← Catholic priests cane YouTube over blasphemous vids

Catholic priests cane YouTube over blasphemous vids - Comments

Darwin's badger's Avatar Comment 1 by Darwin's badger

Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:28:00 UTC | #245677

Nick LaRue's Avatar Comment 2 by Nick LaRue

They already started pulling YouTube "blasphemous" videos. Even videos that weren't the "host" but people picking on a defenseless cracker have been pulled.

The real question is, what's next? Banning The God Delusion videos?

Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:31:00 UTC | #245678

reason-first's Avatar Comment 3 by reason-first

What's all the fuss about?

After all, it is only an ordinary biscuit.

Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:33:00 UTC | #245680

Lev-CapeTown's Avatar Comment 4 by Lev-CapeTown

I think thats disgusting. I have two imaginary friends of my own and I would be heart-broken if someone ate them or flushed them down the toilet...Why don't you bullies pick on someone who can defend themselves... i.e someone that actually exists... Who's with me for flushing priests down the toilet?

Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:39:00 UTC | #245682

the way's Avatar Comment 5 by the way

YouTube is likely to be untroubled by thoughts of arthritic Catholic knees having to park themselves on chilled marble if it means giving up its own "we believe our community should police itself" dogma.

The priests need to take a few leaves out of the book of Islam. They seem to have no problem getting clips taken down.

Edit: Or the book of Dianetics!

Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:41:00 UTC | #245683

SixxSixxSixx's Avatar Comment 6 by SixxSixxSixx

Couldn't agree more. They're disgusting people for trying to equate the two.

Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:42:00 UTC | #245684

8teist's Avatar Comment 7 by 8teist

Blasphemy is a VICTIMLESS crime.

Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:54:00 UTC | #245685

black wolf's Avatar Comment 8 by black wolf

Priests, repeat after me: "The Holocaust happened, and real people were murdered. A cracker is not made of flesh, contains no flesh nor blood least life, or ever has or will acquire such properties by performing a magical ritual over it."
If you think slandering and insulting the memory of murdered relatives is equatable to showing disrespect to mumbo-jumbo that doesn't deserve such, you need professional help. I suggest turning yourselves in until they find a medication or therapy that helps.
Who was it who said something like: "Censorship is the only argument someone without arguments has"?
You see, I feel insulted and mocked every time public television broadcasts hours of droning rituals in reverence to bronze age magic. Do I resort to moral blackmail? No, because I think that sort of behavior is unworthy of a dignified human being. Seems to me that clergy are a few steps behind understanding dignity. How about being mature and addressing the eucharist issues in a rational discussion with educated people instead?
Oh, you have? And you lost? Too bad, get over it, get a real job, and stop fleecing people by manipulating their emotions and planting idiotic delusions in their heads. Mistreating a biscuit hurts your emotions? See, that's what we call a taste of your own medicine.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:15:00 UTC | #245688

dochmbi's Avatar Comment 9 by dochmbi

Links to host-jacking videos please?

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:24:00 UTC | #245689

Mayhemm's Avatar Comment 10 by Mayhemm

"If they can't see the difference between urinating on an Holocaust memorial and being unkind to a cracker, they really need to get some f&cking perspective."

Well said. I wouldn't even list the holocaust video as offensive to Jews. It should be offensive to ANYBODY. That guy should be tasered in the balls.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:24:00 UTC | #245690

passutoba's Avatar Comment 11 by passutoba

i think hosts would be good with a little roquefort and half a cherry tomato on top....and so jesus in the mouth becomes cheesus.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:29:00 UTC | #245692

geehigh's Avatar Comment 12 by geehigh

Comment #259128 by SmilingAtheist

The real question is, what's next? Banning The God Delusion videos?

Why not? Once this snowball starts rolling, who knows where it's going to end up?

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:31:00 UTC | #245693

fsm1965's Avatar Comment 13 by fsm1965

Get real, a cracker is a cracker!

(Part of me wishes they would keep doing ridiculous things like this, and the sheeple would see how daft religion is, and it would collapse under the weight of it's own absurdities).

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:39:00 UTC | #245695

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 14 by DamnDirtyApe

7. Comment #259135 by 8teist on October 3, 2008 at 12:54 am

That might make a good bumper sticker or badge.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:01:00 UTC | #245700

jusdefacts's Avatar Comment 15 by jusdefacts

Hey, everyone. Sorry I can't stay to add more, but here's the confraternity's e-mail. CONFRATERNITY@CATHOLIC-CLERGY.ORG.And it copies in caps, too. Odd.
Interestingly enough, an alternative email begins with the words...opusdei...ring any (church) bells?
Their website is a scream.Like a tranny site, loads of pics of ugly guys in dresses, oh, yeah and requests for cash. Here it is http://www.catholic-clergy.org/
Don't eat anything before you view it, these fucktards are weird.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:04:00 UTC | #245701

SnowyDoc's Avatar Comment 16 by SnowyDoc

fsm1965...

We can but live in hope, my friend... :)

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:05:00 UTC | #245702

EvidenceOnly's Avatar Comment 17 by EvidenceOnly

During stone-age catholic rituals, crackers are transubstantiated into Gerin Oil :)

For an explanation of its effect on people, see:

http://www.anst.uu.se/dla05000/Gerin Oil.html

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:12:00 UTC | #245706

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 18 by Steve Zara

Oh dear. I am one of those annoying "can see both sides" people.

Whether we like it or not, millions of Catholics believe that the host is something special.

If we feel that they need to change their minds, we need to do a bit better in terms of arguments. We need to talk about whether or not it is reasonable to expect miracles to happen, about supernaturalism, and about interpretation of religious texts. Currently, most of the arguments seem to be like this:

"Get over it. You are wrong!"

Some people may think this is effective and devastating, but I don't, (even though it is true!)

Arguments have to be won, and people have to be persuaded. I'll bet that the majority of Catholics haven't really thought about what transubstantiation is, and could be persuaded that nothing is really happening once they start to think.

But just telling them "you are wrong" and committing what they think of as blasphemy is probably going to have a counterproductive effect - it will harden attitudes rather than change minds.

I am totally against censorship of videos, but I also think that those performing supposedly blashphemous acts should think about what they are actually trying to achieve.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:23:00 UTC | #245711

Apemanblues's Avatar Comment 19 by Apemanblues

It must be nice believing in magic biscuits.

I like a cracker as much as the next man, but without a slice of stilton and a glass of port the magic just doesn't seem to be there.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:34:00 UTC | #245717

Ygern's Avatar Comment 20 by Ygern

Thanks for the link, jusdefacts.

Did you see - they've been doing penance for PZ Myers!

The Confraternity of Catholic Clergy is proposing Friday as a national day of prayer and fasting in the wake of the desecration of the Eucharist by a Minnesota professor.

Although I don't think they're taking it that seriously seeing as their idea of fasting is:
one full meal, two smaller ones, no snacks
which would pretty much be a normal day's eating to me. Fasting, my arse.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:38:00 UTC | #245718

skip's Avatar Comment 21 by skip

I am confused, as there are a whole whack of desecration videos on you tube and I seem to be able to watch them all. I am in Canada.

Is it possible that they have missed that many? Perhaps they have blocked them based on country of complaint origin?

Can anyone else see them?

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:43:00 UTC | #245720

alexmzk's Avatar Comment 22 by alexmzk

A group of US priests has demanded YouTube show Catholics the same respect it shows to Jews when it comes to removing sacrilegeous videos.

an ideological identity should (by default) never command the same protection as an ethnic identity.

edit: imagine "UK conservative party demands the same respect as granted to people of African American heritage".

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:44:00 UTC | #245721

bucketchemist's Avatar Comment 23 by bucketchemist

I don't wish to seem provocative, but could someone tell me why urinating on a holocaust memorial is cause for moral censure, ideally without recourse to terms like 'respect' or 'feelings'. Understand, I'm absolutely not defending this action, or equating it with cracker-molestation, but I would like to hear a defence of the moral outrage associated with the one that does not also apply to the other.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:50:00 UTC | #245722

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 24 by Quetzalcoatl

bucketchemist-

Respect and feelings are what it is about. For the same reason that you might be a little annoyed if someone took a dump on your mother's grave.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:53:00 UTC | #245723

SixxSixxSixx's Avatar Comment 25 by SixxSixxSixx

Comment #259161 by Steve Zara

You make good points but it's difficult to "see both sides" of the implied assertion that desecrating a waffer is akin to pissing on an Holocaust memorial.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:57:00 UTC | #245724

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 26 by rod-the-farmer

OK, who is up for making and posting a video, perhaps even a live web cam, of a cracker, after being blessed or whatever the priest does, but then put on a plate and left there ? The camera would show the cracker sitting there, and maybe we could have a digital clock ticking in the background, while we all wait for it to shape-shift into something/someone else. Imagine having this happen in real time, so everyone could see it !! I would do this myself, but I don't know how to do a live webcam, nor would I ever sit through a catholic Ceremony of the Crackers.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:57:00 UTC | #245725

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 27 by Steve Zara

Comment #259174 by SixxSixxSixx

I agree. I think that assertion is pretty offensive.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 01:59:00 UTC | #245727

the way's Avatar Comment 28 by the way

I thought Comment 8 by black wolf answers that question very well.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:00:00 UTC | #245728

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 29 by DamnDirtyApe

Steve is right. Its through reasonable discourse, not belittling them that we can get through to people.

Although some of them have no concept of reason, if folks recall some of the worst trolls encountered here. Its a little hard to keep talking straight when the person on the other end has turned into a unusually loud brick wall.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:02:00 UTC | #245729

L.Minnik's Avatar Comment 30 by L.Minnik

I think that one good thing that comes from showing blasphemy in public is that it counters some of the fear that keeps people in line with their religion.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:32:00 UTC | #245734