | #242893

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 3 by Lisa Bauer

mordacious1 wrote:

I say, buy your oranges from California until they change it.

It's true that California has a better motto (Eureka, "I have found it"), but there are several other state mottos that mention God:

Arizona - Ditat Deus (God enriches)
Colorado - Nil sine numine (Nothing without God's will/Providence)
Kentucky - Deo gratiam habeamus (Let us be grateful to God)
Ohio - With God all things are possible
South Dakota - Under God the people rule

Personally I prefer Virginia's Sic semper tyrannis (Thus always to tyrants)...

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:50:00 UTC | #242907

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 4 by mordacious1

Layla

Ever notice how those states you mention vote?

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:53:00 UTC | #242909

dvespertilio's Avatar Comment 6 by dvespertilio

Pity for me! I live in Florida. I'm so very, very tired of living with these idiots. Ah, well, guess I'll just have to make the best of it.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:03:00 UTC | #242916

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 5 by Lisa Bauer

mordacious1 wrote:

Layla

Ever notice how those states you mention vote?

*shrugs* Lots of states considered to fall into the "hardcore fundie" category do NOT have such mottos, like Mississippi and Alabama. Also, states aren't the only entities with mottos. I mean, the motto of Oxford University is Dominus illuminatio mea (The Lord is my light), that of Princeton is Dei sub numine viget (Under God's power she flourishes), and that of Brown University is In Deo speramus (In God we hope), just to take a few elite university examples. (Just to unfairly pick on Dawkins here, his old boarding school Oundle has the motto "God grant grace.") So don't read too much into a motto!

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:03:00 UTC | #242914

GBile's Avatar Comment 7 by GBile

It will be a spectacular sight when the the first car-crash involving two cars with these 'uplifting' license plates takes place.

How do you show that on the news ?

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:16:00 UTC | #242920

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 8 by mordacious1

Layla

Those universties you mentioned are all private schools, they can have any motto they like.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:17:00 UTC | #242923

TalkyMeat's Avatar Comment 9 by TalkyMeat

Pfft. As long as no-one's being made to display unwanted theological pronouncements on their bumpers, I say this comes under the heading of "not worth raising your blood pressure over". Not saying it doesn't suck - just saying is doesn't suck enough to care about, given all the other fucked-up stuff going on in the USA.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:18:00 UTC | #242924

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 10 by mordacious1

Layla

The motto at my school was:
"CLEAN MIND, CLEAN BODY...

Take your pick."

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:31:00 UTC | #242931

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 11 by Szymanowski

Layla

Yes but New College, Oxford, has the much more appropriate motto, "Manners makyth man".

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 02:24:00 UTC | #242958

brainsys's Avatar Comment 12 by brainsys

When European plates were first offered in the UK there was an opportunity to add a short motto. As a frequent visitor to France I was tempted to add "Remember Agincourt"

I funked out on it. Good call. Best call is nothing on the reg plate but reg info. The place for opinions is on the bumper!

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 02:47:00 UTC | #242976

Ex~'s Avatar Comment 13 by Ex~

>*Require a minimum sentence of life
>imprisonment for anyone who kills or
>attempts to kill a law-enforcement officer.

Yikes. This will totally not be abused.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 03:52:00 UTC | #243021

suffolkthinker's Avatar Comment 14 by suffolkthinker

Well to be really pedantic The University of Oxford operates under a royal charter, but since in the UK we sadly do not have seperation of church and state that makes no difference.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 04:36:00 UTC | #243061

jimbob's Avatar Comment 15 by jimbob

If Florida were less religious it might be more apt to state the truth and have the following slogans:

In gouging tourists we trust!

and/or:

In exploiting minorities we trust!

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 05:53:00 UTC | #243118

Olliedog's Avatar Comment 16 by Olliedog

I prefer New Hampshire's plate myself:

"Live Free or Die"

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 06:13:00 UTC | #243140

Gamma ut's Avatar Comment 17 by Gamma ut

Olliedog:

Ditto!

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 06:43:00 UTC | #243164

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 18 by robotaholic

I want one that says "Still Denying Evolution? Ask you Doctor about extreme drug resistance..."

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:29:00 UTC | #243204

passutoba's Avatar Comment 19 by passutoba

robotaholic......that'll be a pretty wide car.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:08:00 UTC | #243231

Swordmaiden's Avatar Comment 20 by Swordmaiden

Should we have a motto? I like just "Live Free"...without the die bit, or "Trust No One"....ummm..."All things are possible".....or what about..
Nostrum dedecus est ut subsisto silens
(Our shame is to stand silent) ?? Bit long for a number plate though!

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:11:00 UTC | #243234

Aquambulus hirsutus's Avatar Comment 21 by Aquambulus hirsutus

I guess Idaho will vote for McCain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ID_1996_SAMPLE.jpg

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:27:00 UTC | #243302

bluebird's Avatar Comment 22 by bluebird

A segue from car tags to dog tags---recent local news:http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=20603

EDIT: Hi liberalartist, actually, "the show-me state" is our state's nickname (I like it too!); Missouri's state motto is: 'The welfare of the people shall be the supreme law'.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:13:00 UTC | #243318

liberalartist's Avatar Comment 23 by liberalartist

I have always liked Missouri's motto: "The Show-Me State". It has a ring of skepticism to it.

As for the life sentence thing, I'm pretty sure if you killed a cop in Florida you would end up on death row anyway, so what's the point. And putting someone in jail for speeding? As if there's any room! Oh, the south and its draconian justice! If they could, they would bring back chain gangs.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:39:00 UTC | #243354

blakjack's Avatar Comment 24 by blakjack

A good one would be:

"Nill illigitimi carborundum"

Jack

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:50:00 UTC | #243357

DoobyTheCat's Avatar Comment 25 by DoobyTheCat

When I think of, or hear, latinĂ¢Â€"the phrase "Prostibuli eligantia" always pops into my head. I can't remember where it came from.

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:30:00 UTC | #243491

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 26 by Lisa Bauer

Lest we forget, "In God We Trust" isn't just the Florida state motto but also the United States' official motto.

It's even in the fourth stanza of the national anthem, "The Star Spangled Banner" (well, sort of):
Then conquer we must, when our cause. it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"

Perhaps the US should adopt "My Country 'Tis of Thee" as the national anthem, as it's easier to sing and has the same melody as the British anthem, "God Save The Queen"! Quite a few American kids have wondered why, after a British person had won a gold medal at the Olympics, they played "My Country 'Tis of Thee!"

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:22:00 UTC | #243521

Geoff's Avatar Comment 27 by Geoff

I hope they'll paint out the letter 't' before the cars are consigned to the scrap heap...

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:02:00 UTC | #243816

j.mills's Avatar Comment 28 by j.mills

Layla said:

Don't do that. The tune is a miserable dirge, and "God Save The Queen" mentions two insupportable institutions in the title alone! :(

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:36:00 UTC | #243883

Driver's Avatar Comment 29 by Driver

On the bright side, these plates could serve as warning signs that Jesus could take the wheel of these particular cars at any moment. We would know to keep our distance.

By the way, if these plates are offered at no extra cost, then who is paying for them? Oh yeah, the rest of us.

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:58:00 UTC | #243896

King of NH's Avatar Comment 30 by King of NH

I agree, Olliedog, but then I'm a tad biased.

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:16:00 UTC | #243913